• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 - play PS3 games in 60+ FPS (and 21:9)

tusharngf

If this works, it will be a welcome way of playing:

- Condemned 2
- The Darkness
- Red Dead Redemption
- Metal Gear Solid 2-4
- Demon Souls
- God of War PSP & 1-3
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2
- Infamous 1 & 2
- Killzone 2 & 3
- Tales of Xillia 1 & 2
- Jak and Daxter Trilogy

Think most of those weren't releae on PC, and having it just sitting around has been a waste since I got rid of my PS3 several years ago.

I have tested ninja gaiden sigma.. runs like 50 fps on my 1070 ryzen1600.

Armorian

Banned
So I found out it's possible to play Persona 5 in 21:9, it's a bit complicated but results are worth it, officially the best version of the game with ultrawide and 60FPS :messenger_winking: Tutorial

bb8BaseProfileScreensho.png
212BaseProfileScreensho.png
636BaseProfileScreensho.png
ef8BaseProfileScreensho.png
e7fBaseProfileScreensho.png

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I remember trying to set this emulator up before but it was a gigantic pain in the ass.

Using weird terminology for things I'm the menus, that kinda stuff.

Once you get past the PS2/GameCube era of emulators, emulators generally become a massive pain to install and work no matter how good they are.

This PS3 one though, unless you're committed and willing to spend a lot of time with it, I'd suggest nah.

MMaRsu

Banned
I remember trying to set this emulator up before but it was a gigantic pain in the ass.

Once you get past the PS2/GameCube era of emulators, emulators generally become a massive pain to install and work no matter how good they are.

This PS3 one though, unless you're committed and willing to spend a lot of time with it, I'd suggest nah.
I barely did anything to set this up and its easy as pie

mcjmetroid

I barely did anything to set this up and its easy as pie
Perhaps it got a lot better UI wise.

I'll be honest though like I was saying I didn't really have the commitment or patience for PS3 like I did for other consoles.

A lot of PS3 games have appeared on other systems and I was never a big fan of the way games looked back then, this was around the time I fell out with games.

Armorian

Banned
If PS3 emulation has been solved imagine how easy PS4 and PS5 will be in the future.

Games that were super heavy/specialized on SPUs still have a way to go - they can be playable but with lot of stuff missing (like SSAO for example) - Uncharted series, TLoU, KZ2/3 and GOW3/A (but this one could be considered quite ok at this point). But most games run perfectly fine even without monster CPUs, with a lot higher resolutions and framerate.

Perhaps it got a lot better UI wise.

I'll be honest though like I was saying I didn't really have the commitment or patience for PS3 like I did for other consoles.

A lot of PS3 games have appeared on other systems and I was never a big fan of the way games looked back then, this was around the time I fell out with games.

I think right now it's quite easy to use, most games will run without any tweaking once firmware is installed

kiphalfton

Got my bluray drive (LG WH14NS40) in the mail yesterday. Gonna hopefully get a chance to install it in my PC and try it out... granted I still need to set up the rpcs3 software first and get all the necessary files.

How long does it take to set up the rpcs3 software? I've had experience with pcs2, cemu, and dolphin, though that was a whole back, but it didn't seem too involved getting those set up iirc.

9 months later and I still haven't installed my blu-ray drive.

This is what bring lazy looks like.

Hopefully it's actually compatible and works as intended, as the return period ended a long ass time ago.

YCoCg

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time running in 4k60 looks pretty damn good and holds up very well, Sony themselves could've released this and people would be happy:

Banned
I really need to try RPCS3 soon... I now have a 5600X so this should run really well... I might get my USB Blueray drive out of the drawer and rip MGS4

Cryio

If this works, it will be a welcome way of playing:

- Condemned 2
- The Darkness
- Red Dead Redemption
- Metal Gear Solid 2-4
- Demon Souls
- God of War PSP & 1-3
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2
- Infamous 1 & 2
- Killzone 2 & 3
- Tales of Xillia 1 & 2
- Jak and Daxter Trilogy

Think most of those weren't releae on PC, and having it just sitting around has been a waste since I got rid of my PS3 several years ago.

Condemned 2: Still broken in RPCS3 AFAIK, perfect rendering in Xenia. FPS unlocked, rez scaling works
Darkness 1: Recently fixed in RPCS3. Perfect rendering. Very good performance. FOV patch available. AF breaks some visuals. Rez scaling doesn't work.
RDR1: Very bad performance still in RPCS3. Close to twice or thrice faster in Xenia currently.
MGS 2-3-4: MGS2 can be modded for correct visuals on PC. It already runs great as far as system requirements go. MGS3? The PS2 and PS3 require presure sensitive Dualshock controllers, which ... almost nobody has. Xenia port of MGS Collection mapped the pressure sensitive actions to L3 and R3 AFAIR. MGS4? It's getting there. Still very iffy.
Demon's Souls: 4K60 easy
God of War PS2/PSP: work perfectly / 4K60
Ninja Gaiden Sigma: Play them on PC
Infamous: still very high system requirements
Killzone 2 / 3: still very high system requirements
Tales: dunno
Jak and Daxter: All 3 runs better than on PCSX2. Look better too due to higher rez textures and better LODs. Jak 2 and 3 don't have checkpoints working, only manual saves.

Cryio

Did you .. actually use RPCS3? Recently and not 4-5 years ago anyway?

You download and load the PS3 firmware in RPCS3 and that's it ...

You can drag and drop ISOs and unzipped folders into RPCS3 and it will work. Default config is fine for most games. Game patches, if any, are 1 right click away. You don't need to configure anything,. You can DECIDE to alter VBLANK for 60 fps or resolution scaling if you want to.

I didn't even have to configure my controller.

Last edited:

Cryio

It's CPU intensive. It also becomes GPU intensive if you try to downsample from 5K or higher resolutions.

Top Bottom