• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 (PS3 Emulator) Introduces high resolution rendering support

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
wow, didn't boot last time I tried.

Yup just took some screens in this recent version to see if they fixed anything and it doesn't look like much has changed.
xePfmgL.png

okVxyXZ.png

FingerBang

I bought Ni no Kuni on PS3 but never played since, well, I don't like using my PS3 anymore. But a sharp 1080p? Count me in!

SlashX

We need some Killzone 3/ Resistance 3 shots in 4k. The latter being significantly held back by it's resolution.

tuxfool

Banned
I would never understand why every emulator prioritize 4k instead of compatible or performance

Because rendering at a higher resolution is a low hanging fruit. It is comparatively easy when compared to the arduous journey that is increasing compatibility and improving emulation quality.

MUnited83

For you.
I would never understand why every emulator prioritize 4k instead of compatible or performance

It's not a question of prioritizing anything actually. They didn't work on instead of compability or performance, arbitrary resolution support is just one of the many features they work on. Arbitrary resolution support is relatively easy to implement.
Compability and performance takes year and years of complex work to get close to perfect.

I hope this keeps progressing because I want to revisit my PS3 games with that IQ. Phew.

I should start thinking about investing in a newer CPU.

Those look great. Can't wait to experience it myself one day. I can't believe how far PS3 emulation has come. I thought it would be well into the 2020s before strides were going to be made based on Cells complicated architecture.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Those look great. Can't wait to experience it myself one day. I can't believe how far PS3 emulation has come. I thought it would be well into the 2020s before strides were going to be made based on Cells complicated architecture.

well the CPU's are still too slow to get full speed just brute forcing. But maybe Sony, if they were so inclined could make a emulator next gen using Zen architecture. I mean they'll be as close to high end CPUs as they ever have been at that point, and they do have all the PS3 documentation just laying around that these emu creators don't even have

Vipu

Banned
Soon we have backward compatibility to all consoles.

Meanwhile there is barely any on consoles, just make "remaster HD" to change resolution a bit to sell the same game again for 60$.

Roni

Gold Member
The PS3 has a pretty kickass library... But, most important of all, is the only console that can play all core MGS games. Having this on the PC will be awesome!

Bulzeeb

what!!? are games really playable? if so, how can I rip the games? I wouldn't mind finally finishing some games I left back at my family home when I moved to another city.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm glad all these demon's souls screens take place in the tutorial area. I always thought that place was too forgotten for how interesting / unique it looked.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are current PCs powerful enough for full speed PS3/360 emulation or is this a future builds thing?

some games certainly can be run at full speed now, but other games you most definitely need stronger HW. We're talking about brute forcing a very complex architecture here, and the closer the software came to full SPU utilization, the harder it'll be to emulate

Soon we have backward compatibility to all consoles.

Meanwhile there is barely any on consoles, just make "remaster HD" to change resolution a bit to sell the same game again for 60$.

I think there's a very good argument for remasters, but i also understand those who are angry about BC. I think PS5 will have PS4 BC, but otherwise these guys are obviously thinking in terms of business opportunity in the current age of how they can sell things back to you.

some games certainly can be run at full speed now, but other games you most definitely need stronger HW. We're talking about brute forcing a very complex architecture here, and the closer the software came to full SPU utilization, the harder it'll be to emulate

I think there's a very good argument for remasters, but i also understand those who are angry about BC. I think PS5 will have PS4 BC, but otherwise these guys are obviously thinking in terms of business opportunity in the current age of how they can sell things back to you.

I believe the current hardware is capable, especially for those with 6+ core Haswell or newer Intel processors.
The emulator's performance is continuously improving and it scales past 4 cores/threads and benefits from AVX and TSX instruction sets.

and this is why 4K assets kinda don't really exist. the texture work is primarly here, but can't be shown as the hardware wasn't capable.

Every single game they’ve showed shows a good amount of blurry textures and low poly assets, for 1080p even. You’re mistaking IQ improvements for high res assets.

I wonder what Journey looks like. I remember some of the shaders looking different or scaled back in the PS4 version. I was always curious if visual difference was caused by simply running at a higher/finer resolution.

farisr

Nice! Gonna be revisiting a lot of PS3 titles once the ps5 comes out and I do a new PC build to keep up with those games at similar fidelity.

Sentenza

They don't.

That's like saying "I don't understand why medical science gives us cough syrups rather than curing cancer".
There is a massive disparity in the effort required for each goal, and one does NOT come at expenses of the other.

Developers always have compatibility and performances as final goal. Everything else is... just making practical use of what they learned along the way.

Acidote

Can you dump a disc game if you don't have a blu-ray drive on your PC? I want to give this a try with a few of my games but I don't know how to dump them yet.

Acidote

Then it's time to put mine back in action after months and months stored in a closet. I haven't updated it in like forever, I hope I can jailbreak it.

Green Yoshi

Why does the PS3 emulation make better progress than the Xbox 360 emulation? Wasn't the Cell CPU more complicated than the Xenon CPU?

Top Bottom