• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPGSite readers top ten RPGs of 2021

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/12194-rpg-site-best-of-2021-awards-readers-choice-in-detail

10. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 1.9% (ZA/UM - Switch, PS4/PS5, Xbox, PC, Stadia)

9. Lost Judgment - 2.2% (Sega - PS4/PS5, Xbox, PC)

8. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox - 2.5% (NIS America - Switch, PS4, Xbox, PC, Stadia)

7. Scarlet Nexus - 2.6% (Bandai Namco - PS4/PS5, Xbox, PC)

6. Bravely Default II - 3.1% (Nintendo/Square Enix - Switch, PC)

Advertisement. Keep scrolling for more
5. NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... - 4.8% (Square Enix- PS4, Xbox, PC)

4. NEO: The World Ends with You - 11.1% (Square Enix- PS4, Switch, PC)

3. Pathfinder: Wrath of Righteous - 11.3% (Owlcat Games - PC)

2. Tales of Arise - 17.4% (Bandai Namco - PS4/PS5, Xbox, PC)

1. Shin Megami Tensei V - 21.6% (Atlus - Switch)

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Not sure if I would count Lost Judgment as an rpg but hey glad to see it in a top. Should be number one for me then if I were to categorize it as such.

Glad to see Disco on there, should be much higher though. I can't wait to play Pathfinder, the wait for the console version is killing me.

Lunarorbit

I own 9/10 games on that list.

I didn't buy Scarlet Nexus due to the demo.
What are your favorites on the list. Trying a shin megami game for the first time and I'm really enjoying it

The only other game I tried was disco on ps5. Didn't love the controls and it just throws you on the world which is usually OK but the mechanics of the world are frustrating. I put it down but I'll try it again later in the year.

cormack12

Gold Member
What are your favorites on the list. Trying a shin megami game for the first time and I'm really enjoying it

The only other game I tried was disco on ps5. Didn't love the controls and it just throws you on the world which is usually OK but the mechanics of the world are frustrating. I put it down but I'll try it again later in the year.
I thought SMT was a musou game tbh

Fbh

Need to do some catching up as I've been mostly focusing on my backlog.

Played Disco Elysium which I recognize is great and really well written though I kinda got tired of it towards the end.
Also Played Scarlet Nexus which I thought had really fun combat but was hampered by too much anime bullshit.
And I just bought Ys IX which I'll be playing in the coming weeks.

I'm waiting until I have a next gen console for Tales of Arise and Judgment because I want those nice 60fps, and at this point I think I'll give SMTV some months to see if they announce the rumored Ps4/PC port or some enhanced edition (still feel a bit burned from spending 100 hours on P5 only for them to announce a better version).

And I'll probably pick up Nier on some sale. Looks good but I'm just not too much into remakes.

Chukhopops

I was disappointed by SMT V but it’s still a great game, just imo not as good as his legendary predecessors.

For the rest it’s a super solid list. Scarlet Nexus isn’t really an RPG to me but if you count FFVIIR or Dark Souls as one you have to be consistent.

I couldn’t get into Disco Elysium so far but I’ll try again in a few months.

Labadal

That's a tough one..

Lost Judgment is a very good game. If you have played a Yakuza game, you'll know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Brawler combat, good story and characters, and fun substories.

Ys IX is a very fun action JRPG. The exploration is fun, and you have party members with different fighting styles to control. The series is one that is good at nailing combat and soundtrack.

Bravely Default II is very fun to me, thanks to the job system. It has a lot of challenging boss fights, but with the right aetup, you can murder them. It's a budget game, but It feels like playing a good old PS1 jrpg with a world map, and card minigame.

Shin Megami Tensei V is a great game if you don't mind some challenge. The main draw for me is the demon catching/demon fusion, and the atmosphere.

NEO: TWEWY oozes charm. I don't love the combat, but it's okay. I really like everything else.

Pathfinder is a very solid game. It has great build vareity, and a lot of content. Make sure you have lots of time for this one.

The above six games are must buys, imo.

Disco Elysium is very unique. It's different from most games as it leans more into adventure game territory. It's a great game, worth a buy. Probably works better on PC.

Nier Replicant is good. The characters and story are great. The original game blew me away, because I laughed at it pre-release.

Tales of Arise is your fast food action jrpg. The series is a guilty pleasure of mine. The game will likely go down in price, sooner rather than later.

Bogeyman

Banned
This list is inexcusably missing chronicles if myrtana - archolos.

It was released towards the very end of 2021 though, so I'll cut them some slack.

Consider this a formal warning though, RPGSite. Better not screw up like this again!

Last edited:

Pejo

I personally liked Arise more than SMT, but that's probably just personal taste. Not a bad list, though I'm not sure there were more than 10 RPGs of 2021.

ethomaz

Banned
I personally liked Arise more than SMT, but that's probably just personal taste. Not a bad list, though I'm not sure there were more than 10 RPGs of 2021.
I preferes SMT combat but that is taste too.
I never played a good combat Tales since SNES.

TheStam

Love to see Pathfinder up there. I can't imagine there has ever released a single RPG with that kind of build variety. It is just ridiculous but at the same time terrifying 😅

sigmaZ

Eh. To be honest almost all these games were just mediocre. Ys 9 had excellent gameplay as usually, but the story was the biggest pos fanfic writing and direction I've seen in forever. I think Falcom should just downsize their stories. It's really lame. Fortunately you can skip cutscenes.
Tales of Arise while not groundbreaking felt like an overall decent properly executed experience. Which is rare for Tales to be honest. The biggest thing that holds it back is how insanely grindy it is and it's obviously a move to sell the experience DLC.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SMTV is my GOTY so for me its well deserved, also I enjoyed Scarlet Nexus A LOT, it even has elements that I enjoyed more than Tales of Arise like the boss fights but that game IS NOT RPG.

Last edited:

Relique

This list is inexcusably missing chronicles if myrtana - archolos.

It was released towards the very end of 2021 though, so I'll cut them some slack.

Consider this a formal warning though, RPGSite. Better not screw up like this again!
Nice choice. That's a readers choice list though, basically a popularity contest. Mods like Archolos won't make it unless they go super viral.

Buggy Loop

Bravely Default above Disco Elysium??

slap gtfo GIF

Top Bottom