• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rsident Evil 7 VR mode will be PSVR exclusive for a year.

The consumer that had the assumption it was going to be permanently exclusive to psvr like 3 months ago? Yea such a bad thing.

Meh I forgot outrage grrr

Edit: you say it's defensive yet here y'all go..
So your saying it's not as bad as it could have been? But that would still be bad right?

la_briola

Will buy it for 5$ on sale, thanks Capcpom for making the wait easy.
Smart business decisions are what I associate with them anyways.

So your saying it's not as bad as it could have been? But that would still be bad right?
Nobody said a thing about pc vr. The assumption was it was a side thing for psvr(which btw isn't even in a good state) I'm glad it's coming to pc vr instead of staying exclusive on the interior vr hardware(no shade I'm getting one)

Oh that's neat, I thought it was going to be exclusive forever.

But yo, remember when MS was anti-consumer for the TR exclusivity? Sony just looking out for all gamers!

Well one thing is a feature the other thing a entire game. Not saying it doesnt suck.

Tagyhag

Not defending it, just pointing out we are indeed discussing an incomplete product as opposed to no product at all (in the case of TR).

Ah gotcha, I consider them both anti-consumer but I can see why someone would be OK with one and not the other.

FelipeMGM

Never thought that was PSVR only forever, wouldnt really make sense. Maybe the deal involved Sony funding the porting to VR proccess, as something like Sony does with Pub Fund for indies (Guacamelee, Divekick and stuff)

It's exclusivity either way. And not because of some technical hurdle, just money.

PC gamers are essentially getting an incomplete product.

Stuff like this shouldn't be celebrated, folks!

It's like Bluray vs HD DVD.

Standardization is all about establishing a product and driving cost down through mass manufacturing.

Truly open platform are great for homebrew, though. Right?

it's pretty BS. Spend money on making some actual system sellers, not locking away games from other platforms.

I didn't realize it was locked away from other platforms entirely (Pc/XBO). Just an optional mode from accessory platforms (Oculus/Vive).

We don't even know how well done it will be on PS VR. Might be a good thing to see how well the implementation and optimization is before lamenting.

Maybe Sony could try doing something instead of some lame tech demos and one good showcase (Driveclub VR).

Which could be how many years out at what cost? Seems like a smart business decision to nail down a product on a VR optimzed engine that's already well along.

However, a year seems uncalled for. 3 months to maybe 6 months at most, but even that seems uncomfortable. Yes, exclusives aren't great on our end, but on theirs they have a place than just money.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oh that's neat, I thought it was going to be exclusive forever.

But yo, remember when MS was anti-consumer for the TR exclusivity? Sony just looking out for all gamers!

people rage because not as many people had xbox, the other way around most people have ps4s so less complaints.

mothball

Smart for Sony, the only way to sell PSVR is with Heavy Hitters found no where else.

Resident Evil 7 VR mode will be Xbox VR exclusive for a year
"Smart for Microsoft, the only way to sell XBVR is with heavy hitters found nowhere else"

-things you'd never hear on neogaf for $1000

Ganado

Take a deep breath.
How about no?
Also, while I'm not personally affected, since I don't have a VR headset and most likely won't have for some years, buying exclusivity for VR experiences like this doesn't really make me wanna get it either.

120v

this is sony, resident evil (traditionally PS-centric franchise), and a new platform. of course it's going to be exclusive

since tracking on vive/rift is different than psvr i think the PC VR versions would be a year off anyway

Evo X

So I'll pick up the GOTY edition with Vive support a year later during a Steam sale for $15. Got it.

Tagyhag

this is sony, resident evil (traditionally PS-centric franchise), and a new platform. of course it's going to be exclusive

since tracking on vive/rift is different than psvr i think the PC VR versions would be a year off anyway

You assume it'd take an entire year to implement tracking to the other headsets?

Resident Evil 7 VR mode will be Xbox VR exclusive for a year
"Smart for Microsoft, the only way to sell XBVR is with heavy hitters found nowhere else"

-things you'd never hear on neogaf for $1000

Well if the game would have been announced in the XBox conference without even a hint that it would come for other VR platforms yes people would say it.

If this releases on PC before the years exclusivity is up you can bet people will try to enable VR through modding. I am sure it would piss Capcom off, but that's what you get when you do stupid stuff like this.

120v

You assume it'd take an entire year to implement tracking to the other headsets?

it's not really an "out of the box" solution. for example Fallout 4 VR is still a ways off and that game is a year old.

a year is probably stretching it but you have to realize devs aren't going to rush to implement additional VR modes when they're free

Tagyhag

it's not really an "out of the box" solution. for example Fallout 4 VR is still a ways off and that game is a year old.

a year is probably stretching it but you have to realize devs aren't going to rush to implement additional VR modes when they're free

Agreed, but the actual implementation wouldn't take that long. :p

MUnited83

For you.

Unless they are dumbasses, they've used a VR Api that is multiplatform to begin with. And if so, it will get unlocked on PC in the very day of release.

TheRed

This sucks. I won't be buying it for over a year now. Would've really liked to play a AAA game on my Vive.

Data Ghost

Before we get too excited let's not forget that early impressions suggest that it looks like an early PS3 game in VR.

This might shock people when they lower the headset over their eyes for the first time, I was really disappointed when I first heard this.

Data Ghost

PSVR demos to me almost all looked like PS3 games. It was fine. Have you tried it?

No not yet unfortunately but I have mine pre ordered for launch day. I worry that the general public will expect games to look like the screenshots.

Ionic

Also said Batman Arkham VR is exclusive for 6 months, until March 31st 2016.

Got a download link?

Well anyway, I get it. Timed exclusives suck but these are way more favorable deals than games being eternally locked to one brand of hardware so I'll give Sony that.

Kyzer

Banned
No not yet unfortunately but I have mine pre ordered for launch day. I worry that the general public will expect games to look like the screenshots.

Nice, congrats. I was worried up to the point where I was sitting in line to try it looking at the TV of the guy playing thinking wow that looks like crap. But when you try it, it works. For me anyways. Its good enough for now...Im also hoping for some RE Capcpcom magic. RE on 3DS looked amazing.

You already see that on GAF here. I remember the Driveclub thread where people with actual VR headsets told people that it wont look like it does on the screenshots, especially the "crispness" and "sharpness"...
Then today we had a thread asking who will play traditional games in VR and people without any VR headsets told people with headsets, that its totally great. Its not (yet) with the resolution we have now.

While VR is great, a lot of people looking forward to PSVR think its more than it currently is sadly and will see the flaws of current gen VR quite soon.

Data Ghost

Nice, congrats. I was worried up to the point where I was sitting in line to try it looking at the TV of the guy playing thinking wow that looks like crap. But when you try it, it works. For me anyways. Its good enough for now...Im also hoping for some RE Capcpcom magic. RE on 3DS looked amazing.

I still think we are incredibly lucky to finally have VR in the home, something I couldn't have imagined as a kid. I know I will enjoy it. I'd imagine the immersion alone more than makes up of any graphical shortcomings.

Tryxx

Hated timed exclusives for Xbox and I hate hem for Sony this shit needs to stop. Either buy complete exclusivity or nothing at all. Making specific gamers wait a year to play a game after seeing reviews and impressions for a year can fuck off.

Got a download link?

Well anyway, I get it. Timed exclusives suck but these are way more favorable deals than games being eternally locked to one brand of hardware so I'll give Sony that.

It was a suggested ad this morning on Facebook, was a gif of 4 games, I got a screenshot of the ones that had exclusivity notices, in above post.

Wait, what games are PSVR exclusive again? There's Rez, RE7(for a year), apparently Batman for 6months. I sincerely don't know.

jaypah

With how iffy devs and publishers are on VR I figured this was going to support Rift/PSVR/Vive. Turns out it will, but Sony has it locked for a year. Not really happy with that as I'd like everything that's 3rd party to support every headset. Ah well, maybe I'll pick it up later but I doubt it.

Top Bottom