• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rsident Evil 7 VR mode will be PSVR exclusive for a year.

TheRed

Before we get too excited let's not forget that early impressions suggest that it looks like an early PS3 game in VR.

This might shock people when they lower the headset over their eyes for the first time, I was really disappointed when I first heard this.
Most VR games will look not as graphically advanced, but it really doesn't take as much in VR to get immersed.

i thought it wouldn't be for oculus/vive in the first place

i consider this good news

Yeah, personally I'd be absolutely happy if all the PSVR titles are only timed exclusives and not full exclusives.

A year? Maybe that's a little pushing it, but whatevs.

Before we get too excited let's not forget that early impressions suggest that it looks like an early PS3 game in VR.

This might shock people when they lower the headset over their eyes for the first time, I was really disappointed when I first heard this.

Yo Onward looks like a fucking N64 game and it's awesome as all hell. You really don't need high graphics for this shit.

I tried PSVR at EGX last week, I got totally hooked on it and pre-ordered one straight after my experience, Graphics take a back seat when your in a virtual world. Felt so immersed that PS3 graphics was the last thing i was thinking of whilst shooting shit in The Heist. I feel just like HDR..... PSVR or any VR for that matter has to be experienced not watched.

Resi 7 in VR sounds like a great gaming experience so luckily i'm a console gamer and wont have to wait an extra 12 months!

huh1678

Banned
Capcom really, really married Sony this gen.

I'm actually surprised RE7 is coming to Xbox One too.

You say that but Microsoft had dead rising, Nintendo has monster hunter, and sony has street fighter, and now a VR mode for RE7.

Either way this is a good get for Sony, sucks for pc but better than nothing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Unfortunately I think that's going to be the case with a ton of VR games. I think Sony has made that fairly clear, but a lot still fail to grasp that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You say that but Microsoft had dead rising, Nintendo has monster hunter, and sony has street fighter, and now a VR mode for RE7.

Definitely a big pickup for Sony, but it's shitty. I hate it when msft pulls this and I hate it when Sony does it.

I tried PSVR at EGX last week, I got totally hooked on it and pre-ordered one straight after my experience, Graphics take a back seat when your in a virtual world. Felt so immersed that PS3 graphics was the last thing i was thinking of whilst shooting shit in The Heist. I feel just like HDR..... PSVR or any VR for that matter has to be experienced not watched.

Resi 7 in VR sounds like a great gaming experience so luckily i'm a console gamer and wont have to wait an extra 12 months!
London Heist sold me on PSVR as well. The experience trumps graphics any day, imo. Understanding why the graphics are the way they are helps accept and enjoy it too.

It's not as if nobody will hack VR into the PC version less than a week after it's out.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Thats weird...i get console exclusive VR - but why would they not wanna have another reason for people to try it out on PC ?

eme

With the amount of money they already invested in PSVR, this is a great deal to help solidify it as the one people want to buy.

That's what I'm talking about. I have a Vive and a Rift, I'm not so sure about jumping $500 more into in the VR pool---- but I can admit that exclusives are important for any of these platforms to start.

novabolt

Business-wise, this deal will not produce enough fruits for Capcom.

Unless they have a complete edition of RE7 when the Scorpio comes out, they'll miss out on big potential sales. No one would pick up a fresh copy of RE7 instead of a cheaper pre-owned one 10 months later.

leroidys

If this is a potential VR killer app, I honestly think that this would benefit sony more by being on all platforms.

Krejlooc

Banned
If this is a potential VR killer app, I honestly think that this would benefit sony more by being on all platforms.

I don't think this will be a killer app because, from early reports, Capcom has ignored all the research done by VR developers these last 3 years and the experience is uncomfortable.

leroidys

I don't think this will be a killer app because, from early reports, Capcom has ignored all the research done by VR developers these last 3 years and the experience is uncomfortable.

That's too bad. I thought the kitchen project was an indicator that they were taking VR development more seriously than that.

Bustanen

Wasn't that because the fps was unstable? I hope they get things ironed out for launch.

$300 PS VR move x camera bundle for January >:)
I am ready for clearance prices for RE 7 VR
we waiting

smart to make it exclusive though , RE 7 VR is the game for PS VR B^)

cakefoo

I don't see how it would benefit Sony to be multiplatform, but it would benefit VR as a whole if it was available everywhere.

Protann

leroidys

I don't see how it would benefit Sony to be multiplatform, but it would benefit VR as a whole if it was available everywhere.

It would benefit VR as a whole, Sony is a major stakeholder in the success of VR, ergo the better VR performs the bigger Sony's potential VR base is.

None of the major pushers of VR headsets are going to be made or broken with the first wave of devices (by my estimation). The speed at which it reaches the mass market and how successive iterations of the devices are taken up is far more important than locking in exclusivity for gen 1.

I mean, on paper, people probably think this is a huge deal. In reality, though, it's probably going to be a horrendous VR implementation. And I'm someone who cannot wait to pick up my PSVR. If you just allow regular FPS locomotion on VR you are headed straight to sick town. Unless they have last minute change of heart or new developments, but that's highly doubtful given how close they are to release and how big a feature this is.

Hated timed exclusives for Xbox and I hate hem for Sony this shit needs to stop. Either buy complete exclusivity or nothing at all. Making specific gamers wait a year to play a game after seeing reviews and impressions for a year can fuck off.

Posts like this are why exclusivity threads will never not be entertaining. Gamers are the reason deals like this happen. Perceived exclusivity feeds right into the fanboy mentality that drives so many enthusiast debates, let's be real. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it. Sony now gets to push RE7 as an exclusive for their new piece of hardware for a year and associate a big brand like RE with PSVR. Sure after a year it can come to other platforms but by that time it's old news. Who is going to be checking for RE7 that hard after it's been out a year? The deal will have done its job.

Mister Wolf

Gonna be exclusive until someone highly skilled with a computer goes into the PC files and figures out how to unlock the VR mode.

MUnited83

For you.
Posts like this are why exclusivity threads will never not be entertaining. Gamers are the reason deals like this happen. Perceived exclusivity feeds right into the fanboy mentality that drives so many enthusiast debates, let's be real. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it. Sony now gets to push RE7 as an exclusive for their new piece of hardware for a year and associate a big brand like RE with PSVR. Sure after a year it can come to other platforms but by that time it's old news. Who is going to be checking for RE7 that hard after it's been out a year? The deal will have done its job.
Why does it matter if it works or not?

Its a stupid, anti-consumer move, and people will call it out as such.

Why does it matter if it works or not?

Its a stupid, anti-consumer move, and people will call it out as such.

Because it's an anti consumer as Netflix having reruns of Gotham exclusive is "anti consumer", in that it's incredibly silly and devalues the impact of things that are actually anti consumer.

MUnited83

For you.
Because it's an anti consumer as Netflix having reruns of Gotham exclusive is "anti consumer", in that it's incredibly silly and devalues the impact of things that are actually anti consumer.
So you're telling me that if Sony contracted a "1080p60fps mode exclusive for one year" and locked all the other versions below that it wouldnt be anti consumer? K

So you're telling me that if Sony contracted a "1080p60fps mode exclusive for one year" and locked all the other versions below that it wouldnt be anti consumer? K

No I'm saying that using your definition a lot of ordinary, mundane things would be "anti-consumer" and the term would lose any importance. Taco Bell cutting a deal with Pepsi is anti-consumer to those people that love Taco Bell but prefer Coke to Pepsi.

Pif

Banned
From the E3 impressions RE7 in VR is sick inducing, because they are using artificial locomotion, which makes 80% of people sick.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/15/resident-evil-7-vr-sickness-ps-vr/

https://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vr-batman-final-fantasy-resident-evil-e3-2016/
How come do people play all other psvr games where you move not by teleporting, and don't report any motion sickness then?

Never heard of anyone reporting sickness with EVE Valkyrie, and you're just looping around all the time.

Edit: Also Farpoint is another example and people report it being one of the best immersibe experiences on PSVR.

Protann

How come do people play all other psvr games where you move not by teleporting, and don't report any motion sickness then?

Never heard of anyone reporting sickness with EVE Valkyrie, and you're just looping around all the time.

I don't have a great understanding of this problem, but the way I understand it, the sickness lies in the disconnect of 'walking around' but not actually walking around. Your brain does not like that, especially when you're walking quickly around an environment using conventional controls. In Eve, you're sitting in the cockpit of a ship. So there's not that disconnect.

EDIT: As for Farpoint, a preview mentioned this about the movement. "The PlayStation VR Aim controller has two thumbsticks, and the stick on the foregrip is used to move yourself forward and backward in the game, while the direction of your gun determines your walking direction." So it's not 100% traditional movement. Sounds almost on-rails.

MUnited83

For you.
No I'm saying that using your definition a lot of ordinary, mundane things would be "anti-consumer" and the term would lose any importance. Taco Bell cutting a deal with Pepsi is anti-consumer to those people that love Taco Bell but prefer Coke to Pepsi.

Taco Bell has a deal with Pepsi where they alone carry Pepsi for a year now?

Edit: Also Farpoint is another example and people report it being one of the best immersibe experiences on PSVR.

Agreed, plenty of games allow free movement without making people sick and all people are effected or not by different games. Windlands made me feel a bit weird but BattleZone and Tethered didn't effect me at all.

It did seem like a post to try and downplay how good PSVR really is just because its a timed exclusive, also if that post was true, then it would be true for the PC VR version too.

FarPoint is looking excellent, can't wait to have a go.

jaypah

Agreed, plenty of games allow free movement without making people sick and all people are effected or not by different games. Windlands made me feel a bit weird but BattleZone and Tethered didn't effect me at all.

It did seem like a post to try and downplay how good PSVR really is just because its a timed exclusive, also if that post was true, then it would be true for the PC VR version too.

FarPoint is looking excellent, can't wait to have a go.

It will be the same for the PC version. As it is with a lot of games that use artificial locomotion. You can see it first hand in Steam reviews for games that don't make an effort to be as comfortable as possible. Nothing about bad VR is platform exclusive. Some VR games are badly made and a lot of people experience problems with them. VR isn't new, it's been discussed and researched for years. I've been playing artificial locomotion games in VR for over 2 years and never had a problem. But I have demoed it for people that just couldn't stomach it. It's not a knock on PSVR, it's a reality of VR that not all implementations are equal.

Top Bottom