• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rsident Evil 7 VR mode will be PSVR exclusive for a year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Agreed, plenty of games allow free movement without making people sick and all people are effected or not by different games. Windlands made me feel a bit weird but BattleZone and Tethered didn't effect me at all.

It did seem like a post to try and downplay how good PSVR really is just because its a timed exclusive, also if that post was true, then it would be true for the PC VR version too.

FarPoint is looking excellent, can't wait to have a go.

Can we address this? I mean seriously, I'm so tired of this nonsense. There is so much defensiveness over console war bs. The post was simply a link to actual e3 impressions. He didn't say it was caused because psvr wasn't good, he said it was caused by the artifical locomotion, which has been something that VR has been trying to find solutions to. I was texting with a friend who was there to get impressions since this was the game I had most interest in besides farpoint regarding VR. The first thing he said was that he might puke.

http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-7-i...edium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Kotaku_twitter

Here's another link stating the issue. Capcom says they were aware of the issue and addressing it. I have faith it will work out (fingers crossed), but stating factual things as "anti-psvr" is absurd. There were a large amount of impressions that said at the moment nausea is a problem with re7vr. I also have heard the same about DC-VR in the past, but I think that's been fixed.

Tagyhag

Can we address this? I mean seriously, I'm so tired of this nonsense. There is so much defensiveness over console war bs. The post was simply a link to actual e3 impressions. He didn't say it was caused because psvr wasn't good, he said it was caused by the artifical locomotion, which has been something that VR has been trying to find solutions to. I was texting with a friend who was there to get impressions since this was the game I had most interest in besides farpoint regarding VR. The first thing he said was that he might puke.

http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-7-i...edium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Kotaku_twitter

Here's another link stating the issue. Capcom says they were aware of the issue and addressing it. I have faith it will work out (fingers crossed), but stating factual things as "anti-psvr" is absurd. There were a large amount of impressions that said at the moment nausea is a problem with re7vr. I also have heard the same about DC-VR in the past, but I think that's been fixed.

It's a shame that you even have to link that. Some Sony fanboys are just too much.

What's next? Move controllers as good as wands or touch? Roomscale is not important to VR? If you say otherwise it's just downplaying?

The actual (recently updated) Beginning Hour teaser isn't PSVR compatible by the way. Maybe they plan to update it before October 13th. Otherwise, the only RE7 in VR that we'll be able to get is with the demo disc, the Kitchen Teaser : http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/12/all-the-games-on-the-playstation-vr-demo-disc/

There's also the tour currently going through the US right now. I hope to play the Lantern demo myself in a couple weeks (which will be my first VR experience as well).

Oh that's neat, I thought it was going to be exclusive forever.

But yo, remember when MS was anti-consumer for the TR exclusivity? Sony just looking out for all gamers!

wow talk about spin

we're talking about a game mode vs a complete game kept away from a platform

smh

Eusis

Is this something that wouldn't exist without Sony funding, or at least is better than it would've been as a result? Don't mind in that sort of situation, though it would be lame if they were doing this anyway then Sony threw bucks at them for timed exclusivity.

Though I'd still take this over the Oculus exclusivity. Something for a platform (Windows 10 in this case) shouldn't be dependent on buying a redundant device at $600, at least consoles can have distinct technological features and be less arbitrary by nature.

wow talk about spin

we're talking about a game mode vs a complete game kept away from a platform

smh
If you consider one negative, you should consider the same for the other. One is just worse than the other. Seems like you're the one doing the spinning it you think otherwise.

Not like this new. See COD, TR, Dead Rising, etc...

It sucks just like the other examples.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
How come do people play all other psvr games where you move not by teleporting, and don't report any motion sickness then?

Never heard of anyone reporting sickness with EVE Valkyrie, and you're just looping around all the time.

Edit: Also Farpoint is another example and people report it being one of the best immersibe experiences on PSVR.

EVE Valkyrie is on rail, and your in-game character is seated like you will in real life. and there is a cockpit as a point of references, and slow moving does help too. But that will limit the game design, as it is only suitable for games where the game character is seated, like in driving game, flight game or space exploration.

Motion sickness occurs when your in game character and your actual body movement isn't a 1:1 sync.

Agreed, plenty of games allow free movement without making people sick and all people are effected or not by different games. Windlands made me feel a bit weird but BattleZone and Tethered didn't effect me at all.

It did seem like a post to try and downplay how good PSVR really is just because its a timed exclusive, also if that post was true, then it would be true for the PC VR version too.

FarPoint is looking excellent, can't wait to have a go.

BattleZone is a vehicular title and Tethered is not a first person title. Lets not.

I didn't even realise this was day and date on the PC and assumed this was a given

It'll be interesting to see the reactions to this considering the shitstorm that happens whenever Oculus locks up an exclusive

The fact that 80% of people can't handle traditional movement in VR tells me that VR is never going to set the world on fire like this place seems to think it will.
Why does everyone keep ignoring this?
We spent the last 2 decades improving movement in games.
Are we going to roll back all that progress to make games viable in VR? Is that a worthy trade off?
Glad Capcom didn't gimp the game for VR.

Sure some people are defensive but some people are trying really hard to be negative on PSVR too, so sometimes its hard to tell with some people, but I also said it SEEMS LIKE, big difference to actually saying it definitely was. As a Console and PC gamer who has tried Vive and PSVR, I want both to do well, as they are both really cool bits of tech, so no console war bs here, just for the record.

The motion sickness thing will effect the PC version of RE 7 too, so being an PSVR timed exclusive makes little difference at the end of the day, other than the PC crowd have to wait 12 months to feel sick. But motion sickness effects different people in different ways or sometimes not at all, that's why a lot of devs have a few different control schemes like the teleport, aswell as more traditional controls and I'm sure RE7 will have a few options too.

When I played Windlands at EGX, it made me feel slightly weird, not really sick but a little bit, the feeling soon passed though but one person had to stop the demo as they felt really sick. Then when I was waiting to play Tethered, I was speaking to a nice lady who had worked on DriveClub at Evo and she said she can't play DC VR, as it makes her sick, but she's been fine with other games.

Brhoom

Banned
This is some next level bullshit.

Hiding a feature from another, better performing platform is not a smart move Capcom.

I understand making the Kitchen demo PSVR only, it's only a demo, but this?

I don't know who to hate more here, Sony or Capcom.

Of all people you should know better Capcom with that Gamecube deal.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is some next level bullshit.

Hiding a feature from another, better performing platform is not a smart move Capcom.

I understand making the Kitchen demo PSVR only, it's only a demo, but this?

I don't know who to hate more here, Sony or Capcom.

Of all people you should know better Capcom with that Gamecube deal.

It's pretty evident that Sony helped pay partially for Resident Evil 7's development/marketing, and that's why PSVR is a one-year exclusive for VR.

It's not the ideal, but companies do help pay for game's development to get specific rights, though to be honest I bet VR will be modded into RE7 on PC fairly quickly, probably before this deal goes through. But it is what it is, as long as exclusives exist, helping pay the bill to obtain rights to those platform exclusives will be done. Though it might be a bad early message for VR, given developing for each VR headset separate developments in total.

Brhoom

Banned
It's pretty evident that Sony helped pay partially for Resident Evil 7's development/marketing, and that's why PSVR is a one-year exclusive for VR.

I built a gaming pc for VR, I don't want to buy a pro and a PSVR for this game only, but I also don't want to wait a year.

I have a PS4 but people are saying it looks really bad in VR, anyone who tried it can tell if it really looked that bad?

Top Bottom