• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RT's critic-ordered vs RT's audience-ordered Star Wars films list

NickFire

I think people like myself gave it a pass for being the first entry in a longtime, with the intention of entertaining the audience, while reminding them of the fun, simple pleasures of what the series used to be through nostalgic devices.

While it was endlessly derivative and seemingly ignored the resolution of Ep. VI, it at least gave us story threads that were assumed to be important and would be carried forward into future sequels. Was that the right move from the get go? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm of the mindset that they should have just started far away from the original characters if they wanted to do a soft reboot.

They could still redeem themselves, but Disney seems way too arrogant on the political undertones to do so. Two things that would help big time:

1) Episode 9 shows Luke did not die in a believable manner, that Rey was once one of his padawans, and he helps Rey rebuild a small Jedi order. Kylo explains Snoke's back story, and that he wants the Sith to return instead of whatever Snoke's people were.

2) The next non-numbered movie is in between Jedi and TFA. During which we get more backstory with a heavy Luke emphasis, and Luke teaching the ways of the force to Leia. End it with Kylo killing everyone and joining Snoke, and Rey being dropped off where we found her in TFA.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
While it was endlessly derivative and seemingly ignored the resolution of Ep. VI, it at least gave us story threads that were assumed to be important and would be carried forward into future sequels.

Agreed.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! This clearly shows in visual form how terrible the internet can be. Just look at this graph. Explain to me how Episode 8 is "THAT" much worse than every other Star Wars movie in existence. A 45 point difference!

No other movie seems to have a difference more than 15 points. Even with SOLO fans and critics seem to some what agree on it.

So you're cool with the other 9 because the spread is relatively small, but dismiss the outlier simply because it's an outlier? Okay, a 45 point spread is enormous and probably has internet manbabies causing some degree of it. But if manbabies alone couldn't bomb TPM or ATC down to the 40s, they couldn't have done it to TLJ alone either. Rian Johnson may be talented, but he was apparently too far up his own ass to do a good job here. It's too bad.

pramod

Banned
Explain to me how Episode 8 is "THAT" much worse than every other Star Wars movie in existence. A 45 point difference!

Because, it was uh, just a bad boring movie?

I think with all this new generation of critics and audiences, people have forgotten why OG Star Wars was loved so much and regarded as classics.
When I hear people say complaining about illogical stories, weak acting, bad dialogue etc in TLJ is not a legit complaint because Star Wars was never about that....THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT...but
then they don't consider the next point...so if acting/dialogue/story doesn't matter, so what exactly makes a good Star Wars movie?

It's the universe. It's the world building. It's the awesome space battles. It's the XWing fighters blasting away at gigantic Star Destroyers. It's the amazing imagery of alien worlds like Bespin and Dagobah. It's about Luke Skywalker shooting a grappling hook into the belly of a Walker, then destroying it by throwing a grenade into it. Or flying around its legs with cables. It's wildly imaginative, pulpy, fun sci-fi at it's best.

TLJ had almost none of that. I sat in that theater for 2.5 hours waiting to be blown away by something...but except for the throne room fight there was not much "awesome" about TLJ. It was a 2 hour long boring "chase" through space. And people trying to save horses (what?)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So you're cool with the other 9 because the spread is relatively small, but dismiss the outlier simply because it's an outlier? Okay, a 45 point spread is enormous and probably has internet manbabies causing some degree of it. But if manbabies alone couldn't bomb TPM or ATC down to the 40s, they couldn't have done it to TLJ alone either. Rian Johnson may be talented, but he was apparently too far up his own ass to do a good job here. It's too bad.

Absolutely! It's clearly a fake audience score. Social media was a billion degrees different back in the TPM and ATC days. Had TPM came out in 2016 it would have probably been in the 30s.

Because, it was uh, just a bad boring movie?

I think with all this new generation of critics and audiences, people have forgotten why OG Star Wars was loved so much and regarded as classics.
When I hear people say complaining about illogical stories, weak acting, bad dialogue etc in TLJ is not a legit complaint because Star Wars was never about that....THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT...but
then they don't consider the next point...so if acting/dialogue/story doesn't matter, so what exactly makes a good Star Wars movie?

It's the universe. It's the world building. It's the awesome space battles. It's the XWing fighters blasting away at gigantic Star Destroyers. It's the amazing imagery of alien worlds like Bespin and Dagobah. It's about Luke Skywalker shooting a grappling hook into the belly of a Walker, then destroying it by throwing a grenade into it. Or flying around its legs with cables. It's wildly imaginative, pulpy, fun sci-fi at it's best.

TLJ had almost none of that. I sat in that theater for 2.5 hours waiting to be blown away by something...but except for the throne room fight there was not much "awesome" about TLJ. It was a 2 hour long boring "chase" through space. And people trying to save horses (what?)

A 46 audience score though bro. Come on! I can understand you not liking it. You describe what went wrong very well (though I disagree because I'm not there for Star Wars at this point for that other stuff. I don't need more world building). It's clear there was an all-out effort to make TLJ bomb in that audience score. Just look at dat score!

Last edited:

kunonabi

Absolutely! It's clearly a fake audience score. Social media was a billion degrees different back in the TPM and ATC days. Had TPM came out in 2016 it would have probably been in the 30s.

A 46 audience score though bro. Come on! I can understand you not liking it. You describe what went wrong very well (though I disagree because I'm not there for Star Wars at this point for that other stuff. I don't need more world building). It's clear there was an all-out effort to make TLJ bomb in that audience score. Just look at dat score!

The thing is these threats to tank audience scores happen all the time and they never actually have any real effect so its silly to just assume that it actually worked on TLJ and to such an extreme degree to boot. Considering Solo's dire numbers it seems even less likely that there are enough diehards around to accomplish the task anyway.

Solo's debut along with how TLJ had trouble bringing people in after its opening with everyone flocking to Jumanji and TGS seems to clearly indicate that TLJ just didn't have much of a pull on general audiences.

MoFuzz

Rotten Tomatoes specifically made a statement saying that the user score was accurate, which directly contradicts Lucasfilm's damage control narrative.

Dana Benson, who is VP of Fandango (parent company of RT) said in Forbes:
“We have several teams of security, network, and social database experts who constantly monitor reviews and ratings to ensure that they are genuine,” Benson said. “They haven’t seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted. Aside from that, everything is normal and we don’t see any unusual activity. We looked at The Last Jedi compared to other blockbusters and it has been consistent with those past films.”

Again, do trolls exist for this movie? Yes, but they seemingly exist for everything ever. To ignore all criticism or paint it as hateful is missing the point entirely, which is what Lucasfilm has done. They could and should have addressed this in some fashion, but they did the exact opposite. They doubled down on their stance, and branded everyone who disliked this product as bigots.

This really wasn't supposed to be that difficult. It's the two most fundamental principles of a successful company. 1. Make a product that people like, and 2. treat your customers with some level of respect (i.e. listen to your fans).

ruvikx

Banned

I'l go out on a limb here & suggest you haven't seen enough movies in your lifetime, i.e. The Last Jedi is a legit poorly conceived movie. There's no excuse for the amount of fails vis-à-vis the lore of the universe, nor all the other absolute fails in terms of simple blockbuster filmmaking. This isn't rocket science, there's no 'mystery' with regards to 'why' the movie scored so low: it's mediocre & actually outright insulting towards the franchise in many ways (I even challenge anyone to 'prove' The Last Jedi is better than Transformer Revenge of the Fallen).

The thing which irks me the most is when defenders of the film insinuate we all need to suspend our critical thinking (& essentially our own quality control) vis-à-vis Disney's Star Wars because 'reasons', namely it's "fun & progressive" (which was implied by the dishonest critics last December). F*ck that. I love movies, I really do, i.e. I also love the lore of Star Wars & its sheer potential (which has rarely been met), ergo when we're served crap, I call a spade a spade. Since the prequels (circa late 1990's) Star Wars has been shit, i.e. I also believe The Last Jedi suffered a drop after people realized The Force Awakens was nothing more than a nostalgia trip which they'd 'hoped' would pave the way for a grand trilogy yet in effect merely exploited people's love for the originals. Once they witnessed The Last Jedi clusterf*ck, people switched off & now we have Solo failing hard as a result. It's all connected.

Personally speaking I'll also add the fact I really enjoyed Rogue One (yes, the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi),, therefor it's painful to watch Disney & all their defenders destroy the potential of the Star Wars universe via producing & defending childish, retarded crap such as The Last Jedi when I know they can do better. Even in terms of a progressive female lead Jyn Erso (in Rogue One) was a far better character (& actress) than Rey.

Disney's mainline sequel trilogy is essentially a total fail at this juncture.

gioGAF

I will also echo the sentiment that TFA was good and made me hopeful for things to come. It was what it needed to be, as someone else already pointed out in this thread. A re-introduction to Star Wars for a new generation.

Same thing with Rogue One, I thought it was okay and didn't care too much what Disney did since it was only a "side story".

TLJ was the deal breaker. It isn't a "side story", it destroys a beloved character (Luke) AND it injects the franchise with political propaganda. Star Wars was supposed to be:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

Instead, we got a movie that felt very much wired into US social media, with bullshit echo chamber non-sense so everyone can feel good about themselves, hate on the oppressors and get plenty of likes/thumbs-up posts. Not to mention, TLJ is the most "small-scale" mainline entry with the most idiotic central conflict (slow speed pursuit), mired by pointless side plots that don't go anywhere and useless male characters.

I had no hope or expectations for "Solo", however I do hope the "new" Star Wars bomb so Disney can course correct. Maybe Abrams can deliver at the very least a serviceable entry.

Hard to believe that the prequels are looking good again in comparison, smh.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Personally speaking I'll also add the fact I really enjoyed Rogue One (yes, the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi),, therefor it's painful to watch Disney & all their defenders destroy the potential of the Star Wars universe via producing & defending childish, retarded crap such as The Last Jedi when I know they can do better. Even in terms of a progressive female lead Jyn Erso (in Rogue One) was a far better character (& actress) than Rey.

Disney's mainline sequel trilogy is essentially a total fail at this juncture.

Yeah I've noticed a strange thing in that most people who claim to love TLJ also seem to hate Rogue One. It's just weird to me. Maybe they just like boring movies. Rogue One wasn't perfect and started slow but the Battle of Scarif made me feel like a kid again and I haven't felt that way since ROTJ.

NickFire

Yeah I've noticed a strange thing in that most people who claim to love TLJ also seem to hate Rogue One. It's just weird to me. Maybe they just like boring movies. Rogue One wasn't perfect and started slow but the Battle of Scarif made me feel like a kid again and I haven't felt that way since ROTJ.
I'm not big on Rogue One due to lack of Jedi, but Vader going on a rampage saved the movie for me.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm not big on Rogue One due to lack of Jedi, but Vader going on a rampage saved the movie for me.
I wouldn't say it "saved the movie", because I didn't think the movie needed saving, but that scene is legitimately incredible.

... It's clear there was an all-out effort to make TLJ bomb in that audience score. Just look at dat score!
If the score's are so easily manipulated, how do we know the positive scores aren't actually the fake scores? Maybe the discrepancy we're seeing is the result of people wanting to artificially inflate the other films based on nostalgia or agenda. Maybe TLJ is the only real score on the list! How deep does this rabbit hole go?!

mckmas8808

The thing is these threats to tank audience scores happen all the time and they never actually have any real effect so its silly to just assume that it actually worked on TLJ and to such an extreme degree to boot. Considering Solo's dire numbers it seems even less likely that there are enough diehards around to accomplish the task anyway.

Solo's debut along with how TLJ had trouble bringing people in after its opening with everyone flocking to Jumanji and TGS seems to clearly indicate that TLJ just didn't have much of a pull on general audiences.

But a 46% though? Can you not see the clear difference with TLJ?

mckmas8808

I liked both TLJ and Rogue One. To me Rogue One is clearly the better movie though. It's very well grounded and tells a more interesting story.

prag16

Banned
But a 46% though? Can you not see the clear difference with TLJ?
It obviously bucks the general trend we've seen with Star Wars movies, but there are plenty of other movies that have massive critic to audience score gaps. Often you'll see pretentious critics shit on a movie audiences like a lot more. This was the reverse. It happens.

Codes 208

The fans one sounds about right. Rogue one was surprisingly good, TFA was good, but not OG trilogy good. TPM was ok, not stupidly bad but not that exciting either. Clone Wars sucked. Revenge of the Sith and all the cartoons that spawned from it were pretty decent, probably the only prequel I like even if just for the lightsaber battles and memes. TLJ was bad, Clone wars bad.

Havent seen Solo nor do I have any real interest.

Oemenia

Banned
I thought TFA did a decent job of establishing new people, tying in some old, and leaving us in suspense for the next one. I was genuinely excited for TLJ. Then they failed to deliver on explaining Rey's ability to use the force, bastardized Luke, killed the main villian without ever explaining his back story, talked down to fans by shitting on Poe, and without any explanation decided Leia is the most powerful force user ever after being sucked into space in an explosion. Basically, I saw TFA as a solid foundation for a new direction, then TLJ just bulldozed the foundation over and shit all over the rubble.
I still don't see TFA having any redeeming values. The terrible writing was bad enough but the lacklustre visuals were inexcusable.
Anyways, it's hard to tell the overall direction from one product. Once you've produced 4 films in 4 years, and 2 of them are direct sequels, the audience now has a pretty clear picture as to what the overall gameplan is, and I think people are rejecting that. Benefit of the doubt only goes so far, before you want results.
Despite the flaws of the prequel films, Lucas left us plenty to work with, I know it's easy to hate on him but how could Disney completely ignore them like that.

MoFuzz

Despite the flaws of the prequel films, Lucas left us plenty to work with, I know it's easy to hate on him but how could Disney completely ignore them like that.
Yep, Kathleen Kennedy did him dirty. That interview footage of her stating point blank to George's face that the full intention was to honour the legacy of the existing characters and technology, when she just used it to push her silly agenda and mismanage the franchise into the ground is both sad and infuriating.

Last edited:

Greedings

The prequels made me enjoy the original star wars movies more and gave me something silly to hate on.
The disney movies made me ashamed that I ever like star wars to begin with.
They drained my enjoyment out of the originals. It's a silly thing to happen, but I can't help it. I have just lost interest in the franchise completely, it's ruined for me, and I'll never look back on those movies fondly any more.

I also feel like I'm completely out of touch with cinema at the moment. I don't want to watch any movies from recent years, and if I do, I usually dislike it. Occasionally there's something I enjoy, but it's extremely rare (Birdman was something I got behind, but that was more style over substance).

The worst part is, now I don't have rightthink. I dislike the movies, therefore I'm alt-right. Fucks sake.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
How can that possibly be known before the weekend even starts?

There's enough data to predict to a high confidence level based on opening weekend performance + followup performance during the week in the leadup to weekend two. There are probably other data controlled for like audience scores, social media trends, etc. It's not going to be perfect since obviously it hadn't happened yet at the time, but we ended up with a 65% drop. :geek:

Lokimaru

I love the OT, I love the Prequels, I love the Clone Wars and the Expanded Universe. I do not love this new Trilogy, We have a bad history, came home from TFA to find my mom had died of a heart attack. TLJ killed my favorite fictional character. With Carrie's Passing this New Trilogy just represents Death to me now and I can't get pass that. Still havn't seen Solo nor do I want to (Was never a big fan of Han anyway.).

Syckx

Solo failed because it was a stupid fucking idea for a movie. This is all on Disney making a horrible investment. The mainstream audience doesn't care about Han, they care about Harrison Ford as Han. Hopefully this just serves to cancel the Boba movie which is arguably a worse idea.

Star Wars will continue to do huge business in the mainline series because there is a cultural interest in Star Wars. The Last Jedi is fine as a film. It was also crazy successful just like the 3rd one will be. You want to argue, go on ahead, but Disney knows how to market brands. Disney isn't making these movies for the the people who grew up with Star Wars. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Xisiqomelir

Someone posted this graph elsewhere, which gives a visual reference as to what's being discussed.

Tagging the OP, in case they wish to add to the first post. Xisiqomelir Xisiqomelir

auyn2v7931111.png

This looks CLEAN. Sorry for late reply, was enjoying a long weekend.

Could I get a link to the Reddit discussion?

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
What puzzles me most: what of episode 9? There's no exciting ongoing plot that requires an epic finale. But you also cannot start and end a whole new plot.
I feel like ep 9 is bound to be rubbish unless they announce an episode 10 to give breathing room for a proper arc.

prag16

Banned
What puzzles me most: what of episode 9? There's no exciting ongoing plot that requires an epic finale. But you also cannot start and end a whole new plot.
I feel like ep 9 is bound to be rubbish unless they announce an episode 10 to give breathing room for a proper arc.
Yeah.. Snoke is dead. The original big three are all dead. The entire resistance can fit in the Millennium Falcon. And on the first order side we have the Hux vs. Ben teenage angst war to look forward to. I'm sure JJ will come up with something at least somewhat entertaining but man did TLJ really set fire to.. Everything.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah.. Snoke is dead. The original big three are all dead. The entire resistance can fit in the Millennium Falcon. And on the first order side we have the Hux vs. Ben teenage angst war to look forward to. I'm sure JJ will come up with something at least somewhat entertaining but man did TLJ really set fire to.. Everything.
It makes me think we'll see some kind of time jump so that a bunch of things that need to be established to turn this into an actual story can happen without taking up a ton of run time. If they don't do that, then I'm just not sure where they'll go with the movie.

I guess they could also make it so the bad guys won in the end and it's just a setup for the next trilogy where random force users all over the universe come together to form a new resistance. I wouldn't be huge on that. Kid with broom doesn't seem like something that could carry a new trilogy.

prag16

Banned
It makes me think we'll see some kind of time jump so that a bunch of things that need to be established to turn this into an actual story can happen without taking up a ton of run time. If they don't do that, then I'm just not sure where they'll go with the movie.

I guess they could also make it so the bad guys won in the end and it's just a setup for the next trilogy where random force users all over the universe come together to form a new resistance. I wouldn't be huge on that. Kid with broom doesn't seem like something that could carry a new trilogy.
Yeah in any case it's a strange way to go into the third chapter of a trilogy.

NickFire

Yep, Kathleen Kennedy did him dirty. That interview footage of her stating point blank to George's face that the full intention was to honour the legacy of the existing characters and technology, when she just used it to push her silly agenda and mismanage the franchise into the ground is both sad and infuriating.
I've been reading lots of stories about how bad Solo is doing. And I keep seeing over and over that no one is sure, but its probably just SW fatigue. How the hell can they write this in good faith when Disney's other big franchise releases a few movies a year and still rakes in gold bars? With good stories their 1 per year system would be setting records annually. All I can think is they are scared to either criticize Disney since they own so much, or they are afraid of offending the people who are praising the new direction. Its fine if they want to stay away from making it political, but if you fail to acknowledge that the SW base just doesn't care for the direction she chose, you really don't deserve writing about SW for any major outlet IMO.

T'Challa Shakur

Neo Member
I cant take anyone seriously who says The Last Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie like Episode 2 doesn't exist. And I HATED what TLJ did to Finn but it is in no way the worst of the Star Wars movies. I like the subversion of expectations (With regards to Luke, Kylo and Rey's stories) and felt that it would make sense for Luke to react to his greatest failure just like his three masters before him.

Go into hiding.

KevinKeene

Banned
I cant take anyone seriously who says The Last Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie like Episode 2 doesn't exist. And I HATED what TLJ did to Finn but it is in no way the worst of the Star Wars movies. I like the subversion of expectations (With regards to Luke, Kylo and Rey's stories) and felt that it would make sense for Luke to react to his greatest failure just like his three masters before him.

Go into hiding.

Episode 2 added lots of elements to SW lore that were there to stay. TLJ added nothing. It's just a bad movie.

T'Challa Shakur

Neo Member
Episode 2 added lots of elements to SW lore that were there to stay. TLJ added nothing. It's just a bad movie.

What do you mean? We got Leia's Force capabilities on Display. Kylo Ren ascending to take control of the Galaxy (something Vader never did) and confirmation that ANYBODY with the force can be special. Not just Skywalkers.

OH-MyCar

...and confirmation that ANYBODY with the force can be special. Not just Skywalkers.

860672.gif

They've not adequately fleshed out why Rey is any more important than Yaddle other than some silly thing about "the light meeting the darkness" and whatnot. Little orphan kids get the force? It's the same thing. Only now they don't need training because they're constantly leveling up like a bad mobile game.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
What do you mean? We got Leia's Force capabilities on Display. Kylo Ren ascending to take control of the Galaxy (something Vader never did) and confirmation that ANYBODY with the force can be special. Not just Skywalkers.
How is any of that necessarily good? It's all about the iffy execution. And we already had tons of non Skywalker force users in other movies. Even when you don't count the prequel trilogy, we have Obi Wan, Sheev, Maul (technically), Yoda, and Chirrut. When you do count the prequel trilogy, forget it.

ickythingz

Banned
This guy analyzes the tonal quality of TLJ through the notion of Bathos...

... it's quite intriguing and informative

What worries me about this example is video, is that there are people who don't understand this. This video should never have to have been made. The fact that there are people that will watch this and be informed is worrisome.

kunonabi

Not really....as Per canon the Galaxy doesnt really go under a monumental change until a Skywalker is involved.....

So every force user from now on is going to drastically reshape the universe? The original six movies made it clear that the skywalkers didnt completely dominate the force. The rest of the "canon" doesnt mean jack shit.

Bolivar687

Banned
Why the failure of ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story‘ could spell bad news for Hollywood

Do you guys think the low performance has implications for the rest of Hollywood or just Star Wars and this film? It's apparently the second year in a row where moviegoing is looking relatively weak, despite being buoyed by a few big releases earlier in the year. It would be amazing if this meant the end of the formulaic cinematic universe action film, but the article says it could lead to Hollywood doubling down on safe releases to weather out the lower demand.

Hopefully Disney begins coming around to the reality that TLJ wasn't what they thought it was.

llien

How do you explain Rogue One surviving the "fake score attack"?

mckmas8808

How do you explain Rogue One surviving the "fake score attack"?

There wasn't the "politics" angle being pushed at that movie compared to TLJ. There are some people that hear the words "The Last Jedi" and the only thing they see is the color red and SJW politics. It makes them very pissed and passionate about hating it.

And Rogue One also had Darth Vader in it. He seems to calm down many Star Wars fans.

llien

There wasn't the "politics" angle being pushed at that movie compared to TLJ.
My point is, having female protagonist was cited as the main reason for "politics" angle pushing against TLJ, yet RO somehow went surprisingly unnoticed, to a point that you could read articles about how both RLJ and RO were bombed by anti-progressive folk, when in fact, RO wasn't.

(oh boy, Terminator, Alien and no SJW/anti-SJW fights, those were the times)

And Rogue One also had Darth Vader in it. He seems to calm down many Star Wars fans.
Ok, fair enough. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom