• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Captain America by Ed Brubaker & Steve Epting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

cap_am_win_ult.jpg

During the mid 2000s Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting were on the helms of Marvel's Captain America comic book series.
When I started reading comics some 10ish years ago (around when Civil War was going on), Brubaker's Captain America was the most praised series talked about in the forum I was posting in (SRK).

After watching Cap 3, I decided to revisit it; when I read it all those years ago I enjoyed it, but now having read many other books and titles, I've found I like this book even more.

Now before I talk about what I like about this series, keep in mind that if you enjoyed Cap 2 and 3, then you really should read Brubaker's Cap run since they are based on this run.

Ed Brubaker's run starts with the discovery of the Cosmic Cube and its possession by the Red Skull, and how it is used to plundge the world into chaos.
It goes on to introduce The Winter Soldier, who at the time was not known to be Bucky. Keep in mind that Bucky was hardly ever used in many Marvel comics prior to that, being shown mainly during WW2 flashbacks with Cap.
Cap teams up with some of his oldest and closest allies as he unveils this conspiracy and cope with the Winter Soldier and Bucky's return.

The run was touted as being a 'super spy' themed comic, and if you were to work it into a James Bond story you can see the parallels.

Onto what I like about this series-
For one thing the pacing is fast, Brubaker has the events in each issue progress in a really good pace, and offers good focus on characters and how the events of what's going on in the story are viewed by them.

In addition the comic didn't have a very large cast, I could count the main protagonists for any given arc on one hand. The villains being one step ahead of Cap and co. was another thing I liked, which is trumped by how Cap and his allies won't be deterred by the villain's actions and plots.

Epting's art is fantastic and he draws fight scenes really well, being dynamic and all.

If there is a fault I have with it, it'd be that some characterizations feel uninspired like the Master Men and the Russian general from WW2 flashback.

All in all though, this run still holds up IMHO thanks to Brubaker's excellent writing. If you want to read the run, def. look up the ultimate collections, or the regular editions are fine as well.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Funny, I just finished a reread of this and Red Menace afew days ago. Brubaker defined so much of what Captain America represents nowadays. Incredible work.

Viewt

It's a really fantastic run, easily up there with the greatest of Cap's stories by Mark Waid and Mark Gruenwald.

Does the run have a single artist or multiple? Can't stand that, but Brubaker killed it with Velvet, Criminal, and Fatale so I'm interested in checking out his Cap stuff

Tizoc

Does the run have a single artist or multiple? Can't stand that, but Brubaker killed it with Velvet, Criminal, and Fatale so I'm interested in checking out his Cap stuff

Epting has been the artist on I'd say what the main 50 or so issues of the comic I'd say.
There was one House of M issue tie-in, which you can skip though.
I recommend at least reading the first one or two story arcs and if Epting's art wins you over, expect to see more of his work as the run goes on :)

RC

Banned
Civil War kinda killed my interest in comic books so I never ended up finishing Brubaker's Cap run. Should really pick it up again one of these days.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Must be something in the air, I'm actually rereading this run right now. Actually it shouldn't be a huge surprise. I came back from Captain America: Civil War and was in the mood to read Brubaker's run on Cap. Same exact thing happened after I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I could gush about Epting's art all day too. Such an amazing collaboration.

The great thing about Cap is after Brubaker, we got the Remender run which is like the polar opposite tonally, and it still works! From super-spy action thriller to dimension hopping alien fighting.

Epting has been the artist on I'd say what the main 50 or so issues of the comic I'd say.
I recommend at least reading the first one or two story arcs and if Epting's art wins you over, expect to see more of his work as the run goes on :)
That's good to hear and he did Velvet's art, so he already won me over

Which Cap series is the one you're talking about?
https://www.comixology.com/Steve-Epting/comics-creator/388

Viewt

Oh, man, I forgot about that issue. Yeah, I think they actually don't include it if you read the story in a trade paperback. For those of you curious, in the alternate-reality House of M universe, Steve is an old man living in New York after a life as Captain America. The story mainly deals with his dissatisfaction with mutant/human politics (i.e. that humans are seen as weak, useless, and less than). The art was pretty good, but yeah, it's super unrelated to Brubaker's over-arching story.

Civil War kinda killed my interest in comic books so I never ended up finishing Brubaker's Cap run. Should really pick it up again one of these days.

Brubaker and Epting on Captain America was the reward we got for slogging through Civil War. You should DEFINITELY read it.

This one.

Tizoc

https://www.comixology.com/Captain-...XRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA
This one :)

I was unaware he worked on Captain America and Falcon; that one was written by Christopher Priest which I read and...now that I think about it...
Don't worry about that last part for now, grab Brubaker's run, read it and feel free to make a LTTP thread some time later to get more people interested in it if you want ;)

Tizoc

I find it funny how in like one page Crossbones up and lets the reader know about the history of Synthia Schmidt.
That gal's been through some whack aging, de-aging shit lol.

Order Captain America Winter Soldier UC for my brother since he liked Cap 3, just a few minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom