• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Dark Souls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondai

Gold Member
I'll update if I do it , It will probably take me a bit of practice , I tend to immediate use bonfires after I activate them so its going to be hard to against that habit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Best part of SotFS was resetting stats. I just recently played through the vanilla campaign and had to change it up about halfway in. I went complete strength for the DLC.

I liked it when the bonfire erupted.

rofif

Banned
DS2 is my personal fav. Somehow it's the most varied and most playable.
I also like the somber, dreamlike atmosphere. The world is suppose not to make sense. Of course there is a lava world above toxic world - that's the whole point of this weird, dreamland.
Bloodborne is the most coherent and focused of the games and depending on the day I like it more but after failing to beat kos since it's just to difficult, I go back to ds2 more often.
I think even ds1 got old (at least the 2nd half). Ds3 is good too. All those games are amazing

Mondai

Gold Member
Anyone have any weapons suggestions for this ? Im thinking rapier/Santier's when I get it.

DS2 is secretly the best Souls game and remains my one sole platinum trophy on my psn account.
Build and equipment variety was awesome, new enemies in NG+, and the dlc zones are arguably the best in the entire series.
Adaptability was a crappy inclusion, but I really enjoyed the rest of the game.

I like Bloodborne more, but DS2 is my second favorite From title.

rofif

Banned
DS2 is secretly the best Souls game and remains my one sole platinum trophy on my psn account.
Build and equipment variety was awesome, new enemies in NG+, and the dlc zones are arguably the best in the entire series.
Adaptability was a crappy inclusion, but I really enjoyed the rest of the game.

I like Bloodborne more, but DS2 is my second favorite From title.
Scholar or ps3 version ? I think I like the scholar

I played through vanilla on my 360. When the ps4 version of Scholar came out I happily played it again for the plat.
I bought it on PC too, but haven't made a run through on that yet, but I'm about due!

rofif

Banned
I played through vanilla on my 360. When the ps4 version of Scholar came out I happily played it again for the plat.
I bought it on PC too, but haven't made a run through on that yet, but I'm about due!
Scholar is great on pc. 4k, 60fps, reshade if You want. Good stuff

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone have any weapons suggestions for this ? Im thinking rapier/Santier's when I get it.

Not unless you want to have a hard time.

Stick with slower, heavier weapons as they are massively more effective.

Start with Bastard Sword/Claymore* line, mix in a great club for blunt weak stuff (think its the large club that is secretly the best weapon in the game) and don't neglect ranged and magic.

DS2 is the only game in the series to favor weapons like this, but once you figure it out... everything else is second best.

*The important distinction is the heavy attack, one line has a broad lateral swing the other and overhead stepping slash. Which is better is situational, but its very helpful to have both.

DS2:SOTFS is the best game in the series. Its rejection set a bad trend towards simplification. This worked great with Bloodborne because the whole of the combat system was rebalanced around a singular focus, but DS3... not so much.

Last edited:

Mondai

Gold Member
Not unless you want to have a hard time.

Stick with slower, heavier weapons as they are massively more effective.

Start with Bastard Sword/Claymore* line, mix in a great club for blunt weak stuff (think its the large club that is secretly the best weapon in the game) and don't neglect ranged and magic.

DS2 is the only game in the series to favor weapons like this, but once you figure it out... everything else is second best.

*The important distinction is the heavy attack, one line has a broad lateral swing the other and overhead stepping slash. Which is better is situational, but its very helpful to have both.
I can do quality build too but dex is viable , rapier +10 is a God killer.

I'm playing through Dark Souls 2: SOTFS right now and I've been really enjoying it. So far, I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I might even like it more than DS1. I do find that the game tries too hard to be hard though. I never found DS1 or Demon's Souls to be that difficult but this game is probably the hardest of the ones that I've played.

FMXVII

I'm playing through Dark Souls 2: SOTFS right now and I've been really enjoying it. So far, I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I might even like it more than DS1. I do find that the game tries too hard to be hard though. I never found DS1 or Demon's Souls to be that difficult but this game is probably the hardest of the ones that I've played.

That's because it is artificially hard.

Unreadable gank squads out of nowhere, rapid weapon degrading, a birrion humanoid, bosses corridor levels, no cohesion between said corridor levels, and the ironically named Adaptability stat, for starters.

Last edited:

Mondai

Gold Member
Bosses killed so far :

Last Giant
Pursuer
Dragonrider
Scorpioness
Royal Rat Vanguard

Optained Santiers Spear and broke it (use the crow nest, it breaks so easily there).

Nightrunner

I do like the build variety and some of the movesets in Scholar. Best thing about DS2 is the NG+ as you're already pretty familiar with the game and so can tackle it in a somewhat flexible order with your preferred build + dat Iron Keep PvP.

mcz117chief

My favorite Souls game, just a tiny bit better than Daemon's Souls. I wish you luck, bro. Which boss or section are you most afraid of? Are you gonna do the DLC zones too?

Mondai

Gold Member
I’ll be dreading iron keep the most I think , I have upgraded bow, so shrine of Amana will be easy and naw I’m skipping dlc.

Mondai

Gold Member
Finished for the day : I could either keep going and beat Iron keep and Gutter/Black Gulch or go for the 1 million soul memory and go directly to drangleic castle.

Mondai

Gold Member
I think santier will make this so much easier since it’s unbreakable so that’s why I chose it , should I infuse it though ?

Nightrunner

I think santier will make this so much easier since it’s unbreakable so that’s why I chose it , should I infuse it though ?
If you're gonna avoid PvP anyway go with Raw given the scaling attributes for the spear unless you plan on having 50+ int in which case leave Enchanted for later maybe.

Helios

Good luck on the challenge, OP.
Yo, hear me out - Dark. Crypt. Blacksword. Hexers in general are really fun in DS2 but this weapon completely dominates everything.

Except maybe Darklurker, fuck that guy.
Yes ! The last time I played I made a hexer with Dark Crypt Blacksword and I loved it.
I mean, just look at this beast
zVcR1Ri.jpg

Last edited:

Zelent

Dark Souls 2 is very under-rated in my opinion.
It's easily my favorite Souls game (although I haven't played Bloodborne yet).

johntown

Banned
I guess a no bonfire run is doable in DS2. If there were no Life Gems though it might be tough. Good luck!

I could stay in Majula forever. So peaceful
Dark souls does great hubs to catch a breather. Majula is probably the best. First one has a great campfire hangout setting, and the third one while lacking in design has "ashen one" voice actor that just sounds so cool. Never played Bloodborne I wonder if it's as good

Virex

Banned
Dark souls does great hubs to catch a breather. Majula is probably the best. First one has a great campfire hangout setting, and the third one while lacking in design has "ashen one" voice actor that just sounds so cool. Never played Bloodborne I wonder if it's as good
Bloodborne has the hunter's dream. But nothing really memorable. Bloodborne is an amazing game but the hub along with is forgettable. Nexus in Demon's Souls was awesome as well. But could be depressing as fuck also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom