• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Dark Souls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondai

Gold Member
I am almost at 50 awestones and I want to transfer the ring to a new character , can anyone help me with the transfer?

Siri

Banned
I love these threads because I get to confess what few people would in my ‘situation’ - namely, that I spent hundreds of hours combined playing DS1, DS2 and DS3.... but never came close to finishing any of them.

If I’m being truthful, I probably spent a good 50 hours alone near The Undead Burg in DS1, and probably died about 500 times there.

Trogdor1123

I'm going to dive back in. Anyone got a good guide I can refer to when I get stuck? I remember it happen a few times when I played it last. Wasted so much time.

Grinchy

Banned
I was so hyped for this game. I made a dual wielding build from the start where I was just going around with 2 daggers trying to slice everything up. I didn't hate it immediately. I think it was once I had beaten the final boss that I just kinda looked back at the whole thing and realized how lackluster it felt.

rofif

Banned
I've been replaying Dark Souls 2 scholar the past few times and I really love the game (probably my fav).
I've been thinking about replaying VANILLA ds2 though. I've not played that version since it's release date. I could play steam version that's bundled with dlc or go full vanilla PATCHLESS on 360 as I've played it originally.
Playing patchless Souls games has been on my mind for some time now too. wasn't power stancing and hexing great in ds2 ?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I never had a bad time with it but it's poor in comparison to what Miyazaki can make. There's no real sense of connection in the world, you're just fulfilling tasks to reach an end game result. I have a weird admiration for it though, how despite it coming across as different ideas being crammed together it works. Hitboxes for some enemies are still fucked and the DLC areas weren't good. Rolling up on the final boss with an actual squad was funny too.

It's one of those games that I think "Was it really that bad?" As soon as I replay it I'll get my answer.

Trogdor1123

I never had a bad time with it but it's poor in comparison to what Miyazaki can make. There's no real sense of connection in the world, you're just fulfilling tasks to reach an end game result. I have a weird admiration for it though, how despite it coming across as different ideas being crammed together it works. Hitboxes for some enemies are still fucked and the DLC areas weren't good. Rolling up on the final boss with an actual squad was funny too.

It's one of those games that I think "Was it really that bad?" As soon as I replay it I'll get my answer.
I find it is actually a lot better so far. I'm enjoying it a great deal. It feels like the biggest game in the series to me

GHG

Gold Member

This looks hot.

Will replay the game when it gets released.

I know people hate on DS2 but it will always have a special place in my heart because it's first DS game I actually managed to get into. I then went back and played DS1 after and I know its a better game and I understand its greatness but it doesn't have the same emotional feeling that DS2 does for me.

rofif

Banned
Does anyone else don't like the DLC as much as the base game? I've been replaying scholar for the last few years and I love the game more than other Dark Souls but I always start with the Iron dlc and get burned out. I've tried others too but they seem so schematic in a weird way and too difficult since YOu are already almost level 200 when starting the dlc, have all the gear. So You power through the base game but then the dlc makes You deal much less damage and slows down without any way of making You stronger.

I am also thinking about replaying vanilla DS2 sine I've only played it on release day on 360 (loved it) and scholar ever since. They sell steam key ds2 vanilla anywhere? If I don't care for dlc, it can be the base game alone if the dlc don't change anything in the base game. Are the altars there if I don't purchase/enable the dlc?

DS2 dlc are some of the best zones in the series, I loved all of them. Tough as nails, but the level design was amazing. There is a ton of new gear in each one as well, though vanilla gear can carry you through.

Kumomeme

my main gripe with DS2 is, especially when compared to other souls game directed by Miyazaki like DS1, DS3 and Bloodborne is the level design is like a huge step down

rofif

Banned
my main gripe with DS2 is, especially when compared to other souls game directed by Miyazaki like DS1, DS3 and Bloodborne is the level design is like a huge step down
Is It? I never noticed a step down in level design. If anything, the ds2 DLC feels like it was designed by someone else but the base game is solid

Kumomeme

Is It? I never noticed a step down in level design. If anything, the ds2 DLC feels like it was designed by someone else but the base game is solid
for example if you want to compare, the placement of bonfire and how the area connected towards it..it feels like even rewarded players for exploring and discovering the connected hub like in DS1 and Bloodborne ...some bonfire even had shortcut to boss area and overall level design is stark comparison

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I never finished all of the DLC in SOTFS. The fundamental changes to the movement and control put me off wanting more content from the game. I have always thought that porting the game and its DLC to the exact version of the engine set up that is used in 1 or 3 would make me enjoy it so much more, but it's unlikely to happen.

I never managed to get the dead zone fix working to the point that it made the game smooth enough.

Congrats on the no bonfire run though, that's a solid effort. I imagine very few do that.

Belmonte

I'm more of a DS1/DS3 dude but you guys have my sword. DS2 is grossly underrated and should have much more respect than it gets. It is a great game.

But then, sometimes feels like any From game which isn't Bloodborne is underrated in this forum.

iiStryker

Neo Member
I can’t play anything that isn’t a Soulslike any more. From has ruined other games for me other than maybe Tean Ninja and Nioh. But I kinda hate the diablo loot RNG, Nioh’s combat makes up for it though.

I’m at Blue Smelly Demon currently in SotFS

I can’t imagine doing a no bonfire run.
My skills aren’t there...yet

Are you doing SotFS or PS3 DS2?

iiStryker

Neo Member
Anyone want to give some weapon advice? I just beat the bit fat worm guy.
Sorcery is awesome but takes a bit of time to get there. The fire Longsword is probably best starting weapon in the cave Outside below second bonfire in forest of fallen giants

dual blue flame & crystal magic weapon = $

Hexer is pretty great too. sunsetstaff is accessible pretty early right after the Dragon Rider

Last edited:

iiStryker

Neo Member
2 is definitely the king of content when compared to the other two games.

i can also agree that Miyazaki’s designs, the area’s and their bosses are better overall. DS1 (to some degree)& 3 (More so) are more organic feeling while 2 feels more like a linear obstacle course. 3 really feels like a living place.

2’s player combat capabilities are also awesome. I love the stance mechanics and I wished there was a way to marry it with the weapon arts of 3.

the bonfire ascetic is kinda cool too. I’m on the fence about whether they shouldve locked a lot of mandatory spells and equipment behind NG+ but the ascetic does let you work around that if you’re inclined to do so

Graciaus

I'm playing SOTFS now and finding it much harder then vanilla. Just tons of enemies now where there wasn't before. I feel like they made this for more of a coop experience and I only solo. Might just go back to regular.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Look at dates before you post.
Which points to I have put to get invincibility frames when rolling?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Wanted to pick a these up for the Deck. What the hell is going on with the prices?

They wernt in the sale and no cheap keys anywhere :messenger_neutral:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Adaptability. Also, you can get some occasionally with Attunement upgrades if you want to upgrade number of spell slots and casting speed. Under stats there is one called Agility. If you can get Agility to at least 92 you can make it work. I like to have it at around 98 to be able to use items at a decent speed (without mods).

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned

You've got you answer already, but your post reminded me how unique dark souls 2 is in this department. It was my first dark souls game (played bloodborne before) so I was accustomed to raising adaptability for rolls. Later on when I played 3 it was so strange. All in all I liked it very much and maybe that was because I didn't feel betrayed like some other fans did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom