• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: DC Comics

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
JLA.jpg

Despite being a DC thread, I have to start with some Marvel love:

I've been reading Marvel since I was a kid - I dabbled in the DC classics + Vertigo as well as other pubs, but 90% of what I read was Marvel.

I stopped for a while in HS, but found the Ultimate universe late in college. A fun way to get back on the train for a little bit.

Flash forward to Secret Wars - the culmination of the entire Marvel Universe, in my eyes. Hickman did the impossible - he ended the Marvel Universe for me.

He did such a good job, that I've been feeling the itch to move on & dive into DC proper. I've been dabbling across N52 & Rebirth and really enjoying what I've read so far. Morrison's Batman was great, The Omega Men was a GOAT comic.

What are your favorite runs, why & what's the reading order?

Some of the things on my 'to-read' list:

• Grayson
  • Darkseid War
  • Planetary, Midnighter, Midnighter & Apollo
  • Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia
  • Geoff John's GL Epic
  • Azarrello & then Rukka's Wonder Woman
  • Gotham Central

For some reason, nothing in DC proper ever clicked with me besides Batman. If I recall, my first introduction to Batman in comics was the first volume of the Hush arc; I would have been 10-11, and Jim Lee's style, the way Batman was presented in that issue...I had seen the animated series, but that comic is what defined Batman in my head

QSIS0gM.jpg

Year One, Snyder's Batman, Azzarello's Joker and Luthor, Azzarello's Wonder Woman run, and Gotham Central are the only DC stories and series I ever really liked.

I might check out Grayson, that seems up my alley

Kurdel

Banned
Batman Rebirth is amazing, you should definitely get on that.

The new limited Mister Miracle series is also really fucking good.

SpaceWolf

Banned
For some reason, nothing in DC proper ever clicked with me besides Batman. If I recall, my first introduction to Batman in comics was the first volume of the Hush arc; I would have been 10-11, and Jim Lee's style, the way Batman was presented in that issue...I had seen the animated series, but that comic is what defined Batman in my head

QSIS0gM.jpg

Year One, Snyder's Batman, Azzarello's Joker and Luthor, Azzarello's Wonder Woman run, and Gotham Central are the only DC stories and series I ever really liked.

When I was younger, Hush was also a story that definitely got me into Batman (mostly on account of the fact the story explains a lot of the backstories of the characters, as a very exposition heavy tale), but I can confirm that story does absolutely not hold up as an adult. It has a very juvenile, shallow sensibility about it.

My favourite collected Batman tales are probably Long Halloween and Dark Victory, in addition to being a big fan of Gotham Central and Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run as Batman related spin-offs.

VeeP

Have you read all of Snyder's Bat Books? Year 0, Gates of Gotham, and Court of Owls are probably my favorites. Check out Tom King's Batman, it's not spectacular, but I do think it's fun. My favorite Batman book so far is Detective Comics. The art, writing, everything is really solid. I'd honestly say it's the best Rebirth book so far.

For other DC books, I'd say checkout:

Deathstroke - Damn, this book is spectacular. Seriously. Very well written, interesting, twists and turns. Get it.

Mister Miracle - Tom King's new book. Only two issues so far but boy, it's great.

Superman - I really like this book, I'm not sure if you'll be able to really "get it" because there's some rebirth/timeline fuckery, but besides that small arc it's great. Watching Clark interact with his family is wonderful.

Nightwing - Basically the next part of Grayson, check it out if you enjoy Grayson.

JJH

Super sons has been one of my favorite reads in quite awhile. Definitely recommend check it out.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Check out Tom King's Batman, it's not spectacular, but I do think it's fun.

I was really enjoying the start of King's run with all the Gotham twins/Catwoman stuff, but I'm absolutely hating War of Jokes and Riddles so far. It's pretty badly written and I absolutely loathe King's attempts to revamp The Riddler as a muscular, shirtless scoundrel.

VeeP

I was really enjoying the start of King's run with all the Gotham twins/Catwoman stuff, but I'm absolutely hating War of Jokes and Riddles so far. It's pretty badly written and I absolutely loathe King's attempts to revamp The Riddler as a muscular, shirtless scoundrel.

Yea King's Batman has gotten a mixed reception so far. Some people disliked Gotham twins/Catwoman, some people disliked this. So far I've enjoyed War of Jokes & Riddles, but it's not memorable imo.

Grant Morrisons's JLA
DC One Million
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
Sandman
Lucifer (read after sandman)
Transmetropolitan
Garth Ennis's Hitman
Preacher
Batman : Year One
Batman : The Long Halloween
Batman and Robin (Grant Morrison)
Batman : Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
Batman : The Court of Owls
Batman : A Killing Joke
James Robinson's Starman
The Man of Steel (John Byrne)
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
All-Star Superman
Superman: For The Man Who Has Everything
Superman for all Seasons
The Trial of Superman
Superman: Time and Time Again
Jack Kirby's Fourth World

Big fan of Long Halloween Batman. My favorite comic ever. Dark Victory was a pretty good follow up as well.

Only read bits and pieces of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern but it was great.

Snyder's run on Batman was pretty good too.

Azzarello Wonder Woman was fun but I havent finished it.

My wife really loved the New 52 Batgirl run.

What's tough about DC is they dont have an Unlimited service, and they dont run those super cheap Kindle/Comixology sales that Marvel does. Hard for me to get into DC for cheap. And when I can get 3 (or more) Marvel trades for the price of one DC trade...it's tough.

jon bones

thanks guys! will check some stuff out.

right now i am mid-Snyder Batman & just about to finish N52 JL with Darkseid War

VeeP

Big fan of Long Halloween Batman. My favorite comic ever. Dark Victory was a pretty good follow up as well.

Only read bits and pieces of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern but it was great.

Snyder's run on Batman was pretty good too.

Azzarello Wonder Woman was fun but I havent finished it.

My wife really loved the New 52 Batgirl run.

What's tough about DC is they dont have an Unlimited service, and they dont run those super cheap Kindle/Comixology sales that Marvel does. Hard for me to get into DC for cheap. And when I can get 3 (or more) Marvel trades for the price of one DC trade...it's tough.

You might want to check out the PreNew52 Steph Batgirl series by Bryan Miller, your wife might like it. I really loved the whole series.

Sober

When I was younger, Hush was also a story that definitely got me into Batman (mostly on account of the fact the story explains a lot of the backstories of the characters, as a very exposition heavy tale), but I can confirm that story does absolutely not hold up as an adult. It has a very juvenile, shallow sensibility about it.

My favourite collected Batman tales are probably Long Halloween and Dark Victory, in addition to being a big fan of Gotham Central and Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run as Batman related spin-offs.
Yeah I read Hush just last week and I think it's a great intro for a lot of Batman villains and stuff but some of it is pretty juvenile in some spots or IMO the whole
Batman/Catwoman romance just fizzles out over a single page which is lol

Long Halloween/Dark Victory still hold up, the former more so.

DC had no presence whatsoever in the comic-book landscape of my country when I was a kid. So all I read was 90% Marvel stuff plus the occasional manga and euro comic. There were a few Batman graphic novels that got translated and also Crisis on Infinite Earths for some reason, which fascinated me even though I had no idea who anybody was outside of Bats and Superman.

I stopped reading comics for the most part when I was around 13. And then when I moved to the UK for college and saw a bunch of DC collections in a comic-book shop, I realized that I had been missing out. I started with Johns' JSA which was hilariously convoluted but it made me fall in love with the entire universe.

Some of my favorites:
- anything by Morrison, especially Final Crisis and JLA
- John's runs on JSA and The Flash
- Wonder Woman by Rucka
- Legion by Mark Waid
- Omega Men by King
- Kirby's Fourth World + Kamandi and The Demon
- Swamp Thing by Wein and Wrightson
- and an infinity of other series...

Like most people, I used to think Superman was kinda bland as a kid, even though I liked the animated series. He's my favorite superhero now. Despite being ultra famous, he's really underrated in a way, I think only Batman has more classic stories to his name.

Rebirth is pretty good right now, especially Super Sons and Deathstroke.

Like most people, I used to think Superman was kinda bland as a kid, even though I liked the animated series. He's my favorite superhero now. Despite being ultra famous, he's really underrated in a way, I think only Batman has more classic stories to his name.

Rebirth is pretty good right now, especially Super Sons and Deathstroke.
What are the best Superman series/graphic novels to check out? Could never get into them except for the action

Machine

Sir_Crocodile's list is pretty solid although I'd add some stuff other old stuff including:

Grant Morrison - Doom Patrol
George Perez - Wonder Woman
John Ostrander written books, mostly with art by Tom Mandrake - Firestorm, Suicide Squad, The Spectre (!!), and Martian Manhunter
Grant/Breyfogle run on Detective
Jerry Ordway - Power of Shazam (graphic novel and subsequent series)
Wolfman/Perez - Teen Titans
Waid then Johns - Flash

Plenty of other great stuff if I spent more time thinking about it

This art is very nice.

I assume you've read Batman stuff like Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory etc.? I know you've been reading Snyder's New 52 Batman run but aren't that big a fan.

My DC knowledge ain't all that but I can recommend:

- Detective Comics Rebirth
- Superman Rebirth
- All Star Superman
- Superman for All Seasons

Rebirth books that have been recommended to me:

- Deathstroke
- Wonder Woman
- Aquaman
- Green Arrow
- Nightwing

What are the best Superman series/graphic novels to check out? Could never get into them except for the action

The Man of Steel (John Byrne)
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
All-Star Superman
Superman: For The Man Who Has Everything
Superman for all Seasons

Are the top ones.

I have The Trial of Superman & Superman: Time and Time Again in my list above too, but those two are more the fun action ones rather then really delving into supes. Still worth a read if you end up liking him afterwards.

I would also recommend watching the STAS episode "The Late Mr Kent", which really gets into the essence of the character.

Lois & Clark did that well too in the earlier episodes. Superman simultaneously has my favourite ever superhero animated series and live action series in STAS and Lois & Clark.

My two favorites are All Star Superman and Final Crisis / Superman Beyond by Morrison but I wouldn't recommend them to a newcomer as they are a complete mindfuck. If you're already used to Morrison, then you can check them out. Superman Beyond is so fucking weird, it's impossible to sum up, I love it. It could never be anything else other than a comic. But you probably shouldn't start there.

The classics:
- Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow? by Alan Moore - a heartfelt homage to the Silver Age
- For the Man who has Everything, also by Moore
- Secret Identity by Busiek
- For All Seasons, mostly for the art
- Action Comics #775, "What's so funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?"
- Birthright by Mark Waid - the best origin story imo, with one incredibly impactful moment
- Kingdom Come - old Superman teaches a lesson to 90s edgelords

And... Maybe:
- Superman / Batman Annual #1 for some fun multiverse fuckery co-starring Deadpool
- The Return of Superman - if you can handle the 90s

Plus, currently:
Superman, Super Sons and New Super-Man. You can read all of them independently but they're all very fun.
Superman is a family man now. Super Sons is about the adventures of his son and Damian Wayne. New Super-Man is about a Super-Man "clone" engineered and controlled by the Chinese government to lead the Justice League of China. It's hilarious.

Jmille99

I had been out of comics for several years when I ran across a comic shop around the time they were leading up to Infinite Crisis. Holy hell. Not only did that feel like an amazing lead-in with Countdown to Infinite Crisis followed by the 4 6-issue mini-series, but also some amazing books at the time elsewhere in the company.

Despite people disliking it, I really dug the Azzarello/Lee run on Superman.

Winnicks run on Batman brought back Jason Todd with an arc I absolutely adored (that didnt end as well as I had hoped)

I loved Johns run on Teen Titans, and on the big boy league side, Busiek on JLA.

Rucka on Wonder Woman.

Just...what an amazing time to jump back in.

VeeP

I completely forgot, Red Hood & The Outlaws Rebirth and onwards is great. Seriously. I don't know if anyone read the New52 version of this book, but it was trash. Lobdell pulled some magic with this book and it's great. If your a fan of Jason at all, I highly recommend checking it out.

I thought that Nightwing looked familiar

Lol

Nicolada

52 will give you a ton of exposure to DC characters that aren't A-listers, so read that.

Grant Morrison's Animal Man for comics meta

Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis, then Flashpoint, Convergence, and Rebirth over time for when you wanna learn about the continuity.

All the Superman staples that have been mentioned a thousand times. All Star, Secret Identity, Kingdom Come, etc.

And anything starring the Justice League International plus Booster Gold/Blue Beetle for good laughs.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm currently doing some catching up on some stories that I missed in the last couple years.

Reading through Grayson, We Are Robin, and Robin Son of Batman, eventually to read through Robin War.

I'd recommend n52 run of Aquaman. Made me a fan of the character.

Bunn's part is the weakest, but everything else was great.

Rebirth Red Hood and the Outlaws has been really good as well. Can't believe it's the same guy writing as during the n52. What a turn around.

Sober

I've been mostly reading recommended stuff for DC comics (Marvel is a whole beast I can't seem to find a good jumping on point for in comparison to DC), but now that I found my library card and started using Hoopla I've also been reading the stuff that isn't considered as good and some of that stuff is really hokey and bad. How did people deal with stuff like that it when it was releasing monthly as issues? For instance Green Arrow's New 52 premiere is pretty atrocious short of Jeff Lemire writing him for about 15 or so issues.

-Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid - the best origin story imo, with one incredibly impactful moment
I just finished this and despite me only knowing the basics of Superman's origins, this is a great "modern" interpretation of it, especially "that" moment.

jon bones

Thanks guys! Putting together a “pre JL movie” list:

Superman: Birthright
rewatch Wonder Woman
N52 Darkseid War (already read a bunch of N52 so i feel good about going into the event)

anything i should read before Darkseid War though? is Miracle Man’s N52 debut in it? should i read some Kirby New Gods stuff beforehand to learn about that world?

rewatch Wonder Woman
N52 Darkseid War (already read a bunch of N52 so i feel good about going into the event)

anything i should read before Darkseid War though? is Miracle Man’s N52 debut in it? should i read some Kirby New Gods stuff beforehand to learn about that world?

You can go into Darkseid War basically cold.

Vyer

Superman Secret Origin (doesn’t get mentioned enough, really good read and covers a lot of the bases for the modern version of the character)
Superman Birthright
All Star Superman
Superman American Alien

Someone mentioned Kingdom Come, and it’s great, but it’s definitely more rewarding if you have more of a familiarity as a whole with DC heroes.

jon bones

You can go into Darkseid War basically cold.

thanks - considering reading these beforehand - thoughts?

JLA Rock of Ages

Seven Soldiers: Miracle Man - if he is introduced in N52, i’ll probably skip this til after Darkseid War. if it is more rewarding to know his pre-Flashpoint history i will read it before.

i’ve read the rest of N52 JL so i am up to speed mostly

Renekton

I completely forgot, Red Hood & The Outlaws Rebirth and onwards is great. Seriously. I don't know if anyone read the New52 version of this book, but it was trash. Lobdell pulled some magic with this book and it's great. If your a fan of Jason at all, I highly recommend checking it out.
I know DC is doing Jason right nowadays (even sacrificed Lady Shiva for him), but I still can't get over his disturbingly unhinged pre-52 antics.

JLA Rock of Ages
Seven Soldiers: Miracle Man

Rock of Ages is absolutely fantastic. But if you're not familiar with Morrison it might be a bit weird at first. Still worth a try. If you can read the JLA issues that came before, it would probaby help. I think Rock of Ages started around issue 10 or so.

And I assume you mean Mister Miracle.
Seven Soldiers is great but should be read as a whole. The four different mini-series kinda make sense by themselves but you'll be missing out on a lot of backstory. The Seven Soldiers collections (I think there are two) contain every issue in the appropriate reading order.

None of that is necessary for Darkseid War though but they are great books.

pa22word

Batman seems unique in comics in that he's just fucked up enough to seem human, and always one step away from insanity. The latter of which I can relate to quite well.

That's my only guess as to why I keep coming back to him despite me entirely giving up on capes and buying image almost exclusively. Well, that and a dose of nostalgia doesn't hurt :p

How much older stuff have you read?

I've been dabbling in some of the certified good older runs. Swamp Thing, Hellblazer and Doom Patrol mainly. Gotta finish off Sandman too.

Machine

JLA Rock of Ages

Seven Soldiers: Miracle Man - if he is introduced in N52, i’ll probably skip this til after Darkseid War. if it is more rewarding to know his pre-Flashpoint history i will read it before.

It may or may not matter but be aware that the Mister Miracle in Seven Soldiers is Shilo Norman. Most other Mister Miracle stories, including the new book, are based on the Kirby character Scott Free.

jon bones

thanks, i’m just gonna dive into Darkseid War

How much older stuff have you read?

I've been dabbling in some of the certified good older runs. Swamp Thing, Hellblazer and Doom Patrol mainly. Gotta finish off Sandman too.

a lot of the 80s stuff - swamp thing, transmet, sandman, etc

a lot of the well known bat books too - year one, hush, long halloween, etc

SeppOCE

I love everything Batman its so consistently good.

Really want to see this 3 joker thing have an explanation though.

VeeP

rewatch Wonder Woman

I’d say before you read Darkseid War, you should read Forever Evil. Darkseid War actually features some of the characters introduced in Forever Evil, that’s why.

geomon

The Rebirth line (with the exceptions of Harley Quinn, Cyborg, and Batgirl) have been good to outstanding in my opinion. Of course this is after New 52 made me drop DC Comics almost completely.

JLA Rock of Ages

You can read rock of ages on its own, but imo its preferable to read JLA 1-9 before reading it, Morrison starts the new Justice League after years of it being garbage, so its nice to get in at the beginning. It's all collected.

jon bones

ok those first two issues of Darkseid War were lit

not sure who some of these people are but i guess i will learn

jon bones

question RE: Wonder Woman

is it worth reading Azarello's N52 run? i heard it was removed from continuity ?

Veelk

Banned

is it worth reading Azarello's N52 run? i heard it was removed from continuity ?
I'd say so. It's a different look at wonder woman's mythology, a little too dark than is sensible in places, but not any less valid an interpretation for that.

I've only read the first arc but from what I understand it's pretty good. And regarding its place in continuity, does it matter? The current version of WW will probably be retconned / rebooted in a few years but as long as the stories are good I don't mind. Anyway, I believe Rucka tweaked some stuff from the New 52 run but I don't think it was completely erased.

jon bones

what should i read before Kingdom Come?

I'm thinking Birthright & All-Star Superman. i kind of have a good sense of most of the DC heroes at this point.

That run is epic, WW by Azzarello, Batman by Snyder, JL by Johns, Batman and Robin, and Aquamam (all of it) were the best parts of N52 imo. If you like the God of War games you will like this. Also it still happened in continuity, just that she was living a lie at this point in her life, that is all.

Rainer70

I've been on a DC kick since graduating and landing a sweet job that allows me opportunities to read. I'm also catching up to Rebirth, but out of New52 some of my favorites are Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing.

Flashpoint might also be one of my favorite stories, the ending legit had me tearing up. DC Universe Rebirth Deluxe is good too, looking forward to The Button Deluxe dropping next week.

Top Bottom