• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Final Fantasy VI

Long post ahead, Jeff!

I got into the series in '91 with FFII (IV), despite having played and frankly not enjoyed FF1.

To be honest, FFII (and the SNES in general) brought forth a real love for the medium that I just didn't have during the NES years. Sure, I had a blast with the NES, but I never really felt any kind of emotional attachment to the games of that era.

So after FFII, I quickly considered myself a fan of the series and wanted more.

I went through the crushing rumors and never-ending waiting throughout '92 and '93, patiently watching the various game magazines for ANY news regarding FFIII (at the time believed to be the translated FFV). I even wrote letters at Square Redmond - yeah... those primitive non-email days- and the responses were always "Look forward to FINAL FANTASY III in Spring '93!" then in the spring it became "Look forward to FINAL FANTASY III in Fall '93!" and so on.

Painful.

In late winter '94 (I'd say end of Feb/early March), I saw my first images of FFVI... and my mind was blown. It looked AMAZING. Not just the graphics, but its weird, dark aesthetic which was so unlike IV (and what I had seen from V).
I felt ill looking at the images. FFIII (V) was still nowhere to be and I wanted this game- really badly. The entire look of it was right up my alley. Immediately FFV lost almost all mystique... and I couldn't even imagine how long it would take us to get what I assumed would be FFIV (VI), if ever.

Then GameFan gave me hope a couple months later, boldly proclaiming that FFVI, not V, would be coming to the US SNES as FFIII... and it would be coming out THIS (1994 :p) fall!
I almost fell out of my chair and I think my brain refused to believe it. In fact, despite EGM and GamePro following suit with the news, it wasn't until I saw the ad ("Who says life is fair?" ad) for it in August in a GameFan issue that I started to believe.

As we all know now, it released in the US in October of '94... and at the time, everything about it was bigger and better (to me) than II. I was fired up- and the game delivered. Awesome times. :}

in the running for my fav final fantasy, and easily one of the best in the series.

love love love this game.

and kefka is the greatest ff villain evah

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
figarocastle.jpg

We open today's chapter in mechanized Figaro Castle. We open today's memories with my distinct recollection of canting my head sideways the first time I saw this place submerge. But that's getting ahead of ourselves.

As far back as I can recall, I've had this thing where I send Terra out into the desert all on her lonesome for a couple of battles and challenge myself to survive against hot sands teeming with Sand Rays and Arachnids. The Arachnids enjoy casting Numb, which stops time and prevents Terra from responding in any way until she is nearly dead. I couldn't tell you where this compulsion comes from, but I know I did it as a kid, and I know my failed attempts to replay this game have always followed suit. As an added bonus, I get to experience one of gaming's greatest overworld themes just a little bit earlier than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RPY-oiDAQ

I'm not very good at describing music. This despite having (briefly) performed in a band. I was the singer, so that's my excuse. It's hard to describe what exactly it is about this track that blows my mind. I think it's the overlay. There are layers here, some of them adventurous and others bleak. You hear those layers as you listen to the song, and they blend well and set the atmosphere for the World of Balance. It's a majestic theme and it hits all the right notes, not only for the titular character but for the land she lives in.

So, Terra survives her latest challenge and as a reward she is introduced to this guy.

latest

Edgar's got swag. He doesn't miss a beat in hitting on Terra, but somehow it doesn't come across as overly tropey. I think it's in the little things. "I'm dying to know if I'm your type." It's got a certain needy quality to it. He's flawed for his flirtations. The maids tell Terra he tried hitting on the high priestess once and it didn't go so well. Little things like this sell me on archetypes. Y'know, who is this high priestess, anyway? And who's this chancellor? One doesn't have a name; the other's never seen. Poor chaps.

Edgar admits that Terra's abilities ought to be used for good. Before long, however, a certain Kefka Palazzo has sand in his boots. Let's do justice to that line.

sand.png

It's a great one. Did Kefka have sand in his boots in the more recent versions? I sure hope he did. The Woolsey v. Anti-Woolsey camps in Final Fantasy VI's fandom are fairly pronounced. For a long time I welcomed the more recent script changes. i still don't despite them, even! But "son of a submariner" soon follows, and that's a heck of a line.

Kefka threatens Edgar, who gets Locke to shove Terra out the door. Kefka then torches Figaro Castle, which drops down into the sand like Xenogears' Yggdrasil, dumbfounding the Empire's court jester (who at this point new players have little reason to suspect is in fact the main antagonist).

A very goofy scene follows, as I have Terra cast Fire during the battle with the pursuing guards. There's something very special, very FFVI, about the fact that three party members bounce about -- even glitching into the Magitek sprite at one point! -- and carry on a full-scale conversation about her powers right there during the battle screen. Imagine if, in Final Fantasy VII, Cloud somehow just turned to Aerith and commented on her restorative magics while Shina soldiers paced their feet to and fro all rather patiently. It's hard to fathom, even for a game as tonally myriad as FFVII, because it simply never happens. VI just doesn't care. VI is gonna VI.

I want to talk about those guards.

96073_1289249575.jpg

So these two Magitek troopers who accompany Kefka. Good or evil? Dumb and misguided or vile and worth the slaying? Here's the thing. They're stuck in dead-end jobs getting scolded by Kefka and racing to scrub his boots. And then, just moments before their deaths, they allow our heroes to prattle about and freak out over the heroine's capabilities. They just sit there, patiently. Now, some might say this is simple game design 101. And of course, they would be correct. But maybe, just maybe, your humble author wished to dedicate an entire paragraph to nonsense. Still, they mock the flames of Edgar's burning castle if you approach them during that pivotal scene. Perhaps they are merely desensitized, but it's hard to sympathize with such villainy. In the end, I think they're alright.

But it matters not, because they're dead now.

Mode 7 kicks in full stop on our chocobo ride to a nearby cave. Terra's bummed Edgar accidentally insinuated she's inhuman, which is a very memorable thing when one considers the knowledge available later on in the narrative. We ask a turtle to heal us, kill some hornets indiscriminately, and pull up near this quaint town.

5.jpg

A bearded man says, "chocobo ride, 80GP. Hop on?" We decline.

Later this evening, we'll explore South Figaro and climb a certain mountain. Fun times ahead, folks.

Get'sMad

my first and still favorite FF.

I have really fond memories of watching my dad play through it as a 9 year old in 1994 and him naming all of the characters after my sister and I's friends.

It's been too long since I've done a replay....I really need to change that.

Gaffi

This thread and the posts made me tear up. I was born in '92, so I was a bit too young to appreciate this game like I did with FFVII at the time. I actually managed to snag a SNES copy of FFIII (FFVI) on eBay, but I only managed to beat it once a long time ago. It is easily my favorite game of the series. From the art design and character design, to the narrative, Mode Seven, the nostalgia this game brings for my childhood of the 90s, etc. I need to beat this game after I finish Shin Megami Tensei IV.
This game essentially embodies my childhood gaming and is the first jrpg I remember ever playing. I was around 5 and played through the Narshe mines repeatedly when my older brother would let me, probably died on the whelk everytime but I just loved it. I recognize the battle system isnt the most complex or crazy but I always thought the option to play "coop" with a 2nd controller was so cool.

kromeo

What are your top Final Fantasies? I love comparing rankings with fellow diehards. For me, it's VII/X/Tactics, with VI and IX not far behind (despite my weird issues returning to VI until now).

The 3 I'd put above are VIII, IX, X but honestly you can add in VII, XII and Tactics and there's not a whole lot between any of them for me

I could look back at all the rankings I've done on this site before and I doubt the orders would be the same in any of them

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
"Stop swooning!"

I loved that magic scene in the desert. I think you can totally miss it, can't you? Or does it happen anytime Terra uses magic for the first time with Edgar in the party?

Slythe

I am new to the series and have only beaten IV and V, in the home stretch of VI. In my opinion the cast is bloated and pacing is all over the place (especially in world of ruin). The game is massive and has many world building moments, so I understand that for those who played when younger it holds a very special place.

But for me I vastly preferred IV for cast and narrative and V for combat and strategy over VI.

Edit: in an effort to focus on positives, I loved the Ghost Train sequence

"Stop swooning!"

I loved that magic scene in the desert. I think you can totally miss it, can't you? Or does it happen anytime Terra uses magic for the first time with Edgar in the party?

I've always triggered it in the desert, but now you have me wondering. I'd love to know too

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Long post ahead, Jeff!

This was such a good read! Thank you so much for it. You really conveyed your anticipation well and you brought me back even farther into the fandom than I was around for. I'm grateful to have been a Final Fantasy fan since early 1998, but I treasure stories from those who were into it before that. There's kind of this narrative in my generation and even some future ones that FF-playing started in the West with FFVII, and I can see how that'd happen, but it's really not true. There were fans since the original and VII was the big breakout scene is all.

The 3 I'd put above are VIII, IX, X but honestly you can add in VII, XII and Tactics and there's not a whole lot between any of them for me

I could look back at all the rankings I've done on this site before and I doubt the orders would be the same in any of them

Great picks all-around. ;) "Golden Age Square" is glorious. I'm hoping to do other topics like these for various installments at some point once I've wrapped VI, or at least, to follow someone else who charts the course for them instead. Ongoing chatter for Square's best titles is something I'll never turn down.

"Stop swooning!"

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it in the cave or even on the world map at some point, but I could be mistaken. What's funny is that waiting until later causes it to make less and less sense, since the flip-outs would be kind of absurd when you've already got, like, Banon asking Terra to use her magic and such.

I wish I had multiple save files so I could test this. <_<;

Edit: in an effort to focus on positives, I loved the Ghost Train sequence

Hey, positive or negative, I think we all dig hearing opinions! I'm coming at this game from an odd angle, myself, anyway. Welcome to the series, by the way. I'd love to hear more in-depth thoughts on IV and V -- and certainly the PSX and PS2 entries!

I have been thinking about playing this again soon. It's been 22 years since I list played it to completion.

Damn. That's even longer than me. Do iiiiit.

antitrop

I'm pretty sure Terra's m-m-m-m-m-magic scene can happen outside of the desert. I think I had it happen during a random battle on the overworld in one playthrough.

butalala

FF6 is an immense game. The World of Balance is an amazing rollercoaster ride of event after event after event. I don't enjoy the World of Ruin quite as much, but I appreciate the bold decision to move to open-world design. Give me green-hair Terra or give me death.

kswiston

I have been thinking about playing this again soon. It's been 22 years since I list played it to completion.

The Final Fantasy series turns 30 in 2017, so we should all pick a game or two to replay in commemoration.

I last played FFVI in 2006. I think it was the SNES version via emulation, as I was away from my game collection. I own a lot of versions of this game though. SNES, PS1, GBA, Android, and possibly a copy on Virtual Console.

I really like 2/3's of VI but it loses me in the World of Ruin. Coincidently thats the third where Kefka mostly dissapears.

kswiston

I really like 2/3's of VI but it loses me in the World of Ruin. Coincidently thats the third where Kefka mostly dissapears.

I never really cared about Kefka. The plot twist was ruined for me by the time I played the game for the first time in 1998, and I didnt find him to have much depth outside of the novelty of him "winning".

BriGuy

I know it's nostalgia speaking, but the opera scene still affects me more than the movie-quality CGI cutscenes we get in modern Final Fantasies. FF3/6 is definitely my favorite in the series, and I don't see that changing any time soon. That said, I need to vacate this thread lest it convince me to abandon FF15 for another replay.

Slythe

Hey, positive or negative, I think we all dig hearing opinions! I'm coming at this game from an odd angle, myself, anyway. Welcome to the series, by the way. I'd love to hear more in-depth thoughts on IV and V -- and certainly the PSX and PS2 entries!
Cool! I hate to rain on people's parade when I can avoid it.

IV was such a grand adventure, I'm so happy it was my first FF. The instant tension between Cecil, Kain and Rosa was played out perfectly. The battle system is very straightforward, and I genuinely felt I had to use every ability that every character had - especially with party members popping in and out frequently. The characters all felt very unique from one another (old wizard, two small twins, a young girl, a monk etc) and useful in their own ways. IV nails the grand adventure I always expected an FF to feel like.

Then I got into V, and wow what a shift. Cutting the cast way down and focusing on emergent, system based battle strategies gave V this sense of moment to moment satisfaction that I can't quite put my finger on. This is the only game I have spent hours grinding in just because completing job builds was enjoyable in and of itself. If IV Satisfied my desire for adventure, V Satisfied my desire for strategy and building something unique from nothing.

Then a couple months ago I got to VI. "Here we go, this is the FF masterpiece." Instead of feeling invested narratively (like IV) or strategically (like V) I just feel kind of overwhelmed and uninterested. I like Sabin and Celes more than the main characters (Terra and Locke), however none of the bunch Feel particularly well developed. When long lost friends returned in IV I found myself surprised and excited. In VI I'm hunting down my lost party members and having to try to remember what their names even were.

Even more frustrating is the way the magicite system is overshadowed by the innate moves each character possesses. I love that the FF cast members have unique abilities, but they are so powerful in most cases that I feel next to no desire to strategize like I did in V. Cast members like Gau and Strago go basically untouched because, well, they don't know blitz!

I think the simplest way can state my opinion of VI (so far) is that it's massive and ambitious, but fails to do any one things supremely well. The story has moments but no momuntum, the characters are plentiful but feel like they are stepping all over each other's screen time. And the battle system and character building are cool and flashy but leave me strategically on autopilot.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm pretty sure Terra's m-m-m-m-m-magic scene can happen outside of the desert. I think I had it happen during a random battle on the overworld in one playthrough.

Cool, thanks for the intel!

FF6 is an immense game. The World of Balance is an amazing rollercoaster ride of event after event after event. I don't enjoy the World of Ruin quite as much, but I appreciate the bold decision to move to open-world design. Give me green-hair Terra or give me death.

I'm curious how I'll take to the World of Ruin now. I'm not the biggest open world fan (I have... opinions... on what it does to urgency and good narrative direction) but I can get wrapped up in them sometimes regardless. Besides, I really enjoy the atmosphere of that part of the game. (I picked the OP's first pic for a reason! :p)

Gah, now this thread has encouraged me to resume my FFVI playthrough on Steam!

#Winning

The Final Fantasy series turns 30 in 2017, so we should all pick a game or two to replay in commemoration.

I am so down for this.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
IV was such a grand adventure, I'm so happy it was my first FF. The instant tension between Cecil, Kain and Rosa was played out perfectly. The battle system is very straightforward, and I genuinely felt I had to use every ability that every chaaacter had - especially with party members popping in and out frequently. The characters all felt very unique from one another (old wizard, two small twins, a young girl, a monk etc) and useful in their own ways. IV nails the grand adventure I always expected an FF to feel like.

You know, this is making me want to go back to FFIV sooner rather than later. I'm always so hesitant to replay it now because I can't decide whether I want to go with SNES, DS, or PSP. I know there are extra scenes in the DS version but I seem to recall preferring the SNES/GBA/PSP style of gameplay. I think. Maybe.

Frak. I don't remember. D:

[quoteThen I got into V, and wow what a shift. Cutting the cast way down and focusing on emergent, system based battle strategies gave V this sense of moment to moment satisfaction that I can't quite put my finger on. This is the only game I have spent hours grinding in just because completing job builds was enjoyable in and of itself. If IV Satisfied my desire for adventure, V Satisfied my desire for strategy and building something unique from nothing.[/quote]

FFV is pretty cool. I even dig the story; I don't really think it's the total weak link many fans seem to insist it is. I greatly enjoy the end of World 2, for example.

Forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but which system are you using for your playthroughs? Advance has a fantastic new(er) localization for FFV.

Then a couple months ago I got to VI.

Huh! Interesting stuff. One thing I'm sure I'll touch upon later is that I've never been the biggest fan of magic being learnable for every character. It works, and the lore that you're basically becoming the "Mage Knights" for the new war is swiftly and effectively conveyed, but I don't know. I think I might have preferred that only certain characters are capable. Weird, maybe? *shrug*

I can see where you're coming from with the cast bloat. I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about that this time.

Gaffi

I'm curious how I'll take to the World of Ruin now. I'm not the biggest open world fan (I have... opinions... on what it does to urgency and good narrative direction) but I can get wrapped up in them sometimes regardless. Besides, I really enjoy the atmosphere of that part of the game. (I picked the OP's first pic for a reason! :p)
It's interesting b/c if I remember there isn't much plot urgency as Kefka isn't trying to do anything in particular in the second half. Just wants to keep everyone miserable for eternity. But yeah I know what you mean about open world's effect on pacing. Oddly I never really thought of it as open world but more like a much bigger version of the earlier parts where the party split and you played them in what ever order you wanted. I realize WoR stuff is optional so it's not the same but finding everyone back was mandatory to me :)

Gaffi

This thread is making me wish FFVII hadn't been my first FF.
VI was my first FF and probably favorite but VII is damn good in all of its new efforts and comes away as much more memorable if that makes sense. It's funny but youre first FF being you're favorite is true more often than not in my experience atleast.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's interesting b/c if I remember there isn't much plot urgency as Kefka isn't trying to do anything in particular in the second half. Just wants to keep everyone miserable for eternity. But yeah I know what you mean about open world's effect on pacing. Oddly I never really thought of it as open world but more like a much bigger version of the earlier parts where the party split and you played them in what ever order you wanted. I realize WoR stuff is optional so it's not the same but finding everyone back was mandatory to me :)

Yeah, that's what I meant earlier when (I think) I said something about the World of Ruin's optional content often being really rather mandatory to fans like us. Getting the crew back together is the plot of the World of Ruin straight up 'til right before the end, and it's where the quests feel the closest in urgency and relevance to the World of Balance. At least, that's how I recall it...? Goodness, it's been forever.

And yeah, I wasn't really referring to WoR as "open world" until recently, myself! I just keep seeing it thrown around lately and I suppose it's apt.

Haha, same. VII was a great place to jump in, though. We ain't so far off the mark! That game's ancient history now, too. :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
VII was my first and I still enjoyed VI, even if it isn't my favorite (from what I've played, anyway)

Also... green hair Terra > blonde hair Terra

500full.jpg

There's something very striking about her green haired design that bled through even in her chibi sprite. Blonde Terra is kind of boring by comparison, especially in a game with another blonde female lead (Celes)

I need to play this again. GBA patch might be the way to go

Madame M

Banned
I would like to see another FF6 remake, I wouldn't even mind if it built off of the one for iOS/Windows but they just fix the character sprites to not be so hideous and make the UI a little more like SNES style. The only version I ever played was the PSX version which was crap :( Sadly I could never get a hold of the GBA version because it was massively undershipped and now the prices for it are atrocious.

Wow, looking it up on Amazon it's cheaper to get a SNES cart than it is to get a GBA cart. Shocking.

Zakalwe

Banned
I also mean that the game will undoubtedly lose some impact now. Going back after 7, 8, 9, heck even 10 might have felt ok to me, but game design has changed a lot since then (for better or worse) and I feel I have biases and set opinions that might detract from the experience.

I have trouble going back to older games this way, unless I have some kind of emotional connection with them. Still consider Re2 and MGS1 top 5 GOAT.

This game is often heralded as the best story telling in the series, it's games like this and Planescape that make me kind of sad I didn't experience them at the time.

-

I'm absolutely going to try it though. I may even invest in the relevant handheld to help with the retro experience. Really looking forward to it after reading through this thread!

VII was my first and I still enjoyed VI, even if it isn't my favorite (from what I've played, anyway)

Also... green hair Terra > blonde hair Terra

500full.jpg

There's something very striking about her green haired design that bled through even in her chibi sprite. Blonde Terra is kind of boring by comparison, especially in a game with another blonde female lead (Celes)

I need to play this again. GBA patch might be the way to go

Green haired Terra is definitely best Terra.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Green-haired Terra represent. I agree it's the best.

I'm absolutely going to try it though. I may even invest in the relevant handheld to help with the retro experience. Really looking forward to it after reading through this thread!

I'd be very interested in hearing how it goes for you. Beginning the series with VII/T/VIII and then hopping into VI for the first time less than two years later in '99 was pretty easy for me as a kid, but I see what you mean. I can retro it up with my faves, but I haven't taken the leap and tried SNES-era stuff for the first time as much as I'd like.

Gaffi

Green haired Terra is definitely best Terra.
Did Amano ever draw Terra with green hair? If not is there an official reason why they made it green in game? I realize this happened quite a bit with Amano's concept vs what the sprites could handle but I never understood through reasoning on the hair colors.

Slythe

Forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but which system are you using for your playthroughs? Advance has a fantastic new(er) localization for FFV.

Huh! Interesting stuff. One thing I'm sure I'll touch upon later is that I've never been the biggest fan of magic being learnable for every character. It works, and the lore that you're basically becoming the "Mage Knights" for the new war is swiftly and effectively conveyed, but I don't know. I think I might have preferred that only certain characters are capable. Weird, maybe? *shrug*

I can see where you're coming from with the cast bloat. I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about that this time.

Well... I've been playing the iOS versions for all three. Yes I know, shameful (especially what they did to the artstyle of V and VI) but the reality is the convenience of playing these on my phone has been instrumental. I originally bought all three via the PSX discs back in 2014 but when I realized they were next to unplayable due to old times I was faced with either buying a GBA and the cartridges or going iOS. I will say that footage I've seen of VI from the SNES version the asthetics are phenomenal. I readily admit that this may have to do with my lack of immersion in VI.

When I play through them next time I plan to either emulate or go GBA, definitely open to suggestions. Once I committed to iOS for the SNES games I decided it'd be best to stick with that platform. After VI I plan to play VII VIII and IX next year. I enjoy seeing how square's approach changed after each entry.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well... I've been playing the iOS versions for all three. Yes I know, shameful (especially what they did to the artstyle of V and VI) but the reality is the convenience of playing these on my phone has been instrumental. I originally bought all three via the PSX discs back in 2014 but when I realized they were next to unplayable due to old times I was faced with either buying a GBA and the cartridges or going iOS. I will say that footage I've seen of VI from the SNES version the asthetics are phenomenal. I readily admit that this may have to do with my lack of immersion in VI.

When I play through them next time I plan to either emulate or go GBA, definitely open to suggestions. Once I committed to iOS for the SNES games I decided it'd be best to stick with that platform. After VI I plan to play VII VIII and IX.

Ahh, cool. I think the iOS/Android versions of IV are based on the aesthetics found in the PSP version? I thiiiink? In which case it's basically slicker-looking SNES/PSX paint job. It's 2D instead of the DS' 3D version. Lacks the voice acting/additional scenes/augments/etc but it's faithful to the original and then includes the GBA version's party-switching and optional trials at the end.

...I could be way off-base here. My FFIV knowledge only goes so far. Goodness, there are so many versions of FFIV.

And yeah, eh, I don't dig the mobile look for FFVI at all. I think FFV's new style "offends" me far less, since that game's always been on the brighter side, but VI's somewhat darker aesthetic doesn't seem to be present from the screens I've seen. Although I'm curious how that style looks with the World of Ruin...

kromeo

Did Amano ever draw Terra with green hair? If not is there an official reason why they made it green in game? I realize this happened quite a bit with Amano's concept vs what the sprites could handle but I never understood through reasoning on the hair colors.

If I had to guess I'd say it was to differentiate her from Celes

Ganondorfo

I loved Final Fantasy VI and always wanted to ask if there was another RPG out there that also does the world of ruin part like Final Fantasy VI did. Where the villain is very menacing and achieves what he wants.

oSoLucky

This game is my favorite of all time. It has its problems with bugs and some useless party members(Umaro, Cyan, Gau), but the characters and world more than make up for it. I love how much stuff is legitimately missable but not anywhere close to required. It made exploring all the more fun. I was so surprised at how dark the subject matter is. 74.99 well spent! I literally skipped eating lunch for 2 weeks(I would get $10/wk) to afford this game and I would have happily gone a year. From the first time that I saw it I knew it had to be mine.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I loved Final Fantasy VI and always wanted to ask if there was another RPG out there that also does the world of ruin part like Final Fantasy VI did. Where the villain is very menacing and achieves what he wants.

I'll spoiler-tag this. I hesitate to bring this up because it spoils a big aspect of the game in question, and it's a shame because I could really sell the game to people if I felt like bringing this up was permissible. :p

Xenogears. It's a very, very dialogue-heavy game with a huge amount of lore and a high number of plot beats. Toward the end, things go really, really poorly for a while and most of humanity dies as a result. It's not quite the simpler-and-character-centric Kefka's destruction of the world, but it's the same idea on a different level.

A beautiful, timeless game.

I will be playing it again once I finally finish FFXV because I miss the true "summons": espers.

The only Final Fantasy where I felt like none of the main story was filler, but there was plenty of filler if you were looking for it.

There may be another reason FFXV is making me want to go back to FFVI....

Neff

VI was my first Final Fantasy and as such it does occupy a very special place for me. There's just something about those characters and the unique structure (the
open world aspect and sombre atmosphere in the World of Ruin
truly blew my mind) which can't be matched by any RPG. And while I don't regret my first heady experience with VI one bit, I'm just as envious of people who got to play FFVII as their first Final Fantasy back in the day, as I think it's actually even better, in fact I think it's the finest RPG ever made.

It's always interesting to wonder what may have been, but there's no denying the quality of these two amazing games.

There may be another reason FFXV is making me want to go back to FFVI....

I squealed at every
FFVI namedrop
in XV.

Top Bottom