• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Final Fantasy VI

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
ff6overworld2.jpg

22 years since this game was first released.
17 years since the first -- and last -- time I played this game to completion.
I was 12 then.
I'm 29 now.
It's been a long time.

I was born and raised on two things above all else: Star Trek and Final Fantasy. I met a kid way back in sixth grade who showed up on the first day of school wearing a Cloud Strife t-shirt. The dude's design stuck with me. I asked him what the deal was. Let me borrow all his RPGs after I mowed enough lawns for a Sony PlayStation. We opened with FFVII, still just a few months old at the time, and my life changed forever. Went after FFT, Xenogears, FFVIII, y'know the drill. He put emulators on floppy disks for me because I lacked net. This is my story.

Soon enough, a little game called Final Fantasy Anthology popped up on PSX. I'd played a few then-retro RPGs already at that point, mind you. Secret of Mana. Chrono Trigger. Seiken Densetsu 3. It's funny, looking back at the late 90's and recalling how kid-me glanced at 'em like they were ancient. Funny to think how kids will approach Mass Effect 2 in that same light going forward. Time's a bitch. But I digress. Final Fantasy Anthology. I played through VI first. My friends, they told me that was the way to go. Back then, the US of A didn't really have a hankerin' for FFV. At least no one I rolled with.

So I played it. I played FFVI. And I loved it through and through. The color palette, the soundtrack, the whole aesthetic shebang was beautiful. It didn't dethrone FFVII and Xenogears, which just so happen to be my favorite games to this day because on some level I guess I'm an unshakable bastard like that. But it was up there. I have such vivid memories of this game.

Then something happened. I couldn't tell you what it is. FFVI Advance launched in '07 and by then I'd done IV and V on there a couple of times apiece and I was so excited to hop back into one of my favorites after all those years and I just failed at it. Maybe it was the GBA-tier sound quality, maybe the kind of washed-out look. I didn't finish. I tried several more times in the nine years hence to no avail. I've tried on the GBA, I've tried the GBA gig with a patch on PC, I've tried a Virtual Console copy on the ol' Wii, and I cannot get engaged.

But people love this game. I loved this game. I'm bringing the magic back, Empire-style. Whatever it takes, I am going to make it through one of my fondest childhood memories for a second time. I've talked -- loudly -- about the state of affairs within Square Enix for just as long as any other longtime JRPG diehard. I still count nearly half my favorite games as theirs. FFVI was part of that splendor and damn it I'm going to reignite the passion i felt for this highly-regarded game or at least say I gave it my all one last time.

I'm doing it the way I did it back then. Anthology is sharply criticized as one of the worst ports for Final Fantasy VI thanks to its rough, rough load times. It lacks the additional content seen in more recent releases, it's not as smooth as the SNES original, it's just an all-around bad pick in the hearts and minds of basically any FFVI fan I've ever met. But I'm doing it anyway. I will endure the load times. I will try to forget the extra espers I'm missing. I'll deal. But I am going for it anyway, because it's my FFVI nostalgia, and nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

So without further ado...

ff6cg-07.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

We open our much-maligned port with an FMV capable of sending nostalgia shivers all up and down the spine of yours truly. Say what you will, but as a kid I ate this FMV up for dinner and asked for seconds. The music is so somber. The tone is just so unique. I effing love it, full stop. Plus it's got this shot. Look at this man.

ff6anth_art10.jpg

This was my first ever exposure to Kefka Palazzo. This was the first time I ever saw the crazy bastard. It left a tremendous impression with me -- this I well recall. Straight out the gate, in a cutscene designed to evoke memories of 1994 in those who watched, kid-me was seeing this maniac for who he was. I had no context except I instantly knew he was off his rocker.

Another thing I want to talk about here is that the whole cutscene feels rather Metal Gear Solid. Or at least, it did to me then, and that's sticking with me tonight. It's the Magitek Armor, sure, but there's something about the camera angles and overall feel. It's hard to put into words, but it's certainly the most "MGS" I've ever felt watching a Final Fantasy FMV. It hooks me.

The characters wiggle their fingers at me as if to reiterate that it's an ill-advised thing, turning off the console while I'm saving my game. I appreciate that, characters. I appreciate that heads-up. The game opens with a beautiful snowfield scene; BIGGS, WEDGE, and ?????? are hangin' out by a cliff in their Mobile Suits Gundam and we learn that ?????? fried 50 of the Empire's Magitek Troopers in under three minutes. ?????? sounds like she means business. Not to worry, however, because the Slave Crown keeps ?????? well under imperial control.

Something hits me on the way to Narshe.

hqdefault.jpg

8-05062011_214210.png

My main men Sakaguchi and Takahashi right there. Hironobu the King. The Father of Final Fantasy. Takahashi, the Xenogears Perfect Works mastermind. In gaming, these two and their immediate companions (Itou, Nomura, et al) helped define my childhood. As they say in the city, "I literally can't even." Have I mentioned nostalgia's a drug? Because nostalgia's a drug.

But you're reading this post, despite its length. And you're doing it on NeoGAF, even. I don't have to tell you that. You understand, I'm sure.

I go on. In Narshe, rebel soldiers throw dogs at us, then take a tentative step before launching themselves as well. I want to talk about that tentative step. It conveys their apprehension, even now, 22 years later. I get it. There's no questioning that they're afraid to take on our mecha. We slaughter them all. BIGGS levels up. WEDGE levels up. ?????? levels up. I'm already reminded why I dig the color palette in this game. Everything's so stark, so perfectly realized in tone. See for yourself. Pay no mind to the fact that this RTTP has yet to introduce two of the characters visible in this picture. Just look at how atmospheric this damn place is all these years later.

11-13062011_080721.png

Ever-onward and into the cave. We fight a creature-in-a-shell, name of Whelk. In middle school, one of our good friends, a good friend to this day, used to have a thing for annunciating the "Gruuuu..." thing Whelk's got going on. I don't know why. We kill him and move on to the next one. This is it -- what we came for. An esper, Tritoch. In Advance, we call it Valigarmanda. But this sure ain't Advance.

BIGGS and WEDGE are killed. We're in agreement that they're dead, right? They vanish into the ether, like the poor bastards had been struck by Vanish + X-Zone a couple dozen hours early. ?????? goes nap-nap and awakens in the home of an old man, recalling that her name is TERRA. This capitalization schtick is getting old literally already, so I'll stop. Terra can't recall a thing, but she's ushered out the door because the Narshe soldiers whose comrades all got burned, bolted, and iced to pieces have a bone to pick with an imperial "witch" hanging out scot-free. We're in the cave again before we know it but Terra's cornered and down she goes.

Here is where we're introduced to Locke, who prefers the term treasure hunter. I remember liking this guy a lot. I don't entirely remember why. I guess we'll find out, eh, friends? Locke agrees with the fellow who aided Terra that they need to get her out of the city and over to the Returners, and King Edgar, ASAP. He goes on a retrieval op and he's aided by friendly moogles.

I want to talk about these moogles.

22-ffvi03_049.png

Try as I might, I can't find any decent images of the full list of names for the eleven-odd moogles seen in the original translation. But I think these Advance names just further my point -- no matter the localization job, these names are golden. Let's go even deeper.

Per FF Wiki:

The moogles act as "place-fillers" for many of the main playable characters; they share the character slots of most of the playable characters, and are replaced by them when they are introduced in the story. When the player names the playable party members, the game overwrites their data with the playable character's data. This is the reason for the two glitches explained below.

This is super-cool and I didn't know this until literally today. I started noticing oddly familiar attack styles from these moogles and it set my brain a-buzzing. I love little tidbits like these. (Also, follow that link to get a good feel for just how many names these moogles have. This OP is already colossal as-is, so go have a spin.)

We fight our way past the people of Narshe and Terra awakens for the second time in 20 in-game minutes. Locke's already well up on telling her he'll protect her no matter what, and she blinks quite convincingly in response. That's the second time I'm commenting on how believable and still-sharp the little animations are in the field. The sprites sell me on personality. Bill Clinton wasn't even midway through his presidency when Terra first blinked. She's still got it.

I shut my game off shortly after swinging by the classrooms on the outskirts of Narshe. A "monster-in-a-box" gets an NPC laughing at our misfortunes and we hightail it to Figaro at Locke's insistence.

That's all I've got time for today. I'll be turning this into a full-fledged playthrough topic, so be on the lookout for more progress (and painfully lengthy prose) in the coming weeks.

If you've read this whole piece, you must be pretty damned bored. But if you had an alright time with it, or if it triggered your deepest gaming memories as this journey will surely trigger mine, stick around and we'll keep chatting shop on one of the most celebrated roleplaying games in history.

header.jpg

AlexBasch

I still remember being 9 when I played this for the first time. Finished off Atma Weapon and thought it was the end...but then the World of Ruin phase started with that scary music and my mom told me to shut it off and go to bed.

The dread of "what happened to the others?" as Celes was alone in this scary, rotting world is something I still remember after all these years.

Subbed. I've tried to get through ff6 many times over the years and only managed to get remotely close once. Even then, I wouldn't really say I "almost beat it" because that implies that I gave up on the last boss or something. Nope, I just mean I passed the half way point once. I also got to the halfway point and stopped once.

Well, wait. does beating
the World of Balance
count as the half way point? because that's what I'm talking about.

jb1234

VI was one of my most cherished games as a teen but I'll admit that I've also had trouble replaying it. Even though I still love the game and many of its parts (especially that soundtrack), it never quite lives up to what I remembered, especially in how broken the combat is.

I feel bad you have to play the PSX version.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
My second favorite in the franchise.Terra's design is one of my all time favorites.]

What's your #1 pick, out of curiosity? And yeah, there are some wonderful character designs here. For sure.

nd my mom told me to shut it off and go to bed.

The dread of "what happened to the others?" as Celes was alone in this scary, rotting world is something I still remember after all these years.

Oh man. Preach. I remember these moments from some of the games of that era. (Well, I mean, I came at FFVI during the PSX era, but you get the idea.) I look forward to highlighting some more going forward, but I distinctly recall my reaction to the beginning of the World of Ruin. A jaw was dropped.

the World of Balance[/spoiler] count as the half way point? because that's what I'm talking about.

Y'know, people describe it as the halfway point but in terms of story beats I don't recall there being much more than a quarter left in the tank? Counting the "optional" stuff that really most of us would call mandatory, even. But it's been a very, very, very long time... so I suppose we'll see together. :p

I feel bad you have to play the PSX version.

Ahhh, I don't have to, man. Like I said, I'm doing this to myself. I genuinely adore those FMVs, though!

My first FF game on the SNES and still one of my all time favorites.

I patched in the FF6Advanced with the color correction and music restoration patches and plan to play through it one day on my GameCube GBA player

KaYotiX

Banned
It's my favorite ff game still to this day.

I remember buying it back in Jr high on release day and my friends and I would talk about it every day during lunch. Such great memories.... Still have the Snes cart at my folks house in the same Snes I had growing up.

jiggle

Wasn't a big FF fan until this one
Always thought the official art and the ones Nintendo Power used were God awful
But something just clicked when the team split up at banon's

Meowster

Tbh, as slow as the PS1 version is and I'll likely never play it on that system again, the full motion videos are great and the little cameo sprites of Final Fantasy characters throughout the series in the opening splash screen is adorable as fuck (that is this game that has that right? I get confused between the games on PS1 since they were all bundled so closely together).

Gaffi

Son of a Submariner!

This game constantly dances with VII for best FF in my book. The artstyle and sprite animations allow for this odd mix of dark and serious right alongside funny slapstick that I don't think any other game has been able to capture. VII gives me the same feeling in alot of ways with its Lego like proportions and the goofy/dark humor but the roughness of early 3d pales next to the faces and such that VI characters could make.

Looking forward to seeing more. Any love for VI is always worth sharing.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Tbh, as slow as the PS1 version is and I'll likely never play it on that system again, the full motion videos are great and the little cameo sprites of Final Fantasy characters throughout the series in the opening splash screen is adorable as fuck (that is this game that has that right? I get confused between the games on PS1 since they were all bundled so closely together).

I'm not sure of this is the one with the cameos. But I suppose I'll find out! It does have FFVI characters running back and forth, at least, which is adorable in its own right.

PS1 version is comfy. You're not alone in your preference OP.

So comfy. Takes me back. <3

Son of a Submariner!

This game constantly dances with VII for best FF in my book. The artstyle and sprite animations allow for this odd mix of dark and serious right alongside funny slapstick that I don't think any other game has been able to capture. VII gives me the same feeling in alot of ways with its Lego like proportions and the goofy/dark humor but the roughness of early 3d pales next to the faces and such that VI characters could make.

Looking forward to seeing more. Any love for VI is always worth sharing.

VII is my favorite and I've been looking forward to a PS4 run of the game before the remake, but this game has been nagging at me to hop back aboard for close to two-thirds of my life. For all the love VI gets, and the fond, distant memories I have for it, I knew I needed to leap back into the fray!

I actually really enjoy VII's absurd lego look, but that's probably just personal attachment speaking. And besides, you're right -- regular blinking aside, there's nothing VII's models do that is in any way above VI's, heh. (And I've seen it said that the characters blinking in VII looks downright scary to people, anyway. XD)

kromeo

I'd probably rank it my 4th favorite game of all time (the top 3 would also be FFs). The only other games i can think of that even come close are REmake and Metroid Prime 1...

I'm in Europe so I played it straight after 4 and 5 on an emulator originally and there was something about it I just didn't get from the other two... world, music, story, characters

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
VI is where the series became great and Terra is up there with Lightning and Squall as the best main characters of the series (Celes is NOT the lead no matter how hard her fans try).

I wouldn't place VI above VII, VIII or X though.

VI is where the series became great and Terra is up there with Lightning and Squall as the best main characters of the series (Celes is NOT the lead no matter how hard her fans try).

I wouldn't place VI above VII, VIII or X though.

But she's the better character.

Also V exists, so greatness started there.

Zakalwe

Banned
I've never played this game and I've managed to avoid 6 spoilers somehow, so I stopped reading the OT early (which is a shame as I was really enjoying it).

What's the consensus on the best way to play this game?

I currently have a Dell XPS 13 (not a gaming rig at all, but should be able to handle this) and a PS4. What's the best I can do?

Is there a consensus definitive version to play it on?
I know the consensus or where NOT to play it and that's the PS1 port.

OP from your post it sounded like the Wii VC version of SNES FFIII (VI) was an option for you. Why wouldn't you go for that one instead? FFVI on PS1 was the reason y never beat that game until I got it on Wii around 2012. Those excruciating load times killed it for me back in 2001 when I tried FFVI for the first time. Jesus.

I've never played this game and I've managed to avoid 6 spoilers somehow, so I stopped reading the OT early (which is a shame as I was really enjoying it).

What's the consensus on the best way to play this game?

I currently have a Dell XPS 13 (not a gaming rig at all, but should be able to handle this) and a PS4. What's the best I can do?

Not PS1. Either snes original (best visually) or color/music patched gba version (better translation).

I personally don't mind the steam/Android version but a lot of purists hate the change in visuals.

Only because the sprites couldn't be detailed enough as to show them titties
yes Terra's the best

Even her official character art (see above) isn't heavily sexualized.

Magnus

The PS1 version's sound is a bit off. Ruins the experience for me.
The GBA version is feature-complete, but the visuals and sound are a train-wreck. The patches to restore things only go so far (IMO), and you're still limited to the GBA's shitty resolution.
The mobile version is fantastic in every respect (music is perfect, feature-complete, highest resolution of all ports, etc.), but the redone sprites are definitely an off-putter, and touch controls aren't for everyone.

Me, despite the original FF3 (US) cart being my original experience with the game back in 1994, and this being my first RPG and one of my faves of all time...I can stomach the new sprites and touch controls, so I actually dig the mobile version. Having the game wherever you go is awesome, too, and the rejigged interface for battles in the mobile versions actually changes how you play a little bit. It makes Cyan's SwordTech ability useful, for one!

Play mobile, or play the original SNES version (on a SNES, or via emulation on the Wii/WiiU/PC/etc)

OR - see what Square is cooking up for the rumoured FF Anthology 30th Anniversay Collection next year...

I personally like FF6 SNES with a few ROM patches to fix mistakes.

I think last time I played most of it with the evade fix patch (physical evade is broken in the original release...magic evade is used instead).

And a patch for the Realm sketch bug (can corrupt save / crash game).

Great write-up, OP. Final Fantasy VI used to be a favorite of mine. Then for some reason the last time I played it I was really letdown by the World of Ruin and onward. I have no idea why, but it just didn't click for me plot-wise, all the way up to the final confrontation. Once I finish my replay of IX, I plan to get back and replay VI to see if I was having a bad/grumpy month when I replayed VI last.

My second favorite in the franchise.

Terra's design is one of my all time favorites.
tumblr_static_terra_branford__dff__portrait__01.jpg
What is a female Final Fantasy character doing with all of these clothes on?!

Gaffi

I actually really enjoy VII's absurd lego look, but that's probably just personal attachment speaking. And besides, you're right -- regular blinking aside, there's nothing VII's models do that is in any way above VI's, heh. (And I've seen it said that the characters blinking in VII looks downright scary to people, anyway. XD)
Me too, I appreciate them for what they are. They allow for the goofy humor in a way. There are a few memorable emotes. Notably Cloud's signature shrug and Cid's hilarious running animation.

Davilmar

This thread and the posts made me tear up. I was born in '92, so I was a bit too young to appreciate this game like I did with FFVII at the time. I actually managed to snag a SNES copy of FFIII (FFVI) on eBay, but I only managed to beat it once a long time ago. It is easily my favorite game of the series. From the art design and character design, to the narrative, Mode Seven, the nostalgia this game brings for my childhood of the 90s, etc. I need to beat this game after I finish Shin Megami Tensei IV.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game doesn't want me to beat it.

My PSX disc froze near the Opera scene.

I have the SNES cart, which I bought for a steep price, and the SNES was carted away to where my brother lives.

I have the mobile port, and when I switched phones, I lost my data at the town where Slam Shuffle plays.

I want to beat it, I do. But it doesn't feel the same. It's an unrequited affection.

brainpann

I have the SNES cart, which I bought for a steep price, and the SNES was carted away to where my brother lives.

I have the mobile port, and when I switched phones, I lost my data at the town where Slam Shuffle plays.

I want to beat it, I do. But it doesn't feel the same. It's an unrequited affection.

Honestly, at this point Id just play it on an emu and use the Lete River trick to level up to something that makes the game just easy enough to get to one of the areas you last played. Maybe even use a speed up key just to blast through some stuff till then. Once you get to where you need to be, continue as normal.

Phil Fish

Banned
Daaaaamn the PSX version has anime cutscenes? That's fucking cool. I can't get into any version of FF6 except the GBA though. GBA OST is the most preferable for me.

FFVI playing hard to get.

Nephtes

Best Final Fantasy is best.

I love VII, but I dont think it holds a candle to VI.
The streampunk meets magic aesthetic is the winner in this contest.

My favorite part of FFVI is the huge cast of playable characters. There's something here for everyone.
Everyone who plays seems to have their own ideal team, and no two are alike...
Used to have fights in grammar school with my buddies about which characters were the best.

Of course all my friends were wrong...
The best team is:
Terra
Edgar
Sabin (dude suplexes trains, come on)
Mog

Trago

This game destroys so many other entries in this series it's not even funny. You can have FFVIIR, a remake of this game would be legendary.

Strongest story, cast, villain, and world in my opinion.

Also Celes>>>>>>>>Terra

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Just a general FYI, I'll be posting another little update sometime today after workstuffs. I didn't get very far, because I game way too slowly, but if we're havin' fun hittin' up this old gem, I'd love to keep at it. :D

I'd probably rank it my 4th favorite game of all time (the top 3 would also be FFs). The only other games i can think of that even come close are REmake and Metroid Prime 1...

I'm in Europe so I played it straight after 4 and 5 on an emulator originally and there was something about it I just didn't get from the other two... world, music, story, characters

What are your top Final Fantasies? I love comparing rankings with fellow diehards. For me, it's VII/X/Tactics, with VI and IX not far behind (despite my weird issues returning to VI until now).

I really like several others, though. IV, VIII, and XII are solid!

Haha, aw. Well, it's high time you got to it, methinks! I hope you dig FFVI as much as kid-me did. It's quite the game.

OP from your post it sounded like the Wii VC version of SNES FFIII (VI) was an option for you. Why wouldn't you go for that one instead? FFVI on PS1 was the reason y never beat that game until I got it on Wii around 2012. Those excruciating load times killed it for me back in 2001 when I tried FFVI for the first time. Jesus.

I'm really, really trying to replicate the experience I had all those years ago, and these FMVs and whatnot (as well as the awful load times) are very much a part of that experience. I can absolutely appreciate how for many players there's no excuse, nor rationale, for wanting to go through something like bad load times again, but for one reason or another I've failed to engage with this game over and over again since that initial playthrough and I'm legitimately nostalgic for all the tedium in this version. Somehow.

I know it sounds crazy. I wouldn't blame you for not gettin' it. But that's how it is. xD And I'll tell ya, I really do dig these FMVs, too. I know I can just look 'em up on YouTube, but for me -- for my flawed, slanted first exposure to VI -- they're part of the package.

I'm sure in the future I'll go with the more technically solid versions. But right now, this is how I'm rolling!

The PS1 version's sound is a bit off. Ruins the experience for me.

Wow, really? I had no idea. I guess I wouldn't, come to think of it, since this is the sound I remember. But I had no idea it wasn't accurate.

It makes Cyan's SwordTech ability useful, for one!)

That's fascinating. How's SwordTech altered?

I know of your love for gears OP as i share it and i want gears done next :)

"Xenogears: The Return" is definitely happening someday. :p We'd have a blast with it. I know we would. You, me, and several other GAFfers. There's actually a respectable number of Xenogears fanatics around these parts. It's one of the first things that compelled me to try for an account here a couple of years ago. I'd lurk, see Xenogears references and avatars, and want in on the fun.

This is so sad, Sol. D:

Favourite ff mainline game only beaten by ff tactics. Such a great cast, strong lead characters in celes and terra and a villain that might come off one note but feels great to hate. Terra was a great character in the way she was portrayed as a fragile character with resolve which is difficult for most developers without pushing a completely emotional train wreck or an emotionless warrior trope. Still hope we get some remaster.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
WRONG.
Terra is naturally a magic used.
Celes had to have her power stolen from carcasses of dead Espers.
Come on, it's no comparison.
Celes is a living weapon and a monster.

I don't want to "spoil" my own preferences in this game, but I think it's worth noting that for some, Celes' living weapon shindig is part of the charm! You're right about her character, and she's a hardened general to boot, and then something happens and her journey has her in an opera dress, and then on a ship talking philosophy with unlikely candidates, and then awakening on an island in the middle of a world gone mad. I think Celes is pretty fantastic. :D

I like Terra, too, though~!

Cryxo93

Banned
Is there a series on YouTube that is a definitive let's play? I've tried to get into this game several times to no avail. I'm wondering if there is someone really knowledgeable and goes into the lore heavily that I might get engaged.

Terra_Ex

Best FF game, alongside Tactics. I started the series with VII as many others did and after eventually working my way back to VI I was floored by how freaking great it was. There was so much detail and optional content buried away, especially in the World of Ruin and I just loved switching protagonists to get different parts of the story. I need to replay it again some day.

entremet

I play this a lot on Wii Virtual Console. I love the bugs.

The iOS/Android/Steam versions have great QoL improvements, but people go nuts about the new art.

The pixel art is way better, don't discount that version. It's much better for modern play.

Top Bottom