• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Final Fantasy VI

ethomaz

Banned
This game is just epic timeless.

It sums everything Square did right with JRPG in the past and that shows in how FFVII copied most of things from it.

It makes me sad to play FFXV remembering how good the series were... it just shows how messy SE is at the direction of new FFs.

BTW I love Locke and Terra... one of the best characters in FFs.

I love that picture of Sabin Suplexing the train. But why does he have hair on top of his shoulders...?

I cried when Cid died on my first original play through.

Pachimari

I started up Final Fantasy VI yesterday and I'm loving it so far! It's the steam version and modded slightly, but it's not the original pixel based art.

Should I play through the game with green-haired or blonde-haired Terra though?

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm wrapping up my playthrough on iOS now. Also first time playing the game. Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:
- couldn't be more convenient having it on the phone
- game is very stable and I can leave it running in the background if I need to stop playing for a bit or I'm in a dungeon where I can't save
- the menu/turn based combat feels very fast with a touchscreen. Once you learn where everything is it's very quick to navigate

Cons:
- Artstyle is bad. Really bad. Characters are overly colorful and cartoony in a distracting way, and the have portraits during dialogue that range from okay to eye damaging. Also as noted in discussion earlier FFVI's dark asthetics are a big part of its charm, and this version has a graphical style that clashes with this badly
- movement is done with a virtual dpad, but it feels awkward and goes away quickly if you take your finger off the screen. This results in a lot of tapping on the screen to get the dpad to reappear

Overall I give the port a C. It's very playable and convenient, but the bad visuals really make you question at what cost.

Side note: I don't know much about translations so someone else might have to offer perspective on this. The translation on iOS seems fine, but kind of goofy and slapsticky. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Noooo. That new art style destroys the game. Try to play it on the Wii virtual console, or an emulator.
Thanks guys. So the PSone classic on PSN should be fine?

Play the modded SNES version for the love of god

Steam version.... Makes me want to puke

If you want ill patch the rom myself and pm it to you

Does that break GAF rules?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Ehhh, it's the version I'm playing, but most folks will tell you to steer clear. I love the FMV opening cutscene (as well as the one you unlock after beating the game) and little stuff like that but the load times are what most consider unbearable. I think they're alright, actually -- I was expecting worse upon my return -- but I'm extremely lax about this stuff. There's a decent chance you'll hate 'em.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ehhh, it's the version I'm playing, but most folks will tell you to steer clear. I love the FMV opening cutscene (as well as the one you unlock after beating the game) and little stuff like that but the load times are what most consider unbearable. I think they're alright, actually -- I was expecting worse upon my return -- but I'm extremely lax about this stuff. There's a decent chance you'll hate 'em.
How may different versions are there anyway?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
If you think about it, it's the most bittersweet FF of all (well I have yet to finish XV).

But think about it, the world was devastated and brought to shit.

Even after you finish the game, there's hope to rebuild sure, but the damage is done.

The heroes did not win in this game, they failed and then did everything they could to set things right.

That was beautiful, human.

It was a bunch of people trying to do the right thing, there's humility to it.

That ending where they confront Kefka's nihilism and reaffirm life's resilience despite despair and destruction was great. And then at the end of the 26 minute conclusion where Terra letting loose her hair for the first time... man... I think I knew I had just finished something incredible, even back then as a kid.

Best versions in order

Modded SNES ( i posted link earlier to a good vanilla patch)

Vanilla SNES - Buggy but its the version most of us played in our youth anyways. Even in its original form it blew us away

GBA - great edition with bugfixes, script updates and extra content. Falls short in visuals and audio... Which is a big hit honestly

PS1 - also has bug fixes. Looks and sounds great and has those FMVs. Load times drag it down a bit

Steam/Mobile - trash... Please dont do this to yourself. Visually destroyed and doesnt fit the mature themenof the gamem sprites are flat like they are made of paper and marshmallows. Mixed and matched environments plus shit tier 3d models for towns for god knows why. Shall i keep going?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I was a pretty big fan of the skill mechanics but the story did absolutely nothing for me.

People try to say it is because I played it after the fact. Nah kid, right there on the SNES when it dropped.

Opera scene was nothing.

Solid game, I don't get the hype over the story at all.

I guess I'll see how things fare with me this time around! Sorry you didn't dig the story. Which FF games do resonate with you narratively, if any?

Your thread made me want toreplay this game again. I now realize how much I missed it (and missed a good jrpg in general). I am now playing showing it to my son and we`re having a great time. He renamed the Moogles : Googles and had a good laugh at their "Dance" move that caused a cave in ;)

Ha, glad to have helped. That's awesome that your son's playing with you. How old is he? It's always great seeing parents show their kids timeless games. One of my favorite things to read here on GAF.

If you think about it, it's the most bittersweet FF of all (well I have yet to finish XV).

But think about it, the world was devastated and brought to shit.

Even after you finish the game, there's hope to rebuild sure, but the damage is done.

The heroes did not win in this game, they failed and then did everything they could to set things right.

That was beautiful, human.

It was a bunch of people trying to do the right thing, there's humility to it.

I agree with you for the most part. The one thing that feels different to me is that I'd argue the heroes did win, to an extent; Kefka wanted nihilism to conquer hope completely, but hope springs eternal, and he failed. Wrecking the world and making its remnants his playground are two-thirds of a job damned well done, but thanks to the main cast, he loses his philosophical bent and gets offed before there's nothing left of that ray of hope Banon mentioned. :D

Whenever I see FFVI in a thread title, a very small part of me thinks a remake has been announced...

I love that picture of Sabin Suplexing the train. But why does he have hair on top of his shoulders...?

I cried when Cid died on my first original play through.

I don't know about the hair... I just do not know.

Ralemont

not me
I was a pretty big fan of the skill mechanics but the story did absolutely nothing for me.

People try to say it is because I played it after the fact. Nah kid, right there on the SNES when it dropped.

Opera scene was nothing.

I don't much care for the game in general. The Kefka twist is nice story-wise, but I don't really remember a lot else that happened.

Gameplay-wise I thought it was bad. It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the random battles every 3 goddamn steps. I also played on Vita so the load times didn't help mitigate the annoyance of those random battles.

AmyS

Here's some nice coverage of Final Fantasy VI from EGM

VgumIOi.jpg

AmO7ESt.jpg

wMN4Lmn.jpg
LAqgjll.jpg

iUpecWv.jpg
tU3jVKi.jpg
GkaRrfn.jpg

AoJPHGf.jpg

TriAceJP

I guess I'll see how things fare with me this time around! Sorry you didn't dig the story. Which FF games do resonate with you narratively, if any?

Hm, that is tough. I don't really play the Final Fantasy games for their stories (my favourite two being XII and V, both notorious for having barebone stories) but I did overall enjoy the story in IX.

Slythe

For what it's worth, I picked up the iOS version (bad art and all) because I found the load times on the PSN version to be that bad.

If I were doing it all over again I would do GBA or ROM

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Hm, that is tough. I don't really play the Final Fantasy games for their stories (my favourite two being XII and V, both notorious for having barebone stories) but I did overall enjoy the story in IX.

I think V and XII have somewhat underrated stories. XII's is pretty good except it has substantial issues in its back half, which, to be fair, is a huge deal and inevitably detracts from the experience. It's mainly that middle third that drags so hard narratively, but there's not quite as much forward momentum even after that as there ought to be. V... well, I don't know. That's another one I haven't touched in a while (not quite as long, though) but I like its adventure and it has a couple of poignant moments.

IX's a great pick. <3

Pachimari

This rocks. Thank you!

:( I'm still sorry, though.
All I read was that it has a bittersweet ending,
that the good guys don't really win, and that someone gets to confront Kefka.

I hope I haven't ruined it for myself. Well, enjoy your playthrough and I might get outta here while I am playing this for the firs time.

Yeah well, and that's pretty much the whole character development you're gonna get of him.
What I mean is that Sephirot has a whole exposition in the game while Kefka is pretty much evil the whole game with a little bit of information as an excuse.

The main good thing about Kefka is that he has some charm and he actually wins at some point.

Kefka was also an orphan who rose up the ranks and was somewhat a normal dude till he volunteered to be a magitek knight

He also has a close sibling like relationship to Celes thats hinted at but never fully fleshed out

This was made back when your imagination had to fill in a lot of stuff and they dropped subtle hints and tidbits here and there.

For as small as the script was this game was way ahead of its time. Dont hate bro

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Just want to say, Setzer with offering relic + Genji Glove + Fixed Dice + Doom Darts = the ultimate killing machine.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
All I read was that it has a bittersweet ending,
that the good guys don't really win, and that someone gets to confront Kefka.

I hope I haven't ruined it for myself. Well, enjoy your playthrough and I might get outta here while I am playing this for the firs time.

I don't think you've ruined it. c: Some of that stuff up there is open to interpretation to some extent, anyway. But yes, do scoot. And do play this game! :D

Sephiroth is so overrated, it's annoying.

He dies. Get stuck in some crater and mind rapes cloud.

Jenova is the main villain for most of 7.

LTTRTTP

Great OP!

Coincidently, right before FFXV released I also popped in my copy of FF3/6 and stopped at the same point after the Moogles.

Was also pleasantly surprised to see Xenogears creator's name in the opening credits.

royox

Seeing this, Locke hides up on a rafter (there's some nice use of sprites in this game's action, man) and then dives down and rescues her. He gives her the same verbal treatment he gave Terra, that he'll protect her no matter the cost. I reckon there's a lot of intrigue behind the guy's devotion to defending women for those who aren't yet privy to his past. I already know, and it's tragic. Celes is confused, but nabs the key from a sleeping soldier who wants for bread and soup. I hear you, sleeping soldier. I hear you.

It can be my memory fooling me...but didn't Celes say to Locke what Leia said to Luke when he rescued her? I've never seen star wars in english (sooorry :p) but it should be something like "Aren't you too short to be a StormTrooper"?

The only weakness this game has is Kefka - who's an incredibly one dimensional villain.

But that was the whole point of him. He was pretending to be retarded but plotted the whole "kill the emperor-get the warring triad power-become a god" thing.

Yeap there is no actual fact that shows Kefka not being "crazy" before the experiment.

There are gossips only.

I don't think there's any reason to not believe that NPC. I think Kefka wasn't insane before the experiment.

HOWEVER, what we really don't know is if he was a Leo kind of character (in which case the failed experiment would be very tragic), or if he was always an evil asshole even when he wasn't crazy, like Gestahl.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It can be my memory fooling me...but didn't Celes say to Locke what Leia said to Luke when he rescued her? I've never seen star wars in english (sooorry :p) but it should be something like "Aren't you too short to be a StormTrooper"?

So here's the thing!

I'm hosting this RTTP on another site, too. It's a GameFAQs social board I frequent. It's a cross-host... thing. And wouldn't you know it, my RL roommate quipped that I neglected to mention this line.

I, uh... I don't think I got it. <_> It must be linked to being dressed as the merchant or -- more likely -- the soldier. I made the "mistake" of swapping Locke's outfit back to his normal gear before approaching Celes' room when the game asked whether I wanted to do so.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Also FFVII is set in the same universe as FFX and the Shinra company is a distant legacy of the character Shinra from X-2 who came from another planet in a rocket. Multiple Ultimanias confirm this.
Ugh, wish X-2 would've stuck with taking a crap on X's story without getting some crap on VII as well.

I don't think there's any reason to not believe that NPC. I think Kefka wasn't insane before the experiment.

HOWEVER, what we really don't know is if he was a Leo kind of character (in which case the failed experiment would be very tragic), or if he was always an evil asshole even when he wasn't crazy, like Gestahl.

Well, wasn't Kefka technically a General?
Must have done something worth a damn to push up the ranks other than just be a lackey- at least that's what I believe.

I appreciate the open quality to the character. It allows the player's imagination to fill in some blanks if they want. :}

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Too many random battles, it just wasnt playable to me with the encounter rate set so ridiculously high. I wanted to explore but they discourage that immensly and penalize you just for walking.

Anustart

Opera scene was nothing.

Yeah i played it on release too. no clue why the opera scene is regarded as it is.

Top Bottom