• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Final Fantasy X

Kev Kev

I always loved it, but never had the opportunity to finish it. I have the ps3 version (and a deep regret of selling my international ver. for the ps2). Later in the weekend I will boot it again and see where I stopped playing. All I can remember is that I was stuck in a boss that I couldn't pass tru, not too late in the game. Will report here (taking advantage of Kev Kev Kev Kev thread, sorry) and see if someone can help me. But I can tell you thay I'm very happy with posts saying that grinding isn't really needed to finish the main story. I know it's kind of counterproductive when talking about jrpgs, but I hate grinding and haven't did it so much in the playthrough.
Yeah no worries man I hope you can figure it out, I’m loving this replay. And I totally understand the grinding thing. I’m such a dork about it, I don’t know why I enjoy it but I do. Just spent like two hours in kilika forest 😅 my guys are pretty beefed up now tho, and I found a few pieces a of armor that fiends dropped semi rarely. So it’s paying off a bit too. But I’m mostly a weirdo 😂
-For me Tidus has one of the best character progression in the entire series.
-I love the NPC dialogues not only because they often gave you items but they always reflect what is currently happening in Spira. I remember i loved going back to previous places i had visited just to see what the NPCs there had to say after major events.
-I'd suggest for the later Trials to use a guide.They are still perfectly doable on your own but they can get annoying and if i remember correctly you can find some very special items in hidden chests.
-Yes there are. Be sure to click on anything that catches your eye or when your character looks behind stuff.
Ok will do thanks for the heads up. I’m being mega critical in that first post 😂 but I’m pretty past all that and really enjoying it. I’m about to progress to the next trial I believe.

Im looking forward to seeing how Tidus’ char evolves. It’s cool bc I really can’t remember a lot about the finer points of the characters and their stories, so it feels new. The future tidus narrating the events of the game so like a much more grown up version of him.

And yes the dialogue is still top notch FF. Informative, fleshes things out but it’s also funny and adds life to the setting. Having to go through it an extra time or two is no problem. Glad to hear there are more hidden items. I love exploring and trying to find all the goods

Komatsu

Interestingly enough, some years ago I played thru the PC port of the game with the Japanese voices... and, I never I thought I would say this, but I kind prefer James Arnold Taylor as Tidus to his original seyuu Masakazu Morita? I don't know, there's a certain pathos in his voice in the quieter moments that Morita can't quite match.

Hedy Burress, though, who was great as Agrias in Final Fantasy Tactics, does not nail down Yuna at all.

marquimvfs

Interestingly enough, some years ago I played thru the PC port of the game with the Japanese voices... and, I never I thought I would say this, but I kind prefer James Arnold Taylor as Tidus to his original seyuu Masakazu Morita? I don't know, there's a certain pathos in his voice in the quieter moments that Morita can't quite match.

Hedy Burress, though, who was great as Agrias in Final Fantasy Tactics, does not nail down Yuna at all.

Pc port? It's the first time I hear about it. Tell me more, please...

Edit: Oh, you mean the remaster PC port, right?

Last edited:

Enzo88

I still liked the game and consider it pretty good, however it felt like the beginning of the decline for the saga.

Kev Kev

I still liked the game and consider it pretty good, however it felt like the beginning of the decline for the saga.
Yep, I hear this a lot and tend to agree with it. However I think XV, although flawed, breathed a little life back into the series, and VII Remake did a lot to show that Square still has some chops (don’t get me wrong I have big complaints about vii remake, check the OT for some of my whiny rants). So it’s not all gloom and doom.

that being said, I just don’t have faith in Square anymore. If they surprise me in the future, great! Hell, Capcom was able to turn things back around recently, so perhaps there is hope.

For now, I’m just going to enjoy X and hopefully XVI surprises us all and really blows our tits off.

Kev Kev

UPDATE 2

KILIKA

-bought one of each weapons in Kilika, no idea if that’s a good idea or not but I just came from FFIX so 😅

-doing some grinding in that first forest area and loving that I can just heal up in between battles using the save point. No more tents!

-so far this battle system is the shit. It’s very transparent and feels liberating.

-turned off the mini map for a while. I felt it was distracting. Might turn it on back in n to double check areas

-switching back and forth from the old to new music in kilika woods, I feel like the new arrangement is far superior to the old. The old is still great, but the new just has this lush, dream like quality to it. Great music in this game ❤️

-Lmao they made lulus huge titties jiggly

-I’m picking up various armor for random encounters. That’s pretty cool. I’m assuming you can pick this stuff up elsewhere, but still, kind of a nice extra reward.

-grinded my characters up to the point where I just need more ability shperes. Gotta find more tho, not sure how to farm them

-missed a couple items in the temple it seems. Looks like I can go back later so no big deal. However, it is annoying how they don’t explain much about how to solve these puzzles. They aren’t even very intuitive 😕 I remember them being fun before. I literally had to look up how to solve it, and apparently I needed to “touch” the glyph, but gave me zero tutorial or indication or cue for it. Weird...

-okay, off to the next area (not sure where? Blitzball tournament?!)

Last edited:

Enzo88

Yep, I hear this a lot and tend to agree with it. However I think XV, although flawed, breathed a little life back into the series, and VII Remake did a lot to show that Square still has some chops (don’t get me wrong I have big complaints about vii remake, check the OT for some of my whiny rants). So it’s not all gloom and doom.

that being said, I just don’t have faith in Square anymore. If they surprise me in the future, great! Hell, Capcom was able to turn things back around recently, so perhaps there is hope.

For now, I’m just going to enjoy X and hopefully XVI surprises us all and really blows our tits off.
Oh yeah, the saga is getting back on track for me as well.
15 has flaws but has some heart and solid ideas, it just needed more time but they could not afford it after so many delays and restarting the project.

7 remake i just loved honestly, probably my favorite game this year.

marquimvfs

Just booted the ps3. The stupid boss i couldn't beat is the machina that kidnapped Yuna in moonflow. Will play the battle again and see if I can win it.

Edit: I just beat it. It was way easier than I remembered.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Is it just me getting older and my reflexes being rusty or are the overdrives in the PS4 version more harder to get them right (like Auron's and Tidus) than in the PS2 version?

I remember they were a cakewalk and i almost aways got them right even the later ones which were suppossedly more harder but with the remaster on PS4 holy crap even the first ones early in the game are hard to pull lol!!

marquimvfs

Is it just me getting older and my reflexes being rusty or are the overdrives in the PS4 version more harder to get them right (like Auron's and Tidus) than in the PS2 version?

I remember they were a cakewalk and i almost aways got them right even the later ones which were suppossedly more harder but with the remaster on PS4 holy crap even the first ones early in the game are hard to pull lol!!
I felt the same. They are harder than before.

sublimit

Banned
I felt the same. They are harder than before.
I googled it and found a GameFAQs thread where someone said that it's either due to input lag being worse in modern tvs than CRTs or due to the games being upgraded to higher framerates. I have a feeling that at least in the case of Tidus overdrive the censor is moving much faster than it did in the PS2 version.

I wonder if this will make other challenges like the lightning dodges and the chocobo races harder or easier than the original.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

UPDATE 3

LUCA

-the boat ride over was cool. Some hidden stuff to find, lots of conversations to engage and some story today bits fleshed out.

-Jecht challenge was a little weird. Didn’t get it timed right and Tidus kicks the ball away like a bitch 😂 Not sure why it doesn’t give multiple tries at that, or try to make a fun mini game out of it. Seems like a missed opportunity.

-the blitzball tutorial was simple and easy to understand. Been a while since I played this game, but I remember really liking blitzball. Not sure what it is people don’t like about it. More on this after I come back for blitzball stuff later in the game...

-I like that weapon/armor shops compares to my equipped weapon, but I miss being able to see if I already have that item in my inventory . Gotta move over to sell and find it first, which is a pain because they organize the weapons by how strong they are 🤨 seems like they should just be categorized by type. Oh well...

-that reminds me, is it okay to sell items in this game? I’m just coming from FFIX where I never sell anything because of synthesis.

-I found 7 al bhed primers so far! I remember having trouble collecting these before. I think the HD graphics are actually helping me see them laying on the ground and stuff

-I don’t remember The movie and music sphere from before. Is that new?

-this game seems to have a thing for thongs, on women AND men lol (literally one of these crusaders has a leather cod piece for armor, but it’s a thonger on the back side 🤣). Leather thong armor, to each their own I suppose!

-the game doesn’t let me know where the next cut scene will be triggered, or really give any context clues. And that would be fine, except that it progresses the game forward sometimes when I don’t want it to

-man what a disaster that first blitzball game is. No wonder everyone hates it. They put you up against a team that’s way better than for your very first match, give you zero exhibition matches or full practice games to warm up, and only give you one shot at it 🤦‍♂️come ooonnn square. I’m looking forward to leveling up my blitzball players and playing some more though. I remember really enjoying it after I got some of my team leveled up. But yeah... they were very successful in completely turning off the player to the blitzball mini game with that set up. Way to go guys 🤣

-Yes, Auron time! Love his theme music

-made it through the infamous laughing scene without cringing too hard 😬 lol nah jk it’s not so bad. I see the point it’s trying to make, in a broader sense of the story. I’m having a much different perspective on this now that I’m older. Tidus is very childish, he’s caught in this weird place in life where he trying to grow up and learning a lot about himself and how to act. Things I’ve already been through, and am still going through in a lot of ways. It’s been like that with a lot of my replays. FFVIII was mind blowing playing as an adult, probably one of my favorite stories in FF

-doing some grinding on that road right when you leave Luca. Discovered I can pick up ability spheres from one of the fiends here, and Wakka now has a skill that makes an enemy drop ability spheres 💪 should be owning everything after how leveled up my crew is going to be

-Overdrive Modes is a cool option to have. I don’t know if I utilized that much my first go around

-the battle system is so good and so much fun. I love being able to take my time and strategize, but also feel like I can move through it fluidly. They did a really good job on it.

-I’m trying to Lancet everything w Kimahri, but so far only found a few abilities. He’s a pretty boss char so far tho, I guess he starts to suck later on...?

Next is the road to Djose...

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
-Jecht challenge was a little weird. Didn’t get it timed right and Tidus kicks the ball away like a bitch 😂 Not sure why it doesn’t give multiple tries at that, or try to make a fun mini game out of it. Seems like a missed opportunity.

I think you have the chance to get the Jecht Shot again in the game if i remember correctly.You may have it to google it.
Personally i failed the first time but i loaded the game again and got it right the second time. Too bad i had to go through all the dialogues again (the skipping dialogue option sucks).

-I like that weapon/armor shops compares to my equipped weapon, but I miss being able to see if I already have that item in my inventory . Gotta move over to sell and find it first, which is a pain because they organize the weapons by how strong they are 🤨 seems like they should just be categorized by type. Oh well...

Yeah this bugs me too.

-that reminds me, is it okay to sell items in this game? I’m just coming from FFIX where I never sell anything because of synthesis.
Yeah feel free to sell anything you don't need. I'd advise you to keep weapons and armors though that have certain elemental abilities or protection since they can prove useful for certain enemies and areas.Unless of course you have two of the same equipment.

-I don’t remember The movie and music sphere from before. Is that new?
It was in the original as well.

-man what a disaster that first blitzball game is. No wonder everyone hates it. They put you up against a team that’s way better than for your very first match, give you zero exhibition matches or full practice games to warm up, and only give you one shot at it 🤦‍♂️come ooonnn square. I’m looking forward to leveling up my blitzball players and playing some more though. I remember really enjoying it after I got some of my team leveled up. But yeah... they were very successful in completely turning off the player to the blitzball mini game with that set up. Way to go guys 🤣

I remember i was under the same impression the first time i had played the game and that matchwas such a disaster that it made me to not want to touch Blitzball in my first playthrough.However in my second and especially in my third playthrough i remember i had won it quite easily.
Yesterday i arrived at Luca and i was almost sure that i was going to loose that match because even if i had mastered Blitzball in the past that was 15 years ago and i remembered almost nothing. I payed close attention to the tutorial and hoped for the best.
At first i started with autoplay and soon realized that autoplay sucks big time. I think this is why this match seems so hard to a lot of people and this is probably why it was also hard for me the first time i played the game.
The game "scares" you in the tutorial by saying that "manual play is for veteran players" but that is bullshit.The game is actually very simple even for people who are completely new as long as the payed close attention to the tutorials.
The very moment i switched from auto to manual i managed to score a goal with Tidus even without being able to equip the Jecht shot (in order to be able to equip certain abilities the players must be level 3 and up).However soon after that the Goers also scored and the score at halftime was 1-1. After the first half Tidus leveled up so i was able to equip Jecht Shot. Jecht Shot helps tremendously but i don't think it's necessary to win the game.In any case i managed to score 2 more goals before Tidus left in order to be replaced by Wakka.One goal was from Tidus (with a Jecht shot) and the other by another player which surprised me since i don't think i had ever been able to score in this match by someone else than Tidus and Wakka. Then Wakka came in and i managed to score another one him. Final score was 1-4! I don't think i had ever been able to beat them so hard lol. :D
But again to anyone that plans to play Blitzball please turn-off autoplay because the AI is super dumb when they are in offense and if the stats are worse than the other team (like in the Goers match) you are almost 100% going to loose!

-made it through the infamous laughing scene without cringing too hard 😬 lol nah jk it’s not so bad. I see the point it’s trying to make, in a broader sense of the story. I’m having a much different perspective on this now that I’m older. Tidus is very childish, he’s caught in this weird place in life where he trying to grow up and learning a lot about himself and how to act. Things I’ve already been through, and am still going through in a lot of ways. It’s been like that with a lot of my replays. FFVIII was mind blowing playing as an adult, probably one of my favorite stories in FF
Yeah that scene is one of the most missunderstood in the history of video games. Probably because a lot of the people were too young when they first played it and didn't understood the context of that scene.

-the battle system is so good and so much fun. I love being able to take my time and strategize, but also feel like I can move through it fluidly. They did a really good job on it.
Yup i also love it so much. It still is by far the best battle system in any FF game. Easy to learn,hard to master. So simple and yet it has so much strategy depth that makes even the most easy battles feel satisfying when you beat monsters without even taking a hit.

I'm currently also at the Mi'ihen highroad (for some reason one of my favorite areas in the game) so i think we'll more or less journey "together" in the game. :p

Kev Kev

sublimit sublimit oh that’s awesome! You’re probably going to pull ahead at some point tho bc I tend to drag ass 😂

mans I thought about reloading for the Jecht shot but decided against. I’ll be prepared to reload my save in the next try.

and I hear ya on avoiding auto for blitzball. I actually decided to go back and play a few rounds before moving on. Gonna turn off auto and try it that way. I was one of the scared players lol.

Kev Kev

UPDATE 4

BLITZBALL

-Decided to play a few matches if Blitzball before move on.

-so after a few exhibitions, it appears each team has certain attributes that are higher than others. Al bhed have a goalie that has a high catch, and in general there other players have decent stats, but I couldn’t get any shots past the goalie even when I got close. Rondos have super high endurance so they can break through three or 4 of my weak players no problem, and guados can pass and shoot from far away. Little things like that. The guados seem to be the easiest opponent however

-the problem is every team is so much higher level than me, that I have little chance of winning without leveling up my team first. So I’m going to play a few rounds, probably lose, level up, and then try to win a few before moving on.

-sticking to manual is the way to go. Auto has your ball carrier swimming in circles like an idiot.

-lol my keeper has hilariously low catch 😂 no wonder he can’t block shit. Man they really stacked the odds against you for this... like, I know the aurochs are supposed to be bad, but it really ruins the mini game to make it so punishing right off the bat. Ok, sorry I’m done whining about that...

-ok just discovered that the other teams level up w you 😂 so my strategy of out leveling them may not work.

-the tournament option is weird. Sometimes I can pick it, other times it’s grated out. And no explanation as to why. What gives square?

-oh and it seems even the teams you weren’t playing against also level up. Wtf, so what’s the point? Every time I level up my players every other team also levels up with me, so I’m just perpetually going to be the worse team, no matter what!? Ho man this is not going as well as I thought it would 🤣. Might have to rethink my position in liking blitzball...

-OH SHIT i scored a goal using sphere shot against 3 blockers. That RNG helped me out a lot! Might win this one...

-annnnnd they immediately score one in me lol

-why is my defense just hanging out on the other side of the field? It’s like, no, the ball is not over there dummy’s

-tidus sphere shot scored again!

-ok so I still lost 3-2 against the ronsos, but that’s an improvement! Hoping I play the guados next

-one of my guys is somehow still level 1 😑 everyone else is 3 or 4. No idea how or why that’s happening but it’s not very coo’

-my defense is aawwwwful. They just let the other team get close and score. Jesus what a disaster.

-and I lost to the easiest team.... that’s enough blitzball for today

Maaaannnnn what a bummer. They just set you up for failure in every way. I tried everything and just kept getting my ass handed to me. No wonder everyone hates blitzball. Like, at least if I could level up I’d have a chance, but all the other teams level up with yours, so it doesn’t matter!

Well, I’ll give another go down the road. Ok now I’m for real off to Mi’ihen high road. Gotta wash the taste of blitzball out of my mouth with the blood of some fiiiieeeeends

sublimit

Banned
UPDATE 4

BLITZBALL

-Decided to play a few matches if Blitzball before move on.

-so after a few exhibitions, it appears each team has certain attributes that are higher than others. Al bhed have a goalie that has a high catch, and in general there other players have decent stats, but I couldn’t get any shots past the goalie even when I got close. Rondos have super high endurance so they can break through three or 4 of my weak players no problem, and guados can pass and shoot from far away. Little things like that. The guados seem to be the easiest opponent however

-the problem is every team is so much higher level than me, that I have little chance of winning without leveling up my team first. So I’m going to play a few rounds, probably lose, level up, and then try to win a few before moving on.

-sticking to manual is the way to go. Auto has your ball carrier swimming in circles like an idiot.

-lol my keeper has hilariously low catch 😂 no wonder he can’t block shit. Man they really stacked the odds against you for this... like, I know the aurochs are supposed to be bad, but it really ruins the mini game to make it so punishing right off the bat. Ok, sorry I’m done whining about that...

-ok just discovered that the other teams level up w you 😂 so my strategy of out leveling them may not work.

-the tournament option is weird. Sometimes I can pick it, other times it’s grated out. And no explanation as to why. What gives square?

-oh and it seems even the teams you weren’t playing against also level up. Wtf, so what’s the point? Every time I level up my players every other team also levels up with me, so I’m just perpetually going to be the worse team, no matter what!? Ho man this is not going as well as I thought it would 🤣. Might have to rethink my position in liking blitzball...

-OH SHIT i scored a goal using sphere shot against 3 blockers. That RNG helped me out a lot! Might win this one...

-annnnnd they immediately score one in me lol

-why is my defense just hanging out on the other side of the field? It’s like, no, the ball is not over there dummy’s

-tidus sphere shot scored again!

-ok so I still lost 3-2 against the ronsos, but that’s an improvement! Hoping I play the guados next

-one of my guys is somehow still level 1 😑 everyone else is 3 or 4. No idea how or why that’s happening but it’s not very coo’

-my defense is aawwwwful. They just let the other team get close and score. Jesus what a disaster.

-and I lost to the easiest team.... that’s enough blitzball for today

Maaaannnnn what a bummer. They just set you up for failure in every way. I tried everything and just kept getting my ass handed to me. No wonder everyone hates blitzball. Like, at least if I could level up I’d have a chance, but all the other teams level up with yours, so it doesn’t matter!

Well, I’ll give another go down the road. Ok now I’m for real off to Mi’ihen high road. Gotta wash the taste of blitzball out of my mouth with the blood of some fiiiieeeeends
Be sure to recruit other NPCs you find into your team.Early on this helps a lot and i think almost everyone is better than what you initially have. Even try to backtrack a bit. If i remember correctly there are some good players that you can hire early on in the game back in Kilika.
Also keep an eye out to try to copy the techniques of opponents.

marquimvfs

I played it a lot yesterday and today. Somehow I managed to reach the Seymour battle. I wasn't leveling up the characters until I struggle to beat the Al Bhed machina that tries to kidnap Yuna (Again). Just by walking outside the Inn and fighting about 5 times with minor foes using Yuna, Tidus and Rikku were more than enough to warrant an easy win. Now I will focus on winning Seymour. I just died a stupid death after beating anima. Will thought about the best strategy using what I saw in the first try.

Edit: I missed the butterfly catch sidequest. Somehow I couldn't catch the first and then just gave up. What did I lost by not completing the minigame?

Last edited:
I was never bothered by Final Fantasy X being more linear than previous entries simply because everything about the game was really good. It's my second favorite Final Fantasy after Final Fantasy IX with a lot of great story moments, memorable characters, beautiful music, and a unique and interesting world. The sphere grid also makes leveling up a lot of fun. I don't think this game gets enough praise among Final Fantasy fans.

sublimit

Banned
I played it a lot yesterday and today. Somehow I managed to reach the Seymour battle. I wasn't leveling up the characters until I struggle to beat the Al Bhed machina that tries to kidnap Yuna (Again). Just by walking outside the Inn and fighting about 5 times with minor foes using Yuna, Tidus and Rikku were more than enough to warrant an easy win. Now I will focus on winning Seymour. I just died a stupid death after beating anima. Will thought about the best strategy using what I saw in the first try.

Edit: I missed the butterfly catch sidequest. Somehow I couldn't catch the first and then just gave up. What did I lost by not completing the minigame?
That first encounter with Seymour felt very hard for me the first time i played the game.It almost made me quit the game since back then there was no internet and i didn't had a guide. It's a tricky one so don't get dissapointed it if you loose again.

The butterfly mini game is for getting Khimari's sigil and celestial weapon.

marquimvfs

That first encounter with Seymour felt very hard for me the first time i played the game.It almost made me quit the game since back then there was no internet and i didn't had a guide. It's a tricky one so don't get dissapointed it if you loose again.

The butterfly mini game is for getting Khimari's sigil and celestial weapon.
I've lost 3 battles so far. Everytime I've managed to beat Anima and Seymour was with about 2500HP. It's not frustrating because I Know that it's a matter os strategy, I "feel" that I can beat him. That didn't happened in the others bosses where I got stuck, they always felt like Mario Kart 64 rubber banding for me. I only managed to beam them after evolving my party a little.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I'm currently at Mushroom Rock road.Man i love this game so much. I can't believe how much i missed Spira's world and that God-tier combat system.

It's also such a beautiful game and another proof that good art direction is timeless. Art>graphics.

Yesterday i played my first league match. I played against the Goers again but this time it felt a bit harder than the first match. I made a stupid mistake and they instantly punished me with a goal. Still i managed to win 2-3.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

It is my least favourite of the classic Final Fantasy games. This was the moment they split from convention a lot while retaining bits. Never bought into the story too much. Never liked Tidus or Yuna and even the soundtrack failed to grip me which is normally a big plus for a FF game. The more I look back the more I feel I really aren't keen on it!

That said, enjoy OP - it does have some positives to it! I just can't remember them at the moment.

sublimit

Banned
Currently at Thunder plains. I lost my first Spira League. Now i'm playing again. First match was against the Kilika Beasts. Man they suck haha. I won 5-0.The best team so far is the Al Bhed Psyches. First time i played against them didn't even managed to score a single goal. :p I'm curious how it will go the second time around.

Btw dodging lightning is significantly harder in this version than it was in the PS2. So far i haven't been able to dodge a single one.:messenger_persevering:

Kev Kev

Btw dodging lightning is significantly harder in this version than it was in the PS2. So far i haven't been able to dodge a single one.
dammnit, i did not want to hear that. why is the dodging lightning part important again? what do you get for it?

sublimit

Banned
dammnit, i did not want to hear that. why is the dodging lightning part important again? what do you get for it?
Actually scratch that.Right after i wrote my previous post i managed to dodge a few.Maybe i'm just rusty afterall. :pie_thinking:

It's for an optional quest. You'll need to dodge 200 consecutive ones later in the game in order to get Lulu's sigil for her celestial weapon.

Ixion

Dodging the 200 lightning bolts is really easy as long as you do two things:

1. Have a "No Encounters" item equipped (which you probably won't get until later in the game).
2. Use a certain spot in the Thunder Plains that causes lightning to strike as soon as you walk into it. This lets you do the mini-game on your own terms in a steady pattern, and you can do it quickly.

Here is a video that shows what I'm talking about:

As long as you do the above, it's a pretty quick and painless mini-game.

Nico_D

I rebought this too from the sale. My first try few years made me quit at Mi'ihan road when a dual horn somehow always got three first strikes and somehow killed all my team members.

Maybe it was a bug as I now breezed through the chapter without trouble.

Really like the game.

sublimit

Banned
Dodging the 200 lightning bolts is really easy as long as you do two things:

1. Have a "No Encounters" item equipped (which you probably won't get until later in the game).
2. Use a certain spot in the Thunder Plains that causes lightning to strike as soon as you walk into it. This lets you do the mini-game on your own terms in a steady pattern, and you can do it quickly.

Here is a video that shows what I'm talking about:

As long as you do the above, it's a pretty quick and painless mini-game.

Yeah this is the best strategy. Still something feels harder to get the timing of the dodging right when compared to the PS2 version. I did some practice out of curiosity and although i improved i still got hit more times than i dodged. But i need to boot my PS2 version and compare them in order to be sure if there's a difference.

What i am sure though is that i have a much much harder time getting Tidus overdrive right than with the PS2. For the ife of me i can't time it right and the only times i'm being successful is through pure luck. Today i will try using a brand new controller just in case there's something wrong with my controller. But i have a feeling that the censor is moving much faster in this remaster.

In other news i just reached the desert area (Bikanel island). Surprisingly i seem to remember a lot so far like hidden chests or boss strategies even if the last time i played the game was 15 years ago.Seymour battle went down surprisingly smoothly.

I'm continuing with the Blitzball league championship.In one of my previous posts i mistakenly thought that it was over (i confused the league with tournament which only has 3 matches) so i'm still fighting for the first place.Currently i'm second place and the Al Bhed first. I don't think i'll manage to win the championship though. The Al Bhed team is seriously OP. The only new player i managed to recruit so far was a Guado as a goalkeeper who is much better than the trash that Keepa was.

Kev Kev

UPDATE 5

MI’IHEN HIGHROAD

-went back to try to find oaka but apparently he has already left. Hopefully I see him again down the road soon. I’m not even sure what you get for that, but I am giving them money anyway LOL. I’m a sucker!

-there’s a couple NPC‘s that look a lot like Biggs from final fantasy 7 remake. Or I guess I should say Biggs looks like these guys.

-just discovered I can collect multiple ability spheres per battle using Wakka ability extract!!! Woo! wasn’t sure I was gonna be able to do that. Once again another reason why I’m loving the simplicity of battle and it’s mechanics in this game

-got the echo ring from belgemine for defeating her ifrit. I had an overdrive loaded up on my Valefor. Hit him with that, and one more blizzard cast finished the job. Wanna say I remember having trouble with her before. She seems like an interesting character.

-I love that it remembers my cursor from the previous battle, not just from the battle I’m already in. Great choice square 👍 makes the most sense when you’re on the road since you’ll be facing mostly the same enemies

-not Yuba’s hands are hideous 😂 totally random but I just saw her put them up to her mouth and I was like “HO MAN WTF!?” lol

-just unlocked lv 1 key spheres. Guess I will have to decide what I want my char’s to be. Anyone have any good advice on this? I’m planning on collecting as many abilities with thin there starting areas, then having each char branch out the an adjacent char’s grid and also collect some if their abilities. The idea being that if they can acquire some abilities that aren’t “native” to their char, then I’ll have a balanced team when certain team mates are unavailable. So for instance, if I don’t have access to Lulu, I could have Kimarhi learn some elemental magic so he can use it in her place. Not sure if that’s the best strategy or even viable, but that’s what I got so far. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

-defeated that chocobo eating monster. I seem to remember being pushed off the cliff before. Luckily this time I nailed him with a couple of ifrits hellfires. Took him out in a couple minutes 💪

-Chocobos! I don’t even remember riding them that much from before.

-The new music arrangement is superior once again. I’m not even worried about comparing the old arrangements anymore. The new ones are just so much better. Well done square and Nobuo the man Uematsu (I don’t know if he had a hand in the new arrangements, but I can’t imagine he didn’t... either way he set the tone for all music in FF imo, every composer/arranger after him are just adding footnotes and annotations to his amazing work).

That’s it for now. Short-ish update this morning. Not sure I’m even done with the high road just yet. I’m really crawling through this, but I’m enjoying the crap out of it! I’ll do another later today probably.

sublimit

Banned
-just unlocked lv 1 key spheres. Guess I will have to decide what I want my char’s to be. Anyone have any good advice on this? I’m planning on collecting as many abilities with thin there starting areas, then having each char branch out the an adjacent char’s grid and also collect some if their abilities. The idea being that if they can acquire some abilities that aren’t “native” to their char, then I’ll have a balanced team when certain team mates are unavailable. So for instance, if I don’t have access to Lulu, I could have Kimarhi learn some elemental magic so he can use it in her place. Not sure if that’s the best strategy or even viable, but that’s what I got so far. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!
Which Sphere Grid mode are you using?
If you are using the normal one (which is the best one) i'd suggest for the time being unlocking Lvl1 or LvL2 spheres as you go along. Do not use your AP to return to previous nodes it's not worth it. For now let every character continue down on his/her own path. Later when you get Return Spheres you will be able to return to previous nodes in order to unlock Lvl1-4 spheres.

Kev Kev

Which Sphere Grid mode are you using?
If you are using the normal one (which is the best one) i'd suggest for the time being unlocking Lvl1 or LvL2 spheres as you go along. Do not use your AP to return to previous nodes it's not worth it. For now let every character continue down on his/her own path. Later when you get Return Spheres you will be able to return to previous nodes in order to unlock Lvl1-4 spheres.
yeah just the default one. ok im glad you said that bc i considered going back :messenger_tears_of_joy: , and i didnt know return spheres were a thing. awesome, thanks!

Ixion

The new music arrangement is superior once again. I’m not even worried about comparing the old arrangements anymore. The new ones are just so much better. Well done square and Nobuo the man Uematsu (I don’t know if he had a hand in the new arrangements, but I can’t imagine he didn’t... either way he set the tone for all music in FF imo, every composer/arranger after him are just adding footnotes and annotations to his amazing work).

The re-arrangements were done by Masashi Hamauzu. I agree that he did a damn good job. I'd say most of the songs are better now except for maybe a couple, and that's saying something considering how good the original soundtrack is.

He was one of the original three composers on FFX and he was also the one who mostly handled the re-arrangements in FF7 Remake. He also composed all the music for FF13, which is one of the few things I like about that game...

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
-defeated that chocobo eating monster. I seem to remember being pushed off the cliff before. Luckily this time I nailed him with a couple of ifrits hellfires. Took him out in a couple minutes 💪
If I remember correctly, you get a better reward if you just push it off the cliff xdd But yeah defeating it is a good signal of trained chatracters, so good job!

sublimit

Banned
So i did a test today. I booted my PS2 version on a PS2 that is hooked on a (good) Philips CRT tv.

First i tried to compare Tidus Spiral Cut overdrive with how fast the sensor runs on the PS4 version. Surprisingly i think it's just as fast as the PS4 one and i sucked with the PS2 version as well! :messenger_grinning_smiling: This is indeed very surprising because the last time i played the PS2 version i could get them right even with closed eyes. I guess i got older and rusty so i need to git gud again.

Secondly i went to the Thunder Plains to test and compare the lightning dodging. I thought it will be just as hard as the PS4 version seems to be but oh boy how wrong i was! Lightning dodging in the PS2 version is MUCH more easier than in the PS4 version. I dodged at least 20 consequtive ones when in the PS4 i could barely get 3 consequtive ones.
I really don't know why is that. Could it be they changed the code with the PS4 version because they thought it was too easy in the PS2 (lol)? Tidus of course moves slower in the PS2 version so maybe that helps? I don't know.

Anyway in other news i reached Calm Lands yesterday.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Lightning dodging in the PS2 version is MUCH more easier than in the PS4 version.
AccurateMediocreGordonsetter-small.gif

sublimit

Banned
Won my first League championship yesterday. I was second place and the Al Bhed were first just before the last match but they lost by the Kilika Beasts ,the worst team in the League! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The rewards were nice (especially Three Stars) but i thought i was going to get one of Wakka's overdrives but apparently i was mistaken. Those we get from the Tournaments.

Now trying to do some sidequests in Calm Lands and Macalania.

marquimvfs

Tried to play a little bit more today. Faced Seymour about 3 times more and failed. Decided to do some grinding and got addicted to it! I've spent the whole afternoon just fighting random enemies and upgrading the characters.

sublimit

Banned
Tried to play a little bit more today. Faced Seymour about 3 times more and failed. Decided to do some grinding and got addicted to it! I've spent the whole afternoon just fighting random enemies and upgrading the characters.
What troubles you the most in that battle? I can give you a tip if you want (without spoiling anything of course).

marquimvfs

What troubles you the most in that battle? I can give you a tip if you want (without spoiling anything of course).
I think it's, maybe, my low HP. I've reached what I think it's a great strategy. But when Anima it's down, my crew don't last long with double attacks by Seymour. Will try later with my crew boosted and will post the results here.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

UPDATE 6

MUSHROOM ROCK

(ok so this is another very complainy update. I really was just in a bad mood when I wrote this, I’m only seeing it now the next morning. I’m going to post it anyway. But I really am loving it, I just need to make an effort to post the positives and not focus so much on the negatives. So, my apologies, bare with me here...)

-I’m missing some of these chests I can see down below, on a lower pathway it seems. I saw a couple shortly after the rest stop where I got the Chocobo, but seemingly no way to get down there. Now seeing more as I approach sin. Hopefully I can go back?

-Random encounters are very frequent! I usually don’t complain about that but man, they are getting kind of annoying lol. Oh well, I’d rather my party be over powered than average or under.

-not gonna lie, I kind of wish they didn’t have nearly every NPC giving me some kind of item just for talking to them. I would walk up and talk to them anyways, as long as the things they had to say kept me interested. This seems like the game is forcing you to talk or risk missing out on some good items (I got a tough bangle earlier for example). Plus, it’s just coming off as uninspired and very “same-y” if that makes sense. No big deal, just another small gripe. I much prefer well hidden chests or a peculiar looking object that I can search.

-they really ramped up invisible walls with this game. They existed before, no doubt, but they feel more frequent and noticeable in FFX. Maybe there is a good reason for it, but it doesn’t make me hate them any less. I wish every developer would take the time to minimize, or completely remove, invisible walls in games. Kind of a pet peeve of mine, I suppose.

-Gil is a bit hard to come by. Not sure how much I’m getting from battles, but I never seem to have enough for weapons. I hate passing up that kind of stuff bc I have no idea if it’s my only chance to pick them up. Guess I’ll have to do a bit more grinding (I don’t mind at all tho, I love grinding!)

-not sure what it is, but the dialogue in this game just isn’t as funny or “charming” as the FFs that came before. I remember laughing so much playing though FFIX. There were so many quirky and humorous situations. This one just seems... dry, and a bit lifeless. I tend to blame a lot on VA’s and the fact that it’s not me using my imagination anymore. Or maybe the writers just weren’t as talented 🤷‍♂️ either way something just feels amiss.

-story wise, I never picked up in the idea that the maesters wanted this massacre to happen. They wanted the crusaders and al bhed operation to fail, in order to turn the people back to the teachings of Yevon. At least that’s the hint I’m picking up. And when I entered the djose temple, auron says something snarky about maester braska, again hinting at there being more to these maesters than just being holy priests. It’s really fun experiencing this story again as I don’t remember it. Again, as an adult I’m picking up themes that I just didn’t notice before. Verrrrry interesting 🤔

-also... lightning! Must mean ramuh is the aeon I’m getting... possibly Odin? We’ll see here soon...

-Ixion! Ixion Ixion Aha! So it’s you! Lol didn’t you mention this earlier in the thread? I can’t remember. I considered changing his name to “Sonofabitch” in your honor 😂 jk jk! Cool, welcome aboard, glad to have your spirit aeon along the journey 😊

Man very negative updates 😬 I really got to stop doing this. I think I was just in a bad mood. I feel mostly positive about the game, I guess I just let my emotions get the best of me and tend to only jot down the negatives. It’s not even enjoyable to read lol. Ok I’m going to try and keep it more positive bc I really am loving the game.
Apparently I missed some items (checked a guide for the trial), so I’m going to at least follow an Alex guide on GameFAQs for item list in each area. That way I can at least know what is available.

Back on the road!

Last edited:

Kev Kev

UPDATE 7

MOONFLOW

-so I went back and got one of the al bhed primer I missed, but it appears IX and X are too far back. Hopefully I will be able to recover them later in the game

-gonna take a chance to praise the battle system again. The quickness of it and different camera angles really keeps things exciting. I love that doing a summon just feels like another regular move. I use them all the time! Love it.

-Another thing, I love that spells/skills/abilities are so useful. I find myself using nulblaze, sleep attack and more quite often. In other FFs like ffvii remake the battle goes by so fast I never had to use status ailment items and would always just sell them. It was a shame because it felt like the strategy was sucked out of them game. Not in FFX tho. Taking turns is fantastic and I wish that FF would get back to more turn based and less live action.

-Racked up some lvl 1 spheres, hoping to get more though.

-was the ps2 easy to develop for? Or perhaps the ps4 version was touched up? Bc this game feels solid. You can tell they really polished it. Maybe we are just used to games being shipped half finished these days. But man, it just feels rock solid like they did exactly what they wanted and worked out any and every kink they had time for. I still have complaints of course lol, but something about this game screams polished af.

-man, the crusaders are really down and out. Seems the maesters have managed to do what I think they are trying to do, if my suspicions are correct 🤔 we’ll find out soon enough!

-Shelinda seems to be especially indoctrinated into the yevon “religion”. I can’t remember how the story goes, but I wonder if there will be a reckoning of truth for characters like her. She comes off as naive and weak, but an overall good person who wants peace.

-man these Ochu are tough! Really fucking my guys up. Gonna have to be more strategic. Fire hits them hard but I need to silence, darkness or something. Time for a scan...

-Aha! Sleep attack is successful! Good shit

-can’t get the hang of Lu’s overdrive. I’m going in circles super fast but the bar barely fills up. Is there some kind of rhythm to it? The game does a poor job of explaining it

-Ochu did his “low health” Ochu dance. However he was just barely below half health. So it appears the game defines low health as less than half health, possibly... noted 👍

-in other news I’m getting much better with everyone else’s overdrive 💪 just need to figure out Lulu’s deal lol I’m spinning like crazy but it barely fills

-new Ochu strategy! Put to sleep, then pull out an aeon for 5 or 6 fire attacks in a row, FTW.

-I haven’t experimented with these overdrive modes too much. Anyone have an tips on what is the best? I imagine it depends on how strong/weak the fiends are

-had an overdrive loaded up on Valefor to defeat Belgemine’s Ixion in one attack 💪 don’t know what dragon scales are but I will take it!

-Aeons can learn abilities!? Nice! I didn’t remember that at all. So cool

-Yuna - “a lot of fiends here, ya?”
Lulu - “please don’t talk like that” hahaha ok that was pretty funny. Yuna was mocking Wakka

-Imposhibibble! Imposhibibble! 😂 I still say that to this day once in a while, and most people look at me like I’m crazy

Another short update. I was gonna post it later but what the hell, this is basically an FFX blog at this point lol. Gotta run some errands, I will probably do another short one later today.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
-Another thing, I love that spells/skills/abilities are so useful. I find myself using nulblaze, sleep attack and more quite often. In other FFs like ffvii remake the battle goes by so fast I never had to use status ailment items and would always just sell them. It was a shame because it felt like the strategy was sucked out of them game. Not in FFX tho. Taking turns is fantastic and I wish that FF would get back to more turn based and less live action.

Yeah status ailments in X are practical for casual play in X cuz they're often tied to an attack. Wakka or Auron can cause Blind/Sleep/Zombie/whatever without wasting a turn. If the status doesn't hit you still deal the damage.

You've also probably noticed they have a "Buster" version too. Its a much higher chance to inflict the ailment, but it only lasts for one enemy turn and is often higher MP cost.

Top Bottom