• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: MGSV - Everyone feels phantom pain, including the player.

Dthomp

Quiet and her beauty were the only things that made me not stop playing this awful game a quarter in. Ending was typical go for shock twist that surprised nobody. I've enjoyed most of the MGS series, but that series peaked many titles before this and just kept getting worse with each new one.

As far as stealth games go, it was fine, but I think we were really screwed this generation on quality stealth titles as everything blends more into shooting now. I would love a well crafted like the originals Splinter Cell title.

ethomaz

Banned
Nope. It is not a controversial opinion at all... there are a lot of fans that thinks MGS2 is the worst in the franchise. Raiden is suck a bad character, the story is bad and only the intro feels like MGS sequel.

In fact it could not exists that the franchise could be fine... It didn't add nothing to the story even if you accept that it is only a Raiden's dream.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Nope. It is not a controversial opinion at all... there are a lot of fans that thinks MGS2 is the worst in the franchise. Raiden is suck a bad character, the story is bad and only the intro feels like MGS sequel.

In fact it could not exists that the franchise could be fine... It didn't add nothing to the story even if you accept that it is only a Raiden's dream.

MGS2 is one of the best games in the franchise. It kills MGS4 and MGS5 easily.
I think you did not understand the game, and that's comprehensible.

Roni

Gold Member
I feel like Kojima games are just like expensive wine that really don't taste good, but you say to everyone you loved it neverthless. I personally never cared less for the MGS series and DS feels like a whole mess again.

Sorry Kojima-san. Your games are not really good.
you need to start paying less for cheap wine, then.

keraj37

Installing as we speak, but for me it will be first contact with Kojima games in general not to mention MGS series.
Thanks OP for the thread.

wCP2cjx.png

Last edited:
With Death Stranding launch right around the corner, I decided to give another go at MGSV: The Phantom Pain. Didn't want to dive in to Kojima's new game without having finished his previous game :messenger_beaming:
I don't blame you.
I had bought the game back in 2015, but didn't advanced very much into it.
I know the game's development near it's end was convoluted, but for me that doesn't excuse some game decisions that where made.
1 ) Story wise the game is a mess.

Whoever had the idea of trying to tell the story through tapes should get his ass kicked. Bad, bad idea!
2) Bad open world design.
4) On-foot traversal done wrong.
3) Development cycles.
KOJIMA.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I say that since ever, that MGS V is not a good game. It has really great stuff, like how free you're to do stuff, but since everything is so convoluted and mostly doesn't pay off, it's bad.

Kojima bitches still cry for the game, that Konami is the enemy. Well, maybe helped to get worst, but every normal person can see that this game is not good from the roots.

Roni

Gold Member
It has really great stuff, like how free you're to do stuff, but since everything is so convoluted and mostly doesn't pay off, it's bad.

Worth noting that a story not paying off in the end is a valid choice. Tragedies are as old as ancient Greece.

Though i love the engine and gameplay mechanics, fundamentally it's basically a AAA Peacewalker. The problem with that is, many of the concepts work better in a smaller missions and areas, and everything added to TPP is just filler at the end of the day. Again, the engine is great and it's a blast to play, but it's just a padded out handheld game.

TheBoss1

4 is a masterpiece and it is better than 2 (probably the worst game in the franchise).
Imagine thinking 4 is a better game than 2.

The gameplay sure, but that's to be expected. Everything else is inferior in comparison to 2. Only MGS and MGS3 have any arguments for being better than MGS2.

1/2/3 > V/GZ >>>>>>>>>> 4 > PW

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Kojima's fanbase is completely out of their minds with their expectations just like hardcore Star Wars fans, Metal Gear anything is a guarantee success, the only thing better in the stealth field are Ubisoft's outings.

TheBoss1

Kojima's fanbase is completely out of their minds with their expectations just like hardcore Star Wars fans, Metal Gear anything is a guarantee success, the only thing better close in the stealth field are Ubisoft's outings.
FTFY

The amount of tools and methods to tackle missions in MGSV are way out of Splinter Cell's league.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Replaying this and GZ for the first time in years. Damn this is still so good. These cinematics are so awesome and I’m loving all of it. The gameplay is just top notch and easily the best offering of the series. The story, I’m on on the side who really loved it, the crazy nightmare horror of Big Boss in Ground Zeroes and the perfect intro to Venom Snake (following up from Naked Snake in MGS3 - this game is a sequel to that one in many ways). Phantom Pain is a perfect concept to wrap this series up, the dichotomy of BB as a legendary mercenaries who is both hero and villain. Anyone asking when he is going to go bad hasn’t been paying attention during the Ground Zeroes cutscenes, Chico and Paz, the only remnants from Peace Walker, symbols of the revolutionary heroic nature (Paz = peace) are now just pieces of meat in the gears of war, their bodies not even their own, mutilated to send a message to BB, just more tools in the game of war. Ofc Solid Snake the go hero of the series was himself an engineered weapon. this series, like Robocop, is about the way war dehumanises and alienates, and how this can manifest against enemies, friends, family, and even oneself.

the story in this perfectly shows the disintegration of Venom’s dream. he is caught between the past and future, a man out of time. he is “already a demon” and we see him helped by characters that are normally villains in other games. Psycho Mantis and Volgin from MGS and MGS3 at the hospital, Ocelot giving you your mission objectives. Quiet as an almagamation of The Boss and The End and all the female sniper love interests of previous games. here Venom decides to save her, she was there when he woke up and she fought Ishmael, who lit her on fire and caused her to become Quiet. instead of killing the Boss for his country he saves Quiet for his own selfish reasons, because back at mother base Kaz is not happy with that arrangement. In truth she is a living WMD and much like when they took on nuclear weapons in PW it ends up causing many problems and ensuring the downfall of Diamond Dogs.

anyways it’s all so cool, rescuing Kaz is a cool segment, taking Quiet back is super awesome action movie stuff, all the D-Dog stuff is wonderful and charming and also badass. i remember chapter 2 being well done too, see sad collapse of Venom’s dream as he slowly pieces things together. it all leads up to where BB was at the time of the first Metal Gear game, completing the loop. It’s cool between PW, GZ and TPP they cover 20 years of BB’s career following MGS3. why people so down on the story in this I’ve no idea.

Top Bottom