• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 - Some say Generation 5 is the worst...

Pics_nao

Easily the best gen. I'll ride Gen 3's dick to the ends of the earth but Gen 5 is where it's at. So much good shit that was introduced in BW and heavily expanded on in B2W2. Such great games. Shame XY was so bad. Soured me a bit on SM but I hear that they're pretty dope.

nickgia

BW2 fixed a lot of the issues I had with BW1 (primarily that you're going in a circle around the region). BW2 is up there as one of my favorites but still not as good as Heartgold or Platinum.

I think BW2 are the best games in the series. Excellent distribution of Pokemon, excellent balance, excellent story, excellent difficulty.

It's basically perfect.

ZeroX03

Banned
Gen 5 underrated as hell. Better than 3 and 6 easily, and Gen 4 basically just rides on how good Platinum is. BW1 felt like a big step forward in world building and story, while BW2 was great for gameplay.

BW2 had everything improved from BW with the exception of the story, but even then, its not as forgettable and X and Y's story.

Recommended, 100%

blakep267

Diamond/pearl/platinum is tied with XY as the worst imo. The selection of Pokémon in DPP was terrible imo. Way too many returning Pokémon and not enough new ones. XY just felt too easy and the characters were annoying. Plus it felt slower. I'm not sure I love full 3D world( 3D Beatles are fine)

Macka

Redeemed Gen 5 for me. Still don't like the generation overall. I think that's why I wasn't so disappointed with Gen VI
Pretty much this. I'm not a fan of BW1 at all, but there's no denying BW2 are great games. Up there with HG, Platinum and Emerald as the best games in the series IMO.

Thinking about, I think I'd put BW2 in the best in the series over HGSS due to the Pokemon variety and smoother difficulty curve. That was the biggest problem in GS and I wish they'd addressed it in the remake.

Izayoi

Banned
What disappointed me about B2W2 was the badge gate -> victory road -> E4 progression. BW had the most insanely hyped final run in Pokemon history, and I was really let down by B2W2 (although Iris was a great touch).

Riposte

I think BW2 are the best games in the series. Excellent distribution of Pokemon, excellent balance, excellent story, excellent difficulty.

It's basically perfect.
Challenge Mode is so good. Stupid to unlock though.

BW2 has pretty much killed my interest in the series going forward. The new games look like gimmicky downgrades in comparison and I couldn't even tolerate XY. I think I even rather play HGSS or Platinum if anything. I'm waiting for a return to form, like we saw with Fire Emblem Fates Conquest.

Izayoi

Banned
Challenge Mode is so good. Stupid to unlock though.

BW2 has pretty much killed my interest in the series. The new games look like gimmicky downgrades in comparison and I couldn't even tolerate XY. I think I even rather play HGSS or Platinum if anything. I'm waiting for a return to form, like we saw with Fire Emblem Fates Conquest.
As someone keeping up with spoilers, Sun/Moon are shaping up to be pretty great.

What comes off as gimmicky to you?

I recently went back and started some older titles, and they have not aged spectacularly. The amount of QoL improvements since Platinum is astounding.

The only real worst generation is VI. III at least had a story and fun gameplay. I will never understand why III gets bashed.

Because Gen V and Gen III were both sort of soft resets for their particular generation.

You can even look at Gen VII like that with
The lack of a national dex

Riposte

As someone keeping up with spoilers, Sun/Moon are shaping up to be pretty great.

What comes off as gimmicky to you?

I recently went back and started some older titles, and they have not aged spectacularly. The amount of QoL improvements since Platinum is astounding.
Basically, I don't care about the improvements or features they've been pushing and I think they are neglecting the stuff I care about. My opinion is mostly based on XY being a huge disappointment and not hearing the following games are huge improvements.

SY0k4B3.jpg

Oh, I wanted to add this but I didn't know where to fit it in to the OP. I'm still impressed at how creepy this place is. So B2W2 added a new town called Lentimas Town, and a new area called Reversal Mountain. Now east of Reversal Mountain is this tucked away little house called the Strange House. People make a big deal about Lavender Town, or the Old Chateau being creepy areas but those places have nothing on this. Shit went seriously down here,, objects are moving on their own, and a girl is crying out for her parents. In the inner most areas of the house, there are bunch of shelves full of books about dreams and nightmares, about the move Dream Eater, and the Pokemon Drowzee, Hypno, Cresselia, and Darkrai. If you manage to maneuver around the house, you'll find a Lunar Wing, an object that Cresselia drops in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. The girl that is crying out, appears before you and asks you to return it to Cresselia and disappears on you.

So basically without explicitly saying anything, this girl went and died after being tormented by Darkrai in her nightmares. Her parents tried to save her using the Lunar Wing, which worked for the kid Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, but they were too late here. The house is abandoned at this point, but something is still haunting it. Something maybe more than just the ghost pokemon that are already present there.

What's also neat is, this whole mini story was built up from a throw away scene from Black and White. When you first visit Marvelous Bridge, you see a girl fade in and out of reality and disappear. You don't know what the heck happened, so you move on. In Black 2 and White 2, this is the same girl that was on the bridge, and she wants you to bring the wing back there.

This is messed up

Gonna echo some others on their points. The designs of the pokemon in Gen 5 were really, REALLY hit or miss, very little middle ground for me. Nonsense like vanillite was hard to accept.

BW2 was a great game, and better than it's predecessor in the best ways. Marked improvements all around and made it a worthwhile game to play. I agree though the story overall was missing the impact the first had, but then again the first was surprisingly deep for the pokemon series at the time. Probably why it was so hard to go into X and Y with it being so weak on the story front and serious nature of the previous region... Though going for a serious story all the time would probably turn me off too.

Also the electric gym leader is my favorite leader design of all the franchise lol.

Basically, I don't care about the improvements or features they've been pushing and I think they are neglecting the stuff I care about. My opinion is mostly based on XY being a huge disappointment and not hearing the following games are huge improvements.

In general S/M improve the pacing and encounter design, most routes and areas have a "boss trainer" who has some more odd combinations. The AI is also more capable of Switching more often to get you to hit resistances or immunities. Most of the major boss pokemon implement a gimmick in their fights as well. It's still not terribly difficult but you get into more interesting situations more often than most pokemon games particularly on set and without the EXP share.

Riposte

In general S/M improve the pacing and encounter design, most routes and areas have a "boss trainer" who has some more odd combinations. The AI is also more capable of Switching more often to get you to hit resistances or immunities. Most of the major boss pokemon implement a gimmick in their fights as well. It's still not terribly difficult but you get into more interesting situations more often than most pokemon games particularly on set and without the EXP share.
I think I'm all JRPGd out for this year, but maybe I'll take a look later. Still though, why can't they just put in Challenge Mode again, damn.

MicH

I absolutely adore BW2 and I hated BW1 :p Loved the new towns and routes and that you could catch a lot of older Pokemon very early on. Felt a lot more complete to me. Still not a fan of Unova as a region (probably my least favorite region) but I also dislike Kalos. My favorite regions are Hoenn and Sinnoh.

BW2 champion and the champion theme is the best thing ever too.

I agree gen VI is the worst gen so far. So bad it even ruined my favorite gen (III) :(

Izayoi

Banned
I agree gen VI is the worst gen so far. So bad it even ruined my favorite gen (III) :(
???

Gen III is my favorite and I adored ORAS. With the new megas (Mega Mawile omggggg) it really felt like a solid entry. I also really liked the Delta Episode - so fucking cool.

I dunno, XY weren't super strong or anything, but how could they ruin Gen III?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh, I wanted to add this but I didn't know where to fit it in to the OP. I'm still impressed at how creepy this place is. So B2W2 added a new town called Lentimas Town, and a new area called Reversal Mountain. Now east of Reversal Mountain is this tucked away little house called the Strange House. People make a big deal about Lavender Town, or the Old Chateau being creepy areas but those places have nothing on this. Shit went seriously down here,, objects are moving on their own, and a girl is crying out for her parents. In the inner most areas of the house, there are bunch of shelves full of books about dreams and nightmares, about the move Dream Eater, and the Pokemon Drowzee, Hypno, Cresselia, and Darkrai. If you manage to maneuver around the house, you'll find a Lunar Wing, an object that Cresselia drops in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. The girl that is crying out, appears before you and asks you to return it to Cresselia and disappears on you.

So basically without explicitly saying anything, this girl went and died after being tormented by Darkrai in her nightmares. Her parents tried to save her using the Lunar Wing, which worked for the kid Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, but they were too late here. The house is abandoned at this point, but something is still haunting it. Something maybe more than just the ghost pokemon that are already present there.

What's also neat is, this whole mini story was built up from a throw away scene from Black and White. When you first visit Marvelous Bridge, you see a girl fade in and out of reality and disappear. You don't know what the heck happened, so you move on. In Black 2 and White 2, this is the same girl that was on the bridge, and she wants you to bring the wing back there.

This is messed up

I loved that scene and I liked it how Game Freak build upon it from a what I thought was a throw away scene from the first game.

X and Y tried to something similar with that ghost girl but alas it was moot as nothing came out of it probably never will along with other unanswered mystery that Kalos had.

Depends if you compare it to other remakes as the Hoenn remake just doesn't quite live up to the Johto remake and omits Emerald portion with it being a troll tease.

freoleo29

I mean Gen 5 is clearly the worst BUT they are still very very good games which is why Pokemon is one of the best gaming franchises

MicH

???

Gen III is my favorite and I adored ORAS. With the new megas (Mega Mawile omggggg) it really felt like a solid entry. I also really liked the Delta Episode - so fucking cool.

The new megas were great but I thought ORAS were terrible. When you look at how great the earlier remakes were ORAS just didn't cut it. Could've easily used a lot of the stuff Emerald implemented but they didn't. The Battle Frontier tease was just a slap in the face.

Delta Episode was a nice try, but ultimately pointless and added very little. Emerald is still the best game set in Hoenn while HGSS and FRLG are vastly superior to their original games

woopWOOP

This is messed up
I don't even remember this (aside from the random bridge disappearance scene in B/W) and probably never would've connected the dots on my own.

Gen 5 is even better than I remember!

Aleh

Gen 5 was great, only things I don't like so much are some Pokémon designs (definitely my least favorite gen in this regard).
BW had a great story and decent content, and BW2 had great content a decent story, which means you have reasons to play both.

Top Bottom