• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pokemon Diamond / Pearl / Platinum

So I'm not the biggest fan of Gen IV but I've been wanting to go through all of the Pokemon games in the series. I've gone through Red, White, and my next stop is Platinum.

oAcpH71.jpg
pg4isrF.jpg

First of all, with the good. The Sinnoh games did a lot for the gameplay of the series, starting with the biggest change, the physical/special split. Back in the older games, only certain types of Pokemon used the Attack stat like Normal and Flying types while other Pokemon like Water and Fire types used the special stat. This didn't make a lot of sense for some Pokemon, cause some of the leaned more heavily toward their special stat but were stuck with movepools that made use of their Attack stat, and vice versa. Gen IV changed everything, now all types can use the attack and special stat and which stat they use depends on what kind of move it is. If it's something like a contact move, like tackle, of course it would use the attack stat. But if it's something like a distance move, like Water Gun, it uses the special stat. It gets more complicated with some moves but that is the general gist of things, and it's a big deal for the series going forward.

Another thing great about the Sinnoh games, and this is mostly because of the move to DS is the ability to go online. Now anyone can trade and battle with anyone around the world. Now everyone can get all of the starter Pokemon, or that version exclusive you're missing. Game Freak on top of this also created the GTS, a sort of trade posting where you could send something up on the internet and ask for another Pokemon, and someone somewhere around the world would fulfill that trade and give you what you're looking for. Going online is a huge game changer for the franchise and has only made it bigger and better.

Sinnoh itself is an awesome and entertaining region. Sinnoh is mountainous, revolving around a mountain range called and specific mountain, Mt. Coronet. It splits the region in half and you'll passing through and over the mountain constantly. There's also how the environment decidedly colder (mostly apparent in the visual of Platinum), where everyone is wearing winter clothing, you can see snow around the environment, and some of the northern routes are packed with hard to cross snow. The Sinnoh region gives a real sense of adventure with you trekking across the land. This goes along with the gym leader order (at least in Diamond and Pearl), where you won't be able to fight the ghost type gym leader Fantina in Hearthome City which is the city you'll be heading toward right after the 2nd Gym. You'll be circling around through the Eastern parts of the region exploring the bustling Veilstone City and marshes of Pastoria Town.

There's also a lot of great new Pokemon introduced with this generation that have stood the test of time and are still viable in the competitive scene, like Garchomp, the Sinnoh Region's stand out powerhouse as well as Lucario, who has become an important Pokemon not only in its own franchise, but even other series like Smash Bros. There's also a bunch of old Pokemon that got new evolutions to make them more viable, like Weavile the evolved form of Sneasel, Gliscor the evolved form of Gligar, Roserade, evolved form of Roselia, etc. A bunch of new baby Pokemon were also added to make Pokemon evolutionary lines more complete (and cute!) like Bonsly, Mime Jr. and Munchlax.

Another cool thing about these games, is if you have an original DS or DS Lite, you can insert one of the GBA games in the GBA slot, and you'll be able to catch certain Pokemon from those games in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. It's really ingenious, and something I wish they also kept for Black and White. On top of this, you're able to transfer Pokemon from those games, so you still get forward compatibility. Gen 3 don't get abandoned just because of move to a new platform.

Platinum added a Battle Frontier like Emerald did for Ruby/Sapphire. Instead of 7 facilities, there are 5. But they are just as challenging. It's a nice bunch of post game content in an already packed to the brim game. Some of the Frontier brains make future appearances, like Caitlin who becomes an Elite 4 member in gen 5. In this game she's a silent little kid.

Game Freak also managed to step up their game story and writing wise. The generation 4 games immediately try to tie themselves with Generation 2 as we start hearing about the Red Gyarados from the Johto region in a newscast (in Diamond and Pearl anyway). In Platinum, you and your rival want to meet Professor Rowan and get your first Pokemon. Your rival, I'm going to call him Barry, well Barry is alright. He's a hothead always in a rush, hell he misses out on getting a Pokedex because of it. He's on a journey to prove himself, to be as strong as his dad Palmer (he's the Battle Tower's Tower Tycoon), and is constantly challenging you to prove it to himself. Eventually, when he loses to one of the Team Galactic admins after failing to rescue a legendary Pokemon, he realises he needs to be more serious. It's not the greatest arc, but it's fine. A nice touch that I'm glad that they brought back with these games is your rival's name will always show up on Gym Statues before you, echoing how Blue would constantly be ahead of Red. On your journey, you'll run into a weird sketchy guy at the lake near the starting town. This guy is Cyrus, the leader of Team Galactic, a nihilistic nutjob who want to reset the world with the legendary Pokemon of Sinnoh. Throughout the game you'll be running into these crazies, who no one really takes seriously, until they starting bombing places! I know right, hard to believe they left terrorist bombings in this. They blow up one of the lakes trying to steal one of the legendary Pokemon, and they eventually steal two others. And these three legendary Pokemon? They're part of a plan to awaken another pair of legendary Pokemon. Did I mention how there's a lot of legendary Pokemon in these games? Anyway, you'll be traveling around the region, meeting up with the Champion Cynthia (who is pretty cool), and eventually climbing up the top of Mt. Coronet for a faceoff with Cyrus. In Platinum, there's the addition of the Distortion World, a topsy turvy hellscape that gets opened up when Cyrus accidentally awakens Giratina instead of Dialga or Palkia. It's a weird puzzle based area that you go through right before facing off with Platinum's box legendary.

Anyway, I'd be remiss to talk about the bad. There's a couple of bad points. These games are really freaking slow. Like abysmally slow. For some reason the movement, animation, framerate, everything is slower than the gen 3 games. It makes it extremely frustrating to play these games after playing through the very fast paced Black and White, or the not as fast but still way faster X and Y. The visuals aren't that hot either, Game Freak, in a bold move decided to add 3d models to these games, and they just look really dull and ugly at times. On top of all this, they added some really stupid gameplay elements, like the honey trees. These trees are all over Sinnoh, and are the only place you can get certain Pokemon. One specific tree will give a rare Pokemon, but it's all down to luck which one that is. And you need a specific consumable item for this called honey that you have to slather on the tree, and on top of that you have to wait 8 hours for the Pokemon to appear, and even on top of that if you don't check the tree within the same day as you slathered honey, the tree resets and no Pokemon for you. It's really stupid gameplay element. Another bad thing about these games is the Pokemon distribution. There's a lot of new Pokemon in these games, but you'll be seeing way more old ones than new for a while. In Diamond and Pearl, you were limited to 150 Pokemon before the National dex is acquired. Those 150 Pokemon don't even include all of the new Pokemon introduced, which is extra dumb. Platinum, rectified this, but not by much. Also, in Diamond and Pearl, you only had one available Fire type Pokemon, freaking Ponyta/Rapidash if you didn't pick the fire starter. Platinum fixed this by adding Houndour, Magmar, and Flareon. But still, that sucks. One more dumb thing these games do is handling how you migrate Pokemon from the gen 3 games. You can only send 6 at a time, you can't do it until you get the National Dex, you have to go to this building and play a stupid minigame where you have to run around this area with a bunch of habitats, not sure which one the Pokemon will be in and recapture said Pokemon with Park Balls, which are essentially 100% capture rate which makes it extra dumb. And the kicker is you can only do this once a day. WHY!?!

All in all, gen 4 did a lot right, but they feel shackled at times just by the fact that they were early DS games. If any Pokemon games need remakes, it's these ones. But in case there aren't any, I think Platinum is okay to play, just have a lot of tolerance for the flaws.

Figured there'd be more Sinnoh fans around.

Anyway, I went back into Black and White and battled Cynthia. Seems like Game Freak takes Platinum as canon. Which makes me wonder how they'd approach Sinnoh remakes story wise.

gLe8G8g.jpg

Chase17

I'm a big fan of gen 4. Might be my favorite map of any of the regions.Also I spent more time screwing around in the underground than I should have.

Thinking back I think Pearl is probably the pokémon game I've logged the most time into.

Mostly agree with your negatives. Especially the trees, good luck trying to catch a munchlax in this game

Nightbird

That's odd Wrench.

I read trough your wonderful OP, but while i agree with everything you said, i couldn't help but notice a certain character missing. A certain character i consider the best in the series.

Now, who could it be?

hmmm

uXafw4X.png

any idea?
:p

That's odd Wrench.

I read trough your wonderful OP, but while i agree with everything you said, i couldn't help but notice a certain character missing. A certain character i consider the best in the series.

Now, who could it be?

hmmm

uXafw4X.png

any idea?
:p
Oh man, my bad. I don't know how he slipped my mind, that guy is surprisingly all over the place in Platinum. Giving you key items, being disguised as rocks, etc. He's definitely one of the best characters in the franchise. I think the best bit with him is when he shows up to arrest Charon.

Anyone know a good training spot that isn't the route before the resort area? Can't fight the Elite 4 cause they're suped up in rematch mode

Platinum introduced Looker who is just amazing. Platinum also had the best level curve in the series (bar BW2) and a good number of solid encounters when playing on Set. It's still too slow though. The Underground was really cool as well.

WrenchNinja you're playing on Set mode right?

Josh5890

I have all three of them, but I never played one of them. If I only did one play through which one would you suggest?

Fireblend

Banned
This generation turned me off Pokemon until X/Y came along. I really want to revisit it because having played B/W and B2/W2 recently, it's really the only region I know mostly nothing about, and I know Cynthia's supposed to be a cool character and the setting looks interesting. I'm thinking I'll wait for the inevitable remakes though.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Sinnoh will likely always be my favourite region. I forgive it for its bad points, and fully acknowledge it can be a chore to get through due to the slow pacing, but I feel in some way that represents Sinnoh's atmosphere( not intentionally of course).

It's very relaxed in Sinnoh. The music has a nice influence of jazz that really hits that nail home, and coupled with the night soundtracks, you really get a feel how easy going this region is, despite the epic lore behind it. The best example is the Pokemon League music. Its some of the most laid back in the series, but your about to take on the blooming elite four!

Its the reason I love Sinnoh, it has atmosphere in buckets and buckets. The route design much more complicated than a normal pokemon title, and makes exploring even more fun, especially with all the weather effects. You can tell its a chilly, rugged, mountainous place, and makes you feel comfy when you get to one of the awesome towns. The graphics add to this with it's charming pixel art and colourful palette. I love how each town felt unique, but yet part of the same region, and the town music is my favourite in the whole series. It may not have the best gameplay or dex, but it's easily my favourite region.

Eternal Diamond and Cosmic Pearl can't come soon enough.

Edit: Just to sell my point, here are some choice tracks -
Route 216, Jubilife City, Pokemon Center, Pokemon League

Looking back on these I still get nostalgic and can't believe how much time I spent on them! Over 400 hours accross the 3 version with Platinum being the most played. The online amd wireless trading/battling was so good.

Selddon

Banned
I'm pretty nostalgic for diamond and pearl since it was my first DS game and first pokemon game since crystal. I never really noticed the really slow battle speed but the numerous HMs is definitely a problem. I'm replaying Platinum now and its pretty much the same game I remember except with the new giratina parts which I kind of dislike (although apparently the speed this time is a lot better)

Ravidrath

Probably my favorite generation, and I'm really looking forward to the forthcoming remake.

And after Delta Episode, I'm pretty excited to see what they do with the Platinum / Reverse World bits.

Platinum is easily my favourite game in the series. It released at a time when I was getting right back into Pokémon after losing a bit of interest after Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald came out and it hit all the right notes. The region is just perfect, the story was interesting and it was the last time that legendary Pokémon and event Pokémon were given proper stories as you attempt to catch them, rather than just turning up to a location or automatically receiving them.

The Physical/Special split was a MASSIVE deal, and the main reason I've never felt like playing a pre-DS Pokémon game since. It was frankly ridiculous it took Game Freak so long. Judging by the stats they attributed to Pokémon (and the fact they never explained which types were physical or special), it's like Game Freak themselves weren't aware of how the system worked. Until, I imagine, one brave intern pointed out to them how flawed it was. Really, half the Pokédex used to be the subject of a very cruel joke. Gyarados, Gengar, Flareon... all popular Pokémon with very high attacking stats, which were severely handicapped because they had little way to use their stats. Gen IV finally made them shine.

Sinnoh's new evolutions for old Pokémon did kind of the same thing (I prefer this approach to Dream World Abilities and Mega Evolutions), but the results were a mixed bag. For every Mamoswine, Weavile and Honchkrow there was a Lickilicky, Probopass and Magmortar - but then again Lickitung, Nosepass and Magmar were never my favourites either. I'm also not sure who exactly wished for a Chimecho prevolution. My guess is no one. Ever.

The native Sinnoh Pokémon were perhaps a bit underwhelming. My memory of the Sinnoh Dex is largely overshadowed by
Bidoof
the insane amount of Legendaries (15!), which included among others:
- a triplet of completely unremarkable and indistinguishable Lake Guardians;
- an ever uglier elemental Golem (thanks Hoenn);
- a baby Legendary with middling stats;
- six event-exclusive Legendaries, including the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE.

Yes, Arceus. They made an event to catch the fucker in a Pokéball, but perhaps the creators eventually awakened to the sheer irony of this possibility, because Game Freak never actually released the code required for this event. But do not despair, because since Gen VI introduced Mega Evolutions, Mewtwo actually has the higher base stat total! Who's your God now, Pokémon!?

Anyway, I agree with the OP that perhaps the best thing about Sinnoh is well, Sinnoh:
This is a great, characteristic, self-contained region which I cannot wait to see remade in full, gridless 3D. Kalos and especially Unova pale in comparison. Unova's story was more interesting though.

I love you Bidoof.

Even though Hoenn is the one I have most of a personal attachment to, and could probably draw off the top of my head best, Sinnoh is my favorite region. Its sheer size and connections really sell you being on an adventure, and it feels really natural.

Also I agree, there were way too many legendaries in that Generation unfortunately, something that's only been passed on since. I also wish we got better looking natural legendaries, as the more robotic looking ones peaked around Gens 3-4 for me.

Fuck, I love Gen 4 the more I think about it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gen 4 and Sinnoh is my favorite generation and I have fond memories playing them.

Yeah, but its only once a day isn't it?

I wish they had kept the trainers eye from rse

Trainers Eye is rubbish, VS Seeker is and will always be miles better than the Phone from gen 2, the Mach call from gen 3 or nothing from gen 1,5, and 6.

RIP VS Seeker you were a very useful tool and I miss you. ;_;

One of the favorite games in the series for me, I just really love the region in general, it's got some really nice looking parts to it.

ar4757

Even though Hoenn is the one I have most of a personal attachment to, and could probably draw off the top of my head best, Sinnoh is my favorite region. Its sheer size and connections really sell you being on an adventure, and it feels really natural.

Sounds just like me. Started in Hoenn, know it the best and it's practically tied with Sinnoh for me, but Sinnoh is such a detailed region. Despite loving the trumpets more than most, the piano use was great in Gen IV

entremet

Beautiful soundtrack.

Crazy that kids that started with Gen IV all are grown up now.

The slow battle engine kills replays for me unfortunately.

Can't wait for the remake to fix it.

Kurita

I still think Platinum is the best game in the series overall.
Yup.
My favorite game of all time.

Big region, feels like a real adventure, a lot of legendaries that make Sinnoh full of mystery. OST was on point, I loved the rival...
Aaah I need to play Platinum again

brinstar

Wow, the graphics are way, way simpler than I remember them being. I should replay Platinum, it's been a long time.

Trainers Eye is rubbish, VS Seeker is and will always be miles better than the Phone from gen 2, the Mach call from gen 3 or nothing from gen 1,5, and 6.

RIP VS Seeker you were a very useful tool and I miss you. ;_;
I dont really see how. VS seeker is so hit or miss. most of the time people don't want to battle then you have to bike around again to recharge. It's so dumb compared to trainers eye which has like 50 different trainers around the entire region, with always someone willing to battle you. And if you didn't want to deal with that, you could just refight Gabby and Ty.

I really enjoyed D/P/Pt. I definitely have to agree with the slowness, however.

But I really liked the design of BOTH main characters that you choose from (which is kinda rare sometimes in Pokémon...) I thought the legendaries were cool (love Shaymin etc) and the region itself was quite nice as well.

It was B/W that actually turned me off Pokémon for a while :S Just couldn't get into it. But then X/Y came out and I fell back in love :p

Reset

Easily the best generation for competitive battling. No weather wars, no team preview, no broken dream world abilities, and no genies. Fuck gen 5 for ruining it.

I hated Pearl/Diamond because the regional dex diversity was shit. I remember those games being 80% gravelers and zubats. Also literally the only non starter fire type was ponyta on victory road IIRC. Thankfully Platinum fixed that.

KraytarJ

Sinnoh is the best region, Turtwig is the best starter (well Toreterra really), Dawn is the best companion. So many good memories with gen IV, I don't even know how many times I played through Diamond alone. It was the gen that got me back into Pokemon after I fell out around the end of II/start of III, and man what a ride it was.

Platinum is second to Gold in my opinion. Got me back invested into Pokemon... And then I bought black and was immediately back off of Pokemon. X/Y fixed that.

I was a huuuge fan of Pokemon as a young'n. Played the shit out of every gen. Red and Gold defined gaming during my childhood.

I played Diamond in high school. And yet I'm waaaaay more attached to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum than the games I grew up with, because Diamond/Pearl/Platinum just plain nailed the essence of what Pokemon games were in that era. No Pokemon game before or since has felt so cohesive. That region, that music, that story, that online functionality... it's the best game in the series to me and it's not even close. Well, gen 3 is kinda close. I love me some huge sprawling regions.

Top Bottom