• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Big Lebowski: 20 Years on from when you find a stranger in the Alps

Kadayi

Banned
lebowski-featured.jpg

Apparently, it's been just over 20 years since the original cinematic release (march the 6th to be precise) for what is in my view one of the quintessential film experiences, in terms of memorable dialogue, characters and situations across the board. In fact, its existence has become such a cultural mainstay of my life that how others regard it has become the litmus test for how I regard them. Anyone, no matter who they are that's a fan of TBL must be alright on some level, and so far in life, I've found that has held up pretty good as a rule.

Too many classic scenes to work through, but this one for me is a stand out: -

Now to see if I have any Kalhua in the house

The Dude Abides.

Doom85

It's my second favorite comedy film after Clue (3rd being Hot Fuzz). Absolutely love the film, the Coen Brothers' only better film is No Country for Old Men which is one of my all time favorite films period so that's no slight towards The Big Lebowski.

I wish more people would be able to take inspiration by the Dude's laid back and tolerant attitude. The Dude doesn't judge, he doesn't create strife, he lets people be people, he just flows through life and sees what it has to offer. The Dude doesn't need money, fame and all that other materialistic stuff, he enjoys the smaller things in life.

059N09302_7MBF5.jpg

In many ways he's the modern version of Diogenes, whom I consider to be the dudest of all dudes, albeit a little bit more cynical:
  • never die he achieve a piece of writing nor did he perform any kind of profitable trade in his whole life... not even a bowling match is recorded to his name
  • he dabbled a bit in falsifying money... you know just in case you can't postdate a check when you want to buy a carton of milk in the middle of the night
  • he jerked off in public, defecated in the amphitheater, didn't possess a single piece of clothing and generally didn't have a whole lot of fucks to give what people think... just like smoking pot while driving and running around in water sandals and a bathrobe
  • he was once captured by pirates while on voyage to Aegina... turned out, they were actually nihilists from Germany
  • he destroyed the single wooden bowl he possessed on seeing a peasant boy drink from the hollow of his hands... and when he crashed his car he did not care much at all, he simply went on foot
  • Diogenes used to live in a wine barrel... but nary a lamp and an old rug to tie the room together
One day, when Diogenes was chillin' in the sun, listening to his favorite bowling game while trippin' on a bit of Kykeon, Alexander The Great cam by and asked if there was any favor he might do for him. Thereupon Diogenes merely replied, "just stand out of the sunlight, my dude, and take it easy". Truly impressed by Diogenes' most dudest wisdom, Alexander declared, "if only I could be as laid back as His Dudeness". "If I were not the Dude, I would still wish to be Dude," Diogenes replied. Unfortunately as we know, Alexander didn't take it as easy in his following years.

Diogenes tried to demonstrate that wisdom and happiness belong to the man who is independent of society and that civilization is regressive. He scorned not only property, reputation and political social organization, but also material comfort. It is said that he didn't think highly of family ties, hence he never fathered a son or daughter. But it is rumored that he once fornicated with some crazy muse who only wanted his semen.

There are conflicting accounts of Diogenes' death. He is alleged variously to have held his breath; to have become ill from eating raw octopus; or to have suffered an infected dog bite. He left instructions to be, either thrown outside the city wall so animals could feast on his body, or his ashes to be put in a coffee can. When asked if he minded this, he said, "nah man, as long as you provide me with a White Russian and a stick to drive the creatures away, I'll be fine." When asked how he could use the stick and drink his White Russian since he would be dead, he replied "if I'm dead, then why should I care what happens?"

Memorable, quotable and absolutely wonderful. It continues to inspire the fans, here in London the Bloomsbury bowl will occasionally have a tbl night.
Often I'll pick stuff up at a shop or bar and say stuff like ' hey beautiful' , 'sorry madam', ' how's it going'. When among friends of course ( not a weirdo, well...) and often the people who pick up the reference are cool beans.

Chiefonthis

Neo Member
Anything with The Dude and Maude for some reason is just the best. Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore have some awesome chemistry and there is something about their characters together.

Plus their scenes result in one of the greatest lines in all of cinema.

"You can imagine where it goes from here"
"He fixes the cable"

executor

My girlfriend started to like White Russian just after that and after so many years (and meanwhile becoming also my wife) is still one of her preferred cocktails.

Kadayi

Banned
After I made my post I decided to watch the Blu-Ray again and realised it had an interactive quiz option when it came to lines. I'm not sure whether I should be proud or ashamed that I managed to ace it :)

Last edited:

Maluf360

Indo follow the way of the dude so much, that I ordained myself as a minister of The Church of the Latter-day Dude

Top Bottom