• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP TLOU Part II 😥

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I've been replaying TLOU Part II since yesterday, after beating the game when it came out and somehow the game is way better than I remember.

The game is like a big budget movie but with great gameplay. And I just made it to Joel's home and saw the picture of him and Sarah and the picture of him and Ellie not far from it

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

I started thinking about what all Joel and Ellie went through, how Joel became Ellie's surrogate father and the bond they had... so sad 😥

The game is a masterpiece though and I'm down for the sequel playing as either Ellie, a younger Joel or Tommy in a spinoff (Tommy would probably have some good sniping setpieces) or Abby

Has there ever been a game that you ended up liking way more in the 2nd playthrough?

Kupfer

Has there ever been a game that you ended up liking way more in the 2nd playthrough?
Pretty much TLOU1 and TLOU2. Played both on release and loved to replay each. TLOU1 with the PS4 version and TLOU2 with the PS5 patch. It was, like you said, like watching a movie. A movie you really like.
The games didn't feel boring or not worth my time in the second playthrough, I was totally into it - but I also love cinematic games. I understand if people find the gameplay too boring, or that there are too many cutscenes for those who have a strong focus on gameplay.
But for me, these where ~100hours well spent.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Pretty much TLOU1 and TLOU2. Played both on release and loved to replay each. TLOU1 with the PS4 version and TLOU2 with the PS5 patch. It was, like you said, like watching a movie. A movie you really like.
The games didn't feel boring or not worth my time in the second playthrough, I was totally into it - but I also love cinematic games. I understand if people find the gameplay too boring, or that there are too many cutscenes for those who have a strong focus on gameplay.
But for me, these where ~100hours well spent.
You summed it up perfectly. And I never get bored of these games either. I have 8 or 9 playthroughs of the 1st TLOU and I didn't play it until 2017 lol

I've been replaying TLOU Part II since yesterday, after beating the game when it came out and somehow the game is way better than I remember.

The game is like a big budget movie but with great gameplay. And I just made it to Joel's home and saw the picture of him and Sarah and the picture of him and Ellie not far from it

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

I started thinking about what all Joel and Ellie went through, how Joel became Ellie's surrogate father and the bond they had... so sad 😥

The game is a masterpiece though and I'm down for the sequel playing as either Ellie, a younger Joel or Tommy in a spinoff (Tommy would probably have some good sniping setpieces) or Abby

I liked Uncharted 4 better the 2nd time around.

Flyinmunky

I found my Grounded difficulty playthrough to be much better. Having to actually decide when to use ammo, when to run and route to take. Deciding when to save shotgun ammo for more important enemies or use important resources to build a smoke grenade or molotov to help me get through a section.

On hard or standard difficulty you still had way to much ammo/tools.

Hobbygaming

I found my Grounded difficulty playthrough to be much better. Having to actually decide when to use ammo, when to run and route to take. Deciding when to save shotgun ammo for more important enemies or use important resources to build a smoke grenade or molotov to help me get through a section.

On hard or standard difficulty you still had way to much ammo/tools.
I've never tried it on grounded but it sounds fantastic, I guess I'll have even more playthroughs now

Hobbygaming

The game is awesome. It got all the hate from the out of context leaks. If you actually play the game with an open mind, the game is a masterpiece.
This is facts. I was actually spoiled before I played the game and it was still really good. Now I consider it a masterpiece

Vandole

One of these days I'll have to give the game a second playthrough. I wasn't a big fan, though not for the reasons most people don't like it. I just thought the first half of the game was very boring and just felt like a typical revenge story. Nothing interesting about it. Abby's half was a lot better I thought. It was also highly bitter that we weren't getting a new version of Factions and that was probably coloring my mood to some extent.

Anyway, one of these days I'll give it another go and see if I enjoy it a little bit more.

sainraja

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

It definitely happens. I haven't had it happen with games yet but I've had similar experiences with movies/shows.

EDIT:
I take that back! How did I forget....it happened with TLOU: Part 1. I wasn't feeling it at all at first. On my second playthrough I am connecting with it a lot more. I would have finished my second playthrough already but then heard about the remake so kind of holding out hope.

Last edited:
My Game of the (previous) Generation was The Last of Us. I'll tell you, I played much more of GT5, Souls games on PS3,(those are my shit) I consider a game like Okami a 10/10 and I don't think TLOU is a 10/10 (in my book).

But TLOU did something I had never experienced in such a profound way in a game, it really immersed me and made me care about the characters, but overall it was the constant tension, tension in the gameplay and tension throughout the whole story and drama, what would happen next. It kept me at the edge of my seat.

I somehow escaped all the spoilers leading up to Part II's release and played it like a week after it was out. The feeling of tension was cranked up to 11! I didn't like the character's as much as I did in part 1, but what they did with Ellie and Abby, that is to me the most impactful direction and storytelling I've ever seen in a game, and truly something that can only be done in this interactive medium. I was at odds with my own feelings throughout the whole thing, my wife sat next to me to watch large portions of it and we would have long discussions. It's simply on another level.

I still love the first one most though, and my game of the generation is Bloodborne! 😁

Cuphead. I bought on PC just for the graphics. I played it once. Become bored, never opened it again.

Then it came out on PS4 and had a contra itch. I platinum‘ed the game.

Bartski

Gold Member
I've never tried it on grounded but it sounds fantastic, I guess I'll have even more playthroughs now

I think grouded+ is just the "right" way to do it. It's really hard but respawns are almost instant and you can tweak things a bit using accessibility features if it becomes too much. I ended up lowering human enemy aim a notch so they don't snipe you from across the map and are more likely to miss if you run. Doesn't take away anything from the experience but does help a lot not getting constantly shot dead out of nowhere.

Straight from that, I did a mild speedrun with permadeath on "very light" which to my surprise almost felt like a different game and was a lot of fun. You rambo through every encounter never having to care about ammo and just murder everything using zero stealth, this mode is pure carnage and a total 180 from grounded where it's often about avoiding combat and just escaping the area unnoticed.

Grounded+ permadeath per chapter is something I'm definitely doing on the real PS5 update.

Hobbygaming

I think grouded+ is just the "right" way to do it. It's really hard but respawns are almost instant and you can tweak things a bit using accessibility features if it becomes too much. I ended up lowering human enemy aim a notch so they don't snipe you from across the map and are more likely to miss if you run. Doesn't take away anything from the experience but does help a lot not getting constantly shot dead out of nowhere.

Straight from that, I did a mild speedrun with permadeath on "very light" which to my surprise almost felt like a different game and was a lot of fun. You rambo through every encounter never having to care about ammo and just murder everything using zero stealth, this mode is pure carnage and a total 180 from grounded where it's often about avoiding combat and just escaping the area unnoticed.

Grounded+ permadeath per chapter is something I'm definitely doing on the real PS5 update.
This sounds incredible

Homer Simpson Mind Blown GIF

Hobbygaming

It definitely happens. I haven't had it happen with games yet but I've had similar experiences with movies/shows.

EDIT:
I take that back! How did I forget....it happened with TLOU: Part 1. I wasn't feeling it at all at first. On my second playthrough I am connecting with it a lot more. I would have finished my second playthrough already but then heard about the remake so kind of holding out hope.
The TLOU remake will be something to behold I hope they show it in December

Woggleman

To me the game was better on the most recent replay mostly because it was PS5 and 60FPS and second because I knew what to expect so I fully immersed myself knowing what I am getting into.

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

My Favourite series of all time.

I reckon there will be a part 3 finishing off Ellie's story and I can't wait for it.

kyliethicc

Seeing how safe the sequels for God of War, Spider-man, and Horizon look makes me appreciate The Last of Us Part II even more.

A legit bold sequel that took risks.

Kssio_Aug

Coincidently I started playing this weekend a copy I bought about 2 years ago. lol

It will certainly take me quite long to finish it, but until the point I played I enjoyed it a lot! The gameplay is very responsive and I found interesting the amount of accessibility options.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Had similiar feelings playing the GTA story campaign again after finishing it 8 years ago. Like an old friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom