• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Tron: Evolution (PC This Time...)

dcx4610

I've always loved Tron and its concepts and recently decided to try all of the different game variations. I recently played and beat Tron 2.0 (which was great and very unique) on PC but I also had fond memories of Tron: Evolution on the PS3/360. After some digging, I had found out that it actually had a PC release but has long since been delisted on Steam. I tried searching the grey markets for keys to buy but to no avail. Then, I discovered that the game was actually included in another delisted but readily available and cheap bundle called the "Disney Other-Worldly Adventure Pack". I took a gamble and sure enough, Tron: Evolution was included.

Now for the fun part, the game has a horrible DRM system. So even though you have purchased the game, you can't play it because the DRM verification system is offline. On top of that, you also need Games for Windows Live which is also no longer available. Thankfully, there are a couple of options. You can use an offline DRM activation + an old copy of Windows for Live or, download a user mod. Both are a little bit involved in getting going but if you have the patience and get everything up and running, the game runs flawless.

Now for the game. It's 12 years old and looks phenomenal. You have to manually edit the configuration file but you can set it to 1440p or 2160p and high frame rate. With everything maxed out, it genuinely looks like a modern game and runs as smooth as butter. I love the Tron aesthetic in general but they really nail it here. Combined with the Daft Punk soundtrack, it's such a cool looking game and the theming is awesome. It's not without its flaws. The controls are good but they are also very finicky. Tons of random cheap deaths and a lot due to your character jumping or doing a move you didn't want them to do because of the controls and constant motion. Thankfully the check points are pretty generous so while you'll die a lot due to stupid things, you don't have to repeat what you did too much. The gameplay is parkour inspired but the combat itself is pretty unique with your disc and I really can't compare it to anything else. It's interesting.

I did like Tron 2.0 better just because I liked that old school world but the Tron: Evolution is a great experience and if you like the Tron franchise, I think it's worth giving it a shot. Especially on PC with how great it looks. Anyone else like the game or tried it on PC? I'll probably Give Tron RUN/r a go next.

1E2B5D45ED88431DADB87ED2A8C549805CE18B5D

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Ahh I missed out on this game. Hope they make some remastered version someday. Tron 2.0 was amazing.

BTW I think you meant to say 12 years old not 22

Larxia

It's 22 years old
I think you meant 12 years old lol.

I also love tron, and I loved the movie Tron Legacy, I didn't get the hate.
I played this game back then on ps3, I remember being pretty disappointed, it felt quite cheap and I was sad that you didn't have any moments with more freedom, I remember in the intro sequence you can walk in a city for a few seconds with pedestrians and such, and I would have loved more areas like this. It's a world / atmosphere I really love, so having more freedom around it would have been really cool.
From what I remember it mostly felt like a Tron themed Prince of Persia, but quite repetitive.

I heard the multiplayer was really cool with the light cycles but I never got around to try it and it's been offline for a long time now.

If you're looking for more Tron games, I recommend Tron Run/R

It looks great, the atmosphere is really nailed there too, and the game is actually really fun.

The BIG problem with it though is that it was designed with micro transactions, it feels really F2P / Mobile on that front sadly... It's boosters you can buy to get different effects like X2 combo multiplier etc...
You can earn money ingame to buy these, but the problem is that since this is a scoring game, there are tracks you might replay multiple times before getting your perfect run, and everytime you retry, you have to rebuy such boosters, even if you fail your attempt and retry 15 seconds in. It's really frustrating because it leads to having to grind some tracks a few times to be ready to score on a hard track with these boosters.

If you don't mind about having the perfect scores (gold stars) and the leaderboards, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's still a big design flaw in this game. You can't even buy these micro transactions anywhere anyway, some features have been taken offline, so it's just an annoying handicap lol.

It's a shame because the scoring system is actually nice, each bit you collect during the track (which is the money you can collect) act as a X1 multiplier, so if you are in a X100 combo, you really want to keep your combo going and it's quite satisfying, kind of works like how scoring works in tony hawk for example, except here it's by collecting stuff on the level.

But outside of these issues, it's a really cool and fun experience, especially if you are a fan of Tron. It has both on foot and on bike levels, and you can also glide with wings like some characters in Tron Legacy. You can also customize your character a bit and play with multiple characters from the movies. The DLC also includes tracks in the outlands which is pretty cool to see.

Here are a few clips

Character selection

Endless mode

Regular style level

Light Cycle levels

kiphalfton

I've always loved Tron and its concepts and recently decided to try all of the different game variations. I recently played and beat Tron 2.0 (which was great and very unique) on PC but I also had fond memories of Tron: Evolution on the PS3/360. After some digging, I had found out that it actually had a PC release but has long since been delisted on Steam. I tried searching the grey markets for keys to buy but to no avail. Then, I discovered that the game was actually included in another delisted but readily available and cheap bundle called the "Disney Other-Worldly Adventure Pack". I took a gamble and sure enough, Tron: Evolution was included.

Now for the fun part, the game has a horrible DRM system. So even though you have purchased the game, you can't play it because the DRM verification system is offline. On top of that, you also need Games for Windows Live which is also no longer available. Thankfully, there are a couple of options. You can use an offline DRM activation + an old copy of Windows for Live or, download a user mod. Both are a little bit involved in getting going but if you have the patience and get everything up and running, the game runs flawless.

Now for the game. It's 12 years old and looks phenomenal. You have to manually edit the configuration file but you can set it to 1440p or 2160p and high frame rate. With everything maxed out, it genuinely looks like a modern game and runs as smooth as butter. I love the Tron aesthetic in general but they really nail it here. Combined with the Daft Punk soundtrack, it's such a cool looking game and the theming is awesome. It's not without its flaws. The controls are good but they are also very finicky. Tons of random cheap deaths and a lot due to your character jumping or doing a move you didn't want them to do because of the controls and constant motion. Thankfully the check points are pretty generous so while you'll die a lot due to stupid things, you don't have to repeat what you did too much. The gameplay is parkour inspired but the combat itself is pretty unique with your disc and I really can't compare it to anything else. It's interesting.

I did like Tron 2.0 better just because I liked that old school world but the Tron: Evolution is a great experience and if you like the Tron franchise, I think it's worth giving it a shot. Especially on PC with how great it looks. Anyone else like the game or tried it on PC? I'll probably Give Tron RUN/r a go next.

1E2B5D45ED88431DADB87ED2A8C549805CE18B5D

opm-annoyed.gif

Top Bottom