• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 3080 / 3090 gonna be hot and loud

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Not sure why people are dismissing potential heat issues with "but AMD", especially since AMD haven't announced shit.

They are over 300W, if you think this isn't an area of concern then you need to get your head out of your ass.

ethomaz

Banned
The card proved to be a champ... great performance and I didn't see it being hotter or louder than what we saw with previous cards.

These that have the bang can buy without worries.... you wont find better GPU at $699 at least until next year.

Last edited:
please, please read the OP!

the whole point of this thread was to warn people about buying lower-end AIB cards.

as i tried to explain there, the Founder Edition coolers is one of the conceptional best GPU coolers out there. certainly the best 2-fan cooler ever created.

if rumours are to be believed it's also the most expensive one. if that's the case we will see how viable it is for nvidia to sell the 3080 FE for longer than the launch period or if it is mearly a marketing stunt for day-1 reviews.

at the 3090 price point i wouldn't worry on that aspect.

According to reviews it's actually neither. Most say it doesn't even get to 80ºC during load and 36dB which is pretty damn good.

Jay said it never went over 72. Not sure about sound.

Last edited:
im not quite sure yet, but ladies and gentlemen:

i think the most power hungry 1-die graphics card ever created launched today

i thought it would take us till 3090 to witness that

That power draw is giving me flashbacks of the HD 4870

i reckon you mean the 4870 x2

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
im not quite sure yet, but ladies and gentlemen:

i think the most power hungry 1-die graphics card ever created launched today

i thought it would take us till 3090 to witness that

i reckon you mean the 4870 x2

Si. That was my bad. But even the 4870 was stupid hungry at idle.

marquimvfs

I believe OP loves AMD and even referred to Nvidia fanboys in another thread. I'll take this with a grain of salt. As far as temperatures, Nvidia usually runs cooler than AMD. So if Nvidia is hot, AMD is on fire. And not in a good way.
Well, I've never seen any video of anyone frying an egg on an Ati/AMD card...

just to calm the mob:

the rx 6800XT gonna be hot and loud too (probabaly)

but that's because AMD is too dumb to design a proper cooler. and i don't think there will be any partner cards at launch.
To be fair, AMD has finally gotten the memo that blowers are shit at cooling a card. Now, the question is will they avoid the same mistakes they made with the VII, i.e. skimping out with a thermal pad instead of paste and horrible heat spreader to die contact.

Top Bottom