• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 3080 / 3090 gonna be hot and loud

at least most AIB models will be.

as a long term overclocker let me tell you: cooling over 300W in an acceptable manner inside a case is no easy task.

that said a lot of the AIB 3080 coolers are seemingly just taken from old 200-250 W cards. the better ones like the MSI Trio and Asus Strix seem to be 200€+ over MSRP.

the FE cooler design is kinda clever in that it's exhausting like half of the TDP directly out of the chassis like a blower card would, while the other half is handed to a more classical downfire cooler. therefore you have the benefit of only shoving half of your TDP around your case as hot air while also having the low turbolence and high active surface area of an non-blower style card. TLDR: FE will do fine in reviews.

i know it's kinda risky to put out a thread like that a day before reviews land... just wanted you to know what you might be buying into

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

as a long term overclocker let me tell you: cooling over 300W in an acceptable manner inside a case is no easy task.

that said a lot of the AIB 3080 coolers are seemingly just taken from old 200-250 W cards. the better ones like the MSI Trio and Asus Strix seem to be 200€+ over MSRP.

the FE cooler design is kinda clever in that it's exhausting like half of the TDP directly out of the chassis like a blower card would, while the other half is handed to a more classical downfire cooler. therefore you have the benefit of only shoving half of your TDP around your case as hot air while also having the low turbolence and high active surface area of an non-blower style card. TLDR: FE will do fine in reviews.

i know it's kinda risky to put out a thread like that a day before reviews land... just wanted you to know what you might be buying into

Sure, Lisa. 😂

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I do feel that this is the first time where the founder's edition might have the better cooling solution than custom AIBs. Lets see what happens in the reviews.

I hope the FE is decent. If so I’m gonna go 3090 FE.

The AIB offering are looking to be either generic or stupidly overpriced. AIB need to get their heads out of their asses.

Last edited:
call me what you will. i just wanted people to be careful what they buy tomorrow. especially future RTX 3090 owners.

I thought you have some actual evidence...

sorry. maybe this might be an indication:

twitterycjlz.png

ethomaz

Banned
call me what you will. i just wanted people to be careful what they buy tomorrow. especially future RTX 3090 owners.

sorry. maybe this might be an indication:

twitterycjlz.png
Using your logic people should avoid every AMD card launched in the last years because all of them where hot.

I don’t believe it was a issue before (except for the RX 480 case that generated throttling) and it won’t be a issue now.

Using your logic people should avoid every AMD card launched in the last years because all of them where hot.

I don’t believe it was a issue before (except for the RX 480 case that generated throttling) and it won’t be a issue now.

yes it was. amd reference cards always were horrible.

Hydroxy

Well OP isn't entirely wrong in their assumption. Cooling 350W AND making it quiet are almost impossible task. We'll see whether AIBs are able to manage it. Maybe the high end models like Strixx and Auros might but low end models most definitely won't be able to.

//DEVIL//

If I am not mistaken . My old zotac 1080ti extreme amp edition was above 300w . And my temp never reached above 70% during ultra 2k gaming sessions even in the newest cod mw.

But that card was 2.5 slot thanks to its heat sink .
So no if you have a proper heat sink you are fine .
If you go with some stupid msi Ventus or whatever it’s called or 2 fans on 3080 yeah are screwed .

I do have right now 2080ti kingpin edition and to me that’s close to 3080 level when it’ factory oc ( there is a bios switch )

so I am not gonna upgrade just yet . Specially since I got the kingpin just recently from a friend because he wanted the 3090 and he gave it to me for 800$ Canadian lol

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey Lisa sup?
is AMD coming out SOON?
i bet it's any day now.. Yup any moment..

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned

Did you also just watch Jim's video? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
to be fair, the AIB coolers do look a lot thicker this time around. Turing was thick but Ampere is THICK. look at this absolute unit:

07062607765l.jpg

RIP PCIE slots.

MH3M3D

Basically a bait and switch. Their super expensive cooler will do fine for reviewers, but regular coolers for the public with MSRP prices will suck.

geordiemp

AMD has few of such card since then and they never put out better HW, so what is your point?

The point is Nvidia are on a power hungry node, expensive coolers for limited edition reviews

AMD on a more expensive but much better node for power and efficiency.

Things are getting interesting and hotting up.

GHG

Gold Member
I thought this was gonna be some information from verified sources or at least some leak from somewhere prior to the reviews.

But no, it's just tales from the OP's arse.

Griffon

AMD has few of such card since then and they never put out better HW, so what is your point?
AMD had plenty of good cards since, the HD4000, 7000 and 200 series were very good too.

But you're right, it's been a while, AMD got owned for way too long now, I do not expect a sudden comeback. But the better node gives them a chance.

Ellery

Reviews will be out in a few hours. I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out that 320/350W and a very packed PCB design are going to be extremely hot and therefore need a lot of cooling.

My prediction is the GPU will probably sit at 88°C - 93°C

AMD had plenty of good cards since, the HD4000, 7000 and 200 series were very good too.

But you're right, it's been a while, AMD got owned for way too long now, I do not expect a sudden comeback. But the better node gives them a chance.

True. I used the R9 290X for many years and beside the HORRIBLE reference cooler the card was amazing. (I had the Sapphire Tri X OC)

The 7000 series was also pretty good, but sadly when it first came out the card was clocked too low and had plenty of headroom for OC and this made the card look worse than the GTX 680 while in reality the 7970 was actually a better card.

Calverz

I thought this was gonna be some information from verified sources or at least some leak from somewhere prior to the reviews.

Maybe he hoping to reduce numbers of pre orders to increase his chances? Lol

geordiemp

Although you have to admit that the information we have suggests we cannot 100% rely on reviews of limited edition founders editions that will be top drawer and expensive cooling.

Reviews should be on AIB cards for the general public, likely to be louder, more expensive.

GymWolf

Well tbh his ass is probably hot and loud like he stated.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The point is Nvidia are on a power hungry node, expensive coolers for limited edition reviews

AMD on a more expensive but much better node for power and efficiency.

Things are getting interesting and hotting up.

What other chips use Samsung's performance/high power 8nm process? I am assuming Samsung have a high power and low power one like other foundries.

It's crazy to see die hard AMD GPU guys or people shitting on Nvidia. Besides AMD recent Ryzen CPU's, they haven't really been competition GPU-wise, unless you go for low end to medium spec'd cards. Without raytracing, no AF above 1080p, without a answer back to DLSS, they run hot, bad drivers, etc.

Nvidia is not without their own faults in the past, but for mostly console warriors to just dogpile Nvidia like that seems rather desperate, as they have the performance crown for several years. And the gap between the two companies are only widening more and more as time goes on.

If consoles used Nvidia GPU's, this thread wouldn't exist, nor would the naysayers.

What if AMD is hot (RDNA 2), Nvidia is on fire?
It's a possibility. But HIGHLY doubt it, unless they brought over the whole Ryzen team to help out the GPU department. And even then, Nvidia is just way ahead of the game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Although you have to admit that the information we have suggests we cannot 100% rely on reviews of limited edition founders editions that will be top drawer and expensive cooling.

Reviews should be on AIB cards for the general public, likely to be louder, more expensive.

We will also get AIB reviews as well though in the next week or so. Nvidia don't control whether or not AIBs send their cards to reviewers.

Last edited:

Mozart36

Neo Member
One word, Undervolting. My 2080Ti before in 4K games - 1050mV / 2000+-MHz / 80°C. After undervolting - 925mV / 2000MHz / 70°C. The card is almost inaudible now too. Thanks to the lower temps, the clocks are practically locked, so the perf is acutally a little better too. Ofc it depends on many factors (mainly bin), but I can see they did the same mambo jumbo on Ampere. I think it will be fine.

It's crazy to see die hard AMD GPU guys or people shitting on Nvidia. Besides AMD recent Ryzen CPU's, they haven't really been competition GPU-wise, unless you go for low end to medium spec'd cards. Without raytracing, no AF above 1080p, without a answer back to DLSS, they run hot, bad drivers, etc.

Nvidia is not without their own faults in the past, but for mostly console warriors to just dogpile Nvidia like that seems rather desperate, as they have the performance crown for several years. And the gap between the two companies are only widening more and more as time goes on.

If consoles used Nvidia GPU's, this thread wouldn't exist, nor would the naysayers.

There are some differences this time around that might end up making some big enough differences to the final products.

Silicon
AMD are working exclusively with TSMC and were the first to bring their chips (CPU and GPU) to 7nm node. Right now they seem to be on an enhanced further 7nm node from TSMC. The node will determine a large factor of your power draw, efficiency and heat. Power draw and heat tend to scale with each other.

Combined with architectural improvements to RDNA2 with this node it is very possible, in fact quite likely based on current leaks/rumours that this time around AMD will likely have the advantage in thermals/efficiency/power draw. Meaning the RX6000 series of cards will most likely have lower power draw/heat and better efficiency than the 3000 series this time around.

Of course this is not all down to AMD themselves, Nvidia have chosen to go with Samsung's 8nm node, which is a rebrand of their 10nm node. This node is larger and less efficient than what TSMC offer and as such this is reflected in the power draw/temps/efficiency of the cards. The evidence from this is already apparent for the 3000 series with a massive 320w TDP for the 3080 and 350w TDP for the 3090.

The likely reason for the extravagant cooling solution on the founders editions of the 3000 series is to try their best to keep thermals/noise low for reviewers as these initial reviews are the most important for each product and will likely be quoted still years from now even if drivers improve/degrade performance or there are other issues that pop up down the line or with AIB cards. In this case the OP is (likely rightly assuming) that AIBs will probably have worse cooling solutions than Nvidia as their FE custom coolers are reported to cost something like 150 dollars to produce each.

This means that even though the FE cards will likely review reasonably well for thermals/noise, Nvidia don't intend to sell bucket loads of these and will instead pass the cost of cooling onto AIBs. This will in turn likely mean that AIB cards will (probably, with a reasonable guess) have higher temps/noise than the stock/FE cards from Nvidia.

So this generation the "AMD runs hot and power hungry" meme is likely to be reversed with the 3000 series taking the hot seat. Of course given Nvidia's brilliant marketing, mindshare and sponsored content/collaborations the gaming community will probably not rake them over the coals for it the way they have AMD in the past. But that meme is almost certain to die this generation of GPUs anyway. I imagine suddenly nobody will care about power draw/heat/efficiency any more.

Performance

Regarding the performance of the RX6000 series we don't really know much as of now with AMD being super tight lipped. In fact we don't even know how the 3000 series performs themselves until initial benchmarks are released later today, some leaked benchmarks seem to put the 3080 at around +25% of a stock 2080ti for example but we should see the real results later today.

A few months ago there was a leaked Open VR benchmark for a Radeon card that performed at +28% of a stock 2080ti. Now we don't know anything about this engineering sample, it's configuration, drivers, memory, or SKU but it is probably safe to assume that performance of cards have probably improved since then as they get closer to release. Of course this could also have been a stress test of some kind and maybe the card(s) won't match that and could be lower. We don't really know and won't until reveal+benchmarks.

The other evidence we have is the XSX performing around a 2080 level (roughly) with 52CU's on a small APU with low power draw/conservative clocks. Increasing silicon size to the rumoured 500+mm2, 80CU, 250w+ card would likely produce something fairly good that could (potentially) compete with 3080 for example.

As with anything we will have to wait for reveal+benchmarks to get a good idea of performance, maybe AMD will fuck it up and not offer something competative, who knows. It is tiring hearing either Nvidia fanboys or just gamers riding the 3000 series hype train say silly statements over and over that AMD will run hot/power hungry and will only compete with low end Nvidia or maybe mid end at a stretch when all rumours and evidence seem to point in the opposite direction.

For the record I don't care about the consoles/console wars, I do find the warriors and their reality denying exhausting. But not everyone is here to spread FUD and run defense for the consoles vs 3000 series, I'm just interested in GPUs and would like to see good competition in the market. If the RX6000 series ends up dropping the ball then that sucks for good competition in the market and AMD's GPU division but for me I'd just end up buying a 3000 series card instead when I upgrade sometime next year. (I would wait for the bigger memory variants though as 8/10GB is seriously not going to be enough long term).

ethomaz

Banned
Some people here don't remember the flaming garbage that was the Geforce FX against the much better ATI cards.
ATI was really great.

After AMD brought them well... the innovation stopped... they used GCN for around a decade and RDNA while was the first good advance in AMD GPU didn’t put the world on fire.

Is there hope for RDNA2? The gap seems to be even bigger now.

I think OP specifically mentions AIBs for this thread, which is still a real possibility. Looks like Nvidia really knocked it out of the park with their cooling solution on the FE cards though, generally good temps and relatively quiet for that level of power draw.

The question is: Will the AIB cards fare as well with "standard" style cooling solutions as most won't be likely to spend roughly 150 dollars on a custom cooling solution like the FE cards.

Strill, great work by Nvidia on those FE coolers, fantastic performance there.

Rikkori

I ran my V64 with +50% PL 24/7 and kept it on air (Nitro+) so I'm not really worried. It never really broke 70 C and stayed whisper quiet. I don't think even the lower-end 3080s will really do much worse.

Top Bottom