• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4000 could release in July or August

so higher clocks with more tensor cores but narrow bus.
I think they're trying to go with a similar strategy AMD did with RDNA 2.

A large chunk of L3 cache (Infinity Cache), combined with really high GPU clocks which will increase the effective bandwidth of that large cache. Maybe Nvidia's attempt at mitigating any memory bandwidth issues.

Now that the consoles are using SSD, as a baseline this may mitigate memory pool size and memory management bottlenecks but this will likely depend on developer optimisations and engine features.

Hot5pur

I imagine a lot of people are in the buy now or wait boat. I just got a 3080 and it should be fine for the next 2-3 years at 4k60 especially with DLSS. Going to see what power and performance is like in the 50xx 80xx gen. The gaming consoles will likely pin the game requirements for now, and the transition to fully next gen games has been slow (likely due to COVID). Also too much uncertainty around Crypto and shady Nvidia practices ... The only thing that seems very encouraging is being on TSMC 5 nm process. Might be a huge performance jump, but even then, might just mean playing at 100+fps at 4k vs 60 fps.

winjer

Gold Member
I imagine a lot of people are in the buy now or wait boat. I just got a 3080 and it should be fine for the next 2-3 years at 4k60 especially with DLSS. Going to see what power and performance is like in the 50xx 80xx gen. The gaming consoles will likely pin the game requirements for now, and the transition to fully next gen games has been slow (likely due to COVID). Also too much uncertainty around Crypto and shady Nvidia practices ... The only thing that seems very encouraging is being on TSMC 5 nm process. Might be a huge performance jump, but even then, might just mean playing at 100+fps at 4k vs 60 fps.

With a 3080, chances are you can skip a generation.
My only concern would be the vram amount.

Denton

I have 2080Ti for three and a half years now..I would consider upgrade to something that can provide exactly twice the performance or more.
But given the hardware in consoles, as long as devs aim at offering 60fps mode on consoles my 2080Ti should last without an issue.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Current rumor is 4090 will release first with 4080 following 1-2 months later. Additionally, these will be paper launches with very limited cards to buy.
Regarding 3080/70 evidently the aibs have processor stock to clear out still. Nvidia doesn’t want to release new models which would make selling the lesser more difficult.

GymWolf

It will be nice paying 2 bucks every gaming evening just for electricity. At this power increment speed I'm out of gaming by 2025 just because of energy consumption and prices.
Gonna hire a real hooker instead of playing GTA and still save some money :messenger_downcast_sweat:.
Just don't bash her head with a wooden bat to get your money back and you are good to go.

Klik

RTX 3xxx prices in EU are crazy.. 3060 costs around 650$. In normal times those GPU's that were released almost 2 years ago would sell for 350$.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Live look at my future 4090 talking to Starfield

Sexy Jessica Alba GIF
I'm going to hold out on the 4080 gen and go straight to 5080 Ti. I think the jump from 2080 Ti to 5080 Ti will be h-u-g-e.

winjer

Gold Member
RTX 3xxx prices in EU are crazy.. 3060 costs around 650$. In normal times those GPU's that were released almost 2 years ago would sell for 350$.

What country in the EU are you in?
I can already find 3060s at 430€, for more basic AIB models. Around 500€ for better models.

Reallink

The 4080 is actually the historical and would-be 4070 chip, so "FE Pricing" should be $699 or $799 given the cratering of Crypto, demand, and supposed surplus of inventory. If the rumors of ~2700Mhz boost clocks are true, you're looking at 50-60TF's for the 4080 (and that's the traditional FP16 TF calculation, not the new inflated FP32 value). This would mean a potential doubling of the 3080's performance, so yea, probably not the wisest move to pay $700 and $800 for now 2 year old 3080's. The $1500 4090's will be like +175% of a 3080, and very likely on par with a far future 5080. This will make it the first preposterously priced GPU that's actually "worth" it, as you're legitimately buying a generation ahead.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Personally I'm still rocking a GTX 1650. I'm waiting to see what $200 will get me once the dust has settled with the next generation of cards (I'm open to pretty much anything). It looks like NVIDIA (at least, possibly but probably not AMD) might be planning to artificially restrict supply to keep prices high but that doesn't matter to me because I won't be biting either way.

Right now it looks like I can get around a GTX 1080 (at a push) for just over $200 where I am. Hopefully I'll be able to get something a bit better for my $200 later on but right now GPU pricing is so stupid. I don't understand how people can justify these outrageous prices.

Failing that, I may just build a smaller APU-based PC with one of the Ryzen 7000s that apparently will have RDNA2 iGPU. Looking at the 6800U/6900HS benchmarks so far, those integrated graphics are actually pretty good. That way I can maybe get a dedicated GPU later if/when prices normalize..

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
4080 or 4090... that is the question. My 2070 is starting to struggle in 1440p so please Nvidia take your fingers out of your ass and announce something!

How long after the release of the stock 4080 can we expect the 4080ti? Any idea compared to previous gen?
And judging with those rumored specs I'm probably gonna build a full watercooling PC for CPU and GPU this time. No, in fact I already know that this is what I'm gonna do.

Korranator

I'm hearing rumors that the AIBs are begging NVIDIA to delay the launch because they are still sitting on a massive 3000 series inventory.

MikeM

I’m interested to see what these will look like in gaming laptop form. I like the clean look of a laptop put away (and gaming at a coffee shop/anywhere in the house) compared to a big desktop tower.

Ellery

I'm hearing rumors that the AIBs are begging NVIDIA to delay the launch because they are still sitting on a massive 3000 series inventory.

Yup the whiplash effect in full force for GPUs.

Years and months of high prices because of cryptomining and now that nobody cares about mining anymore they have way too much inventory since each part of the supply chain wanted more and ordered more.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What does a delay accomplish? Most people in the market for a new GPU know to wait. Sure they will sell some, but they will delay the revenue for people clamoring for the 4k series. Also who sits on the inventory of 4k series chips? Maybe they should be begging Nvidia to pump money into crypto to drive up prices.

I get that it is hindsight, but why did Nvidia think flooding the market with 3000 series cards was the right thing to do at the end of the generation? Maybe they should just release 4090 and 4080 and see if they can get some people who would be in the market for a 4070 to take a deal on a 3080 or 3090 or move up to a 4080.

Reallink

Way too many SKUs still selling for $100-$200 over MSRPs with sporadic availability for this to be true. The lowest tier Asus 3080s are $900 and still sell out pretty regularly for example. They'd be dropping $100-$200 below MSRP if they were really sitting on massive inventory, especially with the generation being 2 years old and about to be deprecated.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nuff 3080s available in the UK now. And some available for like 699. Back to msrp of AIB cards.

Hopefully the abundance of inventory doesn't delay release of the 4000 cards.

Bloody miners and AIBs / Nvidia trying to make too much money.

CuNi

Way too many SKUs still selling for $100-$200 over MSRPs with sporadic availability for this to be true. The lowest tier Asus 3080s are $900 and still sell out pretty regularly for example. They'd be dropping $100-$200 below MSRP if they were really sitting on massive inventory, especially with the generation being 2 years old and about to be deprecated.

In Germany, there are no under 850€ for the 3080 and most are 900€ +.
Some outlets here report that it seems likely that 4090 will release end of 2022 and 4080 and downwards not before 2023, which would be inline with retailers sitting on huge amounts of stock + crytpo-crash flooding used market on top.

Sybrix

They are everywhere and widely available. I have already seen deals on the RTX 3090 for 20% under MSRP.

I can easily buy any RTX card right now for the MSRP.

Founders 3090 and 3090 Ti at Nvidia and even nvidia is offering a 350€ discount in their own store.

I’m in UK, I can’t find a 3080 at MSRP

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
They are everywhere and widely available. I have already seen deals on the RTX 3090 for 20% under MSRP.

I can easily buy any RTX card right now for the MSRP.

Founders 3090 and 3090 Ti at Nvidia and even nvidia is offering a 350€ discount in their own store.
Yep. Newegg and EVGA have all sorts of card in-stock. For instance, MSI Ventus 3080 12GB for $739 after mail-in rebate on Newegg.

3080 10GB msrp is $699. $739 for the 12GB is probably below whatever the msrp is. They also have 3080 Ti for $929, compared to $1,119 msrp.

Hezekiah

Banned
Twats. Do they really think that people like me who have been waiting almost two years to upgrade will avoid waiting another month or three.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Twats. Do they really think that people like me who have been waiting almost two years to upgrade will avoid waiting another month or three.
If AIBs have excess stock and new cards show up they are stuck with that stock for who knows how long.
Theyve basically threatened Nvidia into delaying Ada till they have space for them.
Ada was supposed to paper launch in July thats looking less and less likely.

Hell Nvidia begged TSMC to cut their wafer order....TSMC obviously refused.
So Nvidia have a tough call ahead....call the AIBs bluff or delay the 4080 and under to next year, AIBs hopefully sell those RTX30s so they dont have to cannibalize themselves.
Cuz without those AIB partners Nvidia might as well not launch.

Glad I didn’t waste money on 10xx, 20xx and 30xx.
Might want to save up for longer cuz in ~2 years Nvidia is likely bringing out Blackwell their MCM Geforce graphics cards.
Hell maybe wait 4 years for the next GDDRX iteration.
In fact youve already not wasted money for 6 years, whats another 6 years when games will heavily benefit from the tensor cores.
12 years in the bank? Why stop now.....put another 12 years in, the node shrink will be so small we will have a new metric for CUDA cores.

REDRZA MWS

Hoping the benchmarks are significantly better than my 2080ti. Was disappointed in the 3 series. I’d like to upgrade this time.

1080ti feeling like the best GPU for longevity ever. I think I'll bite on a 4080 and do a new build. Pcvr mods is so demanding i need higher frames
If you bought a 1080ti at launch you made a great great purchase and yeah the 4xxx series is the first time it makes sense to upgrade.

2080ti : rt wasn't a big thing yet, stupid expensive for roughly 30% better performance, almost double the price of 1080ti

3080 : worthwhile upgrade performance wise but less vram than 1080ti, freaking crypto and card manufacturers themselves scalping. Had to go 3090 to not get less vram for a while... By the time 3080ti came out it's like... who cares?

I hate that I had to settle for a 3060 because Nvidia was scalping the higher models of vram and all the crypto scalping... I'm desperate to upgrade!

//DEVIL//

Hoping the benchmarks are significantly better than my 2080ti. Was disappointed in the 3 series. I’d like to upgrade this time.
You are kidding right? the 3090 is 40% more powerful than your 2080ti.

A 40% jump in every GPU generation is magnificent. Do not expect the jump to be bigger than 40% in the real benchmark ( keyword: real gaming benchmark) than the current 3000 series.

so in your case, you are getting an 80% increase. which is very nice.

I mean.... the PS5 is kinda a 2070s level lol.

Banned
hopefully any day now, i plan on a 4080. Any recommend a processor I should be looking at in that tier of build?

if you wanna be completely future proof (which it sounds like if you go for a 4080) then either get a 12th gen Intel or wait for Zen 4 CPUs to release (which should be soon too) so you can use DDR5... right now DDR5 is pretty useless and not that amazing, but down the line it will eventually become the standard and eventually surpass DDR4 performance in games

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to build completely new. Current build is i7 4790k on a minitx board.
I see, that was an amazing CPU back when it launche. I would wait and see on how Intel 13 vs zen 4 turns out, but you want 8 cores for such a beefy gpu and for future headroom.

In my opinion keep an eye out for the 13th gen i7 13700k ; it will have 8 big cores and 8 efficient cores like the 12th gen i9 (12700k only had 4 E cores). For gaming the 13900k won't have a huge advantage but cost a lot more. 13700k will be better than the 12900k due to architecture improvements.

Midn1ght

I don’t know about US but here in my country in EU retailers don’t seem desperate to clear stocks. You rarely find a 3080 below 800€ for the 12GB and below 750€ for the 10GB.

Definitely better than a few months ago but not the “clearing stocks!!” kind of deal you’d expect.

All of this tells me a return to normal prices with the 4000 series is unlikely. Nvidia and retailers won’t give up so easily. Hope I’m wrong.

Top Bottom