• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ruby Is the Newest Addition to the Chocolate Spectrum

Malyse

Dark, milk, and white are the three main types of chocolate recognized by the Food and Drug Administration. But following an exciting new development from a Swiss chocolate maker, a fourth variety may soon be added to the lineup. As Bloomberg reports, the rosy-hued product, dubbed Ruby, is the first chocolate to come in a new, natural color since white chocolate debuted more than 80 years ago.

Ruby chocolate comes from Barry Callebaut, an international chocolate production company with headquarters in Zürich, Switzerland. The new breed of chocolate was the result of about a decade of development from researchers at Barry Callebaut and Jacobs University in Bremen, Germany. To make the chocolate, they used ruby cocoa beans, which grow in Ecuador, Brazil, and West Africa’s Ivory Coast. The final product “offers a totally new taste experience, which is not bitter, milky, or sweet, but a tension between berry-fruitiness and luscious smoothness,” according to a press release.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/504183/ruby-newest-addition-chocolate-spectrum

ruby_chocolate_with_cocoa.jpg

mmexport1504597081686.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
Another chocolate to add to the "not chocolate" list.

Meh. Never cared for berry flavoring.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...st-addition-to-color-palette-in-80-years-ruby

The beans used to make ruby chocolate come from Ivory Coast, Ecuador and Brazil and the unusual color comes from the powder extracted during processing, De Saint-Affrique said. No berries or colors are added. While other companies including Cargill Inc. already produce red cocoa powder, this is the first time natural reddish chocolate is produced.

Malyse

I bet this makes a killing in February. That's when I would roll it out: Ruby Chocolate Roses on Valentine's Day.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...st-addition-to-color-palette-in-80-years-ruby

The beans used to make ruby chocolate come from Ivory Coast, Ecuador and Brazil and the unusual color comes from the powder extracted during processing, De Saint-Affrique said. No berries or colors are added. While other companies including Cargill Inc. already produce red cocoa powder, this is the first time natural reddish chocolate is produced.

Reddish?

Looks pink to me. Are my eyes broken?

Poppy

yall dorks need to read, this aint some boring thread about politics or movies where you just dont read and assume everything and say dumb shit, this is an important breakthrough in chocolate technology

this is serious

EDUCATE YOURSELF

The article is misleading. There is not fruit flavor. Rather, it's saying the chocolate generates that same taste sensation as berries. Kind of like when wine reviews say it has hints of something - that something isn't actually in the wine.

lenovox1

I can't wait until Hershey make a version and perfect it like they have done with their milk chocolate.

This is probably too expensive for Hershey to do, at the moment. They might make some artificial flavored BS that tastes kind of sort of like it.

Faiz

The article is misleading. There is not fruit flavor. Rather, it's saying the chocolate generates that same taste sensation as berries. Kind of like when wine reviews say it has hints of something - that something isn't actually in the wine.

You say it's misleading I say that was completely obvious.

Yeah.

Don't want that shit regardless.

Geist-

New natural flavor of chocolate? It's the universe trying to apologize for how shitty 2017 has been so far.

I wonder when it will be commercially available in the US.

Top Bottom