• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ruffian Games: "next gen console project that we are working on for ship next year."

ekim

untitled2tl7h.png

http://scottishgames.net/jobs/

Crackdown 3 pls!

Credits go to Colin Gallacher
untitled2azx8g.png

https://twitter.com/ColinCGallacher/status/403492761871339520

Pretty sure its not Crackdown as they said they weren't working on it. Some Linkedin profiles said they were prototyping 1080p/60fps FPS on Xbox One w/UE4 and they've been doing it for longer than they spent on the entire of Crackdown 2...

A game for MS as they've worked with them for a while. They're helping on Kinect Sports Rivals too.

Jawmuncher

If it is crackdown please be more like 1 and nothing like 2.
Crackdown 2 was one of the biggest disappointments on 360, still can't believed they mucked it all up. Especially with the zombies that just ruined the game.

Don't take this as Gospel but I heard from someone vaguely in the know of that scene that Ruffian had been massively downsized and Crackdown 3 was being worked on in Sheffield or something. They could have got something else I guess and are expanding again though, but I'd be very surprised if they made Crackdown 3.

Krilekk

Banned
Pretty sure its not Crackdown as they said they weren't working on it. Some Linkedin profiles said they were prototyping 1080p/60fps FPS on Xbox One w/UE4 and they've been doing it for longer than they spent on the entire of Crackdown 2...

A game for MS as they've worked with them for a while. They're helping on Kinect Sports Rivals too.

If developers are under NDA they can't say they are working on it. They can't say "we are not allowed to talk about it" either. They can only say they're not working on it.

TheOddOne

10 months away is September, could be Halo (Halo has released in September before) but I doubt it as Certain Affinity usually do Halo work.
I think they have helped with Europe based projects so far.

People should not get too exited by this news, it will only lead to disappointment.

If developers are under NDA they can't say they are working on it. They can't say "we are not allowed to talk about it" either. They can only say they're not working on it.

But surely they could just not say anything, makes things seem a lot easier.

saska

Sorry this is kinda offtopic but do you remember the Streets of rage prototype they made: http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/5/37...e-from-ruffian-games-shown-in-prototype-video

So this guy from Ruffian teaches in our game design course and showed us some of their pitches and design docs. We saw the same Streets of Rage video I mentioned, its Power Point pitch and another Killer Instinct pitch. The game was called Killer Instinct Reborn. There were 3D models of some characters and also a mockup video. Funnily the stage shown in the video was the same city from that Streets of Rage proto. They were going to simplify attacks (super smash style) so that dragon punch motion would be changed to just up+punch.

He said he probably shouldn't show it to us so I thought maybe this is not widely known. Tried googling and found nothing.

And he also showed us Power Point pitch of Lego style multiplayer superhero game featuring Xbox avatars. I guess that never happened either.

tl;dr Ruffian Games pitched Killer Instinct to Microsoft at some point. Mock if old.

Jimaroid

Neo Member
It's true, we are looking for programmers.

So if you're a ninja coder seriously looking for work, there's an easy way to find out what it is we're working on.

It's true, we are looking for programmers.

So if you're a ninja coder seriously looking for work, there's an easy way to find out what it is we're working on.

A stupid question to ask as you probably won't answer (understandable) but any chance the game will be announced soon?

Liked Crackdown 2 for what it was, certainly interested to hear more about what you guys are up to.

Jimaroid

Neo Member
A stupid question to ask as you probably won't answer (understandable) but any chance the game will be announced soon?

I can't tell you when they will be announced, it's not up to us to make that decision so we simply don't know. However...

There's a third project that I can talk about. Tribal Towers has been on the back-burner for the last few months and we're just about to pick it up again. We'll have some news on that in the beginning of 2014, maybe sooner, if things go well.

Castef

Banned
I think that it is only a matter of time for the unveiling of Crackdown 3.

Hope this time they get all the time they need to properly complete it.

kadotsu

Banned
Maybe they'll make a new town this time. As long as they don't get fucked over by MS' new microtransaction policy the game will be fine.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I don't think Ruffian are making Crackdown 3, there was an ex-employee posting here before, they don't have the numbers (unless there are another 50 of these ads somewhere). They did a lot of Kinect stuff on 360 it's probably something along those lines.

amardilo

I'd love a new Crackdown game.

Ruffian have been working with CryEngine so they could use that engine to make it look really nice. Maybe they could also use MS' cloud service to do other stuff that may help open world games (I'm not an game dev but missions downloaded from the cloud and NPC AI sound doable).

But if it is Crackdown I hope they have been given enough time and resources to make it. Crackdown 2 seemed kind of rushed to me (from reports the dev cycle was short and a lot of the missions felt the same).

d1rtn4p

I'd love a Crackdown 3 if it were done right. Crackdown was amazing and it was jarring how much worse the sequel was compared to it...

Hindle

Banned
MS don't have any games for the Summer, and Phil Spencer recently said they have more to announce. A game from Ruffian could fill that gap.

If they are doing anything Crackdown related, I could only see it being them helping another studio finish it up so they release it on time.

harSon

Banned
MS don't have any games for the Summer, and Phil Spencer recently said they have more to announce. A game from Ruffian could fill that gap.

He said they're shaping up to have a game worth purchasing a month. Even if that includes 3rd party games, and I'm sure it does, there's still a ton of gaps throughout 2014. Leaves room for a few announcements.

FuuRe

Not surprised? it's crackdown 3!!

I cannot read the links presented while at work so please can someone check this out?

Naminator

Banned
Crackdown 3?

Also, NEXT YEAR?!

Man the announcement must come in soon, maybe at VGX?

Otherwise it's probably going to be some arcade 20$ game if the development time is just a year.

That article is odd, they've just decided its Crackdown 3 for some reason.

This is what we know from this thread:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/duncan-harrison/5/496/33
Lead Programmer
Ruffian Games

Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry

January 2011 – Present (2 years 10 months)

March 2013 - Present
Technical lead on an FPS tech demo for Microsoft Games Platform Team driven by the goals of game play at a constant 60 fps at 1080p whilst using Kinect 2.0 in a game augmenting fashion.

November 2012 - March 2013
Code lead on unannounced next-gen project using Unreal Engine 4.

Just adding this:

Ruffian Games
September 2011 – Present (2 years 3 months) Dundee, United Kingdom

• Programmer on Kinect Star Wars for Xbox 360

• Programmer on Nike+ Kinect Training for Xbox 360

• Programmer on Tribal Towers for PC/Mac

• Programmer on Unannounced CryEngine 3 Prototype

• Programmer on Unannounced Demo for Xbox One

• Programmer on Upcoming Game for Xbox One

http://www.linkedin.com/in/rgb1869

Ruffian Games
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computerspiele industry
March 2009 – Present (4 years 9 months) Dundee, United Kingdom

- Kinect Sports Rivals (Xbox One)

Integrated Flash UI elements such as game pause screen, integration of speech recognition into C++ game code and XML assets.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/petermackay

March 2009 – Present (4 years 9 months) Dundee, United Kingdom

Untitled Action Adventure Game
(Art Director/Character Artist - Unreal Engine 4)
In development...

http://www.linkedin.com/in/paullarge

(Adjusted the posts for relevant info)

So:

Project 1 - Unity project (or assisting Rare on KSR?)

Project 2 - Xbox One game for MS using UE4 1080p/60fps prototype? Action/adventure? (Or FPS unless prototype evolved to something else)

Project 3 - Tribal Towers using Unity?

Project 1 could be something else, I have no idea really.

Top Bottom