• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUINER |OT| We Were Never Friends

Kvik

23477611388_0be698b0a7_o.png

WELCOME TO RENGKOK
A city where dreams come true. Where you can be whoever you want to be, flickering it its flame for five seconds of fame. Then disappear into the darkness.

37092374370_74f7ba1735_o.png

36659958673_593f1b77e3_o.png

Developer: Reikon Games
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Release Date: 26/09/2017
Platforms: Steam/GOG/PS4/XBOXONE
Genre: Isometric Action Shooter
Player count: 1 (Singleplayer)
Price: 19.99 USD/24.95 AUD (All platforms)

36619919574_d709bfa411_o.png

37329350031_dee7bf00cf_o.png

36659958753_b63048aeee_o.png

RUINER is a brutal action shooter set in the year 2091 in the cyber metropolis Rengkok. A wired psychopath lashes out against a corrupt system to uncover the truth and retrieve his kidnapped brother under the guidance of a secretive hacker friend. Combine preternatural reflexes, augmented tools, and the arsenal of fallen foes to tear down and dismantle the corporate titans of virtuality dealers at HEAVEN.

36659959153_d7b9f4464c_o.png

36659874113_3c4eed9aeb_o.gif

Sophisticated & Brutal Combat: RUINER features lightning fast combat that requires a delicate balance of overwhelming, brute force, and elegant strikes to overcome all manner of savage opponents. Blast through crowds or slow down time and hand select your points of attack before unleashing a storm of violence on the battlefield.

37299314812_57df66d290_o.gif

Cyberpunk Inspired Arsenal: Equip all manner of high-tech firearms and melee weapons to ruin all that oppose you. Employ state of the art gadgets like energy shield, dash augmentations, and the switch gun stun or hack the opposition onto your side of the fight.

37299349252_d449889c0f_o.gif

Story-Driven Action: Violent confrontation is a means to an end and trust is a devalued currency in Rengkok as you navigate a senseless world with the help of a mysterious hacker friend.

5EctGAb.gif

Exceptional Soundtrack: Explore and battle to the intense beats of Sidewalks & Skeletons, Zamilska, Antigone & Francois X, DJ Alina and famed anime composer Susumu Hirasawa.

jjmrzyd.gif

36659959443_f710e2bf8f_o.png

1. Is there a preload?

From a Steam Community Post

We've decided that RUINER won't be available for pre-load. However, in order to make your lives a little bit easier (at least at the beginning, because later, it will be much tougher, believe us), we've reduced the game file size from 21 GB to 10 GB only.

2. Who is Susumu Hirasawa?

Hirasawa-sensei is a Japanese electronic music composer. The primary source of inspiration for his music can be traced back to the digital technology, the nature of man and machine, and philosophy. His most widely known work is the theme song for Berserk, a lesser known 1997 anime. He also composed the theme song for Paprika (dir. Satoshi Kon, 2006) and Millenium Actress (dir Satoshi Kon, 2002). His style can be described as techno/electro-pop. He can be found in twitter here, and his discography here

3. Why is this OT so barebones?

I wasn't planning to do this OT originally, so I quickly whip out this OT in a couple of hours after dinner. PM me if you feel any extra info should be included.

4. I'm downloading the game now, what anime should I watch in the meantime?

Cyber City Oedo 808

36659959903_f49e3bab46_o.png

tumblr_oihh7kp8jb1u8s9rgo1_540.gif
ruiner_game_exploration_by_bondgeek-dbktsbp.gif
36660923063_147c07538c_o.gif
36661082203_29739b0014_o.gif
36621218594_cdec8df2ec_o.gif
36661296413_156ab6bf11_o.gif
36622276934_3e7f9400cd_o.gif
36622433044_fa000b3634_o.gif
37074591110_161de3d2cd_o.gif

36659960253_a4ca463fc0_o.png

gallery-1489516792-blade-runner-harrison-ford.gif

GAFFERS
Progressbar - http://progressbar.com.au/2017/09/ruiner-review/ - by Dmax3901
PlayStation Universe - http://www.psu.com/review/34295/ruiner-review-ps4 - by Bitsnark
AngryCentaurGamer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTHQdMY2eQI - by Karak
The Outerhaven Productions - http://www.theouterhaven.net/2017/09/ruiner-pc-review/ - by Shadowhaxor
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250561487&postcount=283 - by daniel77733

OTHERS
PCGamer - http://www.pcgamer.com/ruiner-review/
Eurogamer - A powerfully grim, fleet-footed cyberpunk action odyssey that is caught in the spell of its own nihilism - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-26-ruiner-review
Gamespot - 8/10 - https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ruiner-review/1900-6416768/

36660923413_d8bb0cfcfe_o.png

Just to let people know, there's suppose to be a limited run of physical copies real soon from Special Reserve Games.

https://mobile.twitter.com/specialreserves/status/910192284221685760
Nice, GMG has 15% off so £12.74 UK
No official ultrawide support at launch.

Unofficial: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=32318&p=170605

36659960533_4d88aca85c_o.png

Messofanego, tusken77 for the gifs, spineduke for the OT title, More_Badass,Berzerkiymc for review collation.

t1506434400z4.png

pa22word

Wait, what? How in the hell did they cut the game in half like that on a whim? Just cut out all foreign language packs or something? I hope they didn't cut textures or something...

Also, can't wait for this to unlock on steam. Super pumped to play it.

Edit: REVOLVER DIGITAL

Such an awesome pub that even in typo form they manage to come across as badasses

Wait, what? How in the hell did they cut the game in half like that on a whim? Just cut out all foreign language packs or something? I hope they didn't cut textures or something...
"This has been done thanks to a compression. Not a single feature of the game has been removed, nor it is less complex than originally planned."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sidewalks and Skeletons is the best thing about this game, hands down. Witch house forever!

Gowans

It came out this morning on Xbox/Win10 and I played the first mission before work and absolutely loved it.

Its thick in style and deadly, ( I had to knock it down to easy).

Felt great and downloading on PC as its also Play Anywhere now for a go after work.

It seems to give you the first mission then open up to a hub with skill tree.

This looks rad as heck. In!

A bit off topic due to the mention of Cyber City. Yoshiaki Kawajiri is the best action animation director. People, go watch his Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll.

DarkestHour

Banned
So hyped for this I hope it doesn't suck. I have $30 in my Steam account that was for PCars2 but I think this may be a better use.

Going to be buying this as soon as payday hits Friday. Best art direction in a game reveal for a long time imo. Wish it was there for the Switch but won't be waiting for an announcement, looks fantastic and want to run and gun.

Still liked BLADE GUNNER for the OT title.

How story focused is this outside of the combat? Because given the backstory, I really want to know more about the world and tech and all that

The game takes place in 2091 in a cyberpunk metropolis called Rengkok. The future has embraced Oculus-Rift-like virtual reality, but it is so advanced now that wearing the full helmet rig doesn't just deliver sights and sounds to the user, it can also deliver emotions.

Heaven, the monopolistic corporation that owns and creates the future VR, creates an underground black market for the rigs. The market delivers up the emotions of unspeakable horrors to the rich by kidnapping people and subjecting them to all sorts of things.

"Wealthy people who want to feel much stronger emotions like pain or death can feel what that's like in virtual reality," Stylinski said. "Heaven starts attacking people from the street, enclosing them in these simulation environments so people from all over the world can connect and watch them suffer.

"It's like human trafficking."

Enter the player, whose brother has been kidnapped by Heaven.

dh4niel

GAWD DAYUM. I was waiting for a release date for this for so long it kinda fell off my radar.

Can't wait to play it.

pa22word

"This has been done thanks to a compression. Not a single feature of the game has been removed, nor it is less complex than originally planned."
That still seems kind of crazy unless they were just rawdogging it before. My ssd definitely isn't going to complain any ;)

I will say that whoever picks this up is in for a treat. Tons of action, that OST goes in super hard, immersive and .... hard as all hell.

Loved it.

Uzzy

I, for one, welcome this cyberpunk dystopian future.

Won't be able to pick this up till the end of the week, but hopefully there's some great impressions that'll have me start counting the hours.

CHC

Game looks amazing. I just hope it has some good variety and pacing - that's often a make-or-break quality for smaller games like this.

pa22word

As for length, the community manager in the Steam forums was saying 8-12 hours
Hmm I was honestly kind of hoping for something more along the 6 hour mark. These kinds of games are usually a lot better the shorter they are just for pacing reasons, also for speedrunning and replayability to have shorter iteration times between runs. I wonder if it's just the story that's getting the length that long... Also the 4 hour difference seems weird there. Are they just taking into account people getting their asses handed to them or something?

I didn't even know this game existed this morning, now I'm suddenly hyped for its release.

Hirasawa Susumu is an amazing composer as well, double whammy.

Hmm I was honestly kind of hoping for something more along the 6 hour mark. These kinds of games are usually a lot better the shorter they are just for pacing reasons, also for speedrunning and replayability to have shorter iteration times between runs. I wonder if it's just the story that's getting the length that long... Also the 4 hour difference seems weird there. Are they just taking into account people getting their asses handed to them or something?
It doesn't seem to be a runs-focused game
From what I've played, you go to what feel like dungeons where it's all about combat. You go from one wave to another, with usually respite in between to heal up. When you go back to the city, it's a typical hub with quests, dialogue, etc.
ruiner_game_exploration_by_bondgeek-dbktsbp.gif

ruiner_game_map_by_bondgeek-dbktsmt.jpg

pa22word

It doesn't be seem to be a runs-focused game
Oh wow, that wasn't what I was expecting at all out of the game just from what I've seen of it plus the ot. I haven't really been following it at all other than the announce thread we got on here and various people mentioning it in threads here and there. I was totally expecting it to be laid out like max Payne or something. This works too though! Actually seems like a pretty novel idea, really. Openish top down shooter plus the style of the game has me getting GTA2 vibes, a game I think is sorely underrated by history.

Dmax3901

My review will be up in 20 mins or so, I'll be sure to post it in the review thread (or here if that's what ends up happening). Took me 7 hours to finish.

Top Bottom