• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3 more Wii U exclusives hinted by the one who hinted at Devil's Third

wildfire

Banned
Lot's of joke answers including one from myself earlier.

To be serious I can see the Ops suggestion for Ni-Oh.

In addition I would add:

The Grinder from High Voltage (Probability Extremely Low)

They clearly have stopped working on it but the game was being made for all previous gen platforms in mind but with different game mechanics. I could see the top down version being retooled as a Tablet gimmick.

What are the chances of Disney allowing Nintendo to pick up a Lucas Arts project that may have been far along?

Lucas arts? Zero.

Remember that EA brought an exclusivity license.

Amir0x

Banned
If this is true, one must acknowledge how impressive it is Nintendo essentially alone is carrying the Wii U. It's not going to change the dire trajectory, but it's starting to become clear that no one who owns the system should be disappointed anymore after the insane 2015.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If this is true, one must acknowledge how impressive it is Nintendo essentially alone is carrying the Wii U. It's not going to change the dire trajectory, but it's starting to become clear that no one who owns the system should be disappointed anymore after the insane 2015.

I've been meaning to ask- given your (justified) complaint about Nintendo failing in recent times to establish new IP, I'm assuming Splatoon is at the very least a step in the right direction?

Riki

Nintendo doesn't seem to give a shit anymore. It's probably going to be pretty bad for their bottom line over all, but they refuse to let the WiiU fall to the wayside without a giant fight back.
And personally, I love that. Because it's giving me some absolutely amazing games that will be looked back upon in 20 years as some of the best.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cry On getting revived would be great news. And would kind of make sense if it was one of the exclusives hinted at...

Exciting times on the WiiU, it seems.

Axass

Gotta love the way Nintendo "buys" exclusives, they basically fund games no one wants to publish (Bayonetta 2/Devil's Third): this way they get massive goodwill from Nintendo fans and they build solid relationships with the devs.

Ni-Oh would be perfect, Wii U isn't far from PS3 power-wise and it's a project that was never officially canned, they were still working on it in 2012. No way they're upgrading it to PS4 level graphics after all this years and releasing it on PS3 would mean sending it to its death, with basically no support from Sony or any kind of marketing. Add to that the fact Tecmo-Koei seems very close to Nintendo lately and you've got a deal.

Honestly, I could really see this happening with both Ubisoft's continued deflection of questions regarding it's status and the whole "we have completed Wii U titles waiting on the userbase" stuff.

That'd be along the lines of Shenmue 3 being Ouya exclusive, absolutely not happening
as much as I'd like it

Veitsev

Totally believable there are more on the way. Its inevitable. Nintendo clearly knows its not going to get 3rd party support, wants to support the Wii U no matter what, and will try anything to add types of games they don't traditionally make to its library.

Dead

well not really...yet
Beyond Good and Evil is probably the best guess so far. Would be a total megaton and I doubt Ubi sees it as a AAA project/Ip

prag16

Banned
Were there meltdowns over the Devil's Third announcement?

If the game didn't appear pretty rough around the edges, there probably would have been more meltdowns.

Some people who may have otherwise melted down were able to dismissively say, "Pffff, looks like shit anyway."

imo Devil's Third definitely fits in with the "Bayonetta-esque deal which will cause meltdowns" even if the meltdowns were very minimal compared to Bayonetta 2.

Neff

One is Beyond Good & Evil 2.

BELIEVE.

I'm ready
for the meltdowns

I'm ready for people to pretend they don't want it anymore.

I never did anyway, but a repeat of the Bayo 2 scenario would be just as entertaining a second time.

I'm ready for people to pretend they don't want it anymore.

I never did anyway, but a repeat of the Bayo 2 scenario would be just as entertaining a second time.

Yeah I think the first is pretty overrated, but I would also love to see the meltdowns from that kind of announcement.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Right, so Ni Oh and Rodea seem likely candidates, and the third could be either Lilly Bergamo made into No More Heroes 3, or Cry On, depending on how badly Nintendo wants more JRPGs on their console.

Axass

Megaman Universe? The timing for its revival is perfect.

Rodea: the Sky Solder was trademarked last May.

Rodea is a good guess, a very good one. Finished project by Yuji Naka, who worked with Nintendo already with Let's Catch, Let's Tap and Ivy the Kiwi. Too bad Kadokawa Shoten doesn't want to publish it, they've been sitting on it for years, so it could be acquired by Nintendo. It wouldn't be that big of a surprise though, it was always going to be a 3DS/Wii exclusive; unless they reworked the graphics big time to bring it to Wii U.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Gotta love the way Nintendo "buys" exclusives, they basically fund games no one wants to publish (Bayonetta 2/Devil's Third): this way they get massive goodwill from Nintendo fans and they build solid relationships with the devs.

That's what I was thinking too. I find it far more ethical and more interesting for our hobby than the usual way exclusives come about - paying $millions for a game that would have existed anyway, just to stop players on another console from experiencing it.

wsippel

Banned
Lucas arts? Zero.

Remember that EA brought an exclusivity license.
Considering EA announced that they wouldn't support Nintendo platforms, it's possible that they don't really have an universal exclusive license. Their license might exclude Nintendo systems. As far as I know, that's by no means uncommon.

Considering EA announced that they wouldn't support Nintendo platforms, it's possible that they don't really have an universal exclusive license. Their license might exclude Nintendo systems. As far as I know, that's by no means uncommon.

its also possible their licence might force them to release the games on nintendo systems, i do kind of expect EA to come back to the Wii U next year when there's a bigger userbase for no effort cash grabs (roster updated madden & fifa and outsourced ports of their star wars games)

prag16

Banned

It also probably isn't 100% exclusive, at least to the extent that Star Wars will likely hit Disney Infinity in 2015, and I highly doubt EA will be involved in that.

wildfire

Banned

That would be an excellent twist but the rumor is about Nintendo picking up dead games so this doesn't count here.

I suspect if anything frankie's point that the license requires EA to develop on all viable platforms is more likely true.

Nintendo's sales up to MArio Kart 8 were extremely sluggish but if E3 has built up interest like I think it has EA won't be able to afford to ignore it if they sell as well as the Xbox.

Axass

With all this talk of Beyond Good & Evil 2 you're almost convincing me guys. Though the relationship between Ubi and Nintendo isn't the best right now: ZombiU flopped hard, the Rabbids are nowhere to be seen, AssCreed is probably a goner too...

Why would they release BG&E2 on what they perceive being a dying platform?

If we're giving insane answers, I'll throw Faith and a .45 into the mix.

JLkalkO.jpg

In development by Deadline Games, this was going to be a Bonnie and Clyde style cooperative third-person shooter wherein you play as Luke and Ruby. The game would’ve taken place in the countryside during the Great Depression and feature a unique art style in the veins of Red Dead Redemption. Unfortunately, Faith couldn’t find a publisher and was shortly put out of development before the company filed for bankruptcy.
Maye it was the era that sounded interesting to me, or maybe it was just the redhead?

I guess we'll never know.

wildfire

Banned
one is Prey 2, calling it

Not happening. Nintendo has the most familiarity with Japanese devs and they are most likely the ones to get picked up.

I suggested High Voltage which is an American company but they were the only middle tier dev working strongly on putting out games for the Wii with rare game genres like "The Conduit" and have had a track record of continuing to make decent games recently.

wsippel

Banned
That would be an excellent twist but the rumor is about Nintendo picking up dead games so this doesn't count here.

I suspect if anything frankie's point that the license requires EA to develop on all viable platforms is more likely true.

Nintendo's sales up to MArio Kart 8 were extremely sluggish but if E3 has built up interest like I think it has EA won't be able to afford to ignore it if they sell as well as the Xbox.
We'll see what happens. But you're right of course, whatever those games might be, it has nothing to do with Disney. Not to mention the games are probably all Japanese.

Well, let's ignore all the little bits we've seen of something that is supposed to be BG&E2 and pretend it was closer to the first game.

On that premise, it would be a "better fit" on a Nintendo platform, for whatever that's worth. Charming characters and visual style, sci-fi fairytale story, low violence, Zelda-like gameplay, etc.

Kimawolf

With all this talk of Beyond Good & Evil 2 you're almost convincing me guys. Though the relationship between Ubi and Nintendo isn't the best right now: ZombiU flopped hard, the Rabbids are nowhere to be seen, AssCreed is probably a goner too...

Maybe Ubi don't give a damn about BG&E2 and see Nintendo paying for it as a win win? They get to release a critically loved, low selling game, and not pay for it? Remember their CEO did say if it won't be a blockbuster series they probably won't make it, and BG&E2 is not a indie game, nor is it a "blockbuster series.

because nintendo could be paying for it? its hardly like they're interested in putting their own money into it so why not let nintendo do it, also any work on the game so far is probably at the ps360 level of assets so could be used for wii u whereas doing it for ps4/bone would require starting from scratch and a lot more money

Top Bottom