• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3 more Wii U exclusives hinted by the one who hinted at Devil's Third

Nintendo seems to be the only one chasing exclusives these days, while they need it most certainly; the most you hear out of Sony or MS is exclusive DLC or 2 hours of gameplay.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, no. Nintendo probably won't greenlit another Platinum game so soon. They surely have lost money from the sales of W101 and will too when Bayo 2 bombs.
Those two projects were greenlit before the console even launched, so no way they'll finance something as expensive again, imo.

They decided to port and bundle in Bayonetta 1 for free. It's pretty obvious by now this relationship isn't just for game sales reasons otherwise they wouldn't have funded Devils third.

It's not outside the realm of possibility. I think they just want more games for the system. Regardless of if they're not profitable ventures.

Ultimately it's not a bad strategy they really need a reasonably large dedicated the core fan base and simply pushing out profitable safe games that Nintendo can only get really isn't going to do that. If they want that fan base they're going to eventually have to invest in getting it.

wildfire

Banned
While these are probably long shots, Winter by n-Space(Heroes of Ruin - 3DS) and The Grinder by High Voltage(The Conduit - Wii) seem like good candidates. Both games were in development for the Wii, so they were already in the Nintendo pipeline, but seemingly disappeared. And as of 2012 n-Space was still looking for a Publisher for Winter. Both are also survival horror games, and we all need more of those.

Winter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtoKcJOEI7A

The Grinder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itsxtb5GyR4

Pretty shocking I never even heard of Winter until now since I was actively looking for potentially goods games on the console.

This seems alright but I wish the genre was being pushed forward.

I'll already get enough from Evil Within for that back to basics experience after going in the wrong direction for years but I think the genre has been too stale in general even from the smaller devs.

Dyack deserves a lot of criticism, but this game would be a cheap get for Nintendo and it would probably spark some interest with how popular the horror genre is these days. Especially if it was released as an eShop title at a relatively low price ($30?).
Honestly this game's problems begin and end with Dyack.

The Kickstarters failed mostly because of his involvement.

But Dyack is on record saying they still have a strong relationship with Nintendo always in context of a discussion about this game. Hopefully Nintendo's only hang up with backing this project fully is simply due to them not realizing how Dyack is viewed by the community that loves this game.

So far possible contenders are

1. Ni Oh
  2. Cry On
  3. Prey 2
  4. The Grinder
  5. Winter
  6. Eternal Darkness
  7. Rodea the Sky Soldier

Sorry but BG&E2 isn't Ubisoft's completed Nintendo game that is rusting on some shelf.

TDLink

Pretty shocking I never even heard of Winter until now since I was actively looking for potentially goods games on the console.

This seems alright but I wish the genre was being pushed forward.

I'll already get enough from Evil Within for that back to basics experience after going in the wrong direction for years but I think the genre has been too stale in general even from the smaller devs.

Honestly this game's problems begin and end with Dyack.

The Kickstarters failed mostly because of his involvement.

But Dyack is on record saying they still have a strong relationship with Nintendo always in context of a discussion about this game. Hopefully Nintendo's only hang up with backing this project fully is simply due to them not realizing how Dyack is viewed by the community that loves this game.

So far possible contenders are

1. Ni Oh
  2. Cry On
  3. Prey 2
  4. The Grinder
  5. Winter
  6. Eternal Darkness
  7. Rodea the Sky Soldier

Sorry but BG&E2 isn't Ubisoft's completed Nintendo game that is rusting on some shelf.

Eternal Darkness is a first party property, it wouldn't be that. Not that I would rule out them outsourcing it to a third party to develop (like Hyrule Warriors is being done by Tecmo Koei).

I can see that the idea upsets you, but it's simply the truth. And you didn't read what I said.

The things you said could not be any further from the truth.

They released RE4 on the GameCube and announced as an exclusive in the beginning although the PS2 was selling a lot, Capcom is know to do these sort of stuff especially if we look at the current situation in Japan

Nintendo clearly had some financial deal with Capcom hence the Capcom five. Capcom never intended to make RE4 exclusive so I don't see how this supports the argument of a DMC exclusive. Furthermore the WiiU is doing worse than the GC.

Neff

They decided to port and bundle in Bayonetta 1 for free. It's pretty obvious by now this relationship isn't just for game sales reasons otherwise they wouldn't have funded Devils third.

It's not outside the realm of possibility. I think they just want more games for the system. Regardless of if they're not profitable ventures.

Ultimately it's not a bad strategy they really need a reasonably large dedicated the core fan base and simply pushing out profitable safe games that Nintendo can only get really isn't going to do that. If they want that fan base they're going to eventually have to invest in getting it.

Nintendo's agenda is hard to clarify, but Wii U strikes me as an attempt to pursue a gap in the market by defining a distinctly Japanese console and library. With PS4 and Bone heavily prioritising Western software, it might pay off.

Well, that's nice.

Wildean

Whore of the Orient is stuck in development hell and in need of a publisher. Can't imagine Nintendo backing something with that name, would cause a stir if they did though!

Whore of the Orient is stuck in development hell and in need of a publisher. Can't imagine Nintendo backing something with that name, would cause a stir if they did though!
I doubt it would keep that name regardless of where it's release. Just like Stealth Bastard turning into Stealth Inc.

Final Fantasy VII HD
Final Fantasy VIII HD
Final Fantasy IX HD

To fix the timeline of Nintendomination, the universe self corrects and Nintendo gets three of the games that helped to lost their dominance over video games, and retakes the lead in this current gen and never relinquish their grip for all of eternity and future generations.

Hero

When Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei and Bayonetta 2 were announced Iwata said Nintendo was going to be looking to doing collaborations like that.

If third parties won't make games for Nintendo then they will just pay for games that wouldn't ordinarily get funded.

I would expect some other Sega games to come around. Imagine if Shenmue 3 were Wii U exclusive.

Instro

Hard to say if they were originally multiplat games, assuming this is legit. Are we sure he wasn't just talking about Nintendo funded exclusives in general?

Nintendo's agenda is hard to clarify, but Wii U strikes me as an attempt to pursue a gap in the market by defining a distinctly Japanese console and library. With PS4 and Bone heavily prioritising Western software, it might pay off.

Or possibly just to offer themselves as an alternative to IOS to traditional Japanese developers who want to make the sort of games they used to

Riposte

This would true if Capcom was a logical company.. they really aren't so I can never be sure of what they're going to do.

Capcom can be a miser (as with any big company, which is why they ignore the Wii U), meaning they may make moves you against your interests, but that doesn't make them illogical.

If Nintendo were to fund anything from Capcom, it would probably be Monster Hunter, which has an established fanbase on the Wii U and synergy with the 3DS's biggest Japanese title.

If Nintendo were to fund anything from Capcom, it would probably be Monster Hunter, which has an established fanbase on the Wii U and synergy with the 3DS's biggest Japanese title.

2016 is Resident Evils 20th anniversary... if I were Nintendo I'd be asking for an "anthology" collection of HD RE ports (including REMake and the Umbrella chronicles) with RE5 and 6s first appearance on a nintendo console (and maybe 7?)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Capcom can be a miser (as with any big company, which is why they ignore the Wii U), meaning they may make moves you against your interests, but that doesn't make them illogical.

No they can make illogical choice's Resident Evil 4 exclusive to the Gamecube is testament to this. Though they were smart enough to backtrack.

Riposte

No they can make illogical choice's Resident Evil 4 exclusive to the Gamecube is testament to this. Though they were smart enough to backtrack.

I don't know if that's relevant today, especially when it was directly reversed by the company at large, to Mikami's shame.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't know if that's relevant today, especially when it was directly reversed, to Mikami's shame.

The mere fact they did do it and continue to flirt with downright horrible ideas all around (The COO talking about possibilities of a p2w SF5). Implies otherwise.

Eolz

Ok so I decided to do a transcription/translation of the interesting passage. I'm french, and my english level is pretty good (imo).
Starts at ~8:12
J is Julien Chièze, the "journalist" (and co-founder) of Gameblog, and N is Nico A, the "leaker".

N- Me, I'd say, when you say there's no third party publisher, some from gameblog KNOW that I announced last december a WiiU exclusivity. There are four altogether, they announced the first one which is Devil's Third. Itagaki, the project didn't go well with the others, with THQ, all of that, they are on WiiU, that's official, there are 3 others that are coming, that will be announced in the year.

J- You know [about them]?

N- Yeah (laughs)

J- (big knowing smile) all right, come, this closes this video, stay on gameblog, we'll talk about things. Ok, come with me, what's this? Ciao, e3 #gameblog, you know about this now, ciao, ok what's this... NO, THAT'S ! NO ! (embarrassed laughter from Nico) No nonono ok come... What's this? This is...? (cut to Iwata/reggie fight)

So rewatching this, obviously gameblog is doing a bit too much to show the usual (read gameblog, etc), but there seems to be something behind this. Don't think they'll talk about it though.

sörine

Banned
I feel like Level 5 could be one of them. Hino dropped hints before about wanting to do Wii U games including stuff like mainline Professor Layton entries or Inazuma Eleven Online. Something like a full console Yo-Kai Watch running on that original demo engine could be a big get for Nintendo.

Porcile

Egh, at least his last rumour had a bit of substance. This is nothing. Nintendo announcing three games is fairly par for the course and he says 'in the year' but that's pretty out there and vague. This guy can basically say he 'knew' about them as they're announced.
I mean, I can tell you right now that Nintendo are going to announce three non-internally developed games which will be announced within a year or so. That's not hard, that's expected. If they announce two then he can say the other one isn't ready to be announced or something.

sörine

Banned
Egh, at least his last rumour had a bit of substance. This is nothing. Nintendo announcing three games is fairly par for the course and he says 'in the year' but that's pretty out there and vague. This guy can basically say he 'knew' about them as they're announced.
I mean, I can tell you right now that Nintendo are going to announce three non-internally developed games which will be announced within a year or so. That's not hard, that's expected. If they announce two then he can say the other one isn't ready to be announced or something.
It is vague and we probably already know about one being Fatal Frame from Tecmo Koei. But these announcements wouldn't only be externally developed, 3rd parties own the actual IPs like Bayonetta 2 (Sega) and Devil's Third (Valhalla). That's a little different from the usual outsourced 1st party projects (Nintendo owns IP) or from the collaboration projects (Mario & Sonic, Pokemon Conquest, Hyrule Warriors, SMTxFE).

's Third. Though fiction became reality, it's still reasonable that this was all a coincidence. Again, the guy hinting never explicitly said Devil's Third and was, to be frank, quite vague and unspecific about what the hot new exclusive would be.

Are you sure? Cause it's funny you bring this up. I was looking at older build of the game to see what everyone was talking about, and right there in the youtube comments, someone said the game was Wii U exclusive like 2 months ago.

Oh right, sorry they've neglected it so long, I'd forgotten. Scratch that and replace it with a new Tales entry.

Are you just lisitng third party franchises that you would want to see on the WiiU lol.

Theres a new Tales coming for the PS3 this year and after that the Tales series will be on PS4.

Nintendo clearly had some financial deal with Capcom hence the Capcom five. Capcom never intended to make RE4 exclusive so I don't see how this supports the argument of a DMC exclusive. Furthermore the WiiU is doing worse than the GC.
If Nintendo had a deal for the Capcom five and another recent deal for the MonsterHunter and stops Nintendo from having another deal with DMC if Nintendo wanted to?

Takao

Banned
I joke about Ni-Oh, but I can't imagine Koei Tecmo would want the game exclusive to Wii U. From the little we know about the game, it sounded like it was going to be a big thing for them that was always in some stage of development. Based on the crossover appeal with the Musou games, and the fact that they're not shying away from Musou releases on PS4, makes me think a natural home is elsewhere.

wildfire

Banned
If Nintendo had a deal for the Capcom five and another recent deal for the MonsterHunter and stops Nintendo from having another deal with DMC if Nintendo wanted to?

Capcom 5 was a failure.

Out of the five games, only one remained exclusive and one got cancelled. On top of that, Capcom specifically noted it wanted to pursue multi platform releases in the future:

(1) Platform Strategy
Firstly, we will follow the multi-platform strategy,
which involves supplying software titles to major
game consoles. With this in mind, we will, as a
general rule, carry out R&D for most prevailing
platforms in the market. We will thereby build an
efficient profit-making structure.
In the coming fiscal year, we will supply
“Resident Evil Outbreak” series for PS2, the
most widely-distributed platform, in addition to
“Viewtiful Joe 2” and “Killer Seven” for PS2 and
GC. Through these measures as well as others,
we will mitigate the increasing development
costs and strive to steadily improve profits.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/2004annual/Annual2004e.pdf#page22

Nintendo can want to do it for all they like. The decision is Capcoms and looking at what happened previously and the notable RE4 betrayal I think we all know where this is going.

Yagami_Sama

All of them would be former multi-platform games ? If so is very interesting. But there are too may options out there.
Straight Right said a long time ago that they have another Wii U project, but I don't know remember if it was a port or a new game. Suda said that if Nome Hero 3 exists it will be on Wii U, but he is probably busy doing his PS4 game.
Anyway is hard to guess,and I hope that all them s if should bet I, want to see No More Heroes 3, a new project from Mistwalker.

If this is true is very good for Nintendo, exclusive content for the platform is always nice, and mainly when you take from other platform.

Ok so I decided to do a transcription/translation of the interesting passage. I'm french, and my english level is pretty good (imo).
Starts at ~8:12
J is Julien Chièze, the "journalist" (and co-founder) of Gameblog, and N is Nico A, the "leaker".

So rewatching this, obviously gameblog is doing a bit too much to show the usual (read gameblog, etc), but there seems to be something behind this. Don't think they'll talk about it though.

Sweet, added to the OP. :)

Really appreciate it!

Astral Dog

While Platinum makes great mechanics for fighting games, I find their story and art direction bad.

Capcom can still do great DMC games if they put Hideaki Itsuno's team for it.

Also Capcom pulling a Capcom would be making another DmC -___-

Bayonetta's story and art direction are not really worse compared to the original DMC series, i find the art direction to be distinctively beautiful, and the story, while badly presented, is very detailed and more subtle than say, DmC, the soundtrack is much better than DmC too, just saying, i agree that DMC 5 should be made internally, but Platinum is a good choice too, even if its unlikely.
Platinum can make beautiful games when they want

Top Bottom