• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

Moodkip

AceBandage said:
The same rumor says they're working on an attachment.
You can't just pick and choose here...

It's from different source(s) according to the article, though.

Andrex said:
This information corroborates several elements we obtained very recently from various sources.(...)

Which is why I'm more inclined to believe in a revision.

KAL2006

Banned
Somnid said:
I'm thinking about the revision of Vita with a smaller screen.
Doubt that wl happen unlike psp. Ita has a touchscreen so games are optimized for a large screen size if they made a smaller revision many touchscreen based games could potentially be harder to play on a smallee screen as they were optimized for a large screen this is why a vita go cant happen as for 3ds a xl. Ersion is likely as dsxl was succesful also 3d would benefit from a large screen size

Sorry am on my iphone

Oppo

Gravijah said:
never buying another console day one ever again

Sorry for the response to a page 1 post, but... it appears some of you have seen the light.

It's NEVER worth it Day 1, of a new console. No matter how excited you are for it.

As for this rumour: I find it highly unlikely. If it is true, it's one of the biggest admissions of platform design failure in videogame history.

Somnid

KAL2006 said:
Doubt that wl happen unlike psp. Ita has a touchscreen so games are optimized for a large screen size if they made a smaller revision many touchscreen based games could potentially be harder to play on a smallee screen as they were optimized for a large screen this is why a vita go cant happen as for 3ds a xl. Ersion is likely as dsxl was succesful also 3d would benefit from a large screen size

This doesn't matter all that much. At worse it'd be like playing DS games on a 3DS in fixed res.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If there is going to be an add-on, why didn't they reveal it with the price drop?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I really hope this is true unlike damn near everything about 3DS this rumor makes a LOT of sense getting tired of pretending that the 3DS is a respectable platform
one day we'll look back and laugh at the foolishness that was the Nintendo 3DS

Sennorin

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The logical answer to me is that Nintendo is preparing a contingency in case the 3DS still underperforms over the next year.

A second analog stick wouldn´t save the 3DS if it still underperformed after the price cut.

RaijinFY

ShirAhava said:
I really hope this is true unlike damn near everything about 3DS this rumor makes a LOT of sense getting tired of pretending that the 3DS is a respectable platform

Loving that post!

Neiteio

Move the power button, add the second analog. Rename the system, though it is essentially the same otherwise. Maybe sleeker design, better battery.

Simultaneously release a second analog attachment for the old 3DS.

Bam! Just like releasing the MotionPlus as an attachment and then releasing the integrated Wii Remote Plus.

KAL2006

Banned
Somnid said:
This doesn't matter all that much. At worse it'd be like playing DS games on a 3DS in fixed res.
It would going from 5 inch to go sized screen would make many touch games un playable the size difference between ds and playing ds games in native res on 3ds is smaller also a stylus is more accurate than using fingers

Duxxy3

TAS said:
Seriously doubt Nintendo would be this sloppy. I'm calling BS.

If someone told me 2 months ago that the 3ds would get a 80 dollar/10000 yen price cut and that nintendo was going to give away 20 games for free i would call bullshit.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Neiteio said:
Bam! Just like releasing the MotionPlus as an attachment and then releasing the integrated Wii Remote Plus.
Because that got used a lot.

markot said:
Outside of oddballs (Left handed people) Why is another analog thingy that important >_<?
That's what I'm wondering... have a lot of people been demanding another analog stick?

I guess I will never understand why Nintendo is villainized for upgrading their handhelds (even just incrementally, and that is assuming this is anywhere near true, which it isn't) yearly or every other year while Apple gets people frothing at the mouth for even a taste of a rumor of what next year's iPod/iPhone/iPad will have. It is backwards and shows that it is more about the perception of the company rather that what is actually happening.

But if it is one thing I have learned from GAF and the gaming press in general these past half dozen months or so its that whatever Apple does is brilliant, the future, and the death of all others while whatever Nintendo does is stupid, backwards, and the beginning of the end of the company. Even when they do the same thing.

Somnid

KAL2006 said:
It would going from 5 inch to go sized screen would make many touch games un playable the size difference between ds and playing ds games in native res on 3ds is smaller also a stylus is more accurate than using fingers

Well then Vita's stupid because it's too big.

jj984jj said:
If there is going to be an add-on, why didn't they reveal it with the price drop?

Why would they? An add on would only exist to stop early adopters from missing out of the few games which needed the revision's right stick.
I'd be surprised if they went with a second stick though, seems more trouble than it's worth.

Neiteio said:
Move the power button, add the second analog. Rename the system, though it is essentially the same otherwise. Maybe sleeker design, better battery.

Simultaneously release a second analog attachment for the old 3DS.

No, no it isn't. At all.

MotionPlus didn't become the standard controller, the Remote Plus wasn't released for well over a year after MotionPlus, and Nintendo didn't attempt a complete rebranding of all Wii hardware and software as Wii Plus.

Angry Fork

gkryhewy said:
The prospect of a second stick *add-on* is so preposterous that this can't be anything other than FUD.
4m_ram.jpg

RAM extension is crazier than a 2nd analog stick imo.

KAL2006

Banned
I could see nintendo selling 3dless 3ds as a cheaper budget model similar to the new psp that has features stripped off it is obvious the autostereoscopic screen costs more than a standard screen so they can cut costs and lower the price even more of course they will continue to sell a 3d model too

Dartastic

ShockingAlberto said:
The logical answer to me is that Nintendo is preparing a contingency in case the 3DS still underperforms over the next year.
Avatar quote, blah blah blah. I really don't think this rumor is going to come to fruition.

ShockingAlberto said:
A contingency doesn't have to save it, it just has to stop the bleeding.

I don't even see how the rumored dual-analog redesign would do that. It'd be an utter trainwreck from a branding perspective, particularly with 3DS coming out of its first holiday season.

I just noticed the part of the article where it says the price drop was to liquidate old 3DS stock. In that case, wouldn't they not be resupplying new units?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Angry Fork said:
4m_ram.jpg

RAM extension is crazier than a 2nd analog stick imo.
Not really in the fact that there is a place for the RAM extension on the Nintendo 64. It is much harder to make a second analog stick that looks and feels good on the current 3DS.

Neiteio

Father_Brain said:
No, no it isn't. At all.

MotionPlus didn't become the standard controller, the Remote Plus wasn't released for well over a year after MotionPlus, and Nintendo didn't attempt a complete rebranding of all Wii hardware and software as Wii Plus.
I meant insofar as you can find both on the market. One doesn't phase out the other. Rather, they coexist, both available for purchase, so people who own the current 3DS aren't left with an obsolete product, since it's functionally upgraded by an attachment, while newcomers just buy the integrated, rebranded version.

Delio

ShirAhava said:

Man i bet you have been waiting years to dog on a Nintendo handheld :)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ShirAhava said:
Maybe one day we'll look back and laugh at the foolishness that was your post.

And today is that day.

ShockingAlberto said:
I just noticed the part of the article where it says the price drop was to liquidate old 3DS stock. In that case, wouldn't they not be resupplying new units?

There's a lot of things wrong with this rumor.

Boney

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The reason I don't think this makes sense is because the expressed reason to drop the 3DS price was to build up a base so third parties would put games on it. Third parties are apparently happy with this move, consumers are reacting well to the new price, software sales are up.

So..you undermine all that by cutting short the base to make something that is essentially incompatible with the system released a year prior? Huh?

This is almost exactly like the rumors that Nintendo was going to release a DS revision that removes the second screen and relaunch it as the Gameboy Next, with PSP graphics, a Gamecube disc slot, and whatever else that was about. And I'm willing to bet people believed that, too.

Actually, yeah, as I recall correctly, it was called the Gameboy Evolution, right?

Here were Joystiq's hot tips about the new Gameboy, designed to replace the DS, in 2005.
like.. why are you being so reasonable?

I say, rehashes for everybody!

Yagharek

JimWood27 said:
I guess I will never understand why Nintendo is villainized for upgrading their handhelds (even just incrementally, and that is assuming this is anywhere near true, which it isn't) yearly or every other year while Apple gets people frothing at the mouth for even a taste of a rumor of what next year's iPod/iPhone/iPad will have. It is backwards and shows that it is more about the perception of the company rather that what is actually happening.

But if it is one thing I have learned from GAF and the gaming press in general these past half dozen months or so its that whatever Apple does is brilliant, the future, and the death of all others while whatever Nintendo does is stupid, backwards, and the beginning of the end of the company. Even when they do the same thing.

Exactly.

Angry Fork

Fantastical said:
Not really in the fact that there is a place for the RAM extension on the Nintendo 64. It is much harder to make a second analog stick that looks and feels good on the current 3DS.
True enough, still though I wouldn't put it past Nintendo. I have a real strong feeling a lot of people here will be eating crow come next year. If Vita ends up bombing and 3DS gains traction then maybe they won't do anything but if it stays as it is (and Vita does well) I think Ninty will do this revision.

Red UFO said:
In all honesty, the Game Boy Evolution stuff wasn't THAT crazy, since Nintendo were pretty adamant they were going to have a 'three-pillar' system; where they would have a home console, a PSP-like handheld (that would have the Game Boy brand) and the Nintendo DS for CRAZY SHIT. It was only after the DS sold like crazy they abandoned that idea.
Third pillar was just a PR safety net in case Nintendo had another Virtual Boy on their hands. It was done away with long before DS was out of the woods too.

Neiteio said:
Rather, they coexist, both available for purchase, so people who own the current 3DS aren't left with an obsolete product, since it's functionally upgraded by an attachment, while newcomers just buy the integrated, rebranded version.

But they couldn't coexist, not from a branding perspective. Not if the main reason for the rebranding was to downplay autostereoscopic 3D. If that were really Nintendo's goal, as the rumor suggests, they'd want to bury the 3DS branding ASAP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eteric Rice said:
It's like the media is actively trying to kill the 3DS.

The Marios are coming in like, a few months ffs.

Was the same way with the DS really.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Angry Fork said:
True enough, still though I wouldn't put it past Nintendo. I have a real strong feeling a lot of people here will be eating crow come next year. If Vita ends up bombing and 3DS gains traction then maybe they won't do anything but if it stays as it is (and Vita does well) I think Ninty will do this revision.
Will Vita do well because it has a second analog stick? I don't really understand how a second analog stick is going to save the system...

jman2050

Angry Fork said:

Nobody is saying Nintendo won't do a revision at some point.

Just not this one.

ShockingAlberto said:
Nothing about the rumor makes sense. Its just fearmongering and attention whoring by 01net.

KAL2006

Banned
Somnid said:
Well then Vita's stupid because it's too big.
What? Bigger screen is better than a smaller screen just ask the ds xl buyers a small screen is nice on ds because many games were 2d but for full 3d games like oot mgs3 mario3d i prefer a bigger screen so i can see the detailed expansive 3d enviroments plus the stereo 3d wojld have been nicer on a bigger screen

Top Bottom