• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: A new Splinter Cell could be in development

I found this on Reddit

We inform you exclusively that a new Splinter Cell could be in development , according to the web Justia. E3 is just around the corner and it may be that Ubisoft chimes announcing the expected continuation of the Tom Clancy saga.

The web Justia collects a list of all the trademarks, offering data related to its activity, state of the licenses and services offered by these brands. And within the category of Splinter Cell we can observe a new license , which belongs to the company Ubisoft Entertainment. The registration date is very recent: May 28, 2017.

In the description of the tab we can see that some of the categories recorded are video games or eSports. It should also be noted that the only two movements to date have referred to the admission to processing of that registry. That is, Ubisoft has not renewed the Splinter Cell brand ( as it did with Microsoft and Scalebound ) for some subject related to its license, but has registered a new brand that bears the same name.

The Tom Clancy saga has been a very prolific saga for Ubisoft and has had representation practically every year. The last game in the series, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands , has been incredibly well received by the public. Although this title will continue to receive updates, the truth is that the saga of Tom Clancy that more ballots have to offer a new title, leaving aside Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six, is certainly Splinter Cell.

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist came out in 2013 , leaving an incredible taste to the public and critical. The game was praised for its history and gameplay, as well as for returning us to the purest Splinter Cell.

At the moment nothing is confirmed nor Ubisoft has officially pronounced about it.Even so, it’s time for Ubisoft to give us the purest stealth of Sam Fisher’s hand. And maybe this E3 has that luck.

http://www.somosxbox.com/en/new-splinter-cell-could-be-in-development-exclusive/744473

iMax

FWIW, trademarks for Splinter Cell were filed a couple weeks ago.

Never mind...

Still, it's pretty common for companies to renew trademarks at seemingly random times. Renewals for Ghost Recon and The Division were also filed at the same time as this, I believe.

A Splinter Cell inspired by games like MGSV and Dishonored is probably my current dream game. Hope we can get something like that! I can see it, looking at the philosophy and gameplay of Wildlands (and Ubisoft as a whole)

Hope they reboot it at this point. I know that Blacklist basically did that already, but at this point I wish they just ditch Sam Fisher all together.
Either that or go the prequel route and make him way younger (instead of just sorta de-aging him like in Blacklist).

Actually, a prequel set in the Cold War or something would be pretty rad, now that I think about it. That era seems like it would be perfect Splinter Cell material. Go to Russia, Vietnam, Cuba, etc.

Is this the Jade Raymond game?

Nah.
giphy.gif

Is this the Jade Raymond game?
Jade Raymond is at Ubisoft as well as EA? I thought she was just at EA? If at both, then wow, she's working a lot then.

I really hope that there is a new Splinter Cell and the SC1 and Chaos Theory lead dev, Clint Hocking, is working on it. I would pay $1000 for a SC to be like Chaos Theory.

use blacklist as a base/reference. make the levels bigger. sprinkle in hitman-like emergent gameplay scenarios. make it episodic with updates like hitman as well. profit

UBI pls

DrSlek

A Splinter Cell inspired by games like MGSV and Dishonored is probably my current dream game. Hope we can get something like that! I can see it, looking at the philosophy and gameplay of Wildlands (and Ubisoft as a whole)
I think they should make a Splinter Cell game inspired by Chaos Theory.

A new Splinter Cell would be nice but I don't know how it well it would work as a games a service type game that Ubisoft seems most interested in. If they do make a new one I hope a new protagonist is introduced. Sam Fisher isn't the same without Ironside and the character would be like 70 years old.

theWB27

Hope they reboot it at this point. I know that Blacklist basically did that already, but at this point I wish they just ditch Sam Fisher all together.
Either that or go the prequel route and make him way younger (instead of just sorta de-aging him like in Blacklist).

Actually, a prequel set in the Cold War or something would be pretty rad, now that I think about it. That era seems like it would be perfect Splinter Cell material. Go to Russia, Vietnam, Cuba, etc.

Its amazing how much i came around to this post as i read on.

Sam Fisher prequel. I could see that happening.

A Splinter Cell with a more open level design in the vein of Dishonored is, like, my dream game.
Would Splinter Cell work well in that mold? The Splinter Cell fantasy is being the special agent spy creeping into facilities and buildings, usually under the cover of darkness, being inches from enemies without them ever knowing and getting in and out like a ghost. A modern day ninja. The smaller tighter levels and interiors suit that; MGS's and Dishonored's larger sandboxes seem at odds with that. I'd prefer Splinter Cell smaller, not larger. If we must go that route, Ground Zeroes should be the inspiration, not MGSV proper or Dishonored

Would Splinter Cell work well in that mold? The Splinter Cell fantasy is being the special agent spy creeping into facilities and buildings, usually under the cover of darkness, being inches from enemies without them ever knowing and getting in and out like a ghost. A modern day ninja. The smaller tighter levels and interiors suit that; MGS's and Dishonored's larger sandboxes seem at odds with that. I'd prefer Splinter Cell smaller, not larger.

Dishonored has plenty of open courtyards and spaces, but also lots of tightly contained buildings that can be infiltrated from any number of angles. That's what I would like Splinter Cell to take inspiration from. I haven't played the more recent games in the series, but earlier Splinter Cell games where a bit more linear in their level design in comparison, for the most part.

Like, as an example I'm imagining stuff like the Paris level in the new Hitman game that could be infiltrated from a dozen different ways.

Dishonored has plenty of open courtyards and spaces, but also lots of tightly contained buildings that can be infiltrated from any number of angles. That's what I would like Splinter Cell to take inspiration from. I haven't played the more recent games in the series, but earlier Splinter Cell games where a bit more linear in their level design in comparison, for the most part.
Chaos Theory had a nice balance; enough freedom to feel like you were actually infiltrating while small and linear enough to keep you close to guards and keep the stealth focused

theWB27

Haha, right?

I usually hate prequels so I was just saying what usually happens with series' like this, but a Splinter Cell set in the past could be really, really cool.

Ironside groveling to some soviets.... I'm down.

Splinter cell absolutely doesn't need big spaces.

Zeta Oni

Would Splinter Cell work well in that mold? The Splinter Cell fantasy is being the special agent spy creeping into facilities and buildings, usually under the cover of darkness, being inches from enemies without them ever knowing and getting in and out like a ghost. A modern day ninja. The smaller tighter levels and interiors suit that; MGS's and Dishonored's larger sandboxes seem at odds with that. I'd prefer Splinter Cell smaller, not larger.

Why not something in the middle?

I think most MGS fans can at least agree Ground Zeroes was very good, and that's what id like to see a new Splinter Cell go in the direction of. Not open world, but larger and densely packed levels with multiple routes, options/tactics, and objectives compared to the newer installments like Blacklist.

Joeku

Has anyone nailed down what Ubi Toronto has been doing since Blacklist? Surely like most Ubisoft studios they assisted on some projects but they haven't headlined anything since then, right?

Why not something in the middle?

I think most MGS fans can at least agree Ground Zeroes was very good, and that's what id like to see a new Splinter Cell go in the direction of. Not open world, but larger and densely packed levels with multiple routes, options/tactics, and objectives compared to the newer installments like Blacklist.

For as much as I wish MGSV itself was just like six Ground Zeroes connected with cutscenes, yeah, this would work. Splinter Cell has no place going full-on open world, though.

I hope they introduce a new main character and have Sam be put in a Lambert-like leadership position. Dude has been at the edge of retirement since the first game and they've shown that they can make it work without Sam in the Conviction co-op campaign.

This would also let them bring back Michael Ironside

Top Bottom