• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumor* A remaster of Mortal Kombat Trilogy (or another fighting game) could be released in 2019 for Xbox, PS4, PC, Switch..

Arkage

Banned
Even though I only ever really got into MK1 on Genesis... I might buy it. Especially on switch.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This would be awesome. A bug-fixed no loading version of the ps1 game would be amazing. Easily the best MK before MK9

Fox Mulder

The simple Arcade Kollection last gen was supposed to be a bigger scope HD remaster with redone sprites and backgrounds. Makes sense to try it again.

If not, maybe it'll be random like ClayFighter, ClayFighter 2: Judgment Clay, and ClayFighter: Sculptor's Cut.

nkarafo

I want this:

scorpion-mortal-kombat-animated-gif-4.gif

VS

1496655174721.gif

More (look for more characters): https://gabrielmelendez.weebly.com/raiden.html

The key here is more animation frames. Unlike the SF2 remaster that had super high-res sprites but the same animation frames.

Last edited:
Im not sure either. I remeber about 4 years ago Boon said they tried out to make an MK same as the first 3 with live action actors in front of green screen. But ultimately it was just too sharp and lost that digital/cartoony feel, just looked too polished so they backed out of the idea.

I really dont know how you remaster a digitally filmed performance of a camera from 1992 unless you do it all over again today but with new actors. Im super excited but at the same time, confused how they will achieve this.

HeresJohnny

It’s been a while but I remember MK Trilogy being super buggy with a ridiculously cheap AI. Seriously, I played a bunch of MK at that time and the usual curve of Easy, Medium, or Hard didn’t apply; MKT’s default difficulty should’ve been called “Sodomize.”

dirthead

Banned
I want this:

scorpion-mortal-kombat-animated-gif-4.gif

VS

1496655174721.gif

More (look for more characters): https://gabrielmelendez.weebly.com/raiden.html

The key here is more animation frames. Unlike the SF2 remaster that had super high-res sprites but the same animation frames.

I don't know. The frames dictate the feel of the gameplay. It won't be right.

If you want to remaster something, the only way to go is the Sonic Mania route. Same aesthetic, same style, just support new hardware.

A 21:9, 16:9 etc. version of Mortal Kombat 1-3 would be neat.

nkarafo

It will, see the other gifs in the site. The attacks are just as fast, the only difference is that there are more different frames in-between. The original MK games also used those frames (they run at 60fps) but instead of many different frames it had tons of repeated ones. It's the same thing, just replace the repeated frames with new ones.

Example:

4314607_orig.gif

As long as they can keep the input lag low, it should feel right.

Last edited:

Solo Act

Mortal Kombat Trilogy on Switch with higher resolution graphics, better balanced gameplay, and the one-button finishing move cheat is probably the fighting game experience that I want the most.

Wonko_C

If you want to remaster something, the only way to go is the Sonic Mania route. Same aesthetic, same style, just support new hardware.

A 21:9, 16:9 etc. version of Mortal Kombat 1-3 would be neat.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy on Switch with higher resolution graphics, better balanced gameplay, and the one-button finishing move cheat is probably the fighting game experience that I want the most.

OH boy do I have the game for you :D

dirthead

Banned
It will, see the other gifs in the site. The attacks are just as fast, the only difference is that there are more different frames in-between. The original MK games also used those frames (they run at 60fps) but instead of many different frames it had tons of repeated ones. It's the same thing, just replace the repeated frames with new ones.

Example:

4314607_orig.gif

As long as they can keep the input lag low, it should feel right.

See, to me, that looks/feels wrong. I like the snappiness of the lower frame count.

Mr Hyde

I own MK Trilogy on PSX. Would love to see a remaster of it on current gen since I have packed up the PS and all the games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MK Trilogy was phenomenal in the roster department, but horrible in execution.

It felt like a low effort fan made mod pieced together so a lot of the transitions and sounds were just abrupt and really buggy. Also the animation seemed to be stiff and halved compared to the stand alone games. But if they did one in 2D sprite-like again, with effort put in, that would be a nostalgic tickle I would bite on, and I never play fighting games like I used to when I was younger/High School.

This fan made Mortal Kombat project here however is very well done:

Mortal Kombat Project 4.1: Season 2.9 is perhaps the best free MUGEN MK game to date

Last edited:
No guys, it's not Mortal Kombat Trilogy. It's the Trilogy of Mortal Kombat, the mk1 mk2 and mk3U.
Would be nice, actually because of mk11 hype and just download a emulator to play 2

JimmyJones

Banned
Please allah let this be real! MK Trilogy was one of my favourite games as a kid, broken or not. MK9 was awesome as well but then they fucked up MKX and MK11. I'll play the shit out of this if it turns out to be real.

JimiNutz

Banned
MK9 was my favourite. I'd take a remake of that so that I could have a new MK Trilogy all on one console (9, X, 11)

mcjmetroid

Only the best please, MK II.

Ah come on now MKIII was a very good game too.
It originally lacked the characters as appealing as II but Ultimate Mortal Kombat III fixed that.

Trilogy combines all of the games together. So it's win win
Unless you REALLY hate the running mechanic.

mcjmetroid

Wasn't Trilogy considered bad even back then? I think Ultimate MK3 was the last considered awesome game in the series at the time. If not 2.

Those look bad...

I think one of the ports was dreadful alright maybe the 64 one? On the PS1 it was fantastic though and Trilogy was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with the 4 big boss characters playable. The boss characters were stupidly powerful but they were just a novelty.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think one of the ports was dreadful alright maybe the 64 one? On the PS1 it was fantastic though and Trilogy was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with the 4 big boss characters playable. The boss characters were stupidly powerful but they were just a novelty.

The N64 did have some compromises but no loading times at all was a HUGE plus.

mcjmetroid

No guys, it's not Mortal Kombat Trilogy. It's the Trilogy of Mortal Kombat, the mk1 mk2 and mk3U.
Would be nice, actually because of mk11 hype and just download a emulator to play 2

yes it's important to think of this as the "Smash Bros Ultimate" of the first 3 Mortal Kombat games

GermanZepp

Yeah! I want it! I find modern fighting games awesome but too complex to master for someone with my time available. So this old school MK is very welcomed if plays like.. lets say... UMK3.

mcjmetroid

Yeah! I want it! I find modern fighting games awesome but too complex to master for someone with my time available. So this old school MK is very welcomed if plays like.. lets say... UMK3.

I'm not entirely sure how the later Mortal Kombat games play. I've played them, enjoyed them but I'm not sure if what I'm about to say has been changed already but:

I'd like Fatalities far easier to pull off and especially the stage fatalities. That would be the only thing I'd change.

GermanZepp

I'm not entirely sure how the later Mortal Kombat games play. I've played them, enjoyed them but I'm not sure if what I'm about to say has been changed already but:

I'd like Fatalities far easier to pull off and especially the stage fatalities. That would be the only thing I'd change.

Well, in later entries each character has like 2 or 3, differents styles or variations of combat wich, by itself adds a layer that must be mastered if you want to pvp.

Top Bottom