• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Another Xbox Franchise Getting the "Master Chief Collection" Treatment (hint: Gears of War)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is nothing I want more from xbox than Gears 1,2,3 on PC (1 already is but not the best version and ultimate sucks ass)... sadly, I wanted them on steam and not on sub service.. but alas.
edit: As I said - 1 is on pc but the old version is gfwl, lacks some lighting pass and they added that atrocious, pace breaking brumak level... I never liked it. The ultimate version is just terrible. It runs like crap even on 3080, footsteps sound like earthquakes and it just is wrong

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
still, it took almost the entire console generation to get there. and it still isn't perfect. there are still missing effects in Halo 1 and 2 classic

This is irrelevant. The comparison to the MCC is strictly about the scope.

My personal opinion is that Given that they went far and beyond the initial promise and added Reach + 4K remasters, added content, custom browser etc, anyone wailing about a few missing effects from classic Halo 1 & 2 is a clown.

Although I agree this is not necessary and all, Microsoft have got plenty money and they've probably got a 3rd party working on it and not the Coalition so let it happen.

Ozriel

M$FT
Although I agree this is not necessary and all, Microsoft have got plenty money and they've probably got a 3rd party working on it and not the Coalition so let it happen.

Yeah. It’s not crazy necessary, but it’s probably some easy money since Gears is Unreal Engine and hence not so difficult a codebase to work with. An easier sell to PC folks.

There is nothing I want more from xbox than Gears 1,2,3 on PC (1 already is but not the best version and ultimate sucks ass)... sadly, I wanted them on steam and not on sub service.. but alas.

What are you on about with ‘alas’? any new game will be on Steam.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah. It’s not crazy necessary, but it’s probably some easy money since Gears is Unreal Engine and hence not so difficult a codebase to work with. An easier sell to PC folks.

What are you on about with ‘alas’? any new game will be on Steam.
Arent the steam versions just xbox app (gamepass app) launcher?

Ozriel

M$FT
Arent the steam versions just xbox app (gamepass app) launcher?

You’re a PC gamer with a 3080 and you don’t know much about games on Steam?

Why would the Steam versions be ‘Gamepass app launchers’?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
This might be what The Coalition are using as a test for UE5 which would make sense to me, it would be interesting to see what sort of structure they could come up with the multiplayer if they could combine it all into one product.

anthony2690

Banned
I really hope this isn't true, you can play gears 1, 2, 3 in 4k 60fps.
I would be very disappointed if they waste resources on this.
I didn't buy a new console to replay games that still hold up.

The only benefit I can see to this is a pc release?

But even then, I would rather they remake a collection of games that do not hold up or could really do with a remake.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You’re a PC gamer with a 3080 and you don’t know much about games on Steam?

Why would the Steam versions be ‘Gamepass app launchers’?
I have 600 games on steam ...
I just avoid the games which need separate launchers. If I must get them, it's better in the direct launcher.
It's not so weird for games to require separate launcher or account like xbox gamer profile account

Chukhopops

Would actually be amazing if they redid some of the old games with the Gears 5 engine. But I think it’s going to be just some basic improvements from the 360 games with a PC port.

If they add some PVE playlists with previous horde modes I’d be up for it.

Goalus

I really hope this isn't true, you can play gears 1, 2, 3 in 4k 60fps.
I would be very disappointed if they waste resources on this.
I didn't buy a new console to replay games that still hold up.

The only benefit I can see to this is a pc release?

But even then, I would rather they remake a collection of games that do not hold up or could really do with a remake.
The other benefit would be that Judgment would finally get a resolution boost.

NinjaBoiX

That would be licensing hell
The thing is, don’t they have licenses with most of the manufacturers for their current games? Presumably the licenses aren’t per vehicle, and surely there could be a clause in the deal that says it works retroactively too.

It’s just such a shame when some legal small print means they need to pull games from the shelves, popular games that people have spent a lot of time and love making.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Lets get both, fuck it im greedy. G1 has already had a makeover, smash that to 4k/60, G2&3 need the same treatment and then that sorted for PC aswell. 4&5 dont need much if anything doing to them at all.
Doing a Fable collection would be a good way to build hype for the new game aswell.

Roxkis_ii

Hey bro, we heard you like gears, so we put more gear in your gears!

Not my taste, but congrats to anyone excited.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just so long as they don't try to "reimagine" the earlier titles in the current engine.

It's weird seeing them side by side now.

The Alien

Banned
If it is Gears, id welcome it if they remastered the maps from 1-3 using gameplay from 5.

I see people questioning why it would be Gears since the BC titles still look good and they just got a boost.....so likely would be Gears since 2 and 3 are not available on PC even through GamePass. So likely a cheap opportunity to expose more players to the games/franchise.

So by master chief collection type thing they mean , the game won't work for 2 3 years?
I'm pretty sure gears 3 was 1440p 60 fps in the last fps boosted titles and gears trilogy is really not needed

VN1X

Banned
waste of time and money, you can just play the originals through bc.
Lol MCC means that actual work would have been put in.

Remember you can swap between fancy and original visuals on the fly. A super cool feature which I hope this rumor would be hinting to as well.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Would be interesting to see the different gears games multiplayer as each one is very different in terms of balancing, maps, etc.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
anything other than Gears or Halo (maybe Age of Empire) wouldn't really make sense.

therefore it will be Midtown Madness 1-3

chaseroni

As others have said, this makes sense from a PC perspective. No way to play 2 3 or judgement without emulation.
I'm all for native PC ports, bring it.
Bring Fable 2 also...

Topher

Gold Member
tKSU159.png

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

YuLY

While him doubling down on it, kinda gives some credence to it...he keeps saying some things that never seem to appear. He also said like 1year and a half ago that a Mandalorian game is in development and even to this day we know nothing about such a thing, no other leaker , rumors or anything.

It would make sense for this collection to exist, especially since we need some of these missing games on PC, but dunno man, Nick is kind of a hack.

Top Bottom