• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Another Xbox Franchise Getting the "Master Chief Collection" Treatment (hint: Gears of War)

While him doubling down on it, kinda gives some credence to it...he keeps saying some things that never seem to appear. He also said like 1year and a half ago that a Mandalorian game is in development and even to this day we know nothing about such a thing, no other leaker , rumors or anything.

It would make sense for this collection to exist, especially since we need some of these missing games on PC, but dunno man, Nick is kind of a hack.

He also said a new Sly Cooper and Infamous game was deep in development, until Bend Studio said it was a lie. He’s been caught straight up lying on multiple occassions i dont understand why anyone believes anything he says.

He’s just throwing out vague shit to generate traffic to his shitty podcast in hopes that people eventually forget or it never gets confirmed

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gears is such a waste. The original game was already remastered once, we don’t need it done a second time.

Fable would be the way smarter series to remake. Plus it would bring Fable back into people’s minds ahead of the next installment.

I replayed all the Gears games when I got the Series X. To be honest, the later games kind of suck. It’s the same tired formula again and again. Judgement changed things up a little. So did 4 and 5, those were actually not too bad. But those 360 sequels, yuck. Tactics was great.

As others have said, Fable would be better imho.

Naked Lunch

I simply dont understand people calling this a waste.
If its like the MCC, it puts all the multiplayers (and coop campaigns) into one giant pool.
You select which game you want to play (1 or all) and it finds a match. To do this otherwise youde have to keep switching games.
Plus this game would have a guaranteed populated community in all GOWs for years and years. Halo MCC is more populated now (9 years later!) than ever - and will likely be played for as long as its still accessible.

Pretty common sense stuff.

Sounds like an excellent idea as long as they don't give it to another developer like 343 Industries who made a complete mess of the Halo: Master Chief Collection and then spent YEARS fixing the numerous issues with the games.

Chukhopops

I’m excited for Gears but secretly I hope it’s Fable, they need to be modernized a little bit but they are great (except 3 which isn’t as good).

If it’s Gears, give me a Horde playlist merging Horde modes and I’ll be set for months.

Chukhopops

Sounds like an excellent idea as long as they don't give it to another developer like 343 Industries who made a complete mess of the Halo: Master Chief Collection and then spent YEARS fixing the numerous issues with the games.
The truth is MCC was actually given to plenty of different studios:
Combat Evolved Anniversary is based on the high-definition remaster of the original game released in 2011 for Xbox 360.[4] Kinect features from the Xbox 360 version are not supported in the Xbox One collection.[11] Stereoscopic 3D features from the Xbox 360 version are not supported in the Xbox One collection.[13] Ruffian Games was responsible for developing the Halo 3 and Halo 4 ports.[14] Halo 3and Halo 4 received only a simple lighting upgrade, and an increase in both frame rate and renderingresolution.[4] 343 Industries designed the interfaces and online networking. United Front Games worked on the unified interface that works across all games.
In the end the blame is on 343 since they were leading, but being a PO in real life I can’t imagine the fucking mess it must have been to coordinate.

cireza

Banned
Remaking 3 or 4 games (that were all ambitious at their time) is a tremendous effort, especially with online components to them.
Halo MCC ended up being a great collection, but it generated a ton of work for MS and 343.

The first Gears already had a remaster I believe. Maybe they should simply do the second game and later the third. More reasonable.

Foilz

Banned
I want another rare collection but for all of the first games . Gears 1, halo 1, jet force Gemini, Kameo, fable 1, and a few other classics like brute force

Rykan

Gears is such a waste. The original game was already remastered once, we don’t need it done a second time.

Fable would be the way smarter series to remake. Plus it would bring Fable back into people’s minds ahead of the next installment.
They're probably not going to remake all of them.

MCC had the remake of Halo 1 that was done prior on the Xbox 360, Halo 2 was remade specifically for the collection and all other games were released as is with framerate and resolution enhancements. Oh and broken matchmaking, but that's besides the point.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I want another rare collection but for all of the first games . Gears 1, halo 1, jet force Gemini, Kameo, fable 1, and a few other classics like brute force
disappointed disbelief GIF

Roufianos

Gears is a lot more popular and better. Fable would be the waste.

Muay Ninja

Gears 3 multiplayer was probably some of the most fun I played, especially horde. I'd totally be down for a remaster with the updated Unreal engine.

Fingers crossed. I enjoyed Gears 1-3 a lot. I played through the original GoW on PC recently and while a lot of the graphical effects have aged horribly--the game has shit-tier bloom beyond 10 feet in front of your character--the gameplay is still a ton of fun and the art style is good.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Too little too late. I already played 2 3 and judgement on xcloud. Xcloud versions run at high resolutions and 60 fps.
And if the PC ports run as well as gears ultimate... good riddance.

Naked Lunch

Better?

Gears is an outdated, mindless shooter that needs to be put out to pasture. Fable has some meat on it.
Dude seriously, what are you even talking about? Does Fable even have multiplayer? Have you even played the MCC?

The core idea of MCC is to group all the series' multiplayer into one playlist. All maps, all modes, all games. The inclusion of the campaigns are just a bonus and easier way to play online coop.
This concept works perfectly for Gears (as a multiplayer title) - not Fable.
I guess you are looking for a Fable HD collection or something.

I wish more game series took the MCC approach. Something like Battlefield would be amazing. 1942, Nam, BCs, 2, 3, 4, 5, all in one game. Quakes, Team Fortresses. We need more MCC templates for other game series.

Last edited:
Interested if it meant the GOW Ultimate Edition on PC was fixed, last I tried that thing refused to run at a smooth framerate even if you drop all the way below 720p :messenger_grinning_sweat:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dude seriously, what are you even talking about? Does Fable even have multiplayer? Have you even played the MCC?

The core idea of MCC is to group all the series' multiplayer into one playlist. All maps, all modes, all games. The inclusion of the campaigns are just a bonus and easier way to play online coop.
This concept works perfectly for Gears (as a multiplayer title) - not Fable.
I guess you are looking for a Fable HD collection or something.

I wish more game series took the MCC approach. Something like Battlefield would be amazing. 1942, Nam, BCs, 2, 3, 4, 5, all in one game. Quakes, Team Fortresses. We need more MCC templates for other game series.

I’m more of a single player gamer, so for me MCC was about getting all the campaigns together. Multiplayer was a disaster from the start, and eventually kicked to the curb for Infinite.

Gears multiplayer…not sure how much of a fanbase there is, but multiplayer GaaS titles are a dime a dozen. So I don’t see the benefit to redoing Gears, which doesn’t need a refresh.

What’s not a dime a dozen are single player focused adventure games - something Microsoft sorely lacks. Fable fills that void, has been absent for years, and has a new game in development.

Makes far more sense to me to go with Fable. We’re going to have yo agree to disagree on this one.

I do like the idea of getting multiplayer focused collections of past games, all in one package. I don’t think we’ll see such a thing, but it’s a great idea. I don’t get why Activision never did this with CoD. I think it would be a massive hit.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I’m more of a single player gamer, so for me MCC was about getting all the campaigns together. Multiplayer was a disaster from the start, and eventually kicked to the curb for Infinite.

Gears multiplayer…not sure how much of a fanbase there is, but multiplayer GaaS titles are a dime a dozen. So I don’t see the benefit to redoing Gears, which doesn’t need a refresh.

I do like the idea of getting multiplayer focused collections of past games, all in one package. I don’t think we’ll see such a thing, but it’s a great idea. I don’t get why Activision never did this with CoD. I think it would be a massive hit.
I hear you about single player - and thats fair and valid. But this thread is about Gears 'getting the MCC treatment'.

'The MCC treatment' to me is, as you say, "the idea of getting multiplayer focused collections of past games, all in one package." Thats exactly what the MCC is.
I havent followed every post in this thread to see the rumors of the Gears version - but in my eyes that is the essence of Halo MCC.

Which is why when you say:
I don’t think we’ll see such a thing, but it’s a great idea. I don’t get why Activision never did this with CoD. I think it would be a massive hit.
I really dont understand what you mean. Thats what the MCC is and hopefully carries over to the Gears series.

Gears MP still has a ton of fans - and its fanbase is kind of split between titles. Many preferring the shotgun mechanics of the first games. Gears still plays unique to the GaaS games on the market. Your post sounds highly dismissive of multiplayer games.

You also mention that:
[Halo MCC] Multiplayer was a disaster from the start, and eventually kicked to the curb for Infinite.

This is simply untrue. It took years to fix but the MCC's multiplayer - and it was unacceptable - but the past is past. The MCC (eventually) was fixed and expanded around 2018/19 or so. Even allowing you to choose exactly what you want to play, custom browsers, unlockables, even new Halo 3 maps - these were huge improvements.
And the MCC STILL gets updates today - post the release of Infinite - mostly focusing on the mp end. Im pretty sure the MCC currently has a bigger playerbase than Infinite.

Again, a simple Fable HD Collection sounds like it would suffice for you - not 'the MCC treatment'.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Better?

Gears is an outdated, mindless shooter that needs to be put out to pasture. Fable has some meat on it.
IDK about fable but if anything we need more mindless action games these days... There are too many "deep and emotionally investing" slow games these days...

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I hope it is the Otogi Trilogy. Yes, including the long, lost "Otogi 3", which was accidentally stored in a garage, years ago.

Top Bottom