• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Apple is currently discussing internally to re-enter the gaming console market

WitchHunter

Banned

Megacorporation with an oversized 200B cashdick that knocks everything off the shelves thinking about another sector to buttfuck and zombify its potential customers.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Even though they have the performant hardware I wouldn't be surprised if it was some half-assed attempt to get "gaming everywhere" via streaming from iPhone, AppleTV, etc. as value added for their subscription (which they'll raise the prices of thereafter).

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think they could pull it off if they make a new Apple TV to go with it like XsS that can play the same games for $150.
While also being compatible with newer iPhones and iPads.

They really just need a dock and to get actual games people want to play.

After giving this some thought Apple could definitely enter the gaming market. They could purchase WB Games and UBISOFT in cash and put real money behind future IPs from both developers. I know the Guillemot family is desperately trying to secure funding to buy UBISOFT.

However I wonder if they can turn the company around since talent has been bailing for years now. I still cannot believe that Embracer acquired all those IPs for 300M. That means that Apple could have purchased SE West, WB Games and UBISOFT in one transaction.

Though who knows at this point because Apple joined up with Sony to make an EV.

Interfectum

After giving this some thought Apple could definitely enter the gaming market. They could purchase WB Games and UBISOFT in cash and put real money behind future IPs from both developers. I know the Guillemot family is desperately trying to secure funding to buy UBISOFT.

However I wonder if they can turn the company around since talent has been bailing for years now. I still cannot believe that Embracer acquired all those IPs for 300M. That means that Apple could have purchased SE West, WB Games and UBISOFT in one transaction.

Though who knows at this point because Apple joined up with Sony to make an EV.
Apple would most likely go big for their Apple One content. They could just buy WB and have exclusive access to that IP across multiple mediums.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is not much Apple can do to get me interested in a potential Apple console or gaming service, but this would surely do it for me.
Nintendo fits pretty well with Apple since their content is family friendly, might as well buy Disney too while they're at it. lol
I actually think Apple would consider buying Netflix

Kilau

Gold Member
Megacorporation with an oversized 200B cashdick that knocks everything off the shelves thinking about another sector to buttfuck and zombify its potential customers.
200.gif

Deerock71

Did you know if you hold the top and bottom of your tongue with your thumb and [PICK_A_FINGER], you'll say 'asshole'?

For Apple to make a serious play into the console space, they would HAVE to buy a couple of major publishers and immediately make their games exclusive.

You're not going to jump into the console space as it exists today and produce Nintendo quality IP from scratch and bring in specific gamers.

Your best bet is to expand the Apple TV/Macbook/iOS gaming environment and present it as a unified way to play highly desired games.

To not have purchased Crystal Dynamics makes me feel like they aren't that seriously interested in getting into this space.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
For Apple to make a serious play into the console space, they would HAVE to buy a couple of major publishers and immediately make their games exclusive.

You're not going to jump into the console space as it exists today and produce Nintendo quality IP from scratch and bring in specific gamers.

Your best bet is to expand the Apple TV/Macbook/iOS gaming environment and present it as a unified way to play highly desired games.

To not have purchased Crystal Dynamics makes me feel like they aren't that seriously interested in getting into this space.
They would have to do that for sure but it's something they could do easily. They can buy basically anyone they want (or anyone that wants to be sold). If Apple are serious about gaming they will become a huge player real quick. They could, in just the space of a few years or a single gaming generation, become serious rivals with Sony or Microsoft. I'd even go as far to say that they would knock one of them out their place. All I'll say is that MS is the one with similar spending power as Apple. Of course, it would all depend on what publishers/games Apple acquires.

They would have to do that for sure but it's something they could do easily. They can buy basically anyone they want (or anyone that wants to be sold). If Apple are serious about gaming they will become a huge player real quick. They could, in just the space of a few years or a single gaming generation, become serious rivals with Sony or Microsoft. I'd even go as far to say that they would knock one of them out their place. All I'll say is that MS is the one with similar spending power as Apple. Of course, it would all depend on what publishers/games Apple acquires.

I mean you could say the same thing about Apple TV+ but that just isn't the case.

Money isn't the only barrier to entry here.

I'd suggest for Apple to get significant market share in the short run they'd have to buy a large number of companies including large entities like EA. So much that they might not pass regulatory agencies.

Interfectum

Good luck. Not even the ghost of Ashton kutcher can make you "win".
I feel like people looking for Apple to enter the console war will be disappointed. They will continue to invest in the Apple One subscription to hook as many Apple customers as they can.

They'll most likely keep pumping some money into Apple Arcade, tossing in surprise exclusives here and there to raise eyebrows and keep building on it. One thing is for sure, they will not "win" any console war because that isn't their end game at all.

I feel like people looking for Apple to enter the console war will be disappointed. They will continue to invest in the Apple One subscription to hook as many Apple customers as they can.

They'll most likely keep pumping some money into Apple Arcade, tossing in surprise exclusives here and there to raise eyebrows and keep building on it. One thing is for sure, they will not "win" any console war because that isn't their end game at all.
Did I say console war?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

We use the subscription here and really like it. I’d be ok with it expanding

LordOfChaos

I'm kind of excited if this also serves to draw native AAA titles to Apple Silicon Macs tbh. Macs, iPads, and this console would all be running similar chips if it's out of the M1/M2 family, so if you made a game for this it would probably make for an easy transfer to also run on mac.

Top Bottom