• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Arkane Austin's Prey reboot to be announced on June 12th

Mr. Tibbs

Jason Schreier said this today over at Kotaku:
"All I’ve heard is that they’re announcing it at E3! I’m not 100% sure, though. I do know it’s codenamed Danielle and under development at Arkane Austin. And this is a totally new Prey 2 (it might even be called something else now), not the one we saw in 2011 from Human Head."
Also, the site that first reported that Arkane Austin were taking over development duties on Prey 2 are saying that their Prey reboot will be revealed at Bethesda's E3 Conference.

https://twitter.com/aliennoire/status/730225992728354816

Why even call it Prey 2 if it's nothing like the awesome version we never got?

Just let it be it's own thing if you're not making a direct sequel.

The Pandabus

Neo Member

Calling it Prey 2 in the first place was a little odd since the thing Human Head themselves were making was a very different beast to the original, or at least looked to be.
However, the idea of a game called Prey 2 existing in 2016 is really funny to me, so I hope they call it Prey 2, instead of a THE PREY style reboot name.

ViciousDS

Banned
The Human Head game was nothing like the first game, either.

No it wasn't, but I saw that demo at PAX......got a T-shirt that says prey 2 for watching it as well.

I loved what I saw and was sad that it got canned.

I think it was an open world game if I remember correctly. Taking on contracts, you were basically a bounty hunter.

LewieP

No, but I saw that demo at PAX......got a T-shirt that says prey 2 for watching it as well.

I loved what I saw and was sad that it got canned.

Aye, I also liked what I'd seen, and had hoped that Human Head would be re-purposing it into something else without Bethesda.

My point was that the original Prey 2 was a big departure from the original, and so it's not a big surprised to hear that the same might be true of the new Prey 2.

eFKac

Wouldn't it be early?

When was the Human Head game officially cancelled? Like 2014

Unless Arkane started working before that time, I guess two years would be ok if they have tech in place.

Wasn't there some legal issue with the license that forced Zenimax to develop (not sure if this includes a release) a game with that title to be able to keep the IP?

Nibel

Bethesda whitelists Kotaku = Kotaku leaks Fallout 4 info

Bethesda blacklists Kotaku = Kotaku leaks potential Prey reboot announcement

I feel very bad for Bethesda

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aligns fairly nicely with what I'd expect from a Bethesda conference. Last year Fallout 4 and Doom received proper, lengthy formal displays/announcements. Elder Scrolls Online and Battlecry got some exposure. And Dishonored 2 was the big new game/sequel tease we all figured would be elaborated on at another time.

This year with the exception of expansion packs (which I'm sure they'll discuss) Fallout 4 is out. Doom will have already released, so it's in a similar boat. I can't see Battlecry and Elder Scrolls Online getting all that much exposure. Dishonored 2 will be the headlining gameplay reveal. But that leaves some holes. Prey 2 would make sense, if it's decently far in development. And who knows, maybe we'll see some New Order 2, too.

Corpekata

Banned
DerZuhälter;203221480 said:
Wasn't there some legal issue with the license that forced Zenimax to develop (not sure if this includes a release) a game with that title to be able to keep the IP?

Why on earth would they bother if that was true? Prey was only a modest success, it would make no sense for a company to develop around such terms.

biteren

im very curious about this, i really hope they keep the Intergalactic Bounty Hunter vibe of the game (if it really exists)

They have to tread very carefully when they reveal this game. Could easily rub a lot of salt in wounds after the previous game didn't make it.

Mr. Tibbs

Wouldn't it be early?

When was the Human Head game officially cancelled? Like 2014

Unless Arkane started working before that time, I guess two years would be ok if they have tech in place.

Human Head stopped working on Prey 2 in November 2011 after Bethesda tried to buy the studio through milestone abuse. Negotiations stalled in March 2012, and completely stopped in April 2012 after Human Head announced plans to make Rune II. Bethesda gave the project to Obsidian who worked on it for a few months, but they didn't have the source code, or any of the tech Human Head owned (mega-textures, global-based lighting, etc,,,), so it was doomed from the start. It was cancelled and quietly removed from Bethesda's upcoming titles on their site in August 2012.

In May 2013, Kotaku and a Prey fan site revealed that Arkane Austin had been ordered to reboot Prey 2. This was later confirmed in leaked emails shortly after. The Austin team, which was previously a satellite studio, licensed the Cryengine in mid-2013 and staffed up in early 2014.

eFKac

Human Head stopped working on Prey 2 in November 2011 after Bethesda tried to buy the studio through milestone abuse. Negotiations stalled in March 2012, and completely stopped in April 2012 after Human Head announced plans to make Rune II. Bethesda gave the project to Obsidian who worked on it for a few months, but they didn't have the source code, or any of the tech Human Head owned (mega-textures, global-based lighting, etc,,,), so it was doomed from the start. It was cancelled and quietly removed from Bethesda's upcoming titles on their site in August 2012.

In May 2013, Kotaku and a Prey fan site revealed that Arkane Austin had been ordered to reboot Prey 2. This was later confirmed in leaked emails shortly after. The Austin team, which was previously a satellite studio, licensed the Cryengine in mid-2013 and staffed up in early 2014.

Thank you for the meaty info!

Yeah, sounds like it could very well be ready to be unveiled.

ViciousDS

Banned

Wow if true, we could have another fallout 4 reveal of only waiting 4 months after a game announcement. I love Bethesda's strategy for game announcement. Big info blowout at the reveal and short wait time to launch.

ffvorax

Prey was quite original and fun to play, Prey 2 looked completed different but interesting... let's see if the rumor is true what they have to show this time.

Shredderi

Yeah. I think it was this ordeal that earned Jason his position as a "press sneak fuck".

Teeth

Is Arkane owned by Zenimax?

Yep.

Looking forward to this game pretty heavily. Shawn Elliott is doing level design on it (i think) and he's been saying all the right things (unless people from Austin were brought on to help finish up Dishonoured 2...which i'm also expecting spectacular level design for).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's really only a matter of time before Prey and Wolfenstein: The New Order 2 get announced.

AHA-Lambda

hmm...

tKeP5Ym.png

Jamie Trinca being the guy at Videogamer who teased the announcement

Lakitu

st5fu
Is this the 'System Shock spiritual successor' that was leaked a while ago? I hope so. The concept(s) sounded interesting.

Mr. Tibbs

Is this the 'System Shock spiritual successor' that was leaked a while ago? I hope so. The concept(s) sounded interesting.

A System Shock reboot is exactly what you would expect Arkane to make. Zero surprises there. Arx Fatalis started out as an attempt to woo EA into giving them the Underworld licence. Later, Arkane hired people with the promise of getting the Thief licence and when they couldn't secure it Dishonored was created.

Here's the leaked pitch documents from 2014:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/227321234/Prey-2-Document-1
https://www.scribd.com/doc/227321489/Prey-2-Document-2

scitek

Aligns fairly nicely with what I'd expect from a Bethesda conference. Last year Fallout 4 and Doom received proper, lengthy formal displays/announcements. Elder Scrolls Online and Battlecry got some exposure. And Dishonored 2 was the big new game/sequel tease we all figured would be elaborated on at another time.

This year with the exception of expansion packs (which I'm sure they'll discuss) Fallout 4 is out. Doom will have already released, so it's in a similar boat. I can't see Battlecry and Elder Scrolls Online getting all that much exposure. Dishonored 2 will be the headlining gameplay reveal. But that leaves some holes. Prey 2 would make sense, if it's decently far in development. And who knows, maybe we'll see some New Order 2, too.

The Evil Within sequel maybe.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
But but but but but I thought Bethesda have said that there won't be new announcements at this year's E3 and at their press event.

amdb00mer

While I can agree with this to an extent, I would also argue Far Cry. Look at how many great Far Cry games there were. The only true sequel in that series the one in the Instincts collection. Far Cry 2, 3, Blood Dragon, 4, and Primal were not direct sequels. If it takes switching up the game to this kind of sequel formula to get us another Prey game, then i'd be ok with that.

Top Bottom