• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

JarshR

Neo Member
Since Sega's been drawing comparisons between Yakuza and GTA since the marketing campaign for the first game, they should've just localized this before GTA V came out for people itching for an open world game to hold off until GTA V's release. Now the PS3 will be dead soon and it might be too late to even think about localizing a niche game like this.

I'd rather Atlus localized this than Sega themselves, but it looks like neither's happening. Maybe if there's a collection of the PS3 games for the PS4, we'll have another shot at localization.

Tizoc

Since Sega's been drawing comparisons between Yakuza and GTA since the marketing campaign for the first game, they should've just localized this before GTA V came out for people itching for an open world game to hold off until GTA V's release. Now the PS3 will be dead soon and it might be too late to even think about localizing a niche game like this.
Uh dude, Yakuza and GTA play NOTHING alike. Yakuza isn't even an open world game, nor does it feature the common elements you'd see in open world games.
I don't think they've been making similarities between the two games in a long time but I've never watched (m)any Yakuza trailers to even notice any comparisons.

Uh dude, Yakuza and GTA play NOTHING alike. Yakuza isn't even an open world game, nor does it feature the common elements you'd see in open world games.
I don't think they've been making similarities between the two games in a long time but I've never watched (m)any Yakuza trailers to even notice any comparisons.
Yea, and I remember a lot of hype when the first Yakuza came out about "it being similar to GTA" actually hurt the IP in America a fuckton.

Eusis

Yea, and I remember a lot of hype when the first Yakuza came out about "it being similar to GTA" actually hurt the IP in America a fuckton.
I know one guy wrote off the game entirely and refused to believe otherwise about what the game was like, but he was willingly thickheaded about a lot of things.

Still, it is sort of an open world game... but not in the traditional sense. For one thing we usually expect full camera control when that wasn't present until I think Yakuza 3, and it ended up being more RPG-esque in that regard, as if you just had one giant RPG town with random encounters in it. Open world usually implies a sandbox environment where you can just mess around, while Yakuza allowed about as much messing around as Dragon Quest.

JarshR

Neo Member
Uh dude, Yakuza and GTA play NOTHING alike.

Please point out where I said that. All I was saying was that Sega (Nagoshi himself, in fact) have drawn comparisons and it used to be regarded as a sort of "Japanese GTA" among people who hadn't played it. And yes, Yakuza is open-world, though it isn't a sandbox game.

Top Bottom