• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

Nibel

Update: dream.exe has crashed

I just asked a couple Atlus USA folks and they haven't heard anything about this. FWIW. Seems pretty unlikely to me - they're not a big company and they just announced like 4 new Persona games.

---

Original OP:

Lock Quijote if old

As it happens with most rumors, we advice you to take this with a grain of salt. Taking this out of the way, according to EGM, one of their source claims that Atlus is gearing up to bring Yakuza 5 to the West. While Atlus has done plenty of localizations, this might not be surprising one since Sega brought them last year, and since they already have a localization team – that has brought plenty of Japanese games to the West – it could happen.

Source (GearNuke)

Yuripaw

Banned
They'd probably do a better job of it too, not assuming that there are parts that need to be edited out because the west wouldn't understand bull shit that Sega has pulled in the past.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So does this trash the "Sega is gonna kill Atlus by not localizing crap?"

DJIzana

If I had one game to recommend importing, it'd be Ryu Ga Gotoku: 5. Good on Atlus if they do this. People who haven't played this game, it is my 2nd favorite Yakuza game next to 1, 2 and 3. =)

Never played a Yakuza game, but that Ishin (think that was it) looked much more interesting to me. Are the numbered ones worth playing?

Squire

Banned
If this is true, Sega is doing exactly what many people have been hoping they would since acquiring Atlus.

Atlus, you better not dub this.

On the contrary. Some of us like dubs and between NISA, XSEED, Aksys, etc., Atlus records the best ones. I know it's Yakuza, but if they want to do a dub I want to hear it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TAKEMYMONEY.GIF

Never played a Yakuza game, but that Ishin (think that was it) looked much more interesting to me. Are the numbered ones worth playing?
Yes, definitely. Three is probably one of my favourite PS3 games.

If this is true, Sega is doing exactly what many people have been hoping they would since acquiring Atlus.

On the contrary. Some of us like dubs and between NISA, XSEED, Aksys, etc., Atlus records the best ones. I know it's Yakuza, but if they want to do a dub I want to hear it.
Dual audio, if they must. But a dub would be as ill conceived as Sega's "all star" dub of Yakuza 1. JYB as Kazama might kill me.

Ban Puncher

wMmhIJw.gif

kiryogi

Banned

I'm more concerned about it being dub only considering Atlus stance on that compared to the others. I don't mind doing dub, but to not offer the original when most other niche developers do.

Is there a way to link my bank account to Atlus for automatic payment? Just send me RGG5 and whatever new SMTs and Personas automatically when they come out.

Cody_D165

Banned
Never been too big on Yakuza but gotta say: if this is true, I think the whole Atlus/Sega situation is going to work out juuuuuuuuust fine.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man if they do it, they got another great series under their belt for localization.

Though personally might be better for them to do Ishin first since would make a strong entrance on the PS4 and potentially bring in new fans. Since with Ishin its not like they need to play the other games first as there is no connection besides the likeness of characters from previous games recasted as characters for the ishin story.

Hopefully it's true. I think Atlus could also turn it into a much bigger success than Sega ever has given how well they manage to connect to their community when marketing.

Nibel

Had a blast with 1, currently playing 2 which is even better - 3 is good as well and 4+5 are knocking it out of the park according to several posters here

So yeah, this franchise is pretty great

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh, that'd be great. I love this series. But honestly, I believe it when they announce it, I'm not gonna get my hopes up before that.

Edit: Don't dub it.

Top Bottom