• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

The only thing I'm worried about is that Atlus is going to hinder the localisation by only including a dub featuring The California Acting Guild's finest, like we're accustomed to them doing. It's not hyperbole to say that the first Yakuza was ruined by its Western dub, and how a quintessentially Japanese game became a farce when the characters were voiced by the likes of Luke Skywalker and Mr. Blonde. The original cast of the Yakuza games is some of the finest voice-acting I've heard in a video game, the performances are always of an immaculate quality, and Takaya Kuroda is Kazuma Kiryu as far as I'm concerned. For him and others to be replaced by the Atlus faithful is an immensely worrying prospect.

If the original voice-track isn't included then I'll vote with my wallet and buy the game second hand.

Sgblues

Oh man, Yakuza-gaf representing! I'm loving all the support!

Yep I hadn't given up hope and still never will, I really hope this rumor turns out to be true.

Hopefully soon Kyodai, we can all play this game in English.

ZeroX03

Banned
Still haven't touched my Yakuza 3 and 4 yet, but I'd grab this regardless. Someday I'll buckle down and play this series.

WhyMe6

Wow...this would just be wonderful. I shouldn't get too excited, but...this would make me so happy!!! Fingers crossed~ I'll be there Day 1.

It's not hyperbole to say that the first Yakuza was ruined by its Western dub, and how a quintessentially Japanese game became a farce when the characters were voiced by the likes of Luke Skywalker and Mr. Blonde. The original cast of the Yakuza games is some of the finest voice-acting I've heard in a video game, the performances are always of an immaculate quality, and Takaya Kuroda is Kazuma Kiryu as far as I'm concerned. For him and others to be replaced by the Atlus faithful is an immensely worrying prospect.

If the original voice-track isn't included then I'll vote with my wallet and buy the game second hand.

This. This is the main reason why Yakuza 2 was absolutely more immersive and an all around better game imho as compared to the first one.

The lack of a localization budget for the second game (after the first game bombed in the market) ironically it better since they just subbed the whole thing and left the original Japanese audio track intact.

Going back to the localized first game after playing through the 2nd game with its Japanese voice acting is incredibly jarring now.

Kain

Don't get our hopes up mang >_<

I'm worried because Atlus has a tradition of innecessary dubbing and then the P4 Arena bullshit (for us european peasants).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I really want to believe but I can't. EGM track record on rumors nowadays is not good at all.

but hopefully this is real.

Damn if true then i will start up Y4 asap, as i vowed to not even play it after hearing Y5 wasn't gonna come...

don't. Yakuza 4 is garbage, just hope that this rumor turn to be true and wait for 5

Go_Ly_Dow

If true then I'm not worried about it being dub only.

They wouldn't undertake a huge project like this and keep themselves completely oblivious on how the previous titles were handled.

If this is true I'll name my next son Atlus. Even if it's NA only I will import it. If it's region locked I'll buy an US PS3 to play it. I need this game inside of me.

Storm360

Hopefully it's true, I've imported RGG5 although I'm hesitant to start it until I have much better knowledge of the language.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Please. PLEASE.

Didn't they try this already and SEGA told them no?

Yes but then Sega bought them, so saying no again would be like shitting on your own doorstep really.

Mets39

why would it be dubbed ? That would be a waste of money and not productive at all.
I also completely fogot Atlus was part of Sega now, make this rumor more believable :p

koutoru

I have not really followed the details, so could you explain this set of circumstances?
There are 2 major reasons why P4A was region locked:

1. The game had dual audio (which by itself isn't a problem but...)

2. The game was released in the US two weeks after the Japanese release.

Atlus was afraid of reverse importation since the game was about $90 in Japan and $60 in America.
Usually games go through a process of localization that takes at least 6 months.
That was not the case for P4A and Atlus was afraid that they wouldn't make their profit off the Japanese market.

mejin

If there is any future for this series after Ishin than Yakuza 5 must be localized.

I'll keep praying.

RalchAC

Yakuza 4 is great, well worth playing. Oh and ignore anything Totobeni says about it too.

Why ignore him? He is giving a diferent opinión that is as valid as yours.

If Yakuza is not dead here, i'd want to give the IP a try. Is 3 a good starting point or should I go with 1-2 first?

I've just realised, Tretton casually tossing out a Yakuza 5 localisation announcement at Sony's E3 conference this year would be pretty fricking amazing.

If Yakuza is not dead here, i'd want to give the IP a try. Is 3 a good starting point or should I go with 1-2 first?

Start with 2. It's the best one and there's no rubbish Western dub to deal with. Then just work your way onwards.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
If there is any future for this series after Ishin than Yakuza 5 must be localized.

I'll keep praying.

it depends on other things but there are other ways. like if Yakuza 6 gonna be a reboot/completely new story with new cast they don't need Yakuza 5.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

It's a running joke as Totobeni hates Yakuza 4 and no other Yakuza fan on GAF does :p

why would it be dubbed ? That would be a waste of money and not productive at all.
I also completely fogot Atlus was part of Sega now, make this rumor more believable :p

If they're trying to give the series a fresh push in the US then they may feel that making it fully localized would be the best way of going about that.

Shengar

We shall throw them into the nearest flatscreen television!

MY PS3 is reg3 for god's sake
phoenix-emo.gif

Top Bottom