• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

Itsuki

Yes, please!. I just hope that it doesn't end up having english dub only. Yakuza english dub was horrible and the Yakuza games are those games that it's better with japanese dub.

raven777

great news if true! All I want is

1. don't cut any contents out
2. no region-locking
3. no dub, or if have dub give us option to use JP voice.

Scavenger

There are 2 major reasons why P4A was region locked:

1. The game had dual audio (which by itself isn't a problem but...)

2. The game was released in the US two weeks after the Japanese release.

Atlus was afraid of reverse importation since the game was about $90 in Japan and $60 in America.
Usually games go through a process of localization that takes at least 6 months.
That was not the case for P4A and Atlus was afraid that they wouldn't make their profit off the Japanese market.
The dumbest thing is that Japanese people could import the Asian version which costs about the same as the US version and is fully compatible with Japanese DLC. The reverse importation argument didn't hold up at all.

mclem

Nice except for if you live in Europe.

There's two opportunities that give hope.

Firstly, if Sega are calling the shots, they are generally okay with EU releases these days.

Secondly, if that doesn't come through, Yakuza 5 is on PS3. PS3 is region-free.

Now, there's always the possibility of whatever happened with Persona 4 Arena to happen again, of course, but I don't think it's Atlus's call on this one.

At this point, I'd rather get Isshin.

Why? I can understand if you've never liked the series or have just never played it. But if you have, then I don't know why you'd prefer Ishin over Y5. Ishin is a one-off game like Kenzan and of the Dead. It exists solely to give the Yakuza Team additional time on the next mainline game. While Y5 is crucial to the ongoing plot of the series.

inner-G

Banned
Why? I can understand if you've never liked the series or have just never played it. But if you have, then I don't know why you'd prefer Ishin over Y5. Ishin is a one-off game like Kenzan and of the Dead. It exists solely to give the Yakuza Team additional time on the next mainline game. While Y5 is crucial to the ongoing plot of the series.
Ishin has way more P's though.

(And I like the yakuza games for running around and just doing stuff, the ongoing story is almost KH-level crazy to me)

Torraz

Game was awesome. Came together really well in the end. Probably my favorite Yakuza so far.

Would be great for all the NA / EU fans who did not import.

Given the nature of Yakuza, I assume the game's too big to realistically be sold digital-only?

It could be released digitally, but I doubt Atlus will go that route. They'll figure out a way to market it in order to make it viable as a disc based title. Sega tried once with the original Yakuza, but I think a lot of people found the dubbing to be off putting even though it wasn't actually bad.

Applecot

Now, there's always the possibility of whatever happened with Persona 4 Arena to happen again, of course, but I don't think it's Atlus's call on this one.

Like it's been mentioned that was a VERY specific set of circumstances. Yakuza 5 has been in Japan for like 1-2 years now, region locking at this point in the world of consoles would be a massive aberration.

Sega tried once with the original Yakuza, but I think a lot of people found the dubbing to be off putting even though it wasn't actually bad.

I think the target market of the Yakuza games would tend not to appreciate any dubbing.

MSMrRound

The dumbest thing is that Japanese people could import the Asian version which costs about the same as the US version and is fully compatible with Japanese DLC. The reverse importation argument didn't hold up at all.

P4A-back.jpg

Nope, I'm Asian (Singaporean to be specific) and my local stores only carry the Japanese version as well. There's no version targeted at Asians outside of Japan or something like that.

squall23

Nope, I'm Asian (Singaporean to be specific) and my local stores only carry the Japanese version as well. There's no version targeted at Asians outside of Japan or something like that.
That's anecdotal. Stores in Hong Kong carry the Asian or the Japanese version of games depending on the store. And I'm not sure if you've noticed, but that cover of P4A is full of Chinese.

Kain

Not localizing Isshin either is a dumb move, even more stupid that not localizing Kenzan. It's a launch game, for fuck's sake, PS4 has two exclusives at this point, people will buy it if only because there is nothing else on the shelves.

What are the chances of it being dub only?

Well normally it would be low, because all the other installments apart from the first game only included the original audio, but this is Atlus we're talking about. They've got a hard on for the Troy Bakers and Laura Baileys of the world the size of Florida.

Given the nature of Yakuza, I assume the game's too big to realistically be sold digital-only?

They could but I seriously hope not. I want a disc. Period. If digital was the only way to get it I suppose I'd bite the bullet... But I'm almost inclined to say disc or nothing. I do not buy DD on consoles as a rule nor pay full retail price for DD on any format, including PC.

I think the target market of the Yakuza games would tend not to appreciate any dubbing.

But that may be part of Yakuza's problem. It's target market is too small for to sustain itself in the west. Because of that they're gong to have to figure out how to grow it. That doesn't mean it has to suddenly become a million seller, but i'm pretty sure that even Dragon's Crown did better than Yakuza. And i'd say that Yakuza should be significantly more marketable and appealing than that.

So just how reliable is this EGM souce "Q-Mann"? Genuine question cos I don't read EGM and know nothing about this particular column. The way it's worded looks like the localization is definitely happening. Any track record on this source?

Pic from the linked article in OP.

gogogow

Meh...reading the EGM quote, it sounds more like a "possibility" that Atlus "could" localize it, if told so by SEGA, not that it's actually happening.

EGM said:
Don't rule out Yakuza 5 coming to America under the Atlus banner

Going by this quote, it´s not coming at all. It´s more like wishful thinking.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So just how reliable is this EGM souce "Q-Mann"? Genuine question cos I don't read EGM and know nothing about this particular column. The way it's worded looks like the localization is definitely happening. Any track record on this source?

Pic from the linked article in OP.

It's very hard to say. "Q-Mann" isn't an actual person. It's a psuedonym that any EGM writer can use. It's been around since the 90s. And honestly, back then, EGM published some buuuuuuuullshit rumors under the Quartermann name. Of course, that was ages ago. Really, it's hard to say just how reliable it is.

Hayabusi

But that may be part of Yakuza's problem. It's target market is too small for to sustain itself in the west. Because of that they're gong to have to figure out how to grow it. That doesn't mean it has to suddenly become a million seller, but i'm pretty sure that even Dragon's Crown did better than Yakuza. And i'd say that Yakuza should be significantly more marketable and appealing than that.

The dubbing is probably only a problem in the US. Europeans usually don't care if the spoken language is not ours (speaking from my pov here of course..).

It's very hard to say. "Q-Mann" isn't an actual person. It's a psuedonym that any EGM writer can use. It's been around since the 90s. And honestly, back then, EGM published some buuuuuuuullshit rumors under the Quartermann name. Of course, that was ages ago. Really, it's hard to say just how reliable it is.
Thanks for clearing that up. Well, there goes my optimism.

Meh...reading the EGM quote, it sounds more like a "possibility" that Atlus "could" localize it, if told so by SEGA, not that it's actually happening.

Going by this quote, it´s not coming at all. It´s more like wishful thinking.
Ha yeah the way I interpreted it, there was a "nudge nudge wink wink" after "don't rule out", definitely wishful thinking on my part.

I have the Asia version of Y5 which comes with a full translated script of the main quest in Chinese, Ishin will get the same treatment. I'm fluent in Chinese so I guess I should be thankful for that, but damn everybody knows the real meat of the Yakuza games is the side quests, and none of that stuff is translated. Still holding out for an English localization.

Zafir

Lol, just when I import the Japanese version!

Not going to complain if it happens though, my collection can contain both.

I have the Asia version of Y5 which comes with a full translated script of the main quest in Chinese, Ishin will get the same treatment. I'm fluent in Chinese so I guess I should be thankful for that, but damn everybody knows the real meat of the Yakuza games is the side quests, and none of that stuff is translated. Still holding out for an English localization.

Wait, what?

Asian version of localisation only translates the main quest?

this 'dub' talk makes me glad i broke down, bought, & played it. fuck 'dub' :) ...

thought it was good, but not as good as y4. does contain tons of content, tho (& the haruka stuff is surprisingly fun)...

Wait, what?

Asian version of localisation only translates the main quest?
I meant the script that came with the Asian version, it's a physical book, but only the main quest is translated.

U4670P115DT20121211155147.jpg

U4670P115DT20121211155151.jpg

Out of curiosity, would you guys be happy with this kind of "localization"? Just a script of the plot so you can read while you play.

MikeRox

Digital only EU release then? :( starting to think SEGA buying Atlus is going to be very bad for Europeans who like tangible holdable game releases.

Mr-Joker

Banned
KJdwklsjajflfj;j;fokla Whhhhaaaaa! O.O

Oh please be true and please don't cut any content or remove the original Japanese voices.

Top Bottom