• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: BGE2 (maybe) cancelled, Michel Ancel to found new studio

Melville

professorfarnsworth.gif

Bad news everyone!

Nothing is official yet but according to this website (http://www.wootgaming.fr/article-jeuvideo-578-michel-ancel-quitte-le-navire.html), Michel Ancel has quit Ubisoft Montpellier along with another person (their identity remains unknown, they just say he is another "star developer") to found a new studio. It seems that there were some internal problems concerning Beyond Good and Evil 2's development (which was supposedly well under way). The development could be paused again, but they have strong reasons to believe it is cancelled...

On a more positive note, Ancel has also expressed the desire to get back to more "classical" games (read: 2D). He is still working for Ubisoft though, and the article states that they do not know in which terms this whole thing happenned.

Official statement coming in the next weeks, possibly during E3.

I hope Michel Ancel just leaves Ubisoft altogether so he gets more free creative reign over his stuff.

Sad rumor though :/ I was hoping for BGAE2.

Does Ubisoft own the rights to Beyond Good and Evil? It would be so much better if they just pulled a 'Brutal Legend' and moved development to EA-partners instead.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I don't know how reliable the source is, but this sounds sadly quite realistic.

Shiggy

Tintin has a higher priority as of now.

You can find a video on Youtube of BG&E2, it looked promising, didn't it? :(

If Ancel isn't working on BG&E2, I'm not buying it (assuming it ever gets released). To be honest he probably should leave Ubisoft altogether, they sure aren't giving him any free reign after the commercial faliure of the first BG&E, which I imagine is stifling for a man of his talent.

Shiggy said:

Looked more like a tech demo to me. No way in hell you can achieve that kind of animation levels.

Shiggy said:

I honestly wouldn't mind a TinTin game from Ancel.

His King Kong game was incredible (for a movie game). So I'd have faith that TinTin would be even better (given the vibrant source material).

I'm just disappointed that Ubisoft doesn't give them the support they give to much less talented devs like Ubi Montreal.

I assume Ubisoft own IP? :'(

To be honest, BG&E2 would probably be quite shit compared to the original if it was made if only because Ubisoft seem to ruin everything they touch these days. Although they make decent titles, they haven't made a great one in a long time, and my interest in their titles is lower than ever. I doubt Ancel would be able to get his vision completely made which is how it should be.

It fucking sucks, though, because the original is obviously one of the finest games ever made.

Oli

Azure Phoenix said:
If Ancel isn't working on BG&E2, I'm not buying it (assuming it ever gets released). To be honest he probably should leave Ubisoft altogether, they sure aren't giving him any free reign after the commercial faliure of the first BG&E, which I imagine is stifling for a man of his talent.
If the rumor is to be believed, the game is well into development and has already received his imput. So if it still gets released I'm sure as heck buying it.

Ancel definitely deserves some more credit though. He's one of my favorite developers.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's official then, there is no God. Maybe Ancel can get the rights away from UbiSoft somehow. Please...

lol ubisoft, as if they din't suck enough

fly free ancel you magnificent bastard. i hope that you will bring us the spiritual succesors to rayman and bg&e

Frédérick Raynal should go with you too. little big adventure 3 needs to be made

Vinci

Danish
Ushojax said:
It's official then, there is no God. Maybe Ancel can get the rights away from UbiSoft somehow. Please...

I'd honestly just be happy if Ancel got the hell away from that company. He can create another IP that rivals BG&E. Yeah, he's that awesome.

Pydte

Sad that we won't see another BGAE entry, endored the first game. Also, with Ancél gone one could fear for the future of Rayman - even though Ubi Soft long since ruined that franchise with superfluous mini-game compilations.

The positive part of this story, though, is that Ancél then finally will be free of Ubi Softs strict control - hopefully paving the way for awesome new IP.

ShockingAlberto said:
It would make sense. It doesn't seem Ancel has been happy there for nearly five years now.

Ubisoft has changed. Look at it's biggest releases now, compared to 2003. Such a massive difference, and Ancel got shoved out of the picture.

It sucks, but this is actually good news. Now he can make some games, with people who value him... hopefully.

With Ubisoft's current DRM, the notion of BG&E2 was already bittersweet. An Ancel game that I can play (should it come to the PC) is a huge step up.

fernoca

I really liked the first BG&E..but Ubisoft was never in any rush..or even interest into making sequels out of it, after the first one didn't sell that many copies...

You bet that if the first one sold millions, we may be already with BG&E4..and even a spinoff or two....with or without Ancel involved.

Kimosabae

Banned
I was slightly amused at the topic creator's attempt to mitigate sorrow by putting "Maybe" in parenthesis in a topic title that hosts the word "Rumor" in it.

Vinci

Danish
fernoca said:
I really liked the first BG&E..but Ubisoft was never in any rush..or even interest into making sequels out of it, after the first one didn't sell that many copies...

You bet that if the first one sold millions, we may be already with BG&E4..and even a spinoff or two....with or without Ancel involved.

Well, yeah. That's sort of what a company wants, for their product to sell well and allow them to create more products. Of course they're less likely to make a sequel if it doesn't sell well. Not trying to defend Ubisoft (of all companies), but how did you think the game industry worked?

Patryn

Darklord said:
Why did they even announce it? What a waste.

Probably to generate a little bit of goodwill among the hardcore. Big announcement, quiet cancellation, and hope that people don't really notice that it's dead.

Oli

Billychu said:
If he gets to take BG&E2 with him, I'm ecstatic. It's not like Ubi is doing anything with the IP.

The odds of that are incredibly unlikely. Capcom didn't give Platinum Games Okami or Viewtiful Joe, and Ubi won't give Ancel BG&E or Rayman.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So I'm wondering if Rayman will ever make a comeback. I can't believe Raving Rabbids changed so much :/

Emitan

Vinci said:
Well, yeah. That's sort of what a company wants, for their product to sell well and allow them to create more products. Of course they're less likely to make a sequel if it doesn't sell well. Not trying to defend Ubisoft (of all companies), but how did you think the game industry worked?
Ubisoft was the publisher. They are in charge of advertising a game and generating hype. When they don't do either of those things and are surprised it bombed, who's fault is that? The game got tons of great reviews, there was just no marketing. It's partially Ubi's fault it bombed. They owe him one. Two, actually. They ruined his other franchise (Rayman).

Top Bottom