• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Call of Duty 2016 to Be Set in the “Very Far Future,” to Feature Space Combat

RedSwirl

Leaked opening scene

19Lchp.gif

This could have been the greatest marketing combination in gaming history. There already was a Star Wars mod for MW1.

Imagine it. Call of Duty: Galactic Warfare. You play battles between the Alliance and Empire. Possibly even with different Rebel and Imperial campaigns. Imperial campaign has certain missions where Vader is the commander you follow. Each side would be about some new special forces character or something involved in important original battles during and just before the original trilogy.

Good. Maybe they will have room to explore militaristic themes in a more earnest fashion if they are not tied to current nations or states. The gods know that we don't need another WW2 self-congratulatory safety blanket in the shape of a game.

Go full-blown Starship Troopers (film) with it.

Radec

What happened to Ghost 2? Didn't the game end with a cliffhanger?

I think they are going to keep making the games more extreme until they they see a huge drop of in sales.

But I'm actually hoping for a complete reboot.
- Call of Duty 5
- New engine
- Modern combat
- Drop the yearly game releases
- E-sport, support the same game for years
- Have every studio creating content for the same game
- Make stand alone spin off games for example Zombies & Futuristic.

Haha..

Turkoop

Banned

I think they are going to keep making the games more extreme until they they see a huge drop of in sales.

- Call of Duty 5
- New engine
- Modern combat
dude, this is Activision, they will shit on your plan ^^

- Call of Duty 5
- New engine
- Modern combat

Why a new engine dude? The last two CoD games look good as they are and the engine is actually one of the reasons why (I think) CoD is so popular to begin with. The games have obviously had major overhauls, but part of the base code remains the same which is what makes the twitch shooting, mechanics coupled with the constant 60fps target makes the gunplay feel so satisfying and the best in the industry IMO. The CoD devs knew what they were doing when they had CoD 4 target 60fps.

Also the yearly release thing is mitigated by the facts it's a three year cycle from three different developers so the games differ quite a bit and there's plenty of time for extra content and improvements IMO.

Modern combat? What's that?

And finally, having the three studios support one game is short sighted and ludicrous to say the least. It's financially unstable and you'll have many layoffs that's for sure! You'll have decals twiddling their fingers and and will have insecure jobs post launch.

Not to piss on your BBQ lol or to sound like a douche, my apologies, but I think your plan is short sighted to say the least and doesn't make any financial or common sense regarding some of the points.

I'd like to hear what you think about the points I raised btw, and I mean that genuinely ha since I perhaps may be missing something or seeing it from a different perspective.

Why a new engine dude? The last two CoD games look good as they are and the engine is actually one of the reasons why (I think) CoD is so popular to begin with. The games have obviously had major overhauls, but part of the base code remains the same which is what makes the twitch shooting, mechanics coupled with the constant 60fps target makes the gunplay feel so satisfying and the best in the industry IMO. The CoD devs knew what they were doing when they had CoD 4 target 60fps.

Also the yearly release thing is mitigated by the facts it's a three year cycle from three different developers so the games differ quite a bit and there's plenty of time for extra content and improvements IMO.

They could easily make a new engine designed for more modern systems that still has the same twitchy aim feel..... they just don't want to.

The game sells so much anyway so why bother, that's really the only reason. Less expense, more profit.

They could easily make a new engine designed for more modern systems that still has the same twitchy aim feel..... they just don't want to.

The game sells so much anyway so why bother, that's really the only reason. Less expense, more profit.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. There's no financial imperative or any need to change the engine other than for some superficial check box. It's fine as it is and I think the community engagement and sales reflect that. There's no need for a completely new engine (for now).

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. There's no financial imperative or any need to change the engine other than for some superficial check box. It's fine as it is and I think the community engagement and sales reflect that. There's no need for a completely new engine (for now).

That's exactly what I said :p

No impetus for change.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Enders Call of Duty: Speaker for the Dead edition

(Speaker for the Dead edition does not include hyper jump boost boots or hapkido eskreema sticks smash move)

Haven't the COD games been set in the near future for the last 4-6 years? This seems like a natural evolution of the series if true. I don't think people should hold their breath for a WWII COD ever again.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The last thing I wanted, I'm pretty much over all forms of exo movement.

I like future shooters, so if they are abanding near future crap and diving right into 25th century space with starships, ateroid bases, colonized worlds, giant outer rings, monolithic space stations and laser guns I'm in. I have played enough modern and WW2 CODs bring me the science fiction out the ass FPS!

They had space combat in Ghosts hopefully it's now actually good.
This is nothing like Ghosts. We're talking combat in spaceships (think No Man's Sky), and not just around Earth.

And a central hub area that's a form of living space station. Think the Battlestar Galactica loading bay. Being a mostly campaign guy, I'm pretty excited for this one.

This is nothing like Ghosts. We're talking combat in spaceships, and not just around Earth.

And a central hub area that's a form of living space station. Think the Battlestar Galactica loading bay. Being a mostly campaign guy, I'm pretty excited for this one.

Oh shit!
inb4 50 CoD videos detailing and analyzing this post

Vinland

Banned
This is nothing like Ghosts. We're talking combat in spaceships, and not just around Earth.

Yep. This is where I am at too.

So basicly what BO3 did with that operation base.

Do you know anything about the next Battlefield?

ncslamm

Ok so this sounds pretty cool. I wonder what the subtitle will be?

Call of Duty: Galactic Warfare
Call of Duty: Universal Warfare
Call of Duty: Ghosts in Space
Call of Duty: Pew Pew Lasers

any word on the exo-suit movement? will it be like black ops3 ( really good) or AW (really fucking awful)

rdytoroll

This is nothing like Ghosts. We're talking combat in spaceships (think No Man's Sky), and not just around Earth.

Ugh. I dont wanna play on the maps Delta 1, Alpha 2 or Andromeda 69. Give me Boots-on-the-ground on maps that resemble a real location with real guns, that people know the name of. Think that's it for me with this series.

Bolivar687

Banned

Um, No Man's Sky?

Someone please tell me we're getting Modern Warfare remasters this year. I beg you.

Upinsmoke

Not happy. Can only think there going head to head with Titanfall.

Hopefully it's set in space but basically we find out space is shit and we only have a few rusty ak's and mp5's to fuck with.

uncapped

More dreadful crap. COD as a franchise has taken such a nose dive, but just when you think it can't get any worse. It DOES..

I just finished Black OPS 3, the first COD game I've played in years, and it was such a chore to finish.

Call of Duty: Mass Effect?

Seriously though, that sounds interesting. Some fighting in spaceships and zero-g fights could be epic!

HF2014

For god sake, call it Call of Duty Unreal Tournament Edition at least. Make it back like Black Ops 1. No stupid jumping, robots, bring me back old world war feeling to it... and second chance!

RedSwirl

Killzone probably nailed the best medium between "modern-looking" warfare and the far future, at least in terms of art direction. The first game was pretty much WWII in space. Second one was pretty much Iraq invasion in space. It would be hilarious if COD just did that again but sold way more.

I'm assuming that Ghost will remain having a cliffhanger? I'm actually excited for this future Call of Duty and hoping to see Alien races!

so we'll get another WWII Call of Duty in 2030 when CoD's timeline has finally gone so far into the future that it's looped on itself

Call of Duty 2017 will be a WWII shooter, except halfway through the game, you find out you're actually a reprogrammed prisoner of war in the year 2117 who gets strapped into a VR machine for most of his waking hours, controlling robotic drones and shooting at real people behind the veil.

More dreadful crap. COD as a franchise has taken such a nose dive, but just when you think it can't get any worse. It DOES..

I just finished Black OPS 3, the first COD game I've played in years, and it was such a chore to finish.

That ending was rough. Story sucked too.

Man this sounds even more enticing

deadlast

Stop selling me on this game Shinobi.
This sounds incredible. Can IW even pull this off?

Top Bottom