• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Crystal Dynamics working on “Soul Reaver” reboot

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Square Enix did trademark a new name related to the series some months back.

VG247 said:
Tue, Mar 20, 2012 | 10:39 GMT
Rumour: Crystal Dynamics on “Soul Reaver” reboot

VG247 has it on good authority that Crystal Dynamics is currently working on a full reboot of vampire series Legacy of Kain.

Crystal Dynamics is working on a reboot of “Soul Reaver,” VG247 has been told.

Details are anorexic, but our source has claimed the game is a full reworking of the vampire action classic, and includes a new art direction.

We have been previously told the project was aiming for a reveal this year – possibly at E3 – but new information has warned this may not be accurate.

It’s unclear where the new game will lie in the IP, and whether or not Raziel or Kain will lead.
The series itself is Legacy of Kain; Kain is a noble murdered and revived as a vampire who embarks on a crusade to kill his assassins and be restored to human form.

The protagonist of Soul Reaver – the sequel to the series’s first title, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, which released in 1996 for PlayStation – is vampire-turned-wraith Raziel.

Soul Reaver – released in 1999 for PlayStation and PC, with a Dreamcast version following in 2000 – was a much-loved action adventure, and spawned a direct sequel in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 for PS2 and PC in 2001.

Two more games followed: Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain in 2002 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance for PS2, Xbox and PC in 2003.

Aside from some PSN releases, the series has been dormant ever since.

Crystal Dynamics is currently working on Square’s Tomb Raider reboot for release later this year. The studio has also confirmed it’s readying to announced a new IP in 2012. We’ve been told today this is an XBLA game.

We’ve reached out to Square Enix for comment, but no reply had been received at the time of writing.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/rumour-crystal-dynamics-working-on-soul-reaver-reboot/

Aklamarth

Wohohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (if it's true).

LoK doesn't need a reboot, it just needed to be revisited.
Hope this turns out worthwhile, but I'm not getting my expectations up.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Eidos/Square just keeps on giving and giving. I hope we'll see something soon (and hoping it's true).

Metallix87

I'm not surprised by this, really. Soul Reaver has always seemed like an IP that had a lot of potential, but was just looking for the right time and the right game to help it explode in popularity.

Raide

Wait, wait, wait...they are rebooting it? There was nothing wrong with the earlier games! Just make a sequel!

Would kill for a HD version of the first 2 games though.

Nice, always wanted this. I still think it's weird that all the "good old games" are only being remade or rebooted at the end of this generation.

Gravijah

Silly you, if they started building a game for Wii U, they would build it very differently and with unique functionality. So unless their opinion has changed in the last two months, or unless it's a Tomb Raider exclusive excuse....no. What if they've already been working on the game before Wii U was announced, that would also exclude it immediately.

all they'd have to do is put an inventory or map on the bottom screen. bam.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Any other guesses on what's slightly inaccurate about the rumor?

EM does have a mysterious fourth team, but I'm not sure if that would be far enough along.

there's always that wii u tabletmajig

And it would be stupid not to release it there, but I was interpreting the next-gen part as a "next gen visuals" thing and having the lead platform be the 360 would not result in a game that will push the same amount of visuals as a Wii U/PS4/Loop game would.

But it would be incredibly stupid not to include Wii U if they are building it for current hardware and releasing it next year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Was Lords of Shadows considered a reboot?

losrebootk4jvj.png

Foffy

Banned
Was Lords of Shadows considered a reboot?

Dave Cox has been inconsistent in that regard. While it's marketed as a reboot, he said some time ago on his Twitter (which was already posted in this topic as a reply to this question) he's also said that it's akin to the Ultimate series from Marvel comics, and also said Lords of Shadow is a different series than Akumajo Dracula in Japan, as if its an entirely separate line from Konami.

It surely has very little to do with Castlevania outside of maybe one-third of the game.

Rezbit

Would be happy to see a remake of Blood Omen, or if it is a reboot make it quite different/separate from the old series but keeping the top-quality voice acting and story.

Top Bottom