• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Crytek(Frankfurt) hasn't paid wages (on time?)in 4+ months for 300+ employees

RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR

Take this with a huge grain of salt but saw this blurb on Hacker News's Who's Firing thread:

esWXooP.png

Link to the post: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12853270

Obviously this isn't the first time a Crytek branch would be late on payments and such.

There's also some recent review on Glassdoor about the situation:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Crytek-RVW12241982.htm

Four months sounds like a insanely long time though. Many developers did leave to CIG a short while back too AFAIK. On a scale to real news to reddit rumors Hacker News would rank somewhere around few steps above random Reddit rumors.

That sounds... I don't understand the kind of hold a company might have to make you stay after the first paycheck doesn't drop. Is it that bad for game devs out there?

Harlequin

Considering Crytek's history, this wouldn't surprise me. Though it does feel like it'd take a special brand of incompetence to burn through all that Amazon money so quickly (or when did they make that deal... may have been longer since then than I remember). If this is true, I guess they didn't learn anything from their previous problems.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, they haven't released anything major in ages, multiple companies are setting up German studios to poach their staff, and this would be about as long as their payment from Amazon would have lasted...

Looks like the Star Citizen team will be reinforced with even more ex-Crytek people.
id has also moved from just hiring German tech staff to hiring a full on German development team as well.

Slayven

Damn, you have one time not to pay me before I am gone at the first chance.

Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th time this has come up?

scitek

The glassdoor reviews say they have been missing scheduled payment dates (10 days late at times), which is still inexcusable and shitty, but not as shitty as just not paying employees period. Still sucks.

Sayad

Well, they haven't released anything major in ages, multiple companies are setting up German studios to poach their staff, and this would be about as long as their payment from Amazon would have lasted...
Amazon should have stalled until Crytek went down then picked up the engine for cheap.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Amazon should have stalled until Crytek went down then picked up the engine for cheap.

They wanted to start development immediately though. Also the price was fine to completely own the engine and be able to sell it themselves instead of just license it.

MrCow

As far as i know this has happend before at Crytek..

A real shame since Crytek used to be one of the most successful german games companies.

I've heard rumors before that the Yerli brothers burned all their inheritance money on high quality staff from overseas for Crysis and now just barely keep up the company.

scitek

I'd have been looking for a new job after they missed the first check.

Same.
I'm miserable at my job (non-gaming industry) and have been looking for a new one for 5 months now without much luck. It can be tough to just leave a place.

RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR

Take this with a huge grain of salt but saw this blurb on Hacker News's Who's Firing thread:

esWXooP.png

Link to the post: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12853270

Obviously this isn't the first time a Crytek branch would be late on payments and such.

There's also some recent review on Glassdoor about the situation:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Crytek-RVW12241982.htm

Four months sounds like a insanely long time though. Many developers did leave to CIG a short while back too AFAIK. On a scale to real news to reddit rumors Hacker News would rank somewhere around few steps above random Reddit rumors.
Didn't this happen to them a few years ago?

Terrible, if true.

I couldn't imagine waking up that first pay day and not seeing my check in my account, let alone four fucking months. That is beyond fucked up.

id has also moved from just hiring German tech staff to hiring a full on German development team as well.

Yeah. Basically this.

Also, if this is true it is completely unacceptable, especially since it would be the second time that this happened. Having a stable wage that is regular is crucial to subsisting. These are people's livelihoods.

vypek

Thought this was familiar and it was an old thread being bumped. Really sucks that this is happening again.

scitek

Yeah. Basically this.

Also, if this is true it is completely unacceptable, especially since it would be the second time that this happened. Having a stable wage that is regular is crucial to subsisting. These are people's livelihoods.

It's even worse if it's without warning, like some of the Glassdoor reviews suggest. At the very least, you should let people know they won't be getting paid on time so they can budget their money accordingly.

Justinh

I can't even remember the last thing they did. Did they do some F2P game after Ryse?

I guess it's good that somebody's hiring these people. As long as they can get these people working again.

At the very least, you should let people know they won't be getting paid on time so they can budget their money accordingly.

Yeah at the very least. That way people aren't scrambling if they don't have sufficient savings when all of a sudden, a paycheck just doesn't show up.

Daedardus

4 months???

Why the fuck haven't they just walked out the door then?

If you've been a long standing employee, they'd have to pay you quite to money to fire you. If you just resign you won't see any of that money. Seems partially a way to make employees resign themselves.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't even remember the last thing they did. Did they do some F2P game after Ryse?

I guess it's good that somebody's hiring these people. As long as they can get these people working again.

They've been doing VR games for hire primarily since that's where the VC and vendor money is at the moment, but those usually have a pretty limited budget and I can't imagine that money flow will last for long.

NateDrake

Sounds like a bad situation. Wonder if they are hoping Robinson: The Journey becomes a financial success for VR platforms when it releases next week....

speedomodel

Damn, they're fucked aren't they?

I remember last time they're CEO or something criticized the people who complained/left by saying they weren't team players or some bullshit...

FelipeMGM

Who owns Crysis, them or EA?

Also, I guess that "Darksiders" like game of theirs wont be released this year either...

kuYuri

Unfortunately, it looks like Crytek is a sinking ship for game developers, similar to Konami. At least Konami has pachinko and health spas or whatever to stay afloat, Crytek only has their engine which is being used by a small number of games at this point. Their other projects have been quiet for awhile now as well. VR seems to be their only major selling point recently, which is still in its infancy.

At this point if this is true would anyone want to work for Crytek in the future? Assuming they keep going and try to hire anyone that is....

I feel bad for the people working there though :(

DocSeuss

It frustrates me that Crytek's insistence that f2p is the future has led to... well... nothing. Timesplitters ports could have got them some extra cash. Whatever happened to Hunt? They've got that Robinson Crusoe VR game coming out, and had that climbing game, but we all know VR isn't doing super great.

I have no idea how Crytek has been going on for this long without releasing a good game. It's been a looong time since Crysis and Warhead, everything else that came out after that was sort of a disappointment.

Then they sold their engine to Amazon, which was always what kept them alive. I'm already surprised they kept the company going for this long.

Top Bottom