• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Damian Wayne-led Batman game in dev? [Up: New rumors plus Suicide Squad]

Blue Lou

A web site known as Bytesize impressions is reporting that a new Batman game is possibly in development.

Before I continue, I’d like to let everyone know that the following information should be treated strictly as rumor. I know and trust my source, and while this information was reported to him/her in August, things are always subject to change. That said, here’s what they found out:

There is, indeed, a new Batman game in development, and there’s a twist: The story takes place in the not-too-distant future, and the primary protagonist is actually the original Batman’s son. The city will not only be bigger, but will actually show more signs of Gotham’s population than ever before, meaning the ‘city has been evacuated’ plot thread is being left by the wayside (which is smart, because my primary concern with the latter Arkham games is just how empty and lifeless the world feels). The story will also not unfold in the span of a single night (day and night cycles, perhaps?). It’s unknown if the Batmobile will be playable, but it’s said we’ll have access to the Batcycle. As you progress throughout the game, players will have the opportunity to upgrade the Batcave. The biggest question of all is, “Who’s developing this game?” This, unfortunately, was not mentioned. Personally, I don’t believe Rocksteady will be behind it. With enough money being offered it’s certainly possible, but Rocksteady have already expressed a desire to move on.

Source: https://bytesizeimpressions.com/2016/05/25/new-batman-game-may-be-on-the-horizon/ (H/T Sgt. Kabukiman)

Floex

Hmmm, a larger Gotham isn't something I particularly want but a populated one? I'm ok with this.

The Argus

Hmmm, a larger Gotham isn't something I particularly want but a populated one? I'm ok with this.

This. I'm happy with the size of AK's map , just don't make it another quarantined/deserted Gotham like the Arkham games did. I want a living Gotham, with its citizens going about their life as you hunt the baddies from the shadows.

Philippo

Can we have Dick instead pretty please?

latest

liquidtmd

Banned
A source says: Batman game in development. Maybe lead by Damian Wayne. Probably set in Gotham

Source: unknown
platforms: unknown
Developer: unknown.
Anything else: unknown.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Squire

Banned
Damian is an awful idea. I get why people like him in the comics and why he's good, but you can see how a AAA video game would use him from a mile away. No thanks.

vaderise

Damian is good as a side character when he interacts with Batman.He can't carry a story on his own.There are a lot of examples of this in comics. So this is not a good idea.
Focus Dick instead.

Mifec

Would rather play as like a dozen others taking over the mantle before Damian.

Pretty sure anyone familiar with Batman would. Then again AK had Hush and TDK:R level storytelling so it's not like we would get something THAT much worse.

Damian is good as a side character when he interacts with Batman.He can't carry a story on his own.There are a lot of examples of this in comics. So this is not a good idea.
Focus Dick instead.

Dick is best char.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, Warner Montreal is working on two AAA DC superhero games.

One is Suicide Squad. The other is unknown. People think it's Superman, but there have been some implications that it might not be as well.

If they want to follow up on Batman in a more direct fashion than Suicide Squad, and Rocksteady is doing something like Superman or Justice League instead, this could potentially fit for Warner Montreal's second game.

vaderise

Pretty sure anyone familiar with Batman would. Then again AK had Hush and TDK:R level storytelling so it's not like we would get something THAT much worse.

Dick is best char.
His Dark Mirror arc is like the best fucking thing ever.

They probably mean Terry McGinnis not Damian if they're going to the future. Probably lost in translation there. Would it be set in the Arkhamverse though? Hoping so! I guess Rocksteady are making it considering they kinda teased they are not done with the bat.

Dremark

Banned
I read it as Damon Wayans and though even though he would be a pretty unorthodox pick for Batman, it could be pretty cool.

Dragun619

Only if Grant Morrison is involved.

Either in writing the story or overseeing his dialogue/character.

Then I'd be stoked. Otherwise, ehhhh, not sure if they can do him justice.

Squire

Banned
They probably mean Terry McGinnis not Damian if they're going to the future. Probably lost in translation there. Would it be set in the Arkhamverse though? Hoping so! I guess Rocksteady are making it considering they kinda teased they are not done with the bat.

Nah, they mean Damian.

As much I love Terry and every other contribution of Bruce Timm, Damian (especially an older Damian) is perfect for your average AAA video game. He fits the current trajectory of the Batman games, in that they seem to be getting more brutal.

Damian is half-villain, so he's incredibly easy to tie some garbage morality system to and they can put it in more brutal moves (if not straight up killing) without causing any real fuss.

Ushay

More Batman is fine by me. As long as Rocksteady or someone good does it,

P.S. Damien is an ass at first, but he gorows on you eventually. He would make a great protagonist.

Nah, they mean Damian.

As much I love Terry and every other contribution of Bruce Timm, Damian (especially an older Damian) is perfect for your average AAA video game. He fits the current trajectory of the Batman games, in that they seem to be getting more brutal.

Damian is half-villain, so he's incredibly easy to tie some garbage morality system to and they can put it in more brutal moves (if not straight up killing) without causing any real fuss.

:( But ... but ... damian's just a kid right? Only 10 or something? They'd have to make him older, much much older.

I guess. Ahh well.

Did anyone even ask for a Damien game. Give me batman beyond with Terry. Or a Grayson agent of Spyrl game.

So there could be 4 DC games being worked on right now. Injustice 2, wb Montreal with suicide squad. The rumors on a superman game and this.

I think injustice and suicide squad will be announced at sony's E3 since sony seems to get exclusive content from WB games especially with DC games.

jesu

Forgive my cynicism but why even bother posting a rumour like this?
bytesizeimpressions.com oakly doakly

that's the English source btw.
why you would post the french version is equally baffling.

I would love a Damian Wayne game based on his future self as written by Grant Morrison. I've always wanted a Batman Beyond game and this would be close enough. A fucked-up batman in a Blade Runner future could make for a great game and could reinvent the series after the conclusion of the Arkham games.

As for this rumor actually being true, I don't believe it at all but who knows, I'd love to be wrong. By the way, the rumor didn't originate from DC Planet but from this site :

https://bytesizeimpressions.com/2016/05/25/new-batman-game-may-be-on-the-horizon/

Before I continue, I’d like to let everyone know that the following information should be treated strictly as rumor. I know and trust my source, and while this information was reported to him/her in August, things are always subject to change. That said, here’s what they found out:

There is, indeed, a new Batman game in development, and there’s a twist: The story takes place in the not-too-distant future, and the primary protagonist is actually the original Batman’s son. The city will not only be bigger, but will actually show more signs of Gotham’s population than ever before, meaning the ‘city has been evacuated’ plot thread is being left by the wayside (which is smart, because my primary concern with the latter Arkham games is just how empty and lifeless the world feels). The story will also not unfold in the span of a single night (day and night cycles, perhaps?). It’s unknown if the Batmobile will be playable, but it’s said we’ll have access to the Batcycle. As you progress throughout the game, players will have the opportunity to upgrade the Batcave. The biggest question of all is, “Who’s developing this game?” This, unfortunately, was not mentioned. Personally, I don’t believe Rocksteady will be behind it. With enough money being offered it’s certainly possible, but Rocksteady have already expressed a desire to move on.

Squire

Banned
:( But ... but ... damian's just a kid right? Only 10 or something? They'd have to make him older, much much older.

I guess. Ahh well.

They'll make him older, but you can bet they'll still play up that he's willing to play dirty to get the job done. They're doing that now in brand new comics, despite whatever character growth.

Top Bottom