• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: David Wise composing music for Retro's new Switch game (Donkey Kong?)

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-david-wise-working-on-something-at-retro-studios/
https://mynintendonews.com/2018/01/...ise-reportedly-working-on-a-nintendo-project/
https://gonintendo.com/stories/300796-rumor-david-wise-working-on-a-nintendo-project

The original source of this rumor is E EvB , who leaked Wise's involvement in composing the Snake Pass OST. Considering that Reggie teased a "new Donkey Kong experience" a few months ago, I think this rumor has some legitimacy.

They are doing another Donkey Kong game. I cant think why else David wise was there..
Yeah, I can't say more than that I am afraid.
As I said, Retro are definitely working on something Donkey Kong related. It may be a while off yet though.

Hopefully they get someone from rare who knew how to add soul to these games. Retro’s games look and play nice but lack heart/character.

I hope this is true. Sorry to anyone who wouldn't look forward to another DK, but all five DKC games are among the all time greats, and Retro did a particularly stellar job with Tropical Freeze.

Lynd7

Disappointing if it's another DKC. I'd be interested if it's some sort of ambitious 3D reimagining though I guess.

God Enel

I only played the first new dk (i.e. Not tropical freeze) and the oldschool ones. Music has been 10/10. David Wise is awesome.

But I just miss the kremlins so much. They need a new iconic villain in this game imho. Now it seems they are all over the place with it. That drags my experience down a little bit.
Can't wait for a new dk. Hopefully this time with a certain theme like dkc 2. :)

Just like New Super Mario Bros, they're rebooting donkey Kong country: New Donkey Kong Country. Or maybe it's a 3D adventure. Whatever Retro is working on, I look forward to hearing about it soon.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I really hope it's a 3D DK-adventure. I'm sure Retro Studios could come up with a fine platformer-adventure game. I loved DK64 back on early 2000's, but I replayed it when it was released in Virtual Console, and saw many of it's problems then. So maybe not a collect-a-thon, but I would prefer at least something collectable within the game.

Taker666

I'd be fine with a 3D DK adventure, Diddy Kong Racing 2..or even a DK FPS..

...but I really don't want another DKC sidescroller. The series has never clicked with me...I honestly prefered Jungle Beat to any DKC game

Fbh

That would be disappointing.

I really liked their DK games but was hoping for something new from them on the Switch. Specially with Tropical Freeze being ported over

TannerDemoz

It'll be true. I asked him what he was working on at the moment when I saw a game concert at Leeds University and he really strictly replied "I can't say."

DonF

I loved DKC's music...but everything from him after it just felt the same. Snake pass and yooka laylee OST could very well be a DKC OST. Its cool for authenticity's sake...
Semi related...Retro Doesn't Have To Make Donkey Kong Any More.
I feel like its a waste of their talents. They revolutionized metroid, brought it to a new console and era with great success. Then they proceded to not do that to donkey kong. I haven't played tropical freeze, but DKC returns felt just good.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
David Wise is fantastic. I love Pitter-Patter Panel from TF. It's the best DK song of all time.

If they are doing DK, I hope it's something extraordinary. Not another 2D game, but maybe an open world game? Would be fantastic for me..

Though I wish they were creating something new, something that felt like Metroid Prime 1, in terms of atmosphere and impact..I thought they were talented enough for that.. but who cares. Whatever they're doing, it's better than nothing at this point..

I loved DKC's music...but everything from him after it just felt the same. Snake pass and yooka laylee OST could very well be a DKC OST. Its cool for authenticity's sake...
Semi related...Retro Doesn't Have To Make Donkey Kong Any More.
I feel like its a waste of their talents. They revolutionized metroid, brought it to a new console and era with great success. Then they proceded to not do that to donkey kong. I haven't played tropical freeze, but DKC returns felt just good.
Tropical Freeze was much better than Returns. Anyway, this notion that Donkey Kong is a "waste of Retro's talents" is extremely patronizing. First of all, the team that made Metroid Prime is long gone. Second of all, the DK IP was stuck in spin-off purgatory for 11 years after Microsoft acquired Rare—and now that DK has found a proper home in Retro Studios, people who don't care about the IP are demanding they make something else. Look, it's fine if you aren't a fan of platformers and want Retro to diversify their portfolio, but when you say things like "Retro doesn't have to make Donkey Kong anymore", who will? Maybe there are people like me who don't want the beloved IP to be in limbo for another decade.

Last edited:

DonF

Tropical Freeze was much better than Returns. Anyway, this notion that Donkey Kong is a "waste of Retro's talents" is extremely patronizing. First of all, the team that made Metroid Prime is long gone. Second of all, the DK IP was stuck in spin-off purgatory for 11 years after Microsoft acquired Rare—and now that DK has found a proper home in Retro Studios, people who don't care about the IP are demanding they make something else. Look, it's fine if you aren't a fan of platformers and want Retro to diversify their portfolio, but when you say things like "Retro doesn't have to make Donkey Kong anymore", who will? Maybe there are people like me who don't want the beloved IP to be in limbo for another decade.
what does this have to do with david wise? Try not to derail.

Last edited:

WilGrieve

Hopefully not another sidescroller. The last two have been pretty soulless with jank controls. And if it's a DK64 spiritual sequel, hopefully it doesn't suck as bad as 64 did.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hopefully they get someone from rare who knew how to add soul to these games. Retro’s games look and play nice but lack heart/character.
Thank you Jesus, for having someone else agree with me. That’s really the only issue with their DKC games, it’s amazing how few people see it.

Lynd7

Eh, nothing wrong with hoping for something more exciting. They have done two DK games in a row now, unless its something quite different another sidescroller would be kinda boring.

On another note, they may just like David Wise and wanted to use him again for a none DK game. Wise's appearence doesn't mean DK anyway.

Thank you Jesus, for having someone else agree with me. That’s really the only issue with their DKC games, it’s amazing how few people see it.

Exactly it’s everything is nice but so generic and lifeless. NONE of the crazy/charm from DKC 1 2 3 or 64

EvB

As I said on the other forum, I've assumed it's something DK related, but it could however be something else that involves him and Retro. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Who knows, it could be a LABO game where you collect virtual bananas in a cardboard Barrel.

Last edited:

noqtic

I'll probably have to do some digging, but I thin Retro has two Dev teams now, if not I'd be pretty disappointed myself.

Top Bottom