• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Space 2 Unveiled In Next OPM

MrHicks said:
did i miss the "EVERYTHING needs multiplayer" meeting?
aren't there enough countless games for your multiplayer fix?

you've got people in this thread asking for multiplayer/co-op for a fucking horror game
this gen fucking sucks its all gone to hell

all that money/energy/time put into the multi could be used to make the campaign that much more polished and epic

whats next CO-OP for the sequel to dragon age origins?
aaargh FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

thank you, sir. thank you.

Denzar

MrHicks said:

you've got people in this thread asking for multiplayer/co-op for a fucking horror game

all that money/energy/time put into the multi could be used to make the campaign that much more polished and epic

I feel you man.

I'd much prefer a perfectly honed SP above some throwaway MP. In the end, people always go back to the same games for MP.

I hope a separate team is working on the MP aspect, that way, the SP experience won't get whacked. If it's online co-op... Fuck that.

Massa

There's no "extra money" that would go towards the SP, they're adding multiplayer because they expect higher sales and fewer trade-ins from doing that. In other words, more money, and part of that money is what's funding the MP.

Zeliard

Ugh.

The mere thought of a game like this with multiplayer of any sort is revolting. Fuck off with that shit already.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sipowicz said:
a seperate mode with different characters. basically like dead space extraction but not a rail shooter made by eurocom
As long as it doesn't affect the main campaign in any way like deterring the focus on it.

Denzar

Massa said:
There's no "extra money" that would go towards the SP, they're adding multiplayer because they expect higher sales and fewer trade-ins from doing that. In other words, more money, and part of that money is what's funding the MP.

Maybe. Even so, it would mean manpower and time has to be split up between MP and SP.

RJT said:
Since you're announcing sequels to games that weren't blockbusters, EA, please announce Mirror's Edge 2. With online time trials a la TrackMania.

i always felt like mirror's edge and dead space were a pair

What made Dead Space so great was the sense of isolation reinforced by unparallelled audio and awesome visuals that messed with your head.

Could they do that with Co-Op? Probably not, but I wouldn't say that it's impossible.

And RE5 didn't suck because it had Co-Op. Co-Op sucked because Sheva was a shit character
and the game sucked because they lost touch with the spirit of the series and replaced it with a bland action movie with a Resident Evil skin over the top.

It's the "Gears of War" effect. If you game relies on surviving and/or horror, you never EVER have your characters outside during the goddamn day.

Oh thank Jesus. I've been waiting for this. Can't wait to see what they show.

And that's definitely Dead Space. Besides the concept art, it looks like you're seeing through Isaac's helmet on that image. Those three bars have the same general design as his helmet.

15nstmo.jpg

Zeliard said:
Ugh.

The mere thought of a game like this with multiplayer of any sort is revolting. Fuck off with that shit already.
Excuse me, but people were saying the very same thing about Uncharted. That turned out great, both the multiplayer and the SP.

I would like to see co-op in Dead Space. Is it necessary? No. But they already surprised us once with Dead Space, so I would like to see how they handle the multiplayer dynamic if they choose to pursue it.

Revolting. Pfft. Getting the same old thing is what's revolting.

OH HELL YES!

Dead Space is one of my favorite games this gen. This news just made my day! :D
ILOVEASIANS said:
Oh thank Jesus. I've been waiting for this. Can't wait to see what they show.

And that's definitely Dead Space. Besides the concept art, it looks like you're seeing through Isaac's helmet on that image. Those three bars have the same general design as his helmet.

15nstmo.jpg
Nice catch!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Please no Multiplayer! Please!
Stumpokapow said:
The first game worked well because, like System Shock 2, it took place in a contained and fully realized environment.
And System Shock 2 worked well because it didn't try to have continuity with the original.

The first System Shock is treated like it didn't exist, and it's my eternal crusade to right that wrong.

tass0

Banned
MrHicks said:

Yes! This is what I mean. I actually lose like 70% of interest in a game when they add multiplayer when it is clearly not needed.

For example: RE5, I really excited about it, but then you find out they forced fucking co-op on your ass, on a Resident Evil game?! The game really sucked too, totally abandons what makes RE, RE. Just seem like some shit action movie that nobody could take seriously...

Screw this gen!

Atleast we still have some developers not fucking up, this is why I am so excited for God of War 3, Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The multiplayer trend seemed to skip last generation, but it's following the N64 path again. Everything including fucking Banjo-Tooie had a deathmatch mode shoved in. Seems like everyone's feeling like it's an absolute necessity again. Of course, natural and good multiplayer is still more than welcome.

Anyway, I completely loved Dead Space, so a sequel is pretty much a lock for me unless it's screwed up in obvious ways.

1stStrike

Banned
Lackluster PC controls are a major turn off for me on the first one. Still haven't gotten all the way through it. Perhaps they'll make the controls on the 2nd one with less fail.

If the first media reveal comes out next month, how far out (according to typical media cycle) does that mean the game is? 6 months? I want more Dead Space now now now, but the game is only a year old so that seems like a somewhat short development cycle for the sequel. Though I guess they could be starting the hype machine a a whole year out.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tobor said:
I'd rather they put the increased budget towards a few more hours of singleplayer content or extra DLC.

I understand I'm being unrealistic, and it's out of character for me, usually I side with whatever's better for the business(health of the industry and all that). This is where I want to take a stand and be obstinate. I'm just tired of every new singleplayer IP this gen going multiplayer for the sequel.

/vent

If they're not doing MP, it's harder to ask for a bigger budget. I'm not for having MP just for the sake of having MP either, the MP has to bring something fresh and new than just "having MP". I'm not sure there's a point to having MP in Dead Space either.

Kunan said:
Extraction is awesome

sipowicz had some crazy hatred of extraction from day 1 and when he actually played it and got proven totally wrong about everything he cried and said he was sorry but as soon as people forgot about that he crawled out of the shadows like a bloated mouse and began nibbling at its mighty heels again

DigiMish

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Hell to the yes. I absolutely adored the first game.

Isaac's coming back right? I like Isaac. I don't know why, I just do.

Maybe because he doesn't talk and isn't the generic male as far as looks go?

There is a way to do an awesome multiplayer horror game in the Dead Space universe. I can picture it very clearly in my head. I won't bother describing it though. I'm prototyping it later :lol

My fear is that they'll just go with the standard deathmatch crap instead, or something like a L4D knock-off.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
YES!
Bring it on, I love both the Dead Space games.
Just don't force co-op crap down my throat and leave the multiplayer to the Extraction games (tho I doubt there'll be a sequel to that one as well, a shame wasting that Wii engine nontheless -__-)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
K.Jack said:
Please no Multiplayer! Please!

And System Shock 2 worked well because it didn't try to have continuity with the original.

The first System Shock is treated like it didn't exist, and it's my eternal crusade to right that wrong.

They both have SHODAN!

tzare

as long as i want a sequel (or prequel), i really fear that the game does not disappoint just like RE lately.

Truant

Please, no 'globe trekking MGS4 adventure' bullshit. Make it one well realized setting, that makes sense. I hate when you travel all over the place in games, I want to get attached to the environtments.

Also, no multiplayer.

And amp up the horror factor.

Oh, and no machine guns.

Solo

Hated the shit out of the first game. Nice production values, absolutely godawful repetitive mission structure. Will pass on this one unless there are some major overhauls.

And yes, I know that all games are repetitive. But the good ones have fun things that are repetitive, or hide it well with other stuff.

this is definetely going to have some form of co-op.

dead space sold like shit, re5 sold really well, a well done multiplayer mode keeps the game away from the used market for some time (more sales for the publisher) => EA and visceral games will put a co-op/multi mode of some sort in this game.

you shouldn't bitch if you want DS2 though, first one bombed, do you expect EA to throw millions at visceral to have another commercial failure? it's preatty clear the game has changed from the first one or it wouldn't have been developed, at all.

(i quite liked DS1, too much linear and a bit repetitive though.)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Solo said:
Hated the shit out of the first game. Nice production values, absolutely godawful repetitive mission structure. Will pass on this one unless there are some major overhauls.

jesus, man.

jesus.

°°ToMmY°° said:
this is definetely going to have some form of co-op.

dead space sold like shit, re5 sold really well, a well done multiplayer mode keeps the game away from the used market for some time (more sales for the publisher) => EA and visceral games will put a co-op/multi mode of some sort in this game.

you shouldn't bitch if you want DS2 though, first one bombed, do you expect EA to throw millions at visceral to have another commercial failure? it's preatty clear the game has changed from the first one or it wouldn't have been developed, at all.

i quite liked DS1, too much linear and a bit repetitive though.
RE5 sold well because it was the sequel to RE4, one of the best games ever made, not because people were attracted to the multiplayer bullet point. Agreed about keeping the game away from the used market for a while, though. That doesn't make sense for everyone, though, and it might make more sense to release robust DLC for it (i.e. not just weapon skins with boosted stats, actual new playable content) in order to keep that player base retention rate up.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
jesus, man.

jesus.

Sorry, but "Isaac, we need you to repair the 3 reactors on level C, but first we need you to unlock the 2 airlocks on level A, but before that you need to turn on the 5 power stations to access level B, and then you need to destroy the 4 consoles on level D" level after level does nothing for me. And then when the structure does change up a bit, its with horrid asteroid shooting sections and no gravity sections. Yuck.

todahawk

YESSSS!

I was just watching Alien and really itching for some new space horror (beside the new AvP game)

I'm trying not to get too excited cuz im guessing it's a ways off. Same engine with tweaks seems most likely.

todahawk

Solo said:
Sorry, but "Isaac, we need you to repair the 3 reactors on level C, but first we need you to unlock the 2 airlocks on level A, but before that you need to turn on the 5 power stations to access level B, and then you need to destroy the 4 consoles on level D" level after level does nothing for me. And then when the structure does change up a bit, its with horrid asteroid shooting sections and no gravity sections. Yuck.

It reminded me of the movie Alien when they decided to abandon ship. They had shit to do before they could bail, get food, oxygen, set the detonator (i woulda got the hell out of Dodge and dealt with the food and air issues later) . Granted, it was a little played out but I could look past it as the rest of the game more than made up for it. Here's hoping they improve that in the sequel.

Solo

If they could take the first game's production values and gameplay but spruce it up with more variety like RE4, then Id be on board for sure.

badcrumble said:
RE5 sold well because it was the sequel to RE4, one of the best games ever made, not because people were attracted to the multiplayer bullet point. Agreed about keeping the game away from the used market for a while, though. That doesn't make sense for everyone, though, and it might make more sense to release robust DLC for it (i.e. not just weapon skins with boosted stats, actual new playable content) in order to keep that player base retention rate up.

re5 sold much more than 4, didn't it? re5 co-op has been a big selling point for many people, more than some DLCs would have ever achieved.

this is all beside the point though, as i can't see EA funding another DS with the same premise (when the first one sold like that).

this is coming from a person who enjoyed DS much more than RE5 and not becuase of co-op (which wasn't all that good).

Top Bottom