• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Space 2 Unveiled In Next OPM

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
First one is one of my all time favorite games...one if the first i Platinumed. :D

Would've completely passed on it if it werent for all the praise it got here on GAF.

nelkon and parker said:
Friggin sweet. Loved Deadspace. Even though I think it would reduce the scare factor, I hope they include 2 man coop.
If it's online only, they could handle it easily. Have the campaign be a story about how you get separated from your partner and are working to meet up again. You're both isolated, but can speak to each other. (Maybe have "comm time" be an expendable, so that you can't just yakety-yak all the time and ruin the atmosphere.) Each person has their own goals to complete, some of which are only unlock after your partner does some of theirs. And success by one partner makes things easier for the other; perhaps a tube-delivery system where you can send items to each other?

You're alone for all the scare elements, but there's certain times you can see but not reach the partner.
Or maybe you do meet up with them partway through, but it turns out to be an impostor.
It would be a different kind of co-op, since you'd only be in direct contact for, say, 40% of the game, but it'd be faithful to the IP while still allowing some social aspect.

And then at the end when you reunite, the game can throw a gigantic horde at you for the big climax.

I doubt they've done that for the game, though. Much more likely than campaign co-op is an online co-op survival mode.

Pctx

Banned
...going up against Bioshock 2 next year as well.

Quite frankly... I cannot wait to see what they have in store for the franchise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
The first game featured a hero with a personal motivation. The second game will either not feature Isaac or he will and there won't really be a personal motivation anymore.
Check the six backstory database entries that unlock after you beat the game. They can be found on GameFAQs and they reveal quite a large personal motivation for Isaac in the second game.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
I hope there's more "outside" environments in this, like the last level on that Planet(moon? i forgot)

we can still have a ship but i hope you're not trap in it for most of the game anymore.
Kiss the zero-grav and zero-oxygen environments goodbye, I guess.

What I'd love to see is Dead Space done as Metroidvania inside a ship of the same scale as DS1 or larger. A tram system where you can actually choose your destination. Weapons that all feel like utility items, as befits an engineer, and can be used for solving different environmental obstacles.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
A big part of why I liked the first one was the sense of claustrophobia and isolation from being trapped on a ship in space -- IMO that's a must-have for the sequel. I don't want to walk around on a planet or anything else that would present a large, open space.

Kuraudo

Banned
Sweet. If they have a greater variety of enemies throughout the game and stop locking you in rooms fighting multiple waves of them then they'll have the perfect action horror title for this gen.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
badcrumble said:
Kiss the zero-grav and zero-oxygen environments goodbye, I guess.

What I'd love to see is Dead Space done as Metroidvania inside a ship of the same scale as DS1 or larger. A tram system where you can actually choose your destination. Weapons that all feel like utility items, as befits an engineer, and can be used for solving different environmental obstacles.

we can have it all

maybe 1/2 of the game on a ship and the other half on some abandoned outpost on a moon or planet.

Pctx

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
we can have it all

maybe 1/2 of the game on a ship and the other half on some abandoned outpost on a moon or planet.

I would hope the devs would be smart enough to figure that one out given that "Dead Space" is in the title of the sequel.

Tobor

yankeehater said:
You dont have to play the mp if you dont want to, I want mp in every game.
This is not an acceptable compromise. Dev time and money being taken away from singleplayer in order to half ass a multiplayer mode for a bullet point on the box is not resolved by my not playing it.

Massa

Yay ! Have been waiting for this announcement, looking forward to the VGA teaser.

Now give me Mirror's Edge 2, dammit.

Doubledex said:
Already? Thought they were working on Dantes Inferno?

They have separate teams.

Pctx

Banned
Tobor said:
This is not an acceptable compromise. Dev time and money being taken away from singleplayer in order to half ass a multiplayer mode for a bullet point on the box is not resolved by my not playing it.
This.

Dead Space 2 multiplayer would just bungle the series IMO.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Tobor said:

but if it's really really REALLY half-assed, then it won't hurt single player. so i'll be happy if they make it really bad multiplayer. hell, maybe they've got an employee who's only there because of some legal obligation they have to him, so they can have him make the shitty multiplayer mode so he won't fuck up the incredible story mode.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tobor said:

Depends on whether they're hiring a dedicated team and working with an increased budget, not sure what more they can do with the mystery to keep it fresh though.

Dead Space is my favorite new I.P. this gen. The sound was simply brilliant in this game. Can't wait to do the stomp of DEATH again:)

Dyno

The idea that creeped me out the most in Dead Space was when you heard of the cemetary ships that the religious nuts made and stocked. There out there in the DS universe, crammed with bodies waiting for infection in a ship that's probably replete with religious idolatry...

Would make an awesome place to have a second game.

gfdoom

Dascu said:
v5y9s3.jpg

I know we all know it's Deadspace2, but another confirmation is the shape the image is cropped in. It's the front visors of Issacs helmet. It's as if we're looking thru Issacs eyes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I forsee Multiplayer being added in an attempt for more sales. I forsee it failing badly. =/

Dascu

Doubledex said:
THREE? WTF that's new to me. Thanks
One, the original Dead Space team, is working on DS2. The second is working on Dante's Inferno and the third is presumably working on The Ripper.

Oli

I hope this means that Mirrors Edge 2 news could surface sometime in the near future. Would be really nice EA. ;D

OT good news for Dead Space.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought Dead Space was just okay...until that final boss fight. The whole scene was just eerily beautiful.

yes. yes! yeesss! yeeeeesssssssssss!!!! YEEEES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS OH GOD YES YES YES YES YES YES! OH GOOOOD YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!11111!!1!1!11

...was it as good for me as it was for you?
25sop6g.gif

Top Bottom