• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny 2 coming to PC

Corpekata

Banned
There's no way they are releasing this as a Win 10 UWP lol. No AAA third party is touching that without major incentive, especially a game with frequent updates, and one that is heavily partnered with Sony marketing wise.

Totally believable then.

Destiny 2, which hasn't even been announced, its coming to PC guys!

I mean, we know from the original court documents that leaked our first details of the game that there was going to be sequels, and that the second one was planned to be coming to PC. Originally the first game was going to be a 360 and XOne exclusive, released in 2013. Then it got pushed back to 2014 and released on Playstation also. Kind of interesting that the exlsucivity deal fell apart to the point that the PS4 version actually has "exclusive" content.

Any way. The sequel was planned for Playstation and PC back then. I honestly think that if the game hadn't launched to the reception it did, we would have gotten a port of the original along with Taken King. They have been too busy righting the ship for that to happen, though.

jschreier

I have also heard that D2 is coming to PC and that Vicarious Visions is working on it. Don't know about raid matchmaking (that'd be dumb imo unless they finally make matchmaking an option rather than a setting).

I expect D2 to feel more like a new game than a continuation of D1. What I heard is that the reason it was rebooted earlier this year (and is now helmed by GAF poster Luke Smith) is because the original version felt too much like an expansion. I'm expecting them to change everything. I don't think Bungie has decided yet what you'll be able to bring over from year 1 or what you'll get as a reward for being a long-term player. But I expect a fresh start.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We know D2 is coming, but yeah, waiting on that too for the PC confirmation.

To clarify, "Bish-checked" indicates that the person is in a position to be privy to the information that they're divulging and nothing more. The information itself isn't verified as that's, well, impossible.

Edit: nevermind
I have also heard that D2 is coming to PC and that Vicarious Visions is working on it. Don't know about raid matchmaking (that'd be dumb imo unless they finally make matchmaking an option rather than a setting).

I expect D2 to feel more like a new game than a continuation of D1. What I heard is that the reason it was rebooted earlier this year (and is now helmed by GAF poster Luke Smith) is because the original version felt too much like an expansion. I'm expecting them to change everything. I don't think Bungie has decided yet what you'll be able to bring over from year 1 or what you'll get as a reward for being a long-term player. But I expect a fresh start.
Ugh. A fresh start is my worst case scenario with Destiny 2, to the point where I might just call it quits.
They need to let us transfer our gear. Retire the OP stuff again if you have to Bungie.

Deku Tree

If they allow to copy characters to PC and still maintain my PS4 characters I'm in for double-dipping.

I'll get Destiny 2 on PS4 anyways due to my friends not having gaming PCs, but Crucible 60fps is an crazy awesome thought.

Who said your characters are coming into D2? It's a new game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wouldnt really suprise me.

Im more surprised that Activision didnt bring Destiny to PC eventually. Thought they might have done it with The Taken King or Rise of Iron but alas.

Good. It should probably be on there.

Hacking means I would probably never play it on there but its nice for the people who are there.

steam? or blizzard stuff (old battle net)

They could just break out Bungie.net into a battle.net kinda thing.

Or maybe Activision is going to try break out from Steam monopoly and start their own system (which might explain why Battle.net is going away)

Takuan

I hope it's true. I can't think of a console game I've poured this much time into, ever. I'd be playing RoI for sure if I hadn't sold my PS4.

Z3M0G

People who say this have never raided...you would do it once and say "fuck this" and never again

The only time i can see it working is months into the raid when everyone can do it backwards and forwards and someone would come in with no knowledge and ruin that

Thanks for supporting my point. It is not likely actually part of Destiny 2 plan. Because they don't want to do it now, so why would they want to do it later.

Why bring players back right now when you can get people to buy another game?

That new game is still a year away, and there is a new retail edition of Destiny that just released this month...

Good

How it should be

Minus the sandbox. Dont fix that feel good shooting goodness. Game plays like a dream

darthbob

Knew you'd be in this thread lol

I always assumed that D2 was going to be an expansion on D1, like TTK but if they're truly moving over to a new 'world' then that really could open up the universe when free from the shackles of last-gen.

DMONKUMA

Uhhh.....sorry I don't believe you.

Just saying you know someone that's saw the details doesn't make it believable.

Edit:I would be more than happy to have Destiny 2 on PC but need something actual....

wbEMX

Well, I hope for proper character imports for a game like this. Basically losing everything after three years is dumb.

But okay, let me put it this way: I would double-dip, if I could share characters between platforms, even if I need to create new ones. Being able to have the same character on both PS4 and PC would be nice.

E92 M3

Far more complex MMOs with longer more complex raid mechanics than Destiny have no issue with matchmaking in raids.

All they have to do is allow automatic voice coms enabled when you play via matchmaking, and have gear score restrictions set in place. All simple things other MMOs have done.

Where does this nonsense come from? Other MMOs don't dumb down their raids for matchmaking

Different type of game and different type of community. Destiny randoms can barely complete heroic strikes that have simple objectives. Hell, premade groups wipe at raids all the time as well. Destiny raids are unique for the FPS genre and require a very specific type of MM.

How much did they have to throw away?

Rymuth

I've already resigned myself to my character not making it over to Destiny 2. Just fixing and patching Destiny sounded like a quagmire from everything we've heard/read so bringing our stuff over will be a colossal nightmare.

It's why I never picked up ROI. I'm ready to start fresh in Destiny 2.

destiny is a game that would greatly benefit from crossplay (at least for PvE). activision, pull your strings and get Sony and Microsoft to agree to cross play that works with their policies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm imagining that the "raid matchmaking" will actually be an in game looking for group tool where you can specific a variety of things instead of just an immediate shove-together like it currently works.

FelipeMGM

Hmmm, even though Im a long time player of it, I dont bother the fresh start. But I do hope they reward D1 players on some level

I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T come to PC.

There's no reason for it not to. It's not like Destiny 1 where they had to support last-gen consoles for a total of 4 platforms. Now that they've officially ended last-gen console support, if they add PC they will only have to support 3.

Deadstar

Destiny on steam would be an absolute monster. I hope it allows them to open up the world and make it more impressive. Also imagine the mouse and keyboard feel. Just imagine it.

LordRaptor

In before people throwing weird shade at the PC for some reas-

Hope its cross play and buy windows store and crossplay between ps4 and xbox/pc

Would be the best thing ever

EDIT: If they do launch destiny in a non secure way that would allow modding, they better leave the ps4 and xbox one versions as far away as possible...game will be hack heaven six seconds in and everything will be meaningless

nvm

BizzyBum

The fresh start thing makes sense. Even though it kinda sucks for long time D1 players, you don't want to alienate newcomers to D2 if it's just a continuation of D1 where old players get lots of benefits.

I'm sure Bungie will give some cool rewards to D1 vets, though.

jet1911

Hmmm, even though Im a long time player of it, I dont bother the fresh start. But I do hope they reward D1 players on some level

Gold Gjallarhorn for everyone!

Destiny on steam would be an absolute monster. I hope it allows them to open up the world and make it more impressive. Also imagine the mouse and keyboard feel. Just imagine it.

Wonder how they'd adjust the auto aim for the m/kb though.

hqdefault.jpg
Now that's something I haven't seen for quite some time.

I thought they've given the impression that you'd be carrying your character over for the life of the series. I won't be shocked (or disappointed) at all if that turns out to not be the case in the end. But, I think that's what they had intended until things turned out the way they did. No on was expecting a "burn down and start over" approach to Destiny 2.

lt519

I'm OK with a fresh start, but it'd be a shame to lose the relationship I've built with my hunter and the various other shit classes. I could see an all new "world" as in areas to explore but I hope they don't totally retool the classes/weapons. It takes forever to balance them well and I don't want Destiny 2 to be a game that is totally unbalanced until Y2. Some new weapons, sure, maybe a new class altogether, but I like Hunter/Titan/Warlock.

Hopefully an in game LFG and not forced Raid Matchmaking like Heroic Strikes. Sometimes you want to just jump into a raid or NF by yourself.

tl;dr Keep the classes, weapon archetypes, but dump progress and create all new areas/weapons.

Deku Tree

I'm imagining that the "raid matchmaking" will actually be an in game looking for group tool where you can specific a variety of things instead of just an immediate shove-together like it currently works.

They already have that tool in the destiny mobile app. It's pretty good and very comprehensive, although I don't use it because I try to play with people I know from playing the game.

Truant

I'm worried that the recent reboot will just leave us with another D1 situation, where a half-baked game is packaged and sold for 60$.

I love TTK, so I'm not here to hate.

morpix

Hope its cross play and buy windows store and crossplay between ps4 and xbox/pc

Would be the best thing ever

Bungie is in a good position to do cross-play as they run their own servers/matchmaking. So it's not dependent on one platform holder.
Street Fighter V had to do it this way as well with CFN.

About the whole fresh start thing

Its obvious they need a completely new Introduction to the Destiny world since the intro to D1 was about as impactful as tossing mashed potatoes at a wall. A new intro mission for new characters would be welcome.

Maybe character imports have a slightly altered version of that? I am sure they will be adding a few new classes as well so old players will probably want to start a new character anyway at some point.

Would be cool if they patched in some hooks leading towards some gaint world changing event that is Destiny 2 in Destiny 1 next summer before the laedup to release (if D2 even makes 2017 that is). Sort of like Final Fantasy 14 had a nice little build before the world ending and FF14 A realm reborn hit.

This part killed it, sorry. If this were true, they would have already flipped that switch in current Destiny by now if they felt it would make things better.

Suddenly adding matchmaking for Raids would bring a LOT of players back to Destiny right now.

Holy shit, development is just flipping switches? I'm fucking out guys, I'm gonna make a AAA.

Raven117

Raid matchmaking in = shittier raids unless the requirements are stringent.

Yup. Why folks don't see it is beyond me.

In game "LFG" IMO is the best answer.

As for Destiny 2...while I understand there needs to be some "fresh start" to it, they do need to reward the year 1-3 players that stuck with the game inspite of its flaws, especially the year 1 players. We became legend :(

Bl@de

I would definetly play in that case with a friend who always loved Marathon etc.. Would be a great co-op shooter

Deadstar

I thought they've given the impression that you'd be carrying your character over for the life of the series. I won't be shocked (or disappointed) at all if that turns out to not be the case in the end. But, I think that's what they had intended until things turned out the way they did. No on was expecting a "burn down and start over" approach to Destiny 2.

If I have to trash my character for Destiny 2 to be a better game so be it. My character was a few sliders. I don't feel attached to it. The weapons and gear change all the time because the old stuff becomes obsolete.

Top Bottom