• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
The mission in the beta clearly looked like it was made for one player, cutscenes included. If the rest is the same, then yeah..

It's probably like 3-4 hours anyway, I'm not expecting much.

Destiny 1 was full co-op. Cutscenes just ignored that you showed up with a full fireteam.

It was not elegant, but it was fun.

Murman

Anybody who posts that campaign coop first run is the main reason for playing Destiny are not really Destiny players anyway.

Strikes, nightfall, Raid, iron Banner, open world events,Trials is Destiny for most.

Interesting criteria as to what constitutes a "Destiny player"...

I can understand that it sucks a bit for those who wanted to co-op the story, but for it to be an absolute deal breaker? Seems a bit extreme as the end game (strikes, raids and even pvp) are arguably the most enjoyable aspects of Destiny and those promote co-op above all else.

I would agree it's a strange design choice, but it doesn't bother me that much. Hope it isn't true for those wanted to enjoy the story with a buddy.

So thread title is wrong? There actually is a coop campaign but you have to unlock it.

It really is a disappointment and I hope it's just wrong information. This is something they can change with a patch tho.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm pretty much only interested in Destiny 2 as a full cooperative experience with my friends, much like how we played through many other games, including the not-exactly-the-same Borderlands 1 and 2. This... kinda lowers our overall hype for it??

GlamFM

Banned
So thread title is wrong? There actually is a coop campaign but you have to unlock it.

It really is a disappointment and I hope it's just wrong information. This is something they can change with a patch tho.

Thread title is accurate. Unless/until we get other info.

Theorry

I think you could team up after reaching the tower.

So 3rd mission or so. I could be wrong of course.

Yeah thats what i thought. I think its gonna be the same way with D2. Looking at how the first mission went and you losing the light. Probably need to get it back first and then it opens up. Btw the third subclass missions in TTK were also solo only. :)

Alexious

How about I get the game for the reasons I want ?.

If people want to replay the same missions for 500 hours to farm for weapons and gear then that's fine.
I'm ok with spending $40 on this game (once there is a price drop or sale) for a cool 8-10 hours campaign and PVP multiplayer.

It just comes across as a stupid design choice. If they decided to make the story single player only that would be one thing. But since a way to play it with others is in the game already i t's really fucking stupid to not give that option from the start.

I don't even know why it bothers you. There is literally nothing stopping you from playing the story alone. You are arguing against offering more options.

I have never argued against offering more options. Clearly, it would have been better that way.
I am arguing that it cannot be a big deal because the story is a minor component in the grand scheme of Destiny's range of activities.

GlamFM

Banned
Yeah thats what i thought. I think its gonna be the same way with D2. Looking at how the first mission went and you losing the light. Probably need to get it back first and then it opens up. Btw the third subclass missions in TTK were also solo only. :)

Yeah. I´m fine with no co-op until reaching the farm.

Kyoufu

How deep into the game is the Farm? Is it early game like the Tower was in D1?

... what why? Why would they do this? Why would there be a section of Homecoming where there are other players? What the hell?

Also, the story mode is single player only the first time isn't that bad because in every story based multiplayer game I've ever played there's been a GO GO GO GO GO SKIP THE CUTSCENES guy in every group.

I have never argued against offering more options. Clearly, it would have been better that way.
I am arguing that it cannot be a big deal because the story is a minor component in the grand scheme of Destiny's range of activities.

I can tell you right now for my partner and I, this ruins the game. To the point of never touching it, unless it's changed in the future. We don't care if it has other activities later, first impressions matter and neither of us want to go through the game solo.

Also, the story mode is single player only the first time isn't that bad because in every story based multiplayer game I've ever played there's been a GO GO GO GO GO SKIP THE CUTSCENES guy in every group.

I never have this experience because I play with actual friends that aren't impatient morons.

UberLevi

It's also worth noting that in cutscenes characters commonly refer to your guardian as if they're unique and solitary within the story.

i.e. Amanda Holliday in Homecoming says "Zavala, I picked up that guardian you never shut up about." so it would be odd to play through these story missions with a fireteam on the first run-through while characters refer to you singularly.

But ultimately I think the main reason for this decision is because the story is likely going to be feature-gated. Meaning that you unlock new mechanics and features standard to the game as you progress through the story. Basically, imagine the campaign as one big tutorial preparing you one step at a time for the full Destiny experience. Once you've made it through and have access to the full suite of features the game has to offer, there's no reason not to let fireteams replay those missions. Otherwise, if someone with further progress than you joined you on your first pass through the story missions, you'd have mismatched access to certain mechanics or features within the game that aren't earned until later on within the campaign.

GlamFM

Banned
Reading it again, it says: This single player set of story missions....

Set - so not all missions.

Unless the do mean all missions and just exclude Strikes and patrol stuff.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
So first play it through for the story solo, then grind away with friends after that? This is probably how they make sure we focus on the story (plus add AI companions?) and I personally don't mind if after the campaign I can just do every pretty much as normal like in D1. Some clarification would be great here though. I'm sure we'll see some soon.

Maybe the campaign is so good they want you to play it solo to experience it
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Seems good to me.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
As a solo player this news doesn't affect me. However if it's true, is surprising since Bungie always supported co-op campaigns in the past.

SadlerX84

This makes me very sad.

I always enjoyed playing through the story with a friend... especially when doing your 2nd and 3rd characters.

Also I had friends that couldn't bring themselves to complete the story with their alts without dragging me along for the ride.

If true... this really just killed my hype as part of the magic (for me at least) was having a wing-man by your side and experiencing everything first time together.

Recall

They will put the feature back in with a piece of DLC down the road...

...you know it will happen

I'm not even sure what Destiny is now.

masterkajo

I don't get how people can defend something where all they do is take away choice. Those that want to play solo can, those want want to play coop should be able to but can't. Simple as that.
Question is why?

UberLevi

They will put the feature back in with a piece of DLC down the road...

...you know it will happen

The feature already exists, you just have to complete story mode once. Then you get to replay with a fireteam. It says so right in the OP.

Fbh

Then you are arguing that there is a "right way" to play destiny which is just silly.

People enjoy games for different reasons. I know people that buy COD every year mostly for the single player campaign, people that buy FIFA for the career mode, people that got both MKX and injustice 2 for the story mode, people that play Souls games exclusively in Coop, people that just played the campaign in StarCraft 2 and others that never touched a it and jumped straight to multiplayer.

I and my friends enjoyed D1 for it's coop campaign and PVP. We didn't really care that much about the grindy and repetitive strikes and missions.
If it's going to be a pain in the ass to play the campaign in coop then it lowers our excitemer for the game.

Tapejara

I don't mind a handful of singleplayer-only missions, but if the entire campaign has to be played solo before I can run through it with buddies that's going to be a huge detriment to my experience. Only thing I ever did solo in D1 was patrol and PvP grinding, discovering the story and other PvE elements was best with friends.

I don't see what's wrong with this. Honestly, narrative heavy games almost always lose something when played cooperatively. This way, players will be able to enjoy the plot the first time around and then replay the missions with friends if they want to.

That would make sense if Destiny actually had a story.

uceenk

as indicate in Demo, we played solo on Story mission, so i didn't expect it to be co-op, so that's fine by me

Does it suck? Probably.

Does it matter? Nope.

Once you get through the story (and most people are going to be rushing through it as usual) you never get back to it.

My guess is this is why they're stepping back from 80+ missions which makes it sound like it's full campaign to 20+ mission campaign or whatever they're saying now.

You can pick missions individually. That´s not a campaign.

If they are the same missions that you play the first time solo, how is it not a campaign? Is there something I'm not getting?

Edit: I think I get it now, you mean it isn't a campaign in the traditional sense of it tracking your progress with your friend and advancing through it automatically, instead you have to choose them manually which takes you out from the experience.

Still super hyped, but if true what were they thinking?

Bungie is the ultimate "one step forward, two steps back" developer.

I just want an emote wheel :(

Kyoufu

First time you play a mission which you'll play a thousand times over and over has to be solo - it's not that big a deal.

It's a huge deal. My friends and I were planning on going through the campaign on Tuesday with all 3 characters.

Now we have to do it solo in what is supposed to be a co-op game.

False alarm if the co-op opens once you do the first few missions or whatever, but if it's the entire thing then it's a dealbreaker for my friends and I.

SilentRob

This is great news for me personally because I play the game on my own and that means the campaign - which is what I'm looking forward the most - was balanced and designed around one person playing it but this would still be a completely baffling decision since I consider myself to be in the minorty here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom